What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TD Bank be aware potential hack (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So my daughter in August we converted her old savings account into a new savings and checking account . She has a lot in savings but only $200 in checking. So I'm a custodian on the account, she turned 18 3 days ago.

The reason I bring this up is I log in tonight and noticed she "used" her card. However, someone has illegally used her card. The same website has 13 purchases. I call they say sorry she has to call, I say she's at school but I will have her call. So we call on a conference call. The lady flips out woah woah there are 2 people on the call? They say she has to ask all the questions. Wtf.... so she does ok. She asked to pick it up instead of mailing whatever. So I say can I ask a question they say she has to authorize that . Again I'm on her account, it's literally linked to my online banking. I simply ask can you tell me how this got stolen if the card has never been used.? How can you assure me it doesn't happen again?

Why can't I ask about the pending transactions?

Lady flips out I flip out lol.

Anyway, my point in all this is this is why I don't deal with debit cards and how the hell can the kids account be stolen if she's never used the card?

Eta: poor kid has been an adult for 4 days and has to deal with this :lol:

Last edited:
If they hack the bank, doesnt matter if its been used or not.
True.... unless they got card numbers? Just baffled. Have the initial transfer in August at that's it... card in her wallet never been used

Last edited:
I'd get a better bank on the customer service side. And it makes no difference whether or not it's a debit or credit card if it was hacked. And you reported the problem within 48 hours. Your protection should be the same for both.

Internet research says clothing from China

Shein is the name
I've read about lots of problems/fraudulent activity related to Shein. It's possible she bought something from them (they sell really inexpensive clothes) and now is having an issue.

I'd get a better bank on the customer service side. And it makes no difference whether or not it's a debit or credit card if it was hacked. And you reported the problem within 48 hours. Your protection should be the same for both.
I always thought debit cards offered less fraud protection than debit. Guess it depends on the bank/creditor

I always thought debit cards offered less fraud protection than debit. Guess it depends on the bank/creditor
It is more circumstantial. This article sums it up pretty well.

The good bit:

Debit card fraud​

According to the EFTA, your potential liability for fraudulent debit card transactions is virtually unlimited. You have up to 60 days to report a lost or stolen card under the EFTA. After that, you simply lose whatever money was taken, even funds siphoned from linked accounts. The exact liability limits under the EFTA are:
  • Lost or stolen card reported before unauthorized transactions: zero liability.
  • Lost or stolen card reported within two days: $50 liability limit.
  • Lost or stolen card reported within 60 days: $500 liability limit.
  • After 60 days: no protection.
It's important to note that if your card is not physically lost or stolen, you have 60 days to report fraudulent transactions with zero liability. If only your card number is stolen, the 60 days start from the date of the statement on which a fraudulent transaction appears.

Shein is the name
I've read about lots of problems/fraudulent activity related to Shein. It's possible she bought something from them (they sell really inexpensive clothes) and now is having an issue.

True.... unless they got card numbers? Just baffled. Have the initial transfer in August at that's it... card in her wallet never been used
obviously....if she used the number for an online purchase that could do it too. is the account hooked to any discount programs like target, gas programs etc?

Again.... she has never used the card ever.

There are no transactions until yesterday. When there were 13 consecutive $20 ish transactions. When I asked if she used the card she said no. She also has never purchased clothing lol

I only got her the card just in case she needed cash for something. She has a CC for gas, thats it

Just baffled how someone got it

Last edited:

Shein is the name

obviously....if she used the number for an online purchase that could do it too. is the account hooked to any discount programs like target, gas programs etc?

There are no transactions until yesterday. When there were 13 consecutive $20 ish transactions. When I asked if she used the card she said no. She also has never purchased clothing lol

I only got her the card just in case she needed cash for something. She has a CC for gas, thats it

Again, don't yell at me. I didn't read your whole post. Just a few key words and then typed out something that might make sense.

It was ALL LOWER CASE.. ;)

Sitting in lobby at bank. Chatting with guy next to me same exact thing...... ruh roh.

Said he got his card a month ago never used it.

In this case, the most logical conclusion is that they got it from TD Bank.

It is more circumstantial. This article sums it up pretty well.

The good bit:

Debit card fraud​

According to the EFTA, your potential liability for fraudulent debit card transactions is virtually unlimited. You have up to 60 days to report a lost or stolen card under the EFTA. After that, you simply lose whatever money was taken, even funds siphoned from linked accounts. The exact liability limits under the EFTA are:
  • Lost or stolen card reported before unauthorized transactions: zero liability.
  • Lost or stolen card reported within two days: $50 liability limit.
  • Lost or stolen card reported within 60 days: $500 liability limit.
  • After 60 days: no protection.
It's important to note that if your card is not physically lost or stolen, you have 60 days to report fraudulent transactions with zero liability. If only your card number is stolen, the 60 days start from the date of the statement on which a fraudulent transaction appears.
JMHO, debit is higher risk, and I try to avoid using on untrusted sites.

For credit cards, protections for unauthorized use is forever under FCBA. It is the retailer/bank burden to prove authorized use, or the debt must be reversed. The law has $50 max liability, but Mastercard/visa generally waive that.

The article you linked says that for debit cards, it is 60 day clock to notify of unauth use - and no limit to what you can loose if asleep at the wheel.

Since this was bumped....still pissed at call lady since it's a joint account lol

Have a provisional credit but they say it will be about 90 days to close the investigation. What a joke, but we did not get a new card yet since it was hacked without using we will wait a bit

Fwiw…my guess is her email is hacked and they got into her bank account from there. Once they are in the bank account they can either do a virtual card (if the company supports that) or ACHs. Either that or they got the card from the mail.

Both are fairly common.

And CX going insane is a joke. File a dispute. Use “dispute”. Say you’re filing a complaint with the OCC and the CFPB. Forward them the complaint. That’ll speed up the process.

Fwiw…my guess is her email is hacked and they got into her bank account from there. Once they are in the bank account they can either do a virtual card (if the company supports that) or ACHs. Either that or they got the card from the mail.

Both are fairly common.

And CX going insane is a joke. File a dispute. Use “dispute”. Say you’re filing a complaint with the OCC and the CFPB. Forward them the complaint. That’ll speed up the process.
We got the card at the branch, I was with her. Her email doesn't have any bank info that I know of, I get the statement. Multiple people had the same issue

I have no idea what your last paragraph even means

Have a provisional credit but they say it will be about 90 days to close the investigation. What a joke, but we did not get a new card yet since it was hacked without using we will wait a bit
This is standard. The “investigation” is basically charging it back to the merchant. The merchant gets time to review and fight if they feel like they have a case that it was your daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread