What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Foster, WR, BUF (2 Viewers)

Heading into FFPC roster cut down, I shipped off Foster for a 2019 late 4th. He wasn’t going to make my keeper list anyway so I got something for him. I tried to get a late 3rd and was rejected fwiw.  

They’re both pretty much just deep threats.
I disagree. That seems like a close minded evaluation of him, especially given his age. They gave him chances to run some intermediate routes later in the season and he did fairly well. Room to work on them and he'll certainly get that chance with this offseason. He was able to get some good separation on some sideline comebacks 10-15 yards out. They didn't give him much work over the middle of the field but I suppose there's not going to be much need to with guys like Brown and Beasley.

I disagree. That seems like a close minded evaluation of him, especially given his age. They gave him chances to run some intermediate routes later in the season and he did fairly well. Room to work on them and he'll certainly get that chance with this offseason. He was able to get some good separation on some sideline comebacks 10-15 yards out. They didn't give him much work over the middle of the field but I suppose there's not going to be much need to with guys like Brown and Beasley.
I didn’t say that’s all Foster will ever be, but that’s how he was mostly used last season.

I think it’s John Brown who you seem to be mostly confused about. He’s not a slot guy / over the middle guy, he’s mostly used as a deep threat also.

I think the point that @kittenmittens was making is that adding Brown was odd since he’s somewhay superfluous to what Foster does and perhaps stunts Foster’s growth. The Bills were better off using that money elsewhere.

I didn’t say that’s all Foster will ever be, but that’s how he was mostly used last season.

I think it’s John Brown who you seem to be mostly confused about. He’s not a slot guy / over the middle guy, he’s mostly used as a deep threat also.

I think the point that @kittenmittens was making is that adding Brown was odd since he’s somewhay superfluous to what Foster does and perhaps stunts Foster’s growth. The Bills were better off using that money elsewhere.
That was definitely the point he was making.   I'm not a Ravens fan, and really didn't like watching a Flacco-run offense, but it seemed like Brown was able to get open on intermediate routes too.  He just never got clean throws sent his way on those routes.  Just my take.   But again, I rarely watched the Ravens because Flacco was so brutally awful.

That was definitely the point he was making.   I'm not a Ravens fan, and really didn't like watching a Flacco-run offense, but it seemed like Brown was able to get open on intermediate routes too.  He just never got clean throws sent his way on those routes.  Just my take.   But again, I rarely watched the Ravens because Flacco was so brutally awful.
I don't disagree with this - I do think that Allen won't be any better than Flacco at putting the ball in the right place at the right time on intermediate routes.

If GM is making the call, TE makes sense. But if ownership is involved, they won't draft a serious threat to Jason Croom. Since he is dating Mrs. Pegula's daughter. Gives him some job security.
Watch these clowns draft DK Metcalf with their top pick.

"Haven't you guys play Madden?  Just run the All Veritcals play and then run with your fast QB!"

kittenmittens said:
Watch these clowns draft DK Metcalf with their top pick.

"Haven't you guys play Madden?  Just run the All Veritcals play and then run with your fast QB!"
I dont think it would be a bad move....shrug

I dont think it would be a bad move....shrug
I was only half kidding.  It might be a good fit and actually work with Allen if he has lots of deep threat types on the field.   That does seem like his game at this point.  It would be kind of weird to draft Metcalf after signing Brown and already having Foster, but maybe they have a plan. 

It's weird how things that constantly worked in Madden two decades ago are becoming NFL staples now.  Things like "pick" plays, dumping off to fast RBs with mismatches in the flat, tight bunch formations to isolate WRs and make more room on the outside, using motion to reveal coverage pre-snap (not that that is new)... 

Buffalo’s Pass Offense Made A Huge Second Half Leap Thanks To A Rookie

Buffalo’s Pass Offense Made A Huge Second Half Leap Thanks To A Rookie

... much of the improvement in pass efficiency was driven by Buffalo’s huge jump in yards per completion. And much of that improvement was due to the breakout performance by Robert Foster.  The rookie wideout had just two receptions for 30 yards through week 9, but in the team’s final 7 games, he had 25 catches for 511 yards, a 20.4 YPC average. 
The graph below shows Buffalo's passing offense versus league average in each game last year

Football Perspective‏ @fbgchase

The graph below shows Buffalo's passing offense versus league average in each game last year. Robert Foster became a part of the offense beginning in game 10, in case you couldn't tell.

---------------------------------------------------

Chris B. Brown‏Verified account @smartfootball

The best stat here is that Bills rookie WR Robert Foster had more receiving yards in weeks 9-16 of his first NFL season than he had during his *entire college career* at Alabama (as he never broke 400 career college receiving yards)

Bracie Smathers said:
My favorite part about all of this, is that every projection and discussion site I've been to just tosses him way back down the depth chart to #4 like he's yesterday's lunch. If BUFF doesn't utilize him after what he did last season, they deserve whatever crappy receiving corps they'll end up with. He's more than proven himself IMO.

My favorite part about all of this, is that every projection and discussion site I've been to just tosses him way back down the depth chart to #4 like he's yesterday's lunch. If BUFF doesn't utilize him after what he did last season, they deserve whatever crappy receiving corps they'll end up with. He's more than proven himself IMO.
I think this is jumping the gun. I own him and want him to be the real deal. But I am wary that he may just be another keelan cole. And really that's the most likely outcome.

I think this is jumping the gun. I own him and want him to be the real deal. But I am wary that he may just be another keelan cole. And really that's the most likely outcome.
If half a season of what he did isn't a large enough sample size for you to play him over some run of the mill journeymen FAs, what are you looking for?

Care to support the bolded section?
I am not an nfl coach or talent evaluator. But in my fantasy football experience, an undrafted wide receiver with 27 catches has not yet proven himself. In addition, most undrafted players aren't very good.  I'm ok if you have a different opinion. Just something to consider. I hope he turns into something.

I am not an nfl coach or talent evaluator. But in my fantasy football experience, an undrafted wide receiver with 27 catches has not yet proven himself. In addition, most undrafted players aren't very good.  I'm ok if you have a different opinion. Just something to consider. I hope he turns into something.
Most drafted players from the 4th round on aren’t very good either. But to dismiss them out of hand is silly. 

I also think Foster has a long way to go to win my praises, but he is certainly someone to pay attention to. 

I got him on the cheap in one dynasty. Honestly wish I had a bit more of him. I get the hesitation and a player like him I don’t often put much stock in (with pretty much nill college production). Guy was explosive last year though. I guess my concern is John Brown being brought in to take that role. Not sure what Buffalo’s plan is. Maybe they don’t even know what they have in Foster.

Most drafted players from the 4th round on aren’t very good either. But to dismiss them out of hand is silly. 

I also think Foster has a long way to go to win my praises, but he is certainly someone to pay attention to. 
He's on my roster, I'd say that's paying attention and not dismissing. I hope he does well. But he hasn't proved himself yet.

Robert Foster has run exclusively with the second-team offense to this point in training camp.

Zay Jones and John Brown have been operating as the outside receivers with Cole Beasley in the slot for the first-team offense. Foster has been working with Matt Barkley's group for the most part. Foster sat out minicamp with a foot injury after Buffalo went out and added Brown and Beasley in free agency. Foster had a big second half of 2018, posting at least 94 yards and/or one touchdown in five of the Bills' final seven games, which happened to coincide with Josh Allen's blastoff as a stud fantasy quarterback. Foster has mega talent and upside, but he's now stuck behind Jones and Brown.

SOURCE: Buffalo News

Jul 27, 2019, 12:28 PM ET

Kind of nice to get some clarity on the situation. I thought both  Foster and Jones showed nice potential down the stretch last year. 

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia still expects Robert Foster to make the Bills' 53-man roster.

Second-year UDFA Foster has had a shaky camp after his strong finish to 2018. Buscaglia reports the team still views him as a "developing receiver with upside and the ideal (No. 4)." There is a lot of summer left, but Foster looks like an end-of-bench hold in dynasty leagues and easy avoid in re-draft.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 6, 2019, 7:50 PM ET

Robert Foster has been battling a toe injury this offseason.

It's an injury that Foster sustained back in spring practice, so it must've been a pretty major one. Foster has notably been kept off the field with the starters this preseason despite showing lots of big-play ability (20.0 YPR) as a rookie. Now we know why. It's probably too late for Foster to work his way into meaningful Week 1 snaps, but he's still a receiver worth monitoring in hopes of him getting healthier.

SOURCE: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter

Aug 25, 2019, 4:24 PM ET

Kay, so enough with the games. Can anybody seriously tell me why this guy is buried behind Zay ####ing Jones? In what universe does this make sense? What are the criticisms of this guy's play beyond "lAcK oF eXpErIeNcE"?

Kay, so enough with the games. Can anybody seriously tell me why this guy is buried behind Zay ####ing Jones? In what universe does this make sense? What are the criticisms of this guy's play beyond "lAcK oF eXpErIeNcE"?
Zay is Buffalo's best blocking WR and was rolling guys on Sunday. 

Meanwhile, Foster didn't even attempt to block a defender on a screen and that defender tackled Singletary for a loss when it had the potential to be a big play.

Hardly mattered though because the Bills ran more 21 formation that anyone in the league Week 1. Neither Jones or Foster were on the field a bunch.

People haven't really caught on to this yet, but Buffalo is going to be similar to the Rams and Patriots on offense. You're going to see the style of offense vary a lot game to game with lots of in-game adjustments. You're also going to see lots of pre-snap movement to help identify the defense. Superstar overall talent isn't going to be as important for position players as having a particular skillset that can be utilized against certain opponents or situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
GroveDiesel said:
Zay is Buffalo's best blocking WR and was rolling guys on Sunday. 

Meanwhile, Foster didn't even attempt to block a defender on a screen and that defender tackled Singletary for a loss when it had the potential to be a big play.

Hardly mattered though because the Bills ran more 21 formation that anyone in the league Week 1. Neither Jones or Foster were on the field a bunch.

People haven't really caught on to this yet, but Buffalo is going to be similar to the Rams and Patriots on offense. You're going to see the style of offense vary a lot game to game with lots of in-game adjustments. You're also going to see lots of pre-snap movement to help identify the defense. Superstar overall talent isn't going to be as important for position players as having a particular skillset that can be utilized against certain opponents or situations.
That could help Beasley with lots of short throws, right? He had 9 targets last week and was in on 70% of the plays. 

That could help Beasley with lots of short throws, right? He had 9 targets last week and was in on 70% of the plays. 
Beasley is definitely going to be a big part of the offense...as long as he doesn't keep dropping passes. He's definitely JA's #1 safety valve.

Jones missing practice today.  If he misses time, I would think Foster gets on the field and gets looks.  But if Allen is out, may not ultimately matter.

Washington signed WR Robert Foster, formerly of the Bills.

Foster has been a favorite on Football Twitter as a capable deep threat on the perimeter. The Alabama product has a 9.8 YPT average on 62 career targets, and those targets came from Josh Allen before he was a hipster MVP candidate. Washington's receiver depth chart is a current joke behind Terry McLaurin, so hopefully Foster can see some snaps in the second half of the season. He, of course, is not actually on the fantasy radar right now.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: Matt Zenitz on Twitter

Oct 20, 2020, 9:25 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread