What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (2 Viewers)

Last four games after showing up with a hammy on the injury report reveal a whole lot of mid-teen scoring in standard leagues.

In 25 yd. per point, 4 TD leagues he was 14.32, 12.96, 17.36, 12.96.

That won't get it done this year at all, but his future looks bright when paired with Kingsbury on volume alone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Kyler Murray (hamstring) will practice Tuesday.

Monday's MRI showed Murray "tweaked" his hamstring against the Seahawks, but that won't stop him from participating in Tuesday's light workout. Kingsbury added that the team will still "be smart" when determining if Murray can/should play in their regular season finale against the Rams. Brett Hundley would make his first regular season start under Kingsbury if Murray is ruled out.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Dec 24, 2019, 12:11 PM ET

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Kyler Murray (questionable, hamstring) remains a "true" game-time decision for Week 17 against the Rams.

Murray strained his hamstring against the Seahawks in Week 16 but nonetheless practiced on a limited basis this week. His status for Sunday's 4:25 PM ET kickoff could go down to the wire. The Cardinals recently promoted practice-squad QB Drew Anderson, who would serve as Brett Hundley's backup if Murray can't go against the Rams in Sunday's finale.

RELATED: 

Brett Hundley

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 29, 2019, 8:17 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Kyler Murray (hamstring) is expected to play Week 17 against the Rams.

Murray needs to escape pre-game warmups without having a setback, but the Cardinals are "planning for" him to suit up in the season finale. There is nothing to really play for with both teams eliminated from playoff contention, but Murray could take home the Offensive Rookie of the Year with a big game to close out the season. If Murray is ruled out or pulled early, Brett Hundley would head under center with Drew Anderson as his backup.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 29, 2019, 12:05 PM ET

His season is now over.  I'm just going to say I see a franchise level QB there.  Remember he did what he did as a rookie, with limited team skills around him.  if they add any talent to the team he is probably going to be considered a top 10 QB in next years drafts.  

And as a citizen of Phoenix - GO CARDS.

Hopefully he will be more consistent next year.  Heck, I've actually got delusions the Cards could win a few more games in real life.  LOL

He likely will be, but this is by Profootbaltalk.
You are correct. 

Premature.

Patton : [Bradley frowns as Patton pins on his new stars]  What's the matter, Brad? I've been nominated by the president.

General Omar N. Bradley : I know... but it doesn't become official until it's been approved by the Senate.

Patton : Well, they have their schedule and I have mine.

Kyler Murray's rookie year was a successful one: 

He set no records -- his 285.3 fantasy points were fourth most among rookie quarterbacks in history, behind Cam Newton's 370.3 in 2011, Robert Griffin III's 317.5 in 2012 and Dak Prescott's 286.9 in 2016 -- and failed to score even 17 points in any of his final five games, but Murray's performance still earned him the No. 8 spot among quarterbacks for the season. In the process, he was intercepted only 12 times, also rushing for 544 yards, second most among quarterbacks. He should be primed to take another step forward in 2020, with a near-certainty of a top-10 ranking entering the season.

Most Fantasy Points By A Rookie QB, Single Season

PLAYER, YEAR FPTS

Cam Newton, 2011 - 370.3

Robert Griffin III, 2012 - 317.5

Dak Prescott, 2016 - 286.9

Kyler Murray, 2019 - 285.3

Andrew Luck, 2012 - 276.5

Russell Wilson, 2012 - 275.6

Jameis Winston, 2015 - 275.0

Baker Mayfield, 2018 - 240.1

Gardner Minshew II, 2019 - 229.2

Jim Kelly, 1986 - 217.6

Bracie Smathers said:
Kyler Murray's rookie year was a successful one: 

He set no records -- his 285.3 fantasy points were fourth most among rookie quarterbacks in history, behind Cam Newton's 370.3 in 2011, Robert Griffin III's 317.5 in 2012 and Dak Prescott's 286.9 in 2016 -- and failed to score even 17 points in any of his final five games, but Murray's performance still earned him the No. 8 spot among quarterbacks for the season. In the process, he was intercepted only 12 times, also rushing for 544 yards, second most among quarterbacks. He should be primed to take another step forward in 2020, with a near-certainty of a top-10 ranking entering the season.

Most Fantasy Points By A Rookie QB, Single Season

PLAYER, YEAR FPTS

Cam Newton, 2011 - 370.3

Robert Griffin III, 2012 - 317.5

Dak Prescott, 2016 - 286.9

Kyler Murray, 2019 - 285.3

Andrew Luck, 2012 - 276.5

Russell Wilson, 2012 - 275.6

Jameis Winston, 2015 - 275.0

Baker Mayfield, 2018 - 240.1

Gardner Minshew II, 2019 - 229.2

Jim Kelly, 1986 - 217.6
Crazy how running turns mediocre NFL QBs into FF studs.

Speaking Thursday, Kyler Murray did not shoot down the idea of one day resuming his baseball career.

Arizona Republic columnist Bob McManaman asked Murray if he would ever consider playing football and baseball in the same calendar year. "Athletically, I think yeah, I could do it," Murray said. "I’ve been playing both my whole life. I would love to add that to the résumé." Murray continued with expanded thoughts. "I don’t understand why in sports they try to marginalize it. They try to make you pick one and I get it, but we’ll see. I think it would be fun. Right now, though, I’m just focused on football." It's an eyebrow raising response from the former top-10 pick of the Oakland A's but there is zero indication this is something Murray is considering in the near future. The Cardinals are not allowed to expressly prohibit Murray from playing baseball, though doing so would void all future guarantees in his contract.

SOURCE: Bob McManaman on Twitter

Jan 16, 2020, 9:49 PM ET

2019 rookies most likely to make a big jump in 2020

QB KYLER MURRAY, ARIZONA CARDINALS

...parts are there for Murray to be an elite quarterback in this league, though. He showed us in his Heisman-winning season at Oklahoma just how dominant he can be. He has the velocity on his passes, the touch (seen on the near touchdown to Larry Fitzgerald above) and the type of speed and elusiveness in the open field that only Lamar Jackson can top at the quarterback position. If he can improve on his pocket presence — after being responsible for a league-high 23 sacks in 2019 — and start to piece together all those positive traits, Murray could take a leap in his second season similar to what we saw from Deshaun Watson or the aforementioned Jackson.

I wouldn't go higher than QB5 for value.

He was already QB5 at worst before this. Usually people who say this are still holding onto a very high evaluation of someone like Wentz or Rodgers...who else is there besides Mahomes, Lamar, Watson, Russ...Murray was the natural #5 at worst even before adding Hopkins and anything else they do this offseason to help him. 

I'm kind of confused regarding their projections for 2020..

They feel that, in year 2, Kyler's passing yards are going to actually decrease, his passing touchdown total will decrease and his interceptions will go up..

Yet, he and his HC will have another year in the NFL, running the same offense, and they just added DeAndre Hopkins to the offense.

The article isn't exactly insightful into these projections either.. they only indicate Hopkins won't hit his 2019 numbers and they don't expect Drake to be a world breaker.

They feel that, in year 2, Kyler's passing yards are going to actually decrease, his passing touchdown total will decrease and his interceptions will go up..

Yet, he and his HC will have another year in the NFL, running the same offense, and they just added DeAndre Hopkins to the offense.

The article isn't exactly insightful into these projections either.. they only indicate Hopkins won't hit his 2019 numbers and they don't expect Drake to be a world breaker.
The Data shows that WRs even Elite WRs suffer year 1 under a new QB/team only to have some type of bounce back year 2 (see OBJ). And that data didn't come from PPF. I'm expecting that bounce back for OBJ unless Mayfield is not who we thought he was.

Tex

It's not like this doesn't happen all the time.  And it's not like we don't have a great example of this happening just this past year (Baker/OBJ).

Logic would dictate that everyone will improve with more experience.  But it would be boring if everything went the way logic dictated, and we'd all be rich from sports gambling.  There is tons of volatility in this game.  Lots of guys regress from year 1 to year 2.  Many have the best season of their entire career as a rookie even though logically it makes little sense that would ever be the case.

One of many reasons I don't read fantasy related articles.

How do "new" systems in the NFL fair year 2?

Does the league catch up to Kingsbury/Murray?

Seems possible.

How do "new" systems in the NFL fair year 2?

Does the league catch up to Kingsbury/Murray?

Seems possible.
Seemed that there's nothing to "catch up" to. The offense they were running was nowhere near as revolutionary or visionary as a lot of people were predicting. In fact, it was surprisingly vanilla and inept. I don't have much faith in Kingsbury, but I'm hoping they at least execute it better in year 2. 

Seemed that there's nothing to "catch up" to. The offense they were running was nowhere near as revolutionary or visionary as a lot of people were predicting. In fact, it was surprisingly vanilla and inept. I don't have much faith in Kingsbury, but I'm hoping they at least execute it better in year 2. 
I think the offense was vanilla and I actuallly viewed it was a  major positive for Kingsbury. He wanted to run a bunch of 4 WR sets but was able to adjust when he realized he lacked enough talent at WR and OL talent to be able to protect Kyler in multiple WR sets.  Just think it showed growth on his part to not stubbornly try and run his offense but adjust.  I think they are doing everything in their power to address both of those issues this off season, WR and OL,  so he can run the offense he wants to run. I expect they address OT in round one. Unless Isabella is the answer, I still think they need a WR who can take the top off because I don't think Kirk is that guy but similar to how Baltimore spent last off season tinkering with their team to build it around Lamar I think Kingsbury/AZ is spending this offseason building the team to fit his offense and vision he has for Kyler. Now to be fair drafting the 3 WR's last year was an attempt at this and maybe a failed attempt but we know they improved WR already this  offseason.

Not a shocking take since he's basically the consensus #3 QB in every draft I see now, but I think it's justified and he's going to explode.

I'm thinking he's way up there in redraft, like QB5, but I wouldn't pay a QB5 price for him, if that makes sense. I'd wait positionally after Jackson and Mahomes with Watson and Russ being Tier II and Murray starting off the best of Tier III. But waiting on him just makes sense in redraft.

Dynasty-wise, he's gotta join the others in Tier II or maybe Russ falls out due to age. I don't see any of the rookies this year near Murray's fantasy potential. 

He's exploded in the rankings.  ESPN has him at QB3, Fantasypros at QB4.  

I really like him.  I wouldn't bet money on him finishing as QB1, but his upside is that high.  His 2nd year in the league--he'll have a better feel for the game and the speed of the league.  He's going to better understand the offense.  He'll have a whole season with Drake busting big plays.  They added Hopkins who is one of the best WR in the league.  

The step forward is obvious.  I get it.  

With guys like Mahommes and Jackson they hadn't shown it the year before.  They were huge value picks in the mid-late rounds.  I don't see Murray being a value.  If the world really views him as QB3, then I'm having to draft him way too high to justify it.  I'll gladly take Dak or Wilson later.  

I'm concerned with how Arizona is running their team. Think they made a huge mistake passing on OL in the first round. I understand their defense is a wreck but their OL is too and Kyler Murray is a top 5 asset in the NFL. If Josh Jones works out (big if) then they'll be fine but if he doesn't and they get Kyler hurt they'll regret it. 

I'm not sure about the Hopkins trade either. Why would Houston dump him like that unless he's a huge pain in the ###. 

I'd still draft Murray in front of Lamar Jackson in a Dynasty start up. He will be putting up top 5 QB numbers long after Lamar Jackson stops running. 

He's basically a more athletic Russell Wilson. 

Milkman said:
I'm concerned with how Arizona is running their team. Think they made a huge mistake passing on OL in the first round. I understand their defense is a wreck but their OL is too and Kyler Murray is a top 5 asset in the NFL. If Josh Jones works out (big if) then they'll be fine but if he doesn't and they get Kyler hurt they'll regret it. 

I'm not sure about the Hopkins trade either. Why would Houston dump him like that unless he's a huge pain in the ###. 

I'd still draft Murray in front of Lamar Jackson in a Dynasty start up. He will be putting up top 5 QB numbers long after Lamar Jackson stops running. 

You’re the only man in America who thinks Arizona got the short end of the stick in the Hopkins trade. 

Milkman said:

I am still in shock that they passed on O-Line for Simmons.  Stunned.  They got what 'appears' to be a steal in Josh Jones in the 3rd but he's far from a sure thing.  Considering how often Kyler was on-the-run from the snap and how rare it is to be in position to land a 'franchise' OT ...  I still can't believe they went for the S/LBer who they are going to limit to OLB.  

Hopkins is 'probably' the best WR in the league.  He won't see the volume of throws that were funneled to to him in Houston but he is an excellent addition however that O-Line is still a huge issue IMHO.

I am still in shock that they passed on O-Line for Simmons.  Stunned.  They got what 'appears' to be a steal in Josh Jones in the 3rd but he's far from a sure thing.  Considering how often Kyler was on-the-run from the snap and how rare it is to be in position to land a 'franchise' OT ...  I still can't believe they went for the S/LBer who they are going to limit to OLB.  

Hopkins is 'probably' the best WR in the league.  He won't see the volume of throws that were funneled to to him in Houston but he is an excellent addition however that O-Line is still a huge issue IMHO.
I hear what you guys are saying but Simmons is freaking sick and you guys stole him at 8. 

They extended Humphries to the tune of 3/$45m before the draft. There was zero chance they were taking a left tackle.

They extended Humphries to the tune of 3/$45m before the draft. There was zero chance they were taking a left tackle.
Most analysts had them taking a LT at that pick.  There was a much higher chance than 'zero' that they were taking a LT there.

If Simmons was gone, who do you think they would have taken there instead? 

Most analysts had them taking a LT at that pick.  There was a much higher chance than 'zero' that they were taking a LT there.

If Simmons was gone, who do you think they would have taken there instead? 
Not to get too far off the rails of the Kyler Murray thread so the fact Kyler Murray got sacked a league leading 48 times (tied with Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson) he was under pressure.  A lot of the sacks were on the rookie but they took an OT with their next pick so they felt they had a need.

On who they would take?  Kyler is a lefty so his blind-side is RT.

The Browns made the fastest pick in the top-ten when they snatched ORT Jedrick Wills off the board in 61 seconds.  Reports after the draft and their actions spoke volumes, they did not think he would be available.  Obvious to me they felt Arizona would have taken him off the board.

ORT Jedrick Wills would have been a hand-glove fit in Arizona to protect Kyler Murray's blind-side.

Not to get too far off the rails of the Kyler Murray thread so the fact Kyler Murray got sacked a league leading 48 times (tied with Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson) he was under pressure.  A lot of the sacks were on the rookie but they took an OT with their next pick so they felt they had a need.

On who they would take?  Kyler is a lefty so his blind-side is RT.

The Browns made the fastest pick in the top-ten when they snatched ORT Jedrick Wills off the board in 61 seconds.  Reports after the draft and their actions spoke volumes, they did not think he would be available.  Obvious to me they felt Arizona would have taken him off the board.

ORT Jedrick Wills would have been a hand-glove fit in Arizona to protect Kyler Murray's blind-side.
I think you're confusing Kyler with Tua. Kyler is right handed.

If Simmons wasn't the pick there are several other options. Assuming he went before their pick then possibly Okudah or Brown wild be available. Rumors were they were hot over Brown. CJ Henderson would fit. So would Kinlaw. Their defense was terrible and almost anyone would help.

I'll admit, there wasn't a ZERO chance of them taking a tackle. But it was really low considering the Humphries signing and defensive needs. Taking a right tackle that high wouldn't and didn't make sense - no matter what the pundits were opining.

If Simmons wasn't the pick there are several other options. Assuming he went before their pick then possibly Okudah or Brown wild be available. Rumors were they were hot over Brown. CJ Henderson would fit. So would Kinlaw. Their defense was terrible and almost anyone would help.

I'll admit, there wasn't a ZERO chance of them taking a tackle. But it was really low considering the Humphries signing and defensive needs. Taking a right tackle that high wouldn't and didn't make sense - no matter what the pundits were opining.
You are right, I was confusing Tau with Kyler.  The Browns needed an OLT and didn't hesitate to take Jed.  He 'figured' he would be asked to make the move to the left side and had been consulting with former Browns OLT Joe Thomas leading up to the draft on pointers and new Browns O-Line coach and coaching legend Bill Calahan says he's going to start on the left-side and he thinks he will be a great fit.

And thank you for admitting their wasn't a zero-percent chance of them taking an OT.  I truly do believe they were going to take Jed and am still shocked they took Simmons who I really like.  Arizona has been effectively using safeties up-in-the-box for years since former Cardinal DC Todd Bowles had to when faced with multiple injuries at LB.  I thought they would use Simmons that way but they announced the plan was to settle him in to one position his rookie year, OLB.  Maybe they plan to use him more as an EDGE because if not then the pick is even more puzzling to me.

And thank you for admitting their wasn't a zero-percent chance of them taking an OT.  I truly do believe they were going to take Jed and am still shocked they took Simmons who I really like.  Arizona has been effectively using safeties up-in-the-box for years since former Cardinal DC Todd Bowles had to when faced with multiple injuries at LB.  I thought they would use Simmons that way but they announced the plan was to settle him in to one position his rookie year, OLB.  Maybe they plan to use him more as an EDGE because if not then the pick is even more puzzling to me.
In a division with George Kittle (and a couple other good TEs), this is primarily what Simmons is for...

"The Cardinals allowed a league-high 1,173 receiving yards, 8.9 yards per target and 16 touchdowns to opposing tight ends last season. According to Elias research, only the 2013 Cardinals allowed more touchdowns from tight ends in a single season (17) in NFL history."

Taking a OT that starts out on the right side and moves to LT in a few years sounds like a great move by a franchise looking at protecting their most valuable asset longterm. 

Hopefully they don't pay the ultimate price......

Users who are viewing this thread