What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL AFC CHAMPIONSHIP : KC Chiefs vs NE Patriots *** (1 Viewer)

Benefiting from Patriot's scheme. On any other team, he's a ham & egger. See Welker pre Patriots.
So Edlemans stats don't count ... because "system"?

Could say the same thing about Brady I guess. Wonder if they'll keep him out of the HOF too.

So many plays / calls that could have changed the outcome of this game.

- Brady throws int in the end zone on 3rd and goal from the 1 ... takes at least 3 points off the board for NE. Maybe 7 if they run it there.

- Mahomes takes a 14 yd sack on 3rd down to push them out of FG range. Potential 3 points lost there

- NE goes for it on 4th and 1 instead of taking the easy FG. Stuffed. another 3 points off the board for NE

- Big 3rd down conversion late in the game ... Hogans one handed catch that was reviewed ... could argue he lost control when he rolled onto the ball and it hit the ground. 

- Edelmans muffed punt ... that wasn't a muffed punt? Enough evidence to prove that he did not touch it?

-  Bradys game ending int ... that was negated by Ford lining up in the neutral zone ... why on this play Ford? Yikes.

- NE down by 4 points, forced to go for it on 4th and inches, KC with a chance to end the game on defense. Michel takes it in for a TD 

- NE wins Coin toss. They get to call it because they are the away team? So much for home field advantage.
game of inches...

Some stats that stand out to me:

Total Yards ... NE 524 / KC 290

Rushing Yards ... NE 176 / KC 41

Time of Possession ... NE 43:59 / KC 20:53

3rd down efficiency .. NE 13 of 19 / KC 4 of 9

Stat wise, this game was dominated by NE ... but must have been the 2 turnovers that made it close.

You're right.  Pick plays are hard to stop.

You're on quite a rant about this: please point out which of these was an illegal "pick play";

https://gfycat.com/SereneMeekCoelacanth

https://gfycat.com/LegalPersonalDevilfish

https://gfycat.com/CleverDopeyBasil

Btw, if you want an example of a blatant pick play, here ya go;

https://youtu.be/nKLkj0FzoEo?t=785
:yes:

Haters gonna make stuff up ... why their team lost ... or the team they hate won.

The winning team must have cheated ... lol.

You're right.  Pick plays are hard to stop.

You're on quite a rant about this: please point out which of these was an illegal "pick play";

https://gfycat.com/SereneMeekCoelacanth

https://gfycat.com/LegalPersonalDevilfish

https://gfycat.com/CleverDopeyBasil

Btw, if you want an example of a blatant pick play, here ya go;

https://youtu.be/nKLkj0FzoEo?t=785
:yes:

Haters gonna make stuff up ... why their team lost ... or the team they hate won.

The winning team must have cheated ... lol.

You are both correct.  The Patriots never cheat.

He is although if not for that neutral zone penalty he would have thrown three picks in a losing effort.     As great as he is there is a fine line between winning and losing in this business.
It's interesting how frequently the Pats fall on the right side of that fine line.

You don't do what the Pats have done because of anything other than a superior Coach/QB and knowing how to get the best out of everyone involved

This..they cheat...is so lame/weak.  Way too many seasons of great football for that silliness.

The best part about this sequence of 3rd downs is after going to the Edelman well twice Brady was just waiting for them to go robber on the slant to Edelman and instead throws it up the seam to Gronk, right where the safety was standing at the snap.  
The slant to Gronk is an interesting story. Apparently, the morning of the game, BB inserted 8 plays into the game plan. That slant to Gronk was one of them. They hadn't practiced it all week and it was something they hadn't run in a long, long time given that Gronk has mostly played on the line and as a run blocker this year. I am guessing they hadn't run that play this season.

When Brady actually called that play, there were players that didn't even know what it was as they had never run it with them on the team. It wasn't on the game plan or the play sheet. Brady said after the game that once they went to Gronk earlier on the deep sideline back shoulder play that the slant would work. He called that play as he knew the Chiefs were expecting the other play again. 

I don't know how common it is to add plays the morning of a big game, and I am equally unsure how many teams would run a play that guys on the field didn't even know what the play was in OT in the AFCCG. But I thought that was pretty cool. 

The other thing I thought was interesting was that TB allegedly showed up this week for the first practice to prepare for the Chiefs and announced to the team that he was the biggest MF bada$$ ever and it was time to get to work. Players rallied around him all week and said Brady got them to buy in that they were going to win. He definitely has multiple personas that come out at different times.

Jason McCourty, he of the 0 SB appearances, said as soon as they won the OT coin toss he knew his night was done. Brady can get an entire team to believe just on his say so. Amazing.

Everyone knows Brady benefits from being in a crappy division. 

Still the best QB to play the game tho. 
Over time, you'd think MIA, BUF and NYJ would have made adjustments and evolved into more competitive teams.  However, its no coincidence that they have been perennial losers since NE is in their division.  You can try to make the argument that NE gets into the playoffs easily each year because of their division.  However, a span of dominating the division for more than 18 years is just insane. 

4th quarter comeback wins in playoffs:

Tom Brady: 9

Joe Montana & John Elway COMBINED: 9
I wonder if Montana was at the game.  Wherever he was...I'm sure he hates the fact that Brady has created such a separation from him as greatest QB to every play the game.

Has his hand on it before the ball is snapped and threw it the instant that ball was snapped.  

https://gfycat.com/RealisticCornyCuckoo
Nice work, ifriend.  I suppose the sarcasm was lost on some.  The climate in the room last night was that all the calls always go the way of the Pats. The comment was merely meant to feed the mood.  I have no doubt the guy was off sides and in front of the line judge.  Was tongue in cheek.  

The other thing I thought was interesting was that TB allegedly showed up this week for the first practice to prepare for the Chiefs and announced to the team that he was the biggest MF bada$$ ever and it was time to get to work. Players rallied around him all week and said Brady got them to buy in that they were going to win. He definitely has multiple personas that come out at different times.

Jason McCourty, he of the 0 SB appearances, said as soon as they won the OT coin toss he knew his night was done. Brady can get an entire team to believe just on his say so. Amazing.
Peripheral stuff like this is the kind of crap that will cement his legendary status. So cool. 

Same #### as in 2009 season.  Overtime has to be tweaked again.  Just play a full 10 minute quarter and give each team a chance.  The NFL MVP didn't get to touch the ball in OT of  the AFC championship game.  Stupid.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but College Overtime > NFL Overtime.

Just make another 15 minute quarter. Whoever is leading at the end of it wins. As many scores as possible can occur. Just for the playoffs though. Regular season is fine with this format. 

You can devise much fairer systems.  Just make OT a full period.  Or keep the current sudden-death setup but each team at least gets one possession.
The mantra against non-sudden-death overtime has always been “player safety.”  From the league that makes teams play Thursday Night football.

It will be interesting to see if this week’s action changes that.

I wonder if Montana was at the game.  Wherever he was...I'm sure he hates the fact that Brady has created such a separation from him as greatest QB to every play the game.
More likely he's thinking if Brady played in the 80s' he wouldn't have made it through 15 years. You seriously cannot compare today's rules of protecting the QB with guys who played before they started protecting the QB.

So many plays / calls that could have changed the outcome of this game.

- Brady throws int in the end zone on 3rd and goal from the 1 ... takes at least 3 points off the board for NE. Maybe 7 if they run it there.

- Mahomes takes a 14 yd sack on 3rd down to push them out of FG range. Potential 3 points lost there

- NE goes for it on 4th and 1 instead of taking the easy FG. Stuffed. another 3 points off the board for NE

- Big 3rd down conversion late in the game ... Hogans one handed catch that was reviewed ... could argue he lost control when he rolled onto the ball and it hit the ground. 

- Edelmans muffed punt ... that wasn't a muffed punt? Enough evidence to prove that he did not touch it?

-  Bradys game ending int ... that was negated by Ford lining up in the neutral zone ... why on this play Ford? Yikes.

- NE down by 4 points, forced to go for it on 4th and inches, KC with a chance to end the game on defense. Michel takes it in for a TD 

- NE wins Coin toss. They get to call it because they are the away team? So much for home field advantage.
you know it's not an advantage to call a coin toss, right?

More likely he's thinking if Brady played in the 80s' he wouldn't have made it through 15 years. You seriously cannot compare today's rules of protecting the QB with guys who played before they started protecting the QB.
Exactly.  Quarterbacks got the crap knocked out of them back then.  Fast forward to yesterday's game was a roughing the passer penalty was called when a Chief hit Tom Brady in the shoulder. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost Rider said:
Exactly.  Quarterbacks got the crap knocked out of them back then.  Fast forward to yesterday's game was a roughing the passer penalty was called when a Chief hit Tom Brady in the shoulder. 
He hit the facemask, which is why it got the flag. 

Pretty classy of the KC fan who was shining a laser pointer in Tom Brady’s eyes during the game. That person should be banned from arrowhead going forward. 

Pretty classy of the KC fan who was shining a laser pointer in Tom Brady’s eyes during the game. That person should be banned from arrowhead going forward. 
It clearly had an effect. :lol:  

Without the laser in the eye, the Patriots probably score 45 in regulation instead of 31. 

Maybe he misunderstood Brady's call for "Laser focus!"?

I wonder if KC won the coin toss, got the ball and scored a TD... would anyone be complaining about Brady not "getting a chance"?

... or would people be saying "NE had a chance ... a chance to stop KC from scoring a TD".

I think the real issue isn't with the overtime rules ... it's that the wrong team won for most people.

If it's any consolation to Patriot haters ... the roughing the passer call on Brady was offset by the non-call of Hitchens intentionally trying to take Edelmans head off...

Trying to decapitate Edelman

This should have been at least a personal foul ....and probably a fine and a suspension.

Even if he was trying to make a block, there was no need to violently target the guys head. 

If this happened to Mahomes, could you imagine the uproar? How dirty the Patriots were?

Yet not one mention of it by the media when it's against NE.

I wonder if KC won the coin toss, got the ball and scored a TD... would anyone be complaining about Brady not "getting a chance"?

... or would people be saying "NE had a chance ... a chance to stop KC from scoring a TD".

I think the real issue isn't with the overtime rules ... it's that the wrong team won for most people.
Exactly. You can’t discuss rationally with people who are acting emotionally. Read a great article about this and the Brady hate... realized it’s pointless to engage them.

Enjoy the wins, enjoy watching the best to ever play the game, and let them do them. Everyone wins. :D  

True.  After initially striking Brady on the shoulder the force did cause his arm to bounce up and the wrist certainly grazed Brady's facemask.  Definitely have to call that.   :lol:  
When they first threw the flag for roughing the passer, I thought it was for PI. Gronk was being used as a jungle gym on that play.

If it's any consolation to Patriot haters ... the roughing the passer call on Brady was offset by the non-call of Hitchens intentionally trying to take Edelmans head off...

Trying to decapitate Edelman

This should have been at least a personal foul ....and probably a fine and a suspension.

Even if he was trying to make a block, there was no need to violently target the guys head. 

If this happened to Mahomes, could you imagine the uproar? How dirty the Patriots were?

Yet not one mention of it by the media when it's against NE.
Edelman looked like he had lost his footing and was already falling on his back. It wasn't that hard of a hit either. Refs missed a ton of calls for both teams in both games. Can't point to any one call in either game and say it affected the outcome imo.

I'm a Pats hater but you can't complain about the OT rules after the fact - and KC did (and failed) have the chance to make the stop. The rule is not perfect but it is what it is.

LOL

Yeah, Brady hasn't clearly surpassed Montana as best ever because of the rules.  

I think most would probably be happy of the outcome but realize that the way they do it is pretty flawed and needs to be changed. 

Kind of like I acknowledge that was a crappy non call in the NO/STL game and things like that need to be changed.....but I'm happy with the outcome.  

Nice of Reid to fire his DC. What a joke. Good job Andy putting your D on it’s heels by deferring the kickoff and letting Belichick, Brady and Michel bludgeon you for nine minutes to start the game. Ried is a fool for not putting the ball in his best player’s hands right away. KC is built to play with a lead and Reid blew that from the word go. Also, brilliant to not call a timer when they were betting shredded in OT. The guy will never learn. I was pulling for him but once again, this postseason loss is on him and yet Sutton gets canned. Sad...

Users who are viewing this thread