What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2020 NFL Draft Class (6 Viewers)

I believe the best move for the Colts is to sign Amari Cooper and draft the best defensive player available at #13, unless they have a shot at Tua.  He would definitely cost #13 and #34 and perhaps a 1st or 2nd in 2021.  Too expensive for a guy with his risk.  Ballard usually isn't a big player in free agency, but I'm sure even he knows how glaring their need at WR was in 2019.
Wasn't it more due to injury?  Hilton is still solid when healthy and we never really saw what Campbell can do.  Pascal was a decent surprise and looks to be a borderline WR2/3.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that Dayton TE Adam Trautman was "physical with the football during (the first day of Senior Bowl) practice, relying on his frame and toughness to finish catches."

"Trautman isn’t overly sudden, but he is very smooth at the top of his routes, holding defenders just enough to give the quarterback a workable passing window," Brugler writes of the 6-foot-5, 251-pound Dayton product. Off to a nice start for the Senior Bowl practice week. If he can keep up this mojo into the spring, Trautman should have a shot to come off the board on Day 2 of the draft.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 22, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

Faust said:

Rotoworld take:

Reese's Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy called Tennessee WR Jauan Jennings a "truly unique" prospect.

Nagy is particularly enamored with Jennings' playing mindset and competitive toughness, as well as his special teams prowess. The 6-foot-3, 208-pound wideout posted a 57-942-9 receiving line during the 2019 campaign. His physical, demanding brand of football, coupled with his size, should make Jennings an appealing option for the middle rounds come April.

SOURCE: Chase Goodbread on Twitter

Jan 22, 2020, 10:39 AM ET

Senior Bowl Daily Notebook: Jalen Hurts Isn't Here to Switch Positions (January 21)

Excerpts:

Jalen Hurts Will Stay at QB

The Senior Bowl often serves as a chance for players who don't quite fit NFL norms at a position to try their luck by making a switch. Athletic quarterbacks are always at the forefront of the conversation.

Fifteen years ago, Matt Jones learned to play wide receiver on the fly before becoming a first-round pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tim Tebow declined to play any other position.

Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts may be wearing two different helmets melded into one this week, but he has a singular vision for his future.

"I've always been a team-first guy, but I'm a quarterback," Hurts said, per The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema.

Yes, Hurts is an athletic quarterback, but there's absolutely no reason to consider a position switch after the season he had at Oklahoma. The Heisman finalist finished third overall behind some guys named Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa with a 191.2 quarterback rating, completing 69.7 percent of his passes with a 32-to-8 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He also added 1,298 yards and 20 touchdowns on the ground.

"Jalen's come a long, long way. He really has," Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy said, per the Associated Press. "People asked me about Jalen when I took the job and I said maybe if he comes to the Senior Bowl in a couple of years it might be as another position player. He's blown that out. He's come so far."

Justin Herbert and Jordan Love are the top two quarterbacks among this year's festivities, but Hurts has a chance to solidify his status as a Day 2 prospect (second or third round) instead of a Day 3 option.

"He's been successful everywhere he's been," Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said. "He really is a little bit like an NFL quarterback in the sense that he had to go quickly and pick up an offense and really prove himself as a leader in a new program in a short period of time, which he did. ... Those are things that we get a chance now to see in person. Get to know the kid a little bit more. ... He certainly had a great college career. He's put himself in a good position."

Wide Receivers Stealing the Show

As impressive as Kinlaw and Gallimore were during their initial performances, Ohio State wide receiver K.J. Hill can claim the crown as the most impressive player on the field.

That may come as a surprise since Hill isn't generally considered a top prospect among a deep and talented wide receiver class.

Refinement is the difference in this case.

Hill is a polished route-runner and turned multiple defensive backs inside-out during one-on-one drills. His footwork, hips and selling of routes are all outstanding, and it showed.

Ohio State wasn't a pass-first offense with J.K. Dobbins and Justin Fields in the backfield, so Hill's overall stats won't blow anyone away. He produced 57 receptions for 636 yards during his final year on campus. However, he finished with 10 touchdown snags because he knows how to get open in small spaces.

The game features an impressive set of wide receivers overall.

Like Hill, Florida's Van Jefferson is an advanced route-runner. Against a suspect defensive back class, he easily created separation.

Jefferson's father, Shawn, was a 13-year NFL veteran and now coaches wide receivers for the New York Jets. It should come as no surprise the younger Jefferson was prepared for the moment and played well while others were just trying to get their bearings.

SMU's James Proche created buzz among scouts, too, according to Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline.

The Saints met with Michigan QB Shea Patterson and Texas WR Collin Johnson at the Senior Bowl.

This according to Walter Football’s Charlie Campbell, who added that the Saints met with NC State DT Larrell Murchison, Texas A&M WR Quartney Davis, Wisconsin LB Zach Baun and Ole Miss DT Josiah Coatney. Patterson is a high-variance prospect who some franchise will dream on late at a flier price.

SOURCE: USA Today

Jan 22, 2020, 6:30 PM ET

Gavino Borquez @GavinoBorquez

#SeniorBowl North practice winners: Day 2:

Josh Uche, EDGE, Michigan
Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
Troy Pride, CB, Notre Dame
Larrell Murchison, DT, NC State
Kenny Willekes, EDGE, Michigan State
Jason Strowbridge, DL, North Carolina
Jordan Love, QB, Utah State
Bradlee Anae, EDGE, Utah

Jalen Hurts has the highest MPH on a throw today at 47 mph. Any narrative about him not being an NFL caliber talent is complete bull ####. Just my own opinion here but I don’t understand why anyone would want the lame duck Georgia QB’s over him but Eason and Fromm will probably do just that. It’s too easy to compare him to Russell Wilson... I see him more as a suped up Tyrod Taylor w/ more ideal size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gandy-Golden hit 20 mph today. Mims hit 19.5 mph.

ETA:

Mychal Hasty and Chase Claypool hit 19.9mph.

Antonio Gibson hit 20.2 MPH

Devin Duvernay hit 19.9 MPH

Jalen Hurts has the highest MPH on a throw today at 47 mph. Any narrative about him not being an NFL caliber talent is complete bull ####. Just my own opinion here but I don’t understand why anyone would want the lame duck Georgia QB’s over him but Eason and Fromm will probably do just that. It’s too easy to compare him to Russell Wilson... I see him more as a suped up Tyrod Taylor w/ more ideal size.
47 mph isn't super high, but generally I agree with you on this.  Hurts is better than he's given credit for.  The fact that he is an amazing teammate and leader should go further than it does as well. 

47 mph isn't super high, but generally I agree with you on this.  Hurts is better than he's given credit for.  The fact that he is an amazing teammate and leader should go further than it does as well. 
There's something screwy going on here. A couple years ago they posted this chart which showed that Baker Mayfield & Josh Allen threw more than half their passes at 50+ mph during Senior Bowl practices. And now 47 mph is the fastest throw of the day?

There's something screwy going on here. A couple years ago they posted this chart which showed that Baker Mayfield & Josh Allen threw more than half their passes at 50+ mph during Senior Bowl practices. And now 47 mph is the fastest throw of the day?
It could be that Baker and Allen just have cannon arms.  Both measured out very very well at the combine ball velocity.  If I remember right they might be some of the highest ball velocity numbers yet to be recorded. 

It could be that Baker and Allen just have cannon arms.  Both measured out very very well at the combine ball velocity.  If I remember right they might be some of the highest ball velocity numbers yet to be recorded. 
Even Luke Falk threw 19% of his passes at 50+ mph.

Looks like I screwed up. The actual wording is “average initial speed of 47 mph”. I couldn’t speak for what that means. Release time? In any case he did lead the QB’s in that area. Not as helpful as what I originally thought.

Looks like I screwed up. The actual wording is “average initial speed of 47 mph”. I couldn’t speak for what that means. Release time? In any case he did lead the QB’s in that area. Not as helpful as what I originally thought.
Sounds like it could be the same scale as the chart I linked, but they're just averaging together all of his throws rather than counting how many fell into different mph ranges.

Sounds like it could be the same scale as the chart I linked, but they're just averaging together all of his throws rather than counting how many fell into different mph ranges.
Could be... I think that would be good then to lead the QB’s on velocity average. Hopefully that’s the case.

Based on the polls @Biabreakable is doing it looks like Swift has pulled away as the 1.1 in most formats. I have him there too, though I have Dobbins right on his heels (I play in ppr so that’s where I’m evaluating). They’re close enough for me that landing spot is going to be a major factor. 

ESPN listed Florida WR Van Jefferson as a "riser" from Wednesday's Senior Bowl practices.

The son of former NFL receiver and current NFL WR coach Shawn Jefferson, Van comes to the pros via Ole Miss and Florida. "Jefferson doesn't have elite speed or quickness, and his 6-foot-1 frame doesn't stand out. But his route running is extremely impressive," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay. McShay noted that Jefferson is a receiving bookwarm type who sought out Torry Holt after practice for pointers. "Scouts notice that type of stuff," McShay wrote. Jefferson is garnering mid-round grades.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jan 23, 2020, 11:11 AM ET

Michigan State EDGE Kenny Willekes has drawn good reviews at the Senior Bowl while transitioning to strong-side linebacker.

A force of a 4-3 DE in the Big 10 the past three years, Willekes (6'4/254) is being tested as a 3-4 OLB this week. "He’s doing good with the transition," said Detroit Lions DL coach Bo Davis, Willekes' North team coach. "It takes a little bit to get used to, but he’s doing a good job." Willekes finished with between 8.5-10.5 sacks in each of the past three seasons. But he has short arms -- the shortest (31 1/4 inches) of all DL in Mobile -- and stiffness that prevents him from bending the edge with origami precision that sensei NFL scouts demand. Because of this, his pre-draft process is very important. He needs to show well in this event and during athletic testing in the spring.

SOURCE: Detroit Free Press

Jan 23, 2020, 12:24 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread