What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst owner in sports right now? (1 Viewer)

I can't remember why he started calling in or if they scheduled an interview with him first, but he really took to the two local guys and then would just call in at random times.  For a while, he was making picks in football that he called "Bert's Lovable Losers".  It was great.  He was a national treasure.
I met him at the MLB ASG in Baltimore in '93 (or whenever the hell it was). My brother & I were sitting in a hotel bar the day before the game. Sugar came in and sat a couple of stools down from us. We knew who he was right away, as he's got a very distinctive look. He nodded at us and I said "How's it going, Mr Sugar?".  And we chatted for an hour or two.  Cool guy. By the time Happy Hour started, the bar was filling up. We were getting ready to leave when these three dudes walked in together. One was Jim Palmer. Another was Fergie Jenkins. The last was Tug McGraw, who was wearing a tuxedo and was barefoot. I always thought Palmer was a teatotaller, but it was obvious Jenkins and McGraw weren't making that bar their first stop of the day. They sat next to Sugar and those guys proceeded to hold court. It was a blast listening to them needling each other (Palmer vs Jenkins, especially; McGraw was in lala land; Sugar was the instigator).

There has been a lot of talk of him finally delegating responsibilities (notably the interviews for the head coach search where it is claimed he wasn't even present ), but I feel like any thread about the worst owners in sports has to at least have a mention of Mike Brown (Bengals).  I can only hope the talk of him taking significant steps back from his control are legit.   
He’s a complete boob that hides in his ivory tower and only emerges a couple times a year.  Once for his annual press conference and the other is usually some new attempt to fleece the citizens of Hamilton County. 

With all that being said, I think Dolan is worse.  Dolan even has a crappy rock band. 

I met him at the MLB ASG in Baltimore in '93 (or whenever the hell it was). My brother & I were sitting in a hotel bar the day before the game. Sugar came in and sat a couple of stools down from us. We knew who he was right away, as he's got a very distinctive look. He nodded at us and I said "How's it going, Mr Sugar?".  And we chatted for an hour or two.  Cool guy. By the time Happy Hour started, the bar was filling up. We were getting ready to leave when these three dudes walked in together. One was Jim Palmer. Another was Fergie Jenkins. The last was Tug McGraw, who was wearing a tuxedo and was barefoot. I always thought Palmer was a teatotaller, but it was obvious Jenkins and McGraw weren't making that bar their first stop of the day. They sat next to Sugar and those guys proceeded to hold court. It was a blast listening to them needling each other (Palmer vs Jenkins, especially; McGraw was in lala land; Sugar was the instigator).
Great story, GB!

Funny, Gores was at the Pistons game last night (seemed drunk) and he was throwing shirts into the crowd 

https://twitter.com/ilov90s/status/1091151809035550720?s=21

Ok confirmed he was wasted last night 

https://twitter.com/duncansmithnba/status/1091163677288484864?s=21

Has it been a good investment? They are in salary cap hell, are too good to get a top pick but not good enough to make the playoffs and they have the worst attendance in the NBA 
He was able to buy them at a pretty big discount, so if he sells them off at some point he should make hundreds of millions 

yeah he paid $325M for them now worth $1.1B

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Nutting.  Finally gets a decent team that won 98 games and then totally dismantles it in a year.  The Pirates consistently are in the bottom 10, if not bottom 5 of MLB salaries year in and year out and it is not because they are small market.  It is because Nutting, one of the wealthiest owners in baseball, won't loosen the purse-strings of a team that has made him hundreds of millions of dollars.

I understand he wants to make money but he's done that for 17 years.  The least he could is spend a bit more to give the team a chance or sell it to someone that wants to win.

Funny, Gores was at the Pistons game last night (seemed drunk) and he was throwing shirts into the crowd 

https://twitter.com/ilov90s/status/1091151809035550720?s=21

Ok confirmed he was wasted last night 

https://twitter.com/duncansmithnba/status/1091163677288484864?s=21

Has it been a good investment? They are in salary cap hell, are too good to get a top pick but not good enough to make the playoffs and they have the worst attendance in the NBA 
Actually is not good but a great investment. Gores bought the Pistons for 325 million. Gores has more than tripled his investment.

The Detroit Pistons are now worth $1.1 billion, the first time the NBA franchise has crossed the billion-dollar valuation threshold, according to Forbes.com's annual estimated published Wednesday. Detroit was valued at $900 million a year ago

Actually is not good but a great investment. Gores bought the Pistons for 325 million. Gores has more than tripled his investment.

The Detroit Pistons are now worth $1.1 billion, the first time the NBA franchise has crossed the billion-dollar valuation threshold, according to Forbes.com's annual estimated published Wednesday. Detroit was valued at $900 million a year ago
Have to think the move away from Auburn Hills helped immensely.  I was in shock the first time I drove out that way at how far away it is from Detroit.  

Lifetime achievement award for grand incompetence goes to Bill and Martha Ford. Total D-bag award goes to little Danny.

Have to think the move away from Auburn Hills helped immensely.  I was in shock the first time I drove out that way at how far away it is from Detroit.  
I live 30 miles west of Detroit but it does not seem that far to me. Auburn Hills seems so much farther but that is only 32 miles north of Detroit.  Don`t know why Davidson ever decided to move out there..maybe because the Lions were only a few miles up the road at the time in the Silverdome.

As a Bengals observer (I refuse to call myself a fan again until Mike Brown steps down or the Bengals hire an actual GM)  I nominate Mike Brown.  And I say this because he doesn't just embrace mediocrity, he wears it proudly on his lapel as a badge of honor.  I firmly believe he knows EXACTLY and quite PRECISELY what he's doing.  In fact, my cynical side believes he intentionally aims for the middle.  If you hide in the middle you can avoid the scrutiny of being at the top and the ridicule of being at the bottom.  I think that he learned this lesson amid the anger and protests of the early 90's and I think in his mind he runs the franchise like he runs any other business with the sole purpose being that it just needs to make money. Period.  Wins don't matter, losses don't matter, making money matters.  I think he's an extremely intelligent businessman but that he's completely incompetent as a football GM.  However, I am convinced he's well aware of this and he's totally indifferent to it.  I do not think he possess one ounce of passion for the game and I think he does just enough to fly under the radar, earn a ton of money while growing the franchises' value year by year.   I think THAT makes him the WORST owner in ALL of sports in my mind, that lack of passion for the game that his father so brilliantly possessed.

I believe Kansas City is the only town where neither the football nor the baseball owner resides anywhere near the metro area. 

After countless rebuilds, Glass pulled a blind squirrel with a 2-year run that got us a ring, then promptly dismantled the core. Record losses last year and this year coming. Penny-pincher claims to break even but has himself and family pulling all the salary out in order to do so. And remember, in order to get the team, as a trustee after Kaufman died, he blackballed any interested owner group until he could get the board to finally accept his lowball bid. 

Hunt - they live in Texas except of course the one that got kicked out of that state, Lamar Jr. Yeah - sacrelig to disparage this name but completely an absentee owner in my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread