Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
comfortably numb

Oscars 2019 thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

It’s because it sucked

Well it did not totally suck but it was fair at best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

It’s because it sucked

I wouldn't go as far as "it sucked" but it wasn't a great movie.  A lot of the other "comic book" movies are much better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen Green Book, but from what I've read it has a lot of race problems. Is it another White Savior movie? Does it downplay the violence and fear that Dr. Shirley faced? 

From reading the critiques, it seems like a pretty flawed movie.

And Roma was not. It was really beautiful. And the sounds were amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whoknew said:

I haven't seen Green Book, but from what I've read it has a lot of race problems. Is it another White Savior movie? Does it downplay the violence and fear that Dr. Shirley faced? 

From reading the critiques, it seems like a pretty flawed movie.

And Roma was not. It was really beautiful. And the sounds were amazing.

At the risk of coming across like a cracker, which I am

I saw it last week, and really liked it.  I had not heard ANY of the controversy, which means I guess I need to be following more twitchy Hollywood insiders on the twits

Frankly I'd never even heard of the film til my girlfriend said hey if you can find this let's watch it

Viggo and Mahershala?  Hell yeah

So I saw it with zero bias and I thought it portrayed all of that just fine, did not find it pandering or white savior at all from where I sat.  I guess I'd have to watch again now that I know that is a thing with it. 

I wouldn't think Mahershala Ali and Octavia Spencer would be involved in something that was blatantly  "white savior".  The lead  character's flaws are laid out quite clearly.  The Dr Shirley character and their time together transforms him, that's what the film's about.

Now that I know all this other stuff: I'm not gonna pile on Farrelly for being the ####### he is, or Viggo for an ill-advised slip-up, but they really should have consulted Dr Shirley's family on the portrayal and seen what other sides to the story they could get. And I don't forgive MAGA people, any more than I forgive ISIS brides

Again, ALL THAT ASIDE I thought it was a good movie.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I haven't seen Green Book, but from what I've read it has a lot of race problems. Is it another White Savior movie? Does it downplay the violence and fear that Dr. Shirley faced? 

From reading the critiques, it seems like a pretty flawed movie.

And Roma was not. It was really beautiful. And the sounds were amazing.

Not being true to the source material and being a flawed movie are two different things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All week around here I was calling Green Book "Green Room" and "Green Door".. the latter is particularly embarrassing because I'm pretty sure the only reason that is in my brain is because it's an old Cars lyric

I am an ancient and feeble man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched all* the nominees this year so a few more bad opinions and I'm done..

The Favourite was my favourite. 

but I really really wanted Blackkklansman to win.  If nothing else so more people can watch that speech scene.  Also Spike deserves it

Liked Green Book, Roma.  Roma to me didn't have enough of a plot, I think those movies no matter how beautiful are ultimately forgotten

Black Panther - great but superhero formula with an infinite budget, move along

A Star Is Born - saw this Friday.  Weepy.  Very mediocre music, from the opening notes.  I found the jumping forward in time without much context jolting. Killer acting for sure.

Vice - fun enough I guess, already forgot it

*Boh Rhaps - OK to be honest I watched this on somebody else's screen on a flight, while listening to my own music, so no sound.  Didn't look very good, or bold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eoMMan said:

I wouldn't go as far as "it sucked" but it wasn't a great movie.  A lot of the other "comic book" movies are much better.

I dont get this take, but to each their own.  I think BP is a top 5 Marvel movie, and much better by at least a factor of 10 than anything other studios put out for the genre.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what i understand about the problems w Green Book, it's the climate rather than the movie itself. In '90, there was an Oscar race where a great movie the black community had a lot invested in, Malcolm X, lost to a half-measures, white-people's black movie in Driving Miss Daisy. A lot of folk saw parallels between the first real mainstream blockbuster black picture in Black Panther and Green Book, which some are calling Driving Mr. Daisy and what happened back then. Can't really blame the community for not wanting their race "lessons" coming from white comedy writers from Rhode Island. Then again, if they'd back off pumping nobility into everything a black person does onscreen, maybe white people would back off showing em how drama is done.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JZilla said:

I watched all* the nominees this year so a few more bad opinions and I'm done..

The Favourite was my favourite. 

but I really really wanted Blackkklansman to win.  If nothing else so more people can watch that speech scene.  Also Spike deserves it

Liked Green Book, Roma.  Roma to me didn't have enough of a plot, I think those movies no matter how beautiful are ultimately forgotten

Black Panther - great but superhero formula with an infinite budget, move along

A Star Is Born - saw this Friday.  Weepy.  Very mediocre music, from the opening notes.  I found the jumping forward in time without much context jolting. Killer acting for sure.

Vice - fun enough I guess, already forgot it 

*Boh Rhaps - OK to be honest I watched this on somebody else's screen on a flight, while listening to my own music, so no sound.  Didn't look very good, or bold.

I've only seen two of these movies but I feel like I can confidently say that Paddington 2 was way better than all of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

I've only seen two of these movies but I feel like I can confidently say that Paddington 2 was way better than all of them.

"Sorry To Bother You" was better than half of them

"Isle Of Dogs" deserved a nod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JZilla said:

"Sorry To Bother You" was better than half of them

"Isle Of Dogs" deserved a nod

Thanks, planning to get to both.

I was 100% serious, btw. Others agree.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw A LOT of movies last year. MoviePass.

I thought the best one was BlackKklansman. And Roma deserves a mention because it was great to look at and listen to. 

As for superhero movies, I thought Deadpool 2 was better than Black Panther. But I understand and respect the cultural significance of BP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JZilla said:

"Sorry To Bother You" was better than half of them

"Isle Of Dogs" deserved a nod

I liked Sorry to Bother You. But it definitely goes in an ... unexpected direction. Good movie, though.

I really like Wes Anderson and was INCREDIBLY excited for Isle of Dogs. I was a little bit disappointed. It was good. I just think I expected it to be amazing. And it wasn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Thanks, planning to get to both.

I was 100% serious, btw. Others agree.

I know this was well loved and so was the first one but I never saw either one.. we'll have to pick up some good gin and have a Paddington day around here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JZilla said:

I know this was well loved and so was the first one but I never saw either one.. we'll have to pick up some good gin and have a Paddington day around here

Didn't see the first one. Second one is what would happen if someone took the best script for a kids' movie in a long time and handed it to Wes Anderson to shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Didn't see the first one. Second one is what would happen if someone took the best script for a kids' movie in a long time and handed it to Wes Anderson to shoot.

Huh. That's interesting. This is why I come into these threads -- to find out about a gem that I would have otherwise passed over. 

I'll have to check Paddington 2 out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

From what i understand about the problems w Green Book, it's the climate rather than the movie itself. In '90, there was an Oscar race where a great movie the black community had a lot invested in, Malcolm X, lost to a half-measures, white-people's black movie in Driving Miss Daisy. A lot of folk saw parallels between the first real mainstream blockbuster black picture in Black Panther and Green Book, which some are calling Driving Mr. Daisy and what happened back then. Can't really blame the community for not wanting their race "lessons" coming from white comedy writers from Rhode Island. Then again, if they'd back off pumping nobility into everything a black person does onscreen, maybe white people would back off showing em how drama is done.

Driving Miss Daisy won in '89, 4 years before Malcolm X would have been on the ballot.  The year Denzel was up for best actor for his role in it was the '93 Oscars, where he lost to Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman. I thought Denzel was jobbed on that one.  Malcolm X wasn't even nominated for best picture that year; Unforgiven beat out The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Howard's End and Scent of a Woman. I'm not saying that the Oscars haven't overlooked people of color over the years, but what you cited is just flat-out wrong.  Sorry, GB, you're a very reliable poster, just not this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

From what i understand about the problems w Green Book, it's the climate rather than the movie itself. In '90, there was an Oscar race where a great movie the black community had a lot invested in, Malcolm X, lost to a half-measures, white-people's black movie in Driving Miss Daisy. A lot of folk saw parallels between the first real mainstream blockbuster black picture in Black Panther and Green Book, which some are calling Driving Mr. Daisy and what happened back then. Can't really blame the community for not wanting their race "lessons" coming from white comedy writers from Rhode Island. Then again, if they'd back off pumping nobility into everything a black person does onscreen, maybe white people would back off showing em how drama is done.

100%. At the end of the Oscars, the big winner was a movie about black-white  US race relations. There were maybe 30-40 people from the film on stage celebrating and only 3 were black. The family of the musician the movie is based on hated it and had a lot of complaints about the accuracy of it. So much so Ali met with them and apologized. Viggo dropped an n-bomb on the press tour. The director is the Dumb and Dumber guy who is notorious for making everyone in his movies look at his penis. One of the writers had some tweets that were offensive to Muslims. I haven't seen it so I can't comment but the backlash is just about the baggage around it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Driving Miss Daisy won in '89, 4 years before Malcolm X would have been on the ballot.  The year Denzel was up for best actor for his role in it was the '93 Oscars, where he lost to Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman. I thought Denzel was jobbed on that one.  Malcolm X wasn't even nominated for best picture that year; Unforgiven beat out The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Howard's End and Scent of a Woman. I'm not saying that the Oscars haven't overlooked people of color over the years, but what you cited is just flat-out wrong.  Sorry, GB, you're a very reliable poster, just not this time.

oops - i read an opinion piece which i thought made this point but i musta old-peopled whatever they were getting at. thx for ombundsmanning me. Only truth can make things right

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:
58 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

From what i understand about the problems w Green Book, it's the climate rather than the movie itself. In '90, there was an Oscar race where a great movie the black community had a lot invested in, Malcolm X, lost to a half-measures, white-people's black movie in Driving Miss Daisy. A lot of folk saw parallels between the first real mainstream blockbuster black picture in Black Panther and Green Book, which some are calling Driving Mr. Daisy and what happened back then. Can't really blame the community for not wanting their race "lessons" coming from white comedy writers from Rhode Island. Then again, if they'd back off pumping nobility into everything a black person does onscreen, maybe white people would back off showing em how drama is done.

Driving Miss Daisy won in '89, 4 years before Malcolm X would have been on the ballot.  The year Denzel was up for best actor for his role in it was the '93 Oscars, where he lost to Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman. I thought Denzel was jobbed on that one.  Malcolm X wasn't even nominated for best picture that year; Unforgiven beat out The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Howard's End and Scent of a Woman. I'm not saying that the Oscars haven't overlooked people of color over the years, but what you cited is just flat-out wrong.  Sorry, GB, you're a very reliable poster, just not this time.

Driving Miss Daisy was the year of "Do The Right Thing."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Driving Miss Daisy won in '89, 4 years before Malcolm X would have been on the ballot.  The year Denzel was up for best actor for his role in it was the '93 Oscars, where he lost to Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman. I thought Denzel was jobbed on that one.  Malcolm X wasn't even nominated for best picture that year; Unforgiven beat out The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Howard's End and Scent of a Woman. I'm not saying that the Oscars haven't overlooked people of color over the years, but what you cited is just flat-out wrong.  Sorry, GB, you're a very reliable poster, just not this time.

It was worse than what Wikkid stated. Driving Miss Daisy won and Do the Right Thing was not even nominated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

It was worse than what Wikkid stated. Driving Miss Daisy won and Do the Right Thing was not even nominated. 

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think Driving Miss Daisy should have been nominated either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think Driving Miss Daisy should have been nominated either. 

I don't really care that much and I actually saw it for the first time this year. It's better than I thought it was going to be. There were many better films that year:

Do the Right Thing, Field of Dreams, When Harry Met Sally, Born on the 4th of July, Dead Poets Society, My Left Foot and Crimes and Misdemeanors were all deserving of Best Picture over Miss Daisy. The Oscars often get it wrong. That's been going on for as long as the Oscars have existed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, it was a travesty that 8th Grade didn't get a single nomination. I am way behind in movies from this year but that was my favorite so far. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

100%. At the end of the Oscars, the big winner was a movie about black-white  US race relations. There were maybe 30-40 people from the film on stage celebrating and only 3 were black. The family of the musician the movie is based on hated it and had a lot of complaints about the accuracy of it. So much so Ali met with them and apologized. Viggo dropped an n-bomb on the press tour. The director is the Dumb and Dumber guy who is notorious for making everyone in his movies look at his penis. One of the writers had some tweets that were offensive to Muslims. I haven't seen it so I can't comment but the backlash is just about the baggage around it. 

well, i hate to race it up, but black people aren''t doing much better with the material than white people are.

i was just arguing this with a very liberal relative who came to visit my peeps this wkend. can't harsh the wimmens, the differents, the emerging populations in any way. now, i was genuinely proud to see all the female & unpronounceable names among the noms last night and i hope their art is fine & true (if it don't make it to netflix or redbox i don't see it anymore, but.....). but most of the content involving people of color that i've seen recently has had the nobility elevened the #### up in a very disingenuous manner. 

my multivarious life and work experience has given me a pretty good sense of story. my leftist politics make me weep & swoon over any struggle for survival, liberation or personal dignity. but you amp it, even the tiniest li'l bit, it distorts. you not only ruin the nobility, you set noble causes back. this generation of Oprahsizing, safespacing and dignitypimping content may somehow be necessary and uplifting, but there are no set-asides in art and only truth survives posterity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Do The Right Thing was good, but absurdly overrated. So it's not one of the examples I think of "when the academy got it wrong".

12 Years A Slave and Birdman are the ones that I think of. Didn't like either.

Edited by Mr. Mojo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Driving Miss Daisy was the year of "Do The Right Thing."

THAT's what it was. my mind did that switchy thing that old white people do that rightfully pisses black people off so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nipsey said:

I guess push back against Netflix and maybe Shape of water winning just last year? What an absolute travesty.

Yup. Roma was DOA once Senor Spielbergo came out against it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

well, i hate to race it up, but black people aren''t doing much better with the material than white people are.

i was just arguing this with a very liberal relative who came to visit my peeps this wkend. can't harsh the wimmens, the differents, the emerging populations in any way. now, i was genuinely proud to see all the female & unpronounceable names among the noms last night and i hope their art is fine & true (if it don't make it to netflix or redbox i don't see it anymore, but.....). but most of the content involving people of color that i've seen recently has had the nobility elevened the #### up in a very disingenuous manner. 

my multivarious life and work experience has given me a pretty good sense of story. my leftist politics make me weep & swoon over any struggle for survival, liberation or personal dignity. but you amp it, even the tiniest li'l bit, it distorts. you not only ruin the nobility, you set noble causes back. this generation of Oprahsizing, safespacing and dignitypimping content may somehow be necessary and uplifting, but there are no set-asides in art and only truth survives posterity.

Out of curiosity, does this include Moonlight? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Lotta hate for Black Panther in here.  

It's not hate.

 

To me, it's more about if they're actually going to honor a movie in the MARVEL franchise....honor the whole franchise by giving it to Avengers: Endgame.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Didn't see the first one. Second one is what would happen if someone took the best script for a kids' movie in a long time and handed it to Wes Anderson to shoot.

First one is just as good.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

It's not hate.

 

To me, it's more about if they're actually going to honor a movie in the MARVEL franchise....honor the whole franchise by giving it to Avengers: Endgame.  

So instead of giving it to a movie that was universally well received, they should wait to give it to a movie that's not even released yet and might not be good? I guess at some point one of these comic book movies will win Best Picture since it seesms to be about all audiences want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Out of curiosity, does this include Moonlight? 

no, i loved that. the indie stuff like that and Fruitvale Station, by Black Panther's director, has often been exceptional. i know the voices are there because there are alarming, compelling and elevating stories screaming to be told. i just hate that stuff getting Oprahcized

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also, it was a travesty that 8th Grade didn't get a single nomination. I am way behind in movies from this year but that was my favorite so far. 

Agreed.  My favorites were 8th Grade, Roma, Private Life, Lean on Pete, BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite and The Death of Stalin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Agreed.  My favorites were 8th Grade, Roma, Private Life, Lean on Pete, BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite and The Death of Stalin.

This was fantastic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should do my own list of what should have won best picture for the last 90+ years. Not that I have seen everything but I've seen a lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I should do my own list of what should have won best picture for the last 90+ years. Not that I have seen everything but I've seen a lot. 

I'd be here for this content.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I'd be here for this content.

Maybe when Krista wraps up her Beatles countdown and I have some time to look it over I'll start hacking away at it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Panther was an average superhero movie. Nothing outstanding about it except the visuals were quite good.

Did enjoy it more than Wonder Woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

Maybe when Krista wraps up her Beatles countdown and I have some time to look it over I'll start hacking away at it. 

:thumbup:  Maybe I'll see if I can get a parallel list going in a spreadsheet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

:thumbup:  Maybe I'll see if I can get a parallel list going in a spreadsheet.

Nice, dueling awards. I could go back to 28 and really even to 20 but not sure how much people care about Best Picture of 1923 lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Nice, dueling awards. I could go back to 28 and really even to 20 but not sure how much people care about Best Picture of 1923 lol. 

I was just looking over films during the 1920s over lunch to see how far back I could go, and 1923 was the one year that decade that stumped me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Quixote said:

I was just looking over films during the 1920s over lunch to see how far back I could go, and 1923 was the one year that decade that stumped me.

I have seen a couple from that year. There is an obvious winner IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

So instead of giving it to a movie that was universally well received, they should wait to give it to a movie that's not even released yet and might not be good? I guess at some point one of these comic book movies will win Best Picture since it seesms to be about all audiences want. 

As far as Endgame goes...sure, it could be a turd and not be deserving......but if it's  capable...it would better nominating it and recognizing the entire franchise (much like they did with Return of the King for the  Lord of the Rings franchise)as a whole....than one of the movies in the chain.  Black Panther isn't such a cut above a majority of the other Marvel movies that it deserves recognition by itself....particularly over the entire franchise.  I guess one could make a sociological point as to why Black Panther deserves to win it.....but I don't know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not being true to the source material and being a flawed movie are two different things

Many said the same about Bohemian Rhapsody. Matter of fact most films based on true stories that are packing years into 2 hours 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

As far as Endgame goes...sure, it could be a turd and not be deserving......but if it's  capable...it would better nominating it and recognizing the entire franchise (much like they did with Return of the King for the  Lord of the Rings franchise)as a whole....than one of the movies in the chain.  Black Panther isn't such a cut above a majority of the other Marvel movies that it deserves recognition by itself....particularly over the entire franchise.  I guess one could make a sociological point as to why Black Panther deserves to win it.....but I don't know.

 

There were 3 LoR, aren't there like 30 Marvel movies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Black Panther was above average as far as the Marvel Movies go, but it wasn't even close to Best Picture worthy. Cool costumes and world that they built, but not much else. The story was good but other MCU movies have been better. And I actually dont even think the visuals were all that great. Maybe it was an art style decision to try and amp up the futuristic feel of Wakanda, but I thought some of the visuals (especially the last fight scene between the 2 Panthers) were way too shiny and cartoony looking. To me, it seemed like Marvel was using the A team for the Infinity War work.

Good movie, but outside the top 5 MCU movies for me. (In no particular order......Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, Infinity Wars, Avengers, Civil War). Its in the next tier with Guardians 1, Dr. Strange, Iron Man 1 and Homecoming. 

And that doesn't even include a movie like Logan, which was a FAR better film than Blank Panther.

I dont generally care about award shows and I get why they pushed black panther the way they did. Whatever.

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Black Panther but i agree with the above poster that it had some of the worst CGI of any of the marvel movies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

I liked Black Panther but i agree with the above poster that it had some of the worst CGI of any of the marvel movies. 

Yet won "production design".  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.