What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Would The US Do What New Zealand Just Did Banning Assault Weapons? (1 Viewer)

Strict interpretation is only a little white out away. 
Or you can just ignore half of the words, I guess.   The argument between Scalia and Stevens on this was fascinating, but I don't think that declaring half of an amendment meaningless is what the founders had in mind.

Or you can just ignore half of the words, I guess.   The argument between Scalia and Stevens on this was fascinating, but I don't think that declaring half of an amendment meaningless is what the founders had in mind.
Ironically, with the court taking the position that the words are simply informative of the purpose of the amendment, but not having any legal effect on it restricting the government, we can now conclude that the founding fathers were ill-informed when they wrote the amendment. As we now know that a well regulated militia is NOT necessary to the security of a free state. If they were necessary, all the states that don't have militias wouldn't be free.

Given the founding fathers will ill-informed on the necessity of the amendment, the entire amendment should be ignored, and not just the part that informs us of the purpose of the amendment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically, with the court taking the position that the words are simply informative of the purpose of the amendment, but not having any legal effect on it restricting the government, we can now conclude that the founding fathers were ill-informed when they wrote the amendment. As we now know that a well regulated militia is NOT necessary to the security of a free state. If they were necessary, all the states that don't have militias wouldn't be free.

Given the founding fathers will ill-informed on the necessity of the amendment, the entire amendment should be ignored, and not just the part that informs us of the purpose of the amendment. 
I'm sure we'll get right on that constitutional amendment.   Right after the ERA.

it restarted a conversation. And I think the fact the pro gun crowd can source the manifesto means this conversation will not gain a lot of footing. 
Lets suppose the AR15 and similar weapons are banned. How many owners will use them on the police/authorities in retaliation? Will it amount to civil war?

Let's not forget that little nugget....

Users who are viewing this thread