What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Yang 2024! (1 Viewer)

I like Yang.  He's had some very disappointing views on foreign policy, but I certainly agree with the idea of a basic income guarantee (at least as better application of resources than a massive welfare state). 

But Matt Stoller, who I respect a lot, presents an argument here that Yang defends Big Tech by obfuscating their monopoly power, and that his argument about automation gets us to passively accept corporate power as the natural state of affairs.  Not sure what the answer is but I think it's an interesting point.  

Andrew Yang@AndrewYang· 14m

We did it! Couldn't have done it without you. Here's to one million more! #yanggang

Yang gets to a million followers on Twitter.

#Cult

(I like Yang, and hope he finds a role in the next Dem administration)

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/01/andrew-yang-fundraising-campaign-074654

Andrew Yang raised $750,000 on Nov. 30, his single best fundraising day to date of his campaign.

Yang’s campaign told POLITICO that the campaign received over 18,000 contributions on Saturday, with an average donation of $41.

What was unusual about Yang’s fundraising haul was that it wasn’t tied to any typical big fundraising event like a debate or end-of-quarter push, other than the end of the month. Other campaigns have also launched fundraising pleas to raise large amounts of money, threatening to drop out if they don’t hit that total, but Yang’s campaign made no such pitch.

“I think what was so cool about this was all it took was 'This is the end of the month' and the campaign [saying]: ‘Hey, we’re small dollars [powered] here,'” Nick Ryan, Yang’s campaign chief, told POLITICO. “Just putting that through a lot of organic channels, not having to drum up any sort of event around it, and we have a base that goes above and beyond.”

The Saturday haul was part of a larger push for the Yang campaign to raise $2 million in one week, a goal Yang tweeted that they hit early Sunday morning. It continues the trend of strong fundraising for the first-time candidate. His campaign raised nearly $10 million in the third quarter of the year, and has increasingly staffed up his campaign as money continues to flow in.

Aides said the fundraising will give the campaign resources to stay in the race after voters actually start voting. “We’re starting to show some movement in national polling, and I suspect a lot of the early states are going to reflect that investment as well,” Ryan said.
Although his base is smaller than many other candidates, they actually believe in him and are excited about his candidacy. Lets hope the trend continues. 

https://www.newsweek.com/andrew-yang-fourth-most-favored-candidate-buttigieg-poll-1478990

Andrew Yang has slightly overtaken Pete Buttigieg in the 2020 Democratic primary net favorability rankings following the sixth debate between party candidates, a new poll has found.

The entrepreneur's net favorability score—the share of potential Democratic primary voters who view him positively minus those with unfavorable views—jumped seven points after the Los Angeles debate, according to Morning Consult.

As a result of the post-debate boost, Yang now has a net favorability score of 34 percent, putting him in fourth place and a point ahead of Pete Buttigieg on 33 percent.

Prior to the debate, Morning Consult polling between December 9 and 15 found Buttigieg three points ahead of Yang on favorability, with a 30 percent net positive rating.
On the rise. Yang may be the Dems best shot. 

Awful, boring, debate. The closing statements were kk some of the most cringeworthy, poll-tested, in-authentic statements I’ve ever seen on a debate state. @VanJones68 - you know @AndrewYang is the only hope for this crew of Democratic swamp creatures.
I'm actually agreeing with Van Jones.

Andrew Yang won last night's primary debate without attending it

The top four winners of last night’s debate, according to Google searches and the number of tweets about each candidate, were Bernie Sanders, followed by Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, and then Andrew Yang. Ironically, Yang wasn’t even on the debate stage.

Bernie Sanders was the most tweeted-about candidate during tonight's #DemDebate, per @Twitter.

Andrew Yang came in fourth despite not qualifying for the debate. https://t.co/V63kUnpANP pic.twitter.com/3Hu1cYFLA6

— ABC News (@ABC) January 15, 2020

Yang failed to qualify for Tuesday’s seventh Democratic primary debate, but his campaign still holds an appeal that few candidates have managed to replicate. It’s relatable, yet intriguing. It seems most voters are still trying to figure out who Yang is and whether he’s serious when he vows to give every person in the country $1,000 per month. (Hint: He is.)

Yang sympathizes with blue-collar workers by addressing what might be the most potent crisis they face: automation and the effect it’s had on the cost of labor. Few politicians are willing to address automation because few people outside the working class are willing to admit that technology has a price tag, one that isn’t always monetary.

Yang also does well among young voters, and it’s easy to see why. He’s unscripted, casual, and, as the kids say, chill. He is not an ideologue. He rarely wears a tie, and his performances during the first few primary debates didn’t feel rehearsed. Yang pays little attention to the political drama that’s consumed the other Democratic candidates (looking at you, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren), and instead of lamenting his lack of political experience, he’s embraced it.

Just yesterday, for instance, Yang weighed into the liberal split between Warren and Sanders and said, “Watching this Elizabeth-Bernie dynamic is upsetting. We have big problems to solve and both want to solve them. I’m sure that’s where they would want our attention focused too.”

Regardless of whether Yang makes it to the next debate stage, it’s clear his campaign isn’t going anywhere any time soon. There’s still a demand for the down-to-earth expertise Yang offers, and his core issues are just niche enough to generate attention. After all, who else in the field is talking about a universal basic income?

But the secret to Yang’s success thus far hasn’t been his policies; it’s been him, Andrew Yang, the personable entrepreneur who treats people like human beings rather than votes to win. His campaign is driven by his personality, and clearly, it’s working. His absence on last night’s debate stage was noticeable, so he must be doing something right.

The only reason I know who Tom Steyer is, is because he's running adds in SC, aside from that, never heard of him. Have no clue who Amy Klobuchar is. HTF did these people get in teh debate of Yang? Seriously, this whole process is a ####### joke.

The only reason I know who Tom Steyer is, is because he's running adds in SC, aside from that, never heard of him. Have no clue who Amy Klobuchar is. HTF did these people get in teh debate of Yang? Seriously, this whole process is a ####### joke.
Yeah I don’t really understand it either. I know who Klobuchar is as she’s been in all the debates but I don’t get how Seyer has leapfrogged Yang (or Bloomberg for that matter).  

Yeah I don’t really understand it either. I know who Klobuchar is as she’s been in all the debates but I don’t get how Seyer has leapfrogged Yang (or Bloomberg for that matter).  
It’s all about the debate qualification criteria.  He qualified based solely on polls in SC and NV.  In those two states 90+% of the political ads are Steyer ads right now.

ETA: And under the current rules Bloomberg will never be in a debate even if he’s in first place because he isn’t soliciting contributions.

Last edited by a moderator:
he got a big boost last nite from being on the first Real Time of the year. Maher was very impressed (esp by Andrew's natural sense of humor) - wouldnt be surprised if the next mil he throws in a Dem direction goes to the YangGang

he got a big boost last nite from being on the first Real Time of the year. Maher was very impressed (esp by Andrew's natural sense of humor) - wouldnt be surprised if the next mil he throws in a Dem direction goes to the WangGang
I don't tune into Real Time, but this is awesome news.  Yang seems to impress whenever he gets airtime.  Rogan liked him and even surprisingly Ben Shapiro wasn't combative with Yang when he was on. 

Max Power said:
wikkidpissah said:
he got a big boost last nite from being on the first Real Time of the year. Maher was very impressed (esp by Andrew's natural sense of humor) - wouldnt be surprised if the next mil he throws in a Dem direction goes to the WangGang
I don't tune into Real Time, but this is awesome news.  Yang seems to impress whenever he gets airtime.  Rogan liked him and even surprisingly Ben Shapiro wasn't combative with Yang when he was on. 
Just watched it and he was awesome on it.  Every time I hear the guy speak I like him more.  I’m officially 100% on the #yanggang train. He truly comes across as a normal guy, absolutely zero “politician” vibe.  Pelosi was on the show too and the juxtaposition between the two was glaring.  

Just watched it and he was awesome on it.  Every time I hear the guy speak I like him more.  I’m officially 100% on the #yanggang train. He truly comes across as a normal guy, absolutely zero “politician” vibe.  Pelosi was on the show too and the juxtaposition between the two was glaring.  
I wish the DNC would push him more as a candidate.  He by far is the best option running on that side.  Experience is the only thing working against the guy, but as we saw with Trump, that can be overrated.  The voting public is tired of DC politics, so these outsiders really do become more appealing. 

I think the fact that the DNC doesn't know what they have in Yang is what scares them from full on backing him.  He is the candidate that I think could actually beat Trump. 

Yang is in favor of Congressional term limits.

There are a bunch of complicated arguments both for and against them.

There's a simple argument for them that I'd like to call attention to: I'll call it the Jeff Flake effect. It seems like politicians become much more willing to speak out against their own party's faults once they are no longer running for reelection. It makes me wish more politicians were no longer running for reelection. I wonder whether Lindsay Graham, for example, would be such a cartoonish fraud if he were ineligible to run again. I wouldn't mind saying goodbye to Mitch McConnell, either, or to anyone else who accumulates inordinate power via seniority. (See also: Robert Byrd.)

There are other factors to consider -- the effect on the role of lobbyists, etc. -- but I submit that the Jeff Flake effect should be an important consideration.

I wish the DNC would push him more as a candidate.  He by far is the best option running on that side.  Experience is the only thing working against the guy, but as we saw with Trump, that can be overrated.  The voting public is tired of DC politics, so these outsiders really do become more appealing. 

I think the fact that the DNC doesn't know what they have in Yang is what scares them from full on backing him.  He is the candidate that I think could actually beat Trump. 
He's got my vote. Even if he doesn't make it through this time, he's young enough to give it another shot, so I won't be too depressed if he doesn't end up being the candidate for 2020.

So I feel partially responsible for a shift in the Yangverse. Sunday night Yang retweeted a story about him wanting to help all police obtain a purple belt in jujitsu. Being a big fan of Jocko Willink I suggested Yang should reach out to Jocko when he gets elected President here. Jocko replied yesterday and then doubled down later last night on his twitter feed here.

My question is how do I parlay this into a cabinet position?

So I feel partially responsible for a shift in the Yangverse. Sunday night Yang retweeted a story about him wanting to help all police obtain a purple belt in jujitsu. Being a big fan of Jocko Willink I suggested Yang should reach out to Jocko when he gets elected President here. Jocko replied yesterday and then doubled down later last night on his twitter feed here.

My question is how do I parlay this into a cabinet position?
Nice!  Jacko is a beast. 

Email from the Yang Campaign.

I have many feelings after over two years in this race.  After meeting thousands of Americans across the country, looking them in the eye, and telling them they deserve better from their country -- I am more determined than ever to make Humanity First a reality.

Each time our message reaches another person and helps them see that the opportunity to get their own slice of the American Dream is possible, we grow and fortify our movement.

That is why your contribution now is more important than it’s ever been.  We have to make history -- before it’s too late.  Pitch in $10 or more now so we can hit our goal by tomorrow night.

The hard truth is we won’t beat Donald Trump with what’s coming out of Washington today -- old ideas and angry rhetoric.  Donald Trump is a symptom of a broken system.  To defeat him, we need to band together and make our movement the most powerful in politics today.

Let’s win.

-Andrew

He's got my vote. Even if he doesn't make it through this time, he's young enough to give it another shot, so I won't be too depressed if he doesn't end up being the candidate for 2020.
I think he's done enough to be considered for a position in whoever wins administration... that would only help his case down the line

Andrew Yang: I'm the only candidate Trump hasn't tweeted about

2020 Democratic candidate Andrew Yang discusses his poll numbers in Iowa, why he expects to 'overperform' in the state's caucuses, why he believes Trump has not tweeted about him and if he'll vote for the Dem nominee regardless of who clinches the nomination.

VIDEO: https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/andrew-yang-i-m-the-only-candidate-trump-hasn-t-tweeted-about-78008389539
Fingers crossed for a good showing tonight.  I wish the Dem party would take him more seriously.

Even though I'm a Bernie guy I hope Yang has a good showing and sticks around in future years. It's great to have new ideas and people willing to think outside the box. 
Yep, 2020 is too soon for him, but I hope he sticks around and continues to expand on what he already is.

Ya either get this guy on the ticket as pres or VP or I vote Trump.

The freedom dividend  :thumbup:   - I want my money!!!

He lost me with the "math" pin...and I have a minor in mathematics.

His message came off so gimmicky...even if it wasn't.

I hope that Yang endorses Sanders for a place in an administration. Bernie (perhaps Warren, but toast there) is the only one who might make any marginal progress towards UBI.

One of the two sane ones has dropped out.

the other one is languishing at 1 percent in the polls

Is there any room for sanity in today’s D  party?

Users who are viewing this thread