What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Hogan - 2024 (1 Viewer)

I know a dude who moved from Maryland to OR......he hated it out there......he's not a huge fan of OR's politics either, but he makes Maryland sound pretty ####ty

I know a dude who moved from Maryland to OR......he hated it out there......he's not a huge fan of OR's politics either, but he makes Maryland sound pretty ####ty
Maryland is beautiful, prosperous, unassuming.  While indeed a perma-Dem state it isn't particularly woke in what is enacted.  Taxes are high but services & infrastructure quite good.  People are generally free and the re-education camps not heavily used.

Maryland is beautiful, prosperous, unassuming.  While indeed a perma-Dem state it isn't particularly woke in what is enacted.  Taxes are high but services & infrastructure quite good.  People are generally free and the re-education camps not heavily used.
Maryland is a fantastic state to get educated, work, and raise a family.  it's proximity to some of the world's most influential and significant cities can't be beat.  The populace is largely educated, infrastructure is awesome, medical care is among the best in the world, you have all four seasons and can be at a beach or kind of mountain within a 3 hour drive.

Taxes are high and it's not friendly to retirees.  I'll be keeping my Maryland pad and buying a place in Florida when retirement comes.  My kids love Maryland and will likely stay here plus I want ready access to Johns Hopkins when needed. 

The Z Machine said:
Somewhat agreed.  They did break his veto a few times.

Also, why Carroll County?
Carroll County is getting a bit more progressive through time.  It's still largely a Trump loving section of the state, but as with most areas of the country, as more educated and higher income move there they're bringing more progressive ideas with them. 

Carroll County is getting a bit more progressive through time.  It's still largely a Trump loving section of the state, but as with most areas of the country, as more educated and higher income move there they're bringing more progressive ideas with them. 
I agree with this. The pace of change is very slow but also inevitable imho.

Great description of MD

We're also not very preoccupied with a state identity here, which might color more of our political views than we are consciously aware of. 

I'm just goin by his assessment. FWIW, he identifies as a Libertarian.

He also said you get bad tick infestations out there...... interesting and disgusting.

I'm just goin by his assessment. FWIW, he identifies as a Libertarian.

He also said you get bad tick infestations out there...... interesting and disgusting.
Ticks are indeed bad here in MD.  Not sure if worse or better than, say, NC or PA.  We have copious deer certainly, and I believe that is the main vector.

When I was a kid in MD in the 70s I don't recall ticks being as big of a thing.

Little known fact; I got Lyme from a tick in 2005.  Diagnosed promptly (the bullseye).  2 weeks of doxycycline and all better.

Ticks are indeed bad here in MD.  Not sure if worse or better than, say, NC or PA.  We have copious deer certainly, and I believe that is the main vector.

Little known fact; I got Lyme from a tick in 2005.  Diagnosed promptly (the bullseye).  2 weeks of doxycycline and all better.
Glad you caught it early!  Lyme is nasty!

Thankfully yes.  Since 2020 the number of folks 25 - 29 that have a degree has risen by a third.  The amount with a masters has almost double.  That closely mirrors the increase in US society as a whole. 

It will take time but it's happening.

https://educationdata.org/education-attainment-statistics

https://educationdata.org/education-attainment-statistics

I suppose.  But we should check at what kind of degrees they are graduating with. For example, engineering, math, teaching, etc...I would consider that a good education.

However, if it's one of those questionsble degrees like Sociology, Interpretive Dance, Gender Studies, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
Maryland is the Connecticut of the Mid-Atlantic region.
Hmmm, that's interesting.  Why do you say?  

For a majority Blue state --  the bulk of the landmass is rural and Red -- Allegheny and Garrett County in Western MD might as well be West Virginia; In fact from Carroll County west its Red.  Eastern Shore is the same -- Its a Red sandwich with BMore City / County, Howard Co, Mont Co in between.

For a majority Blue state --  the bulk of the landmass is rural and Red -- Allegheny and Garrett County in Western MD might as well be West Virginia; In fact from Carroll County west its Red.  Eastern Shore is the same -- Its a Red sandwich with BMore City / County, Howard Co, Mont Co in between.
I spent the first 22 years of my life in Connecticut.  I’ve spent the last 14 in Maryland.  They both strike me as generally rich and bland and generally positive but nothing to get too excited about.  

I do think a big part of it is my perception because in both states I lived in suburban areas where those kinda people live (outside New York then outside D.C.).  People that grow up on the Eastern Shore obviously have a very different experience.

This is generally true. But in 2020 Biden, who won the state by 33 points, also flipped Talbot and Kent Counties on the eastern shore, and Frederick County to the west of Carroll.

I don't think that necessarily means that those three counties have become permanently blue in light of the GOP'S terrible candidate but it could be construed that the state is becoming ever more solidly blue and that the end of Carroll County's time as a red jurisdiction is in sight.

I suppose.  But we should check at what kind of degrees they are graduating with. For example, engineering, math, teaching, etc...I would consider that a good education.

However, if it's one of those questionsble degrees like Sociology, Interpretive Dance, Gender Studies, etc....
What % of degrees do you think the ones you mentioned constitute?

Education of any kind is preferable to no education. 

I'm a MD ex-pat living in VA, but most of my family & friends are still east of the Potomac so I still follow the goings-on there. 

Hogan has zero shot at the GOP nomination, IMO. His distancing from Donald Trump and - fair or unfair - his lack of polish when speaking would get him killed in a national campaign.

That said, he seems to be one of the better governors of my lifetime, but it's a very low bar to clear. Check out this banner list.

Spiro Agnew. I don't remember Agnew when he was governor, but I do remember him as VP and him becoming the first VP in 150 years to resign. Tax evasion, fraud, all manner of stuff (most dating back to his time as governor). Nixon hated him and let him hang himself. Agnew was never implicated in Watergate (because Nixon didn't trust him, I guess), but there's no doubt in my mind he'd have been balls-deep in it given the opportunity. Eventually cut a deal with prosecutors on one count of the zillion pending against him and resigned in disgrace.

Marvin Mandel. Oh, Marvin. Let's see..... While in office, dumped his wife for a woman he had a kid with out of wedlock (there were rumors of other women & kids, too). His wife refused to leave the governor's mansion, so he shacked up with his baby-momma in an apartment. Got investigated for just about financial crime imaginable - racketeering, fraud, tax evasion, bribery - while in office. Had a stroke, which supposedly was the reason his LtGov, Blair Lee, had to serve as acting governor for two years. He then got found guilty and did time in Federal prison. I believe Reagan commuted the sentence after a couple of years.

Larry Hughes. He probably had the most benign governorship of all of these guys. I don't recall any scandals. He was a huge force behind efforts to clean up the Bay.

William Donald Schaefer. Willy Don was the most popular MD governor of my lifetime. He ran as a democrat because that was how you won in MD, but he'd be labeled a DINO today. He's still beloved in many circles for his fight against Irsay moving the Colts, but he was as crooked as the day is long (he & his cronies like Louis Goldstein used the state of MD as an ATM). He also was a loon who didn't give one rat's ### what anyone thought. He called the Eastern Shore a ####house. He openly sexually harassed women. His ignorance and comments about AIDS were not shining moments, even for the time. 

Parris Glendenning. He was even more crooked than Schaefer and didn't bother hiding it. If you were a friend and were, say, building a house there would be county & state workers and equipment there every day. Zoning laws would mysteriously get flipped. He was also the king of gerrymandering. 

Bob Erlich. One term R Gov. He ran the right way and made a feeble attempt at governing the same way. He got meaner and meaner as his term went on and alienated most of the non-hardcore folks who had voted him in. If he had run against anyone other than Kathleen Townsend (who ran the worst campaign in recorded history), he wouldn't have gotten elected. 

Martin O'Malley. He plays Irish music in a band. Let's just move on....

How's that bunch grab ya? Two busted on felony charges while in office. One so non-descript no one even remembers him anymore. Two who were so blatantly crooked that the sheer brazenness of it all seemed to be a badge of honor. One a Newt-inspired attack dog who chose a black dude (who is REALLY crazy) to run with so he could win and barely edged out a horrible D candidate. And Hogan.

Maryland is a fantastic state to get educated, work, and raise a family.  it's proximity to some of the world's most influential and significant cities can't be beat.  The populace is largely educated, infrastructure is awesome, medical care is among the best in the world, you have all four seasons and can be at a beach or kind of mountain within a 3 hour drive.

Taxes are high and it's not friendly to retirees.  I'll be keeping my Maryland pad and buying a place in Florida when retirement comes.  My kids love Maryland and will likely stay here plus I want ready access to Johns Hopkins when needed. 
Yeah, having lived a couple of other places, but growing up here and being here for most of my working life, it's a good spot. I'm not crazy enough to retire here though, too expensive for that.

Having spent significant time in the woods of NC when I was in the Army vs significant time in the woods as a boy scout in MD, the ticks in NC are WAY worse. I had maybe 1 tick growing up. In my 2.5 years at Fort Bragg, I must've had 25.

Really unfair to lump Sociology in with Interpretive Dance. For my BA I majored in Sociology and Psychology. Sociology was harder. It might've been harder than my MBA even.

Really unfair to lump Sociology in with Interpretive Dance. For my BA I majored in Sociology and Psychology. Sociology was harder. It might've been harder than my MBA even.

Nothing personal - that's just my opinion.  Psychology/Sociology are usually found on most Top 10 Useless Degrees lists along with Fine Arts, Communications, etc...  To be fair, though, it's really more of a ROI on that degree that I'm focused on.

If it makes you happy, that's fantastic, but if you can't pay the bills then that's what I consider a "useless" degree.  Again, all in my opinion.  

Of course, making college affordable would change my opinion on that.  :thumbup:

I'm not holding my breath, though.  The same grifters selling the college snake oil and jacking up tuition rates into the stratosphere so THEY can live large won't allow that to happen.  I'm not against college and higher learning at all - I went to college - but we need to stop telling people that somehow they are losers if they don't go to college.  The trades are just as honorable and can pay more than a lot of these "degrees" we push on kids.  And without the debt burden.

Nothing personal - that's just my opinion.  Psychology/Sociology are usually found on most Top 10 Useless Degrees lists along with Fine Arts, Communications, etc...  To be fair, though, it's really more of a ROI on that degree that I'm focused on.

If it makes you happy, that's fantastic, but if you can't pay the bills then that's what I consider a "useless" degree.  Again, all in my opinion.  

Of course, making college affordable would change my opinion on that.  :thumbup:

I'm not holding my breath, though.  The same grifters selling the college snake oil and jacking up tuition rates into the stratosphere so THEY can live large won't allow that to happen.  I'm not against college and higher learning at all - I went to college - but we need to stop telling people that somehow they are losers if they don't go to college.  The trades are just as honorable and can pay more than a lot of these "degrees" we push on kids.  And without the debt burden.
I joined the Army AFTER completing undergrad soooo,  yeah, not a great ROI. Eventually I got my MBA from U of MD which helped out a lot.

In terms of difficulty though, it's not underwater basket weaving. It's not rocket surgery either. Middle of the road, more math than you'd assume. In terms of usefulness, it's useful in understanding how things work in the world we live in. Same with psychology, but that's more how people work than society. I'd say both are useful areas to have a good understanding of.

More smug, elitest Maryland humor: When a few legislators from the three westernmost counties proposed secession and subsequent attachment to West Virginia, one local wag suggested that such a move would increase the average income levels and IQ of both states.

More smug, elitest Maryland humor: When a few legislators from the three westernmost counties proposed secession and subsequent attachment to West Virginia, one local wag suggested that such a move would increase the average income levels and IQ of both states.
That's probably accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread