What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are President Trump's Tax Returns Important? (2 Viewers)

What I meant was there is no requirement to release them to run for president. 

Yes if hes made to by Congress that's different and I dont like it one bit.  I think its political and petty and sets a bad precedent for others to request the tax returns of any political opponent or someone they dont like.  

100% against it and I hope the president wins
I actually see it a bit the opposite. Anyone running for office should have their taxes made public. Transparency is good and Trump has bucked what seem to be an unspoken understanding that Presidential candidates release their tax returns. I don't see anything wrong with  Congress forcing the issue. 

Yes if hes made to by Congress that's different and I dont like it one bit.  I think its political and petty and sets a bad precedent for others to request the tax returns of any political opponent or someone they dont like.  

The President does not have to do anything.

The order is to the IRS Commissioner. Do you think the commissioner should follow the law and provide the returns?
It seems like supermike is implying that Trump controls the IRS.

I actually see it a bit the opposite. Anyone running for office should have their taxes made public. Transparency is good and Trump has bucked what seem to be an unspoken understanding that Presidential candidates release their tax returns. I don't see anything wrong with  Congress forcing the issue. 
I do because I think its politically motivated and petty

I do because I think its politically motivated and petty
Do you think that laws can be avoided if one person decides that the law is politically motivated and/or petty?

Do you think that laws can be avoided if one person decides that the law is politically motivated and/or petty?
You guys are exhausting.  Let me try to explain...again.  I don't like it, even if it is legal..  for the reasons I have said.  If the law says he has to then he has to....doesnt mean I have to like it.  

Again, failing to see the end game with this one.  I understand some folks campaigned with this as part of their promises.  But what's the end game?  

Is the belief there will be something impeachable in them?

Is it just more fuel on the fire to try and convince america he isn't a good person?  

Do democrats believe they will change the minds of republicans?

What is the goal?
The best end game goal is to confirm the precedent that Presidents will release their taxes and won't be able to get away with just blowing it off.

The best end game goal is to confirm the precedent that Presidents will release their taxes and won't be able to get away with just blowing it off.
But if it isnt a law and he didnt do anything illegal that makes it ok to force the issue?  I dont like that one bit.  For the president or anyone else

I dont know.  I'm not a lawyer.  But I believe hes got lawyers working on that right now
The statute was quoted earlier in this thread (latest page seven).

Where in that statute is there a loophole amounting to "unless it's the president and he doesn't want to", in your opinion?

The statute was quoted earlier in this thread (latest page seven).

Where in that statute is there a loophole amounting to "unless it's the president and he doesn't want to", in your opinion?
Wow. You must not have read my post.

I dont know.  I'm not a lawyer. I believe the president has hired some lawyers to answer that question however.  

On what grounds should the President sue Congress to keep his tax returns secret?
I don’t think the law in question allows Congress to make Trump’s tax returns public. I think just the head (and ranking member?) of the House Ways and Means Committee would get to see them. (Or maybe the whole committee? I don’t remember, but I think the statute has been quoted in this thread.)

If the plan is to make them public, I think Trump may have a valid cause of action rooted in his personal right to privacy.

While I appreciate that, you dont need to be sure about me.  Easier if you just focus on yourself.  
My position is clear, I just don’t think yours flushed out. But it’s clearer now.

I just think it helps. You obviously support the IRS commissioner obeying the law. If Trump doesn’t get a court order then presumably the commissioner must provide the returns. I’d agree with that. He’s missed one deadline but he must respond by the 23rd or he’s breaking the law, and again you appear to oppose that. You and I would apparently agree on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My position is clear, I just don’t think yours flushed out.But it’s clearer now.

I just think it helps. You obviously support the IRS commissioner obeying the law. If Trump doesn’t get a court order then presumably the commissioner must provide the returns. I’d agree with that. He’s missed one deadline but he must respond by the 23rd or he’s breaking the law, and again you appear to oppose that. You and I would apparently agree on that.
I'm not sure what your point is.  But you put a lot of effort into it so I will just say kudos to you sir.  

But if it isnt a law and he didnt do anything illegal that makes it ok to force the issue?  I dont like that one bit.  For the president or anyone else
No one is saying that Trump should be forced to release his taxes to the public.

I don’t think the law in question allows Congress to make Trump’s tax returns public. I think just the head (and ranking member?) of the House Ways and Means Committee would get to see them. (Or maybe the whole committee? I don’t remember, but I think the statute has been quoted in this thread.)

If the plan is to make them public, I think Trump may have a valid cause of action rooted in his personal right to privacy.
Yes the law says it can be released to the committee in "closed session" unless the individual consents to having it released publicly. 

One argument I've seen floated by Trump folks is that the returns will inevitably leak, so releasing them to Congress is the same thing as releasing them to the public. Not a lawyer, but that argument seems highly dubious from a legal standpoint.

He works for us. He gave up that privacy when he began that bid. How would you react to your employee resisting a work audit if you were suspicious of their ties to another company?

No one likes a hall monitor but here you telling me what to do.  Again, i don't need your advice on how to post on a message board.  You dont have to like it.   
Yeah after slogging through dozens of your whiny posts I tried to offer some constructive criticism. Clearly that was pointless.

You make the occasional smart post, but it's not worth sifting through all the BS. Welcome to Ignoreland.

Yeah after slogging through dozens of your whiny posts I tried to offer some constructive criticism. Clearly that was pointless.

You make the occasional smart post, but it's not worth sifting through all the BS. Welcome to Ignoreland.
I think that's a good decision.   God speed

So this is an emotional position for you right now?
It's almost like my posts are written in ether or something.  

I don't like it.  I think its purely politically motivated, petty and sets a bed precedent.  I also said if the law requires disclosure then so be it.  But I'm interested to see if there can be a successful legal challenge.  

PLEASE....read my post before getting ready to respond.  Please.  

It's almost like my posts are written in ether or something.  

I don't like it.  I think its purely politically motivated, petty and sets a bed precedent.  I also said if the law requires disclosure then so be it.  But I'm interested to see if there can be a successful legal challenge.  

PLEASE....read my post before getting ready to respond.  Please.  
A simple yes would suffice.  :shrug:

Fortunately, our judicial system isn't based on the whims of individuals and their emotional state.  People say things couldn't possibly be worse in this country than they are right now.  I disagree.  A judicial system run based on emotion would be as close to ground zero as one could get.

The hypocrisy still remains.  You'd force an employee to an audit based on suspicion, but not the President which is actually your employee.  You wouldn't wait for their lawyers to find a way out, but you are willing to wait for the lawyers to see if they can find a way out for the President.  Not sure how you work all that out.  Has to be exhausting.  Good luck to you :thumbup:  

It’s odd to see someone talk about how they don’t like forcing Trump to show his tax return because it’s petty yet Trump is the king of pettiness. 

It’s odd to see someone talk about how they don’t like forcing Trump to show his tax return because it’s petty yet Trump is the king of pettiness. 
That argument never holds for me. 

Trump is obviously very petty.  But that doesnt make it ok for me

A simple yes would suffice.  :shrug:

Fortunately, our judicial system isn't based on the whims of individuals and their emotional state.  People say things couldn't possibly be worse in this country than they are right now.  I disagree.  A judicial system run based on emotion would be as close to ground zero as one could get.

The hypocrisy still remains.  You'd force an employee to an audit based on suspicion, but not the President which is actually your employee.  You wouldn't wait for their lawyers to find a way out, but you are willing to wait for the lawyers to see if they can find a way out for the President.  Not sure how you work all that out.  Has to be exhausting.  Good luck to you :thumbup:  
If you at it that simply then yes.  I don't 

My position is clear, I just don’t think yours flushed out. But it’s clearer now.

Prediction, Trump doesn't get a court order. The 23rd arrives and Trump’s taxes aren't turned over and nothing happens because nothing matters anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread