What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are President Trump's Tax Returns Important? (2 Viewers)

We didn't want his tax returns to get him out of office. We wanted him out of office because he wouldn't turn over his tax returns (plus a million other things he did or didn't do that made him unfit for office).

A Prez can do what they like and there is no issue after they are out of office. If they are in office they can't be investigated if their party holds leadership of the congressional committees.

Neat system!

For me the reason why Trump not releasing his tax records mattered was the fact that all presidential candidates do it and Trump made a big deal of Romney not releasing his right away (he eventually did).   You don't get to call someone out for something that you won't do.   Complete jerk move on the part of the ex-Pres but after more than five years of Trump's countless classless moves and transgressions it does seem like small potatoes now.
You mean like golfing?

It's weird how baffled you are that some people might actually be curious as to whether a past president -  who has reportedly already decided to seek the office again, and will presumably be the prohibitive favorite for his party - is a tax cheat or not.  
I care less about whether he cheated or committed a crime and more about whether the returns show income from certain sources that could have provided the appearance of a conflict of interest. To me it seems so obvious that a potential president's financial dealings and the ties/obligations created therein are a matter of public interest. 

I care less about whether he cheated or committed a crime and more about whether the returns show income from certain sources that could have provided the appearance of a conflict of interest. To me it seems so obvious that a potential president's financial dealings and the ties/obligations created therein are a matter of public interest. 
And the rebuttal you will get to this is that you won't get this information on his tax returns because there are people who think "tax returns" means ONLY the two pages on the 1040.  I saw this "argument" teased a year or two ago and it went away for a bit.  Now it's back :lol:  

I've never understood Trump supporters' willingness to downplay his possible emoluments violations. Those strike at the very heart of what we can expect of a president acting in the nation's best interest and shouldn't be remotely partisan.

I've never understood Trump supporters' willingness to downplay his possible emoluments violations. Those strike at the very heart of what we can expect of a president acting in the nation's best interest and shouldn't be remotely partisan.
I think once they were willing to cast aside admitted sexual assault as "locker room talk", they were willing to overlook just about anything.

In my jurisdiction copies of tax returns are required merely to get a divorce. I am genuinely unaware of an individual's privacy right to his or her taxes and there appears to me to be a rational basis for a disclosure requirement for any candidate (though I acknowledge such a requirement doesn't exist). I'll concede that I didn't wade into the waters of this issue back in 2015-2016 (I underestimated the voting populace's willingness to elect this guy and, therefore, didn't care so much about the issue). 

Users who are viewing this thread