What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, it was raps in 6, but it really shouldve been raps in 5. 

i still cant beieve game 1... i was so high/drunk last night i rewatched a lot of that game, and raps couldve/shouldve won by 20 on any other day. unreal, really.
I guess.  Bucks coulda easily won a few of those close games as well.  Raptors outscored the Bucks by SIX points over the entire series.

Too bad about the Bucks.  This was their year.  It's going to be tough for them to get better in the future and Antetokounmpo's supermax is coming.

I was playing around with their cap situation a bit.   My link Hope this works.

No way can they bring this team back.  

My guesses:

Middleton declines his option and signs for the max. Bucks will be "forced" to match Brogdon at a contract starting at something like $18,000,000 million.

With these moves they are already over the cap.  And this is where things get interesting.

George Hill has team option for $19,000,000.  That will be declined.  He's gone.

Nikola Mirotic?  He'll get offers over $10,000,000 and didn't even play last game.  He's gone.

Brook Lopez?  I'm not sure what his market is, but the Bucks don't have Bird rights on him.  I can see another team swooping in on a larger, short-term term.
Going to go back to being a very weak conference if Kawhi leaves.  If Middleton, Hill, and Mirotic leave like you predict, it would be interesting to see the Vegas odds on who takes the conference. 

Going to go back to being a very weak conference if Kawhi leaves.  If Middleton, Hill, and Mirotic leave like you predict, it would be interesting to see the Vegas odds on who takes the conference. 
ehh, i still think this is overblown. Sure, Kawhi is a huge chip to move. But take GS out of the equation, and i think the balance is close. where the discrepancy lies now is with the bottom teams. If Durrant goes to NY, should be end of inbalance talk

I predict Middleton re-resigns with the Bucks.  Sorry, my wording wasn’t clear.

You’re right, though, Eastern conference likely will get weaker.  And Zion and Ja are going to be on Western teams.

I predict Middleton re-resigns with the Bucks.  Sorry, my wording wasn’t clear.

You’re right, though, Eastern conference likely will get weaker.  And Zion and Ja are going to be on Western teams.
Will be very interesting.  Likely (obviously) comes down to free agency.... mainly KD. 

I can't see the Bucks sustaining that regular season record anymore, but if Kawhi leaves and Philly re-signs everyone, it could be a Philly/Bucks battle for the top spot.  Boston of course is the wild card and lots depends on who they may get.

Do have a feeling Davis is coming East so that is also a huge factor and could boost his landing spot into top 3 talk as well.

I’d be shocked if the Clippers don’t get two max guys. Lakers will get someone. If not a trade for Anthony Davis, likely someone like Kemba or Butler. 

Knicks are so bad I can’t see Durant going there.  Brooklyn maybe gets Kyrie and they will be better (assuming Kyrie doesn’t ruin chemistry). Not sure what to expect out of Indiana.  But it’s easy to see all top 4 in the East all being worse.

I’d be shocked if the Clippers don’t get two max guys. Lakers will get someone. If not a trade for Anthony Davis, likely someone like Kemba or Butler. 

Knicks are so bad I can’t see Durant going there.  Brooklyn maybe gets Kyrie and they will be better (assuming Kyrie doesn’t ruin chemistry). Not sure what to expect out of Indiana.  But it’s easy to see all top 4 in the East all being worse.
Yep very well could happen.  Though I don't see the Bucks or Sixers being SIGNIFICANTLY worse.  They'll still have Giannis and Emibiid and Ben at the very least.  If Brooklyn gets a max guy they could sneak up there I suppose.  I just don't see it with Indiana.  Boston's drop off shouldn't be that significant either.

Yep very well could happen.  Though I don't see the Bucks or Sixers being SIGNIFICANTLY worse.  They'll still have Giannis and Emibiid and Ben at the very least.  If Brooklyn gets a max guy they could sneak up there I suppose.  I just don't see it with Indiana.  Boston's drop off shouldn't be that significant either.
Sixers are the most interesting in the East after the Nets. I think Jimmy will bolt and then they’re kind of screwed.  Maybe they let Redick go so they can afford another max guy (no idea who) to go with Harris.  But then they have a crap bench.

If Jimmy re-signs, they have a good chance of bringing back the same core. They still would have to piece together a bench. It’s hard to see them better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sixers are the most interesting in the East after the Nets. I think Jimmy will bolt and then they’re kind of screwed.  Maybe they let Redick go so they can afford another max guy (no idea who) to go with Harris.  But then they have a crap bench.

If Jimmy re-signs, they have a good chance of bringing back the same team. They still would have to piece together a bench. It’s hard to see them better.
I mean, they won 52 games and got 3rd in the East without Jimmy or Harris on the team.  I don't think losing Jimmy crushes them or drops them below 3rd especially if Kawhi leaves.

ehh, i still think this is overblown. Sure, Kawhi is a huge chip to move. But take GS out of the equation, and i think the balance is close. where the discrepancy lies now is with the bottom teams. If Durrant goes to NY, should be end of inbalance talk
Maybe.  Still think the West gets loaded more next year with FA's and Rookies.

Sixers have somehow never come 2nd in the Eastern Conference in team history.  Let's go 2nd place!

Per the Action Network, 94% of money on the Warriors Game 1.  Raptors Currently favored by a point, despite the series price being Warriors -300.

Really wacky.

lol, that dude was at the Game 3 or 4 in the Philly series. had a front row seat, and was acting like a total Raptors fan whole game. Seems very similar to the old white haired guy at the Sixers games who was annoying in Toronto
He probably was acting that way because he is a raptors fan? Did you read the thread?

He probably was acting that way because he is a raptors fan? Did you read the thread?
not the whole thing, but appreciate the guy. love the devotion of some of these guys, and good to read he gets tickets for kids to get to games

Left me confused...

Starts off with this,

"As a brown turbaned guy with an accent he couldn’t get a job as an engineer, so he wound up working as a car salesman at dealership in a rough part of town."
Finishes with this,

In any other city (looking at you, MIL), a guy like Nav might stand out. But not in Toronto. We’re a place where immigration works. Multuculturalism works. Ask anyone who’s been to a Raps game and they’ll tell you it’s the most diverse place in the world.
So is Toronto the greatest place in the world where all these ethic groups are holding hands singing kumbaya or some crap hole with a "rough part of town" and so anti-immigrant that a guy from India can't get an engineering job?  

So Butler is between Lakers, Sixers, and Nets and prefers Lakers if they give him the max?  

And Tobias Harris also seems to need the 5-yr max to stay as well. 

If sixers lose one or both, they cannot really afford to pay someone else of their caliber, right?  So they need to max them or they will be way worse of now that they traded their assets. 

They really should have given up less for Harris or gone after Mirotic a little harder. 

Sixers absolutely need to keep Jimmy Buckets by any means necessary if they want to win anything in the next 3 years before Embiid falls apart. 

Left me confused...

Starts off with this,

Finishes with this,

So is Toronto the greatest place in the world where all these ethic groups are holding hands singing kumbaya or some crap hole with a "rough part of town" and so anti-immigrant that a guy from India can't get an engineering job?  
Toronto is a lot different now then it was in the eighties, that's kind of the point of the "when other countries are building walls, people of all different backgrounds are coming together here" part of the story. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
So Butler is between Lakers, Sixers, and Nets and prefers Lakers if they give him the max?  

And Tobias Harris also seems to need the 5-yr max to stay as well. 

If sixers lose one or both, they cannot really afford to pay someone else of their caliber, right?  So they need to max them or they will be way worse of now that they traded their assets. 

They really should have given up less for Harris or gone after Mirotic a little harder. 

Sixers absolutely need to keep Jimmy Buckets by any means necessary if they want to win anything in the next 3 years before Embiid falls apart. 
Regarding the bolded, I believe they could replace one of the two if one leaves if they renounce some free agents (Redick, Boban, Scott).

BassNBrew said:
Left me confused...

Starts off with this,

Finishes with this,

I took it to mean that the Toronto engineering community is super-racist, but that Canadians are gullible car-buyers, and are easy marks for a guy willing to shill them costly, meaningless upgrades. While the swipe at Milwaukee seems gratuitous, I think the OP is just acknowledging that Nav would have lived a boring life as an Engineer had he come here rather than emigrating to Toronto.

Regarding the bolded, I believe they could replace one of the two if one leaves if they renounce some free agents (Redick, Boban, Scott).
And have even less of a bench. So basically need to overpay and take advantage of the rules to keep your own guys. Which I assume was the thought process they had at the time as they realized that nobody was signing willingly. So pay them and suffer the consequences later. You either are all in or you’re not. 

Anyone want to do a Mock Draft again?

I set up a thread in the basketball forum.

Tagging those of you who participated last year although everyone is welcome:

@scoobus @thecatch @wikkidpissah @Long Ball Larry @nirad3 @Capella @flranger @Koya @modogg @Worm @Spartans Rule @JMon348 @TobiasFunke @SWC @Frostillicus @Charlie Harper @Chemical X 
down.

i think we're due for an all-time draft, too - been almost a decade. good ways to kill the early-summer fantasy doldrums

down.

i think we're due for an all-time draft, too - been almost a decade. good ways to kill the early-summer fantasy doldrums
I’ve been thinking about a NBA mock offseason.  Inspired by the Dunc’d On podcast. It would start after the draft and hopefully end early in July.  Certain posters would represent free agents and others would represent teams and we’d negotiate with one another on trades and free agent signings.  This would probably be too hard to pull off successfully though.

I like Toronto and that guy's story.  I like Vancouver and Quebec too.  But there's a reason Canada (and other northern countries) are more laid back, easier to govern, and have better health.  It's because nobody wants to be so ####### cold.  And I like Oslo and Stockholm also.  Lower population = less issues.  Simple as that.  Ask India, China, US, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Nigeria, etc.   More people = more problems.  Thus larger nations don't let everyone in the way those Countries do for a reason.  Canada won't keep anyone out.

I hope Toronto wins this thing.  But I think it's over in 4 games.

I like Toronto and that guy's story.  I like Vancouver and Quebec too.  But there's a reason Canada (and other northern countries) are more laid back, easier to govern, and have better health.  It's because nobody wants to be so ####### cold.  And I like Oslo and Stockholm also.  Lower population = less issues.  Simple as that.  Ask India, China, US, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Nigeria, etc.   More people = more problems.  Thus larger nations don't let everyone in the way those Countries do for a reason.  Canada won't keep anyone out.

I agree, Raptors in 4.

Seeing this Kawhi in these playoffs, really has me begging to know what happened in San Antonio to get it as bad as it did. no doubt Kawhi is giving his all these playoffs so it is intriguing to think what exactly his injury is/was, and what broke down so much to make him force a leave

Seeing this Kawhi in these playoffs, really has me begging to know what happened in San Antonio to get it as bad as it did. no doubt Kawhi is giving his all these playoffs so it is intriguing to think what exactly his injury is/was, and what broke down so much to make him force a leave
Too bad Sixers didn’t deal Fultz and Simmons for him. 

BassNBrew said:
Left me confused...

Starts off with this,

Finishes with this,

Not sure what's hard to figure out about that.  It's saying things there have advanced a lot in 30 years.

The cold thing is overblown.  Most of the country lives in the southern part (90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border). 

Over half the states in America have an area in them that is more North than the Southern part of Canada.  Including California.

Do you think Toronto weather is significantly different than New York, Boston, Detroit, many other major northeast American cities? Because :no:

Thus larger nations don't let everyone in the way those Countries do for a reason.  Canada won't keep anyone out.
I do like the idea that the solution to the world's problems is completely open immigration. I can kind of get behind it, even though it's nowhere near the case in Canada, which basically has the immigration policies everyone in the United States says they want. 

Not sure what's hard to figure out about that.  It's saying things there have advanced a lot in 30 years.

The cold thing is overblown.  Most of the country lives in the southern part (90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border). 

Over half the states in America have an area in them that is more North than the Southern part of Canada.  Including California.
The heck it is.  I've been to Michigan in the winter.

You can keep that dreck.  I'll take my handful of days of snow a year and a minimum temp of zero (F) here in south Missouri.  You start throwing negatives in front and weeks and weeks of standing snow and I'm out.  I don't even like the northern part of my own state in the winter and we are smack dab in the middle of it all.

Overblown, my rear.  You people are a notch below eskimos up there.

The heck it is.  I've been to Michigan in the winter.

You can keep that dreck.  I'll take my handful of days of snow a year and a minimum temp of zero (F) here in south Missouri.  You start throwing negatives in front and weeks and weeks of standing snow and I'm out.  I don't even like the northern part of my own state in the winter and we are smack dab in the middle of it all.

Overblown, my rear.  You people are a notch below eskimos up there.
Michigan is not in Canada.  Kinda the point.

My mind is completely, totally blown by this.  Seems like one could make a lot of money with this information.  My quick guess would have been two - Alaska and Maine.  Given a few minutes to think about it, I wouldn't have been shocked to hear that the total was 8-10 states.  I would have given VERY high odds against California being included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread