What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yuma AZ declares state of emergency as illegal immigrants run amok (1 Viewer)

Stole my thunder! 

Haven’t seen the remake. But the original is a classic. 
:lol:  I hadn’t seen that post. Nice. 

The remake is seriously great. You should watch when you get a chance. 

Russell Crowe and Christian Bale and a very underrated Ben Foster. 

Alternate headline:  "Yuma: A case study in why walls are ineffective"
What make you think the wall is ineffective?  The story says the government is being forced to release them.   That points to the problem being elsewhere and it may even support that walls work since they have to be caught before they can be released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both sides use them as pawns
so if you can recognize that Trump is using immigrants as pawns, doesn't it kind of ruin the entire emergency declaration/wall charade?  do you want to waste billions of dollars for something that could be 90% solved without spending one cent (and might even be a money maker with the employer fines)?

What make you think the wall is ineffective?  The story says the government is being forced to release them.   That points to the problem being elsewhere and it may even support that walls work since they have to be caught before they can be released.
There is no wall that could be built along 100's of miles of empty desert that would keep people who want to come in from doing it. What they do with them once they catch them is the issue here.

There is no wall that could be built along 100's of miles of empty desert that would keep people who want to come in from doing it. What they do with them once they catch them is the issue here.
there is truth in that BUT ... walls/barriers are deterrents that are coupled with overall security

next time you drive down the road, look at all the sound barriers built, the median barriers, all the privacy fencing of yards, the walls and barriers around the more expensive homes and neighborhoods,  the gated communities, the businesses that have gates and fencing ..... its not there to 100% stop, its there as an additional first line measure

so if you can recognize that Trump is using immigrants as pawns, doesn't it kind of ruin the entire emergency declaration/wall charade?  do you want to waste billions of dollars for something that could be 90% solved without spending one cent (and might even be a money maker with the employer fines)?
Trump isn’t part of the DC machine 

I know conservatives get angry whenever anyone suggests that they're racists or bigots, so I would like to hear the explanation for falsely characterizing screened migrants released by CBP as "illegal immigrants" who are "running amok" and pose an "imminent threat" that doesn't involve bigotry.

I admit that I can't see one, but maybe that's on me. Please, educate me.
Don't hold your breath here...

there is truth in that BUT ... walls/barriers are deterrents that are coupled with overall security

next time you drive down the road, look at all the sound barriers built, the median barriers, all the privacy fencing of yards, the walls and barriers around the more expensive homes and neighborhoods,  the gated communities, the businesses that have gates and fencing ..... its not there to 100% stop, its there as an additional first line measure
So you're saying maybe that, in addition to walls and fences, use things like scanners, x-ray?  Perhaps drones...and oh! maybe hire more immigration judges & lawyers to help with the growing backlog of asylum seekers.  While we're at it, think about more border patrol agents.

That kind of security?

Or we could build something like what Israel has.

Better topic: better movie original or remake of “3:10 to Yuma”.

I’d argue the remake is far better. One of the better Westerns and underrated movies of past decade.
I too like the remake better. I'd say Russel Crowe's gang was running amok too

:lol:   of course he isn't, as far as you've been told anyway

so Trump isn't using immigrants as pawns, is that your stance?
It absolutely is.

Donald just wants to protect the country . Make no mistake, he loves legal immigration, loves legal immigration. This should be a bipartisan effort 

I’ll spend the billions upon billions somewhere else.

I know conservatives get angry whenever anyone suggests that they're racists or bigots, so I would like to hear the explanation for falsely characterizing screened migrants released by CBP as "illegal immigrants" who are "running amok" and pose an "imminent threat" that doesn't involve bigotry.

I admit that I can't see one, but maybe that's on me. Please, educate me.
No responses to this despite plenty of posts since then from the OP and other Trump supporters.

At what point can we all drop the whole "don't call them bigots just because they voted for one" approach- which I have supported consistently- and accept what is apparently the truth, at least with respect to certain posters?  I'm asking for a non-bigoted explanation here because I don't see one, and apparently neither does anyone else.

You left out “roaming the streets looking to satisfy basic human needs,”
Isn't the President pushing for letting dangerous mobs of people to roam the streets of cities across America?

Sanctuary Cities must immediately ACT to take care of the Illegal Immigrants - and this includes Gang Members, Drug Dealers, Human Traffickers, and Criminals of all shapes, sizes and kinds.

No responses to this despite plenty of posts since then from the OP and other Trump supporters.

At what point can we all drop the whole "don't call them bigots just because they voted for one" approach- which I have supported consistently- and accept what is apparently the truth, at least with respect to certain posters?  I'm asking for a non-bigoted explanation here because I don't see one, and apparently neither does anyone else.
A response to what?  These rants where you take the actions or thoughts of a few and lay it over all Trump supporters or conservatives as some kind of proof of their intrinsic racism or bigotry has become incredibly common.  I assume you just need some kind of self-reassurance or space to vent.

You don't see a non-bigoted explanation because there isn't one.

It absolutely is.

Donald just wants to protect the country . Make no mistake, he loves legal immigration, loves legal immigration. This should be a bipartisan effort 
I believe Congress had a bipartisan agreement last year to deal with border security.  Trump nixed it

if he loves legal immigration, why does he refer to people who come here to claim asylum legally as illegal immigrants?  you're being manipulated and as is usually the case, the person being manipulated has no clue.  I just told you a way to curb the vast majority of illegal immigration and it'll cost us almost nothing, yet Trump hasn't suggested it once.  he wants a big expensive ineffective wall that he told us Mexico would pay for.  he knows he'll never get what he wants, but its great for him to use as a wedge issue and you've bit on his line

A response to what?  These rants where you take the actions or thoughts of a few and lay it over all Trump supporters or conservatives as some kind of proof of their intrinsic racism or bigotry has become incredibly common.  I assume you just need some kind of self-reassurance or space to vent.  There’s nothing to really respond to.
I gather you missed the part of my post where I said "at least with respect to certain posters."  That's OK, I miss stuff in posts too sometimes.

As for a response- personally I would want to respond if someone asked me to explain how something I said wasn't fraudulent bigoted fearmongering.  This poster apparently disagrees. And of course it's not just the OP that's guilty of fraudulent bigoted fearmongering here (assuming there's no other explanation, which I'm still open to).  The Washington Times, a prominent conservative news publication, would also be guilty of it. Same goes for Hannity, Michael Savage, etc. And of course the president frequently conflates illegal immigration and asylum seekers too.

Not to mention the fact that if a liberal news publication or posters did something like this I would rush to criticize it, more so than if a conservative publication/poster did it, because I wouldn't want it to reflect poorly on the left more broadly.  But that's just me. Ignoring fraudulent fear-mongering bigotry from your fellow posters and from conservative media in favor of wrongly accusing me of frequently doing something I try to be very careful not to do is also a choice!

I believe Congress had a bipartisan agreement last year to deal with border security.  Trump nixed it

if he loves legal immigration, why does he refer to people who come here to claim asylum legally as illegal immigrants?  you're being manipulated and as is usually the case, the person being manipulated has no clue.  I just told you a way to curb the vast majority of illegal immigration and it'll cost us almost nothing, yet Trump hasn't suggested it once.  he wants a big expensive ineffective wall that he told us Mexico would pay for.  he knows he'll never get what he wants, but its great for him to use as a wedge issue and you've bit on his line
Funny how they forget that, ain't it?

I gather you missed the part of my post where I said "at least with respect to certain posters."  That's OK, I miss stuff in posts too sometimes.

As for a response- personally I would want to respond if someone asked me to explain how something I said wasn't fraudulent bigoted fearmongering.  This poster apparently disagrees. And of course it's not just the OP that's guilty of fraudulent bigoted fearmongering here (assuming there's no other explanation, which I'm still open to).  The Washington Times, a prominent conservative news publication, would also be guilty of it. Same goes for Hannity, Michael Savage, etc. And of course the president frequently conflates illegal immigration and asylum seekers too.

Not to mention the fact that if a liberal news publication or posters did something like this I would rush to criticize it, more so than if a conservative publication/poster did it, because I wouldn't want it to reflect poorly on the left more broadly.  But that's just me. Ignoring fraudulent fear-mongering bigotry from your fellow posters and from conservative media in favor of wrongly accusing me of frequently doing something I try to be very careful not to do is also a choice!
:shrug:

Hopefully you get a response from the original poster.  I think that’s about the only fair request you’ve made.  The rest is just some kind of weird self-validation rant.

claim asylum legally as illegal immigrants?  you're being manipulated and as is usually the case, the person being manipulated has no clue
Talk about manipulation 

:shrug:

Hopefully you get a response from the original poster.  I think that’s about the only fair request you’ve made.  The rest is just some kind of weird self-validation rant.
I think you are confusing requests with demands here, but whatever. Also maybe next time read my whole post before you respond so you don't mischaracterize it?

The move was designed to draw the attention of the country to what locals said was an untenable situation and to beg for solutions from the federal government, which has been at a political stalemate over what to do.
I’ll post the article from the Yuma Sun when I can, this isn’t exactly it. They’re asking for money and the perplexing part is I really thought that the big budget battle we got through authorized funds just for exactly this situation?

Am I wrong about that? This sounds like DHS isn’t getting the federal funds to Yuma, no?

I take it the overlap of this situation with the firing of Nielsen is not coincidental. Reading through this it seems like DHS/CBP is mismanaging this.

I don't think he wants to protect the country from Norway.  Maybe he does though
I don't think he actually cares one iota.  He hires illegals to work in his business and if he can save a buck doing so, that is what he cares about.

He pretends he cares because he knows his base cares and is staunchly anti immigration (for people of color mainly).  And it is those people he needs to have a chance at winning again which, along with money and fame, are the only thing Donald Trump truly cares about. 

Mayor declares emergency over migrants

Nicholls hopes it brings federal response, resources

Noting that the city doesn’t have the resources to handle the “overwhelming” number of migrants being released into Yuma, Mayor Doug Nicholls declared an emergency Tuesday afternoon.

The majority of migrants are families seeking asylum in the United States after fleeing poverty and gang violence in Central America.

Nicholls signed a proclamation of emergency at 3:10 p.m., which he hopes will bring attention to the “dire urgency of the situation” and some kind of relief, possibly from the federal government in the form of a FEMA-type of response, along with federal funding and resources.

The proclamation notes that a “humanitarian crisis” is being caused by the “mass release of migrant families from federal detention into the City of Yuma without provisions of adequate food, water, shelter and medical care,” which could cause “injury, damage and suffering to persons and property” in the city, county or state.

The proclamation implements the City Emergency Operations Plan and notes that “emergency management measures are required to reduce the severity of the local emergency, receive available aid, and to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people and property” of Yuma.

The document indicates that the situation exceeds the city’s services, personnel, equipment and facilities and requires the “combined efforts, cooperation and resources” of the Yuma community, including local and national nonprofit agencies such as churches, the Red Cross, Catholic Community Services, The Salvation Army, Yuma Community Food Bank, Yuma County, the state of Arizona and the United States of America.

The emergency declaration provides “a way to express the dire urgency of the situation to the rest of the country who don’t live it day to day and are not experiencing people that are being released into their community,” Nicholls said.

The mayor noted that the migrants being housed in the shelter network run by local nonprofits has “far exceeded the capacity” even as families are being transported out of the community. He explained that the migrants, who are all families that have passed health and criminal checks, “are looking to go to their host families. They aren’t looking to stay in Yuma.”

The current system is set up to handle 150 people with a maximum capacity of 200. On Tuesday morning, Nicholls got a call telling him that the shelter had reached 200 people. Later the same day he received more calls from the Border Patrol officials telling him that another 220 people would be released.

“The numbers … are substantial and I don’t see that letting off soon. As a matter of fact, today I was informed they had over 950 people in detention and their facility tops out at 420 on real capacity,” Nicholls said.

He explained that the Yuma network is concerned about meeting the basic human needs of the migrants “when there’s no more capacity in our local nonprofits.”

With the proclamation, he is “looking to have the federal government step in to help resolve the situation in a couple ways, either through transportation options into other communities that actually provide relief to the numbers coming into Yuma or bringing in a FEMA-type response to our community so FEMA and the federal government in their response could address the situation.”

The solution is not in setting up more shelters, he said. “The issue is not just having a building, we could have lots of buildings. But the people or the resources to staff those buildings are just not there. The community of our size just doesn’t have enough resources to meet that demand in a continual flow of people.”

He said that in the last 19 days more than 1,300 migrants come through the shelter, “and I only see it increasing faster and faster. So putting up more shelters is not the answer. There needs to be a systematic change to the way the system is currently being operated. That’s really what needs to happen. Getting into the shelter business as a city or as a community isn’t going to solve the issue. It’s only going to make a bigger backlog.”

By hitting overcapacity, the city and its partners have entered “new territory” and need to figure out what to do until help arrives, he added. The city and the local nonprofits are mulling ways to provide resources for those who can’t be accommodated in the shelter system.

“To be honest, right now we don’t have those answers,” Nicholls said.

However, he explained that “new partners” and “regional resources from around the country” have entered the discussion with “transportation options” that might move migrants “more efficiently” to their ultimate destinations. In addition, a truckload of perishable and nonperishable items for the relief effort arrived in Yuma on Tuesday.

Nicholls noted that citizens are responding in two ways, either with empathy and wanting to help or by getting upset at the situation. For those who want to help, the city and nonprofits will release information on needed donated items, how they can help volunteers and what resources would help.

“Those who are upset at the situation, I agree,” Nicholls said. “But protesting at the shelter, causing bigger situations at the shelter, are not going to solve the problem. They will only make it look worse. So I fully encourage those that want to express that to do that but do that appropriately through our senators, representatives, the President, Department of Homeland Security, maybe even the governor and some of our state representatives to see what kind of pressure we can apply to the federal system in order to, one, get the voices heard for the people but also, two, get actual resources and solutions in place.”

The mayor stressed that the migrants are not dangerous. “At this point there’s no evident danger to anybody. Anyone who is being released is looking to leave town,” Nicholls said, adding that migrants are not being dropped at random locations.

Nevertheless, he noted that law enforcement, including the Yuma County Sheriff’s Office and Yuma Police Department, are looking at the public safety aspect.

STATE OFFICIALS RESPOND

Several state officials have responded to the migrant releases occurring in Yuma.

“We will review any declaration once we receive it,” said Patrick Ptak, spokesperson for Gov. Doug Ducey. “Ultimately, this humanitarian crisis is the result of Congress’ failure to act. It will only be solved by Congress actually doing something, and the governor has vocally urged Congress to quit playing politics and take action.” Ptak said the governor’s office was working to ensure proper coordination between ICE officials and groups providing temporary services to migrants.

“The federal government’s continued lack of border security, its inability to provide timely asylum processing, and the Border Patrol’s policy of releasing migrants into communities has created a humanitarian crisis in border cities,” Rep. Tim Dunn said.

“The Department of Justice should immediately provide judges to accurately determine who is deserving of asylum. The current message to the world is that if you illegally cross our border, you can stay. This is a message that Americans do not tolerate. The local nonprofit organizations are overburdened, and we need resources from the federal government to assist in this federally created crisis,” Dunn added.

“It’s unfortunate that this emergency declaration is necessary,” Rep. Joanne Osborne said. “The federal government has created a humanitarian crisis that has put both border communities and migrants in a terrible situation. I applaud the community in Yuma for doing everything they can to address this crisis, and I urge the federal government to secure the border and provide border communities with sufficient judges to handle the influx of asylum seekers.”

“A secure border and a functional asylum process means safety and security on both sides of the border,” Sen. Sine Kerr said. “Yuma has had a history of success in border management when Operation Streamline was fully funded. Given adequate federal resources, Yuma has proven that it knows what it takes to secure the border. I call on Congress to provide Yuma and other border communities with the adequate federal resources necessary to cope with this crisis. Border communities should not have to shoulder this burden alone, as it is a federal responsibility to effectively manage our immigration and asylum process.”

“Yuma has had a history of success in border management when Operation Streamline was fully funded. Given adequate federal resources, Yuma has proven that it knows what it takes to secure the border. I call on Congress to provide Yuma and other border communities with the adequate federal resources necessary to cope with this crisis. Border communities should not have to shoulder this burden alone, as it is a federal responsibility to effectively manage our immigration and asylum process.”
- @HellToupee, Trump is running this show. He's on his fourth DHS secretary, he's on his third or so CBP Director, he just canned the nominee, he's borrowed the acting CBPD to run DHS so now the DHS Sec. is acting and the CBP Director is an acting standing in for the acting. This whole ####show is being managed by Stephen Miller - who isn't DHS or CBP, and who had no experience in this area when he came to the WH. And yet he yanked the chain on a budget that Trump's negotiators had already agreed to, causing a 2 month delay in funding. It's just chaos.

- @HellToupee, Trump is running this show. He's on his fourth DHS secretary, he's on his third or CBB Director, he just canned the nominee, he's borowed the acting CBPD to run DHS so now the DHS Sec. is acting and the CBP Director is an acting standing in for the acting. This whole ####show is being managed by Stephen Miller - who isn't DHS or CBP, and who had no experience in this area when he came to the WH.
A well-oiled machine.

This is false as his administration has taken steps to limit legal immigration as well.
And expand legal immigration.  I like his ideas around changing the H1-B visa process.  I think it’s going to take time to get the implementation process right though.

The most ridiculous thing - Trump had Jeh Johnson, who agreed with him on the wall. Trump fired him. Then he had a Marine corps General, Kelly. Disciplined, respected - took him off of DHS to make him chief of staff, and then he fired him. Two more DHS secretaries later, and still no permanent COS, we're here.

- @HellToupee, Trump is running this show. He's on his fourth DHS secretary, he's on his third or so CBP Director, he just canned the nominee, he's borrowed the acting CBPD to run DHS so now the DHS Sec. is acting and the CBP Director is an acting standing in for the acting. This whole ####show is being managed by Stephen Miller - who isn't DHS or CBP, and who had no experience in this area when he came to the WH. And yet he yanked the chain on a budget that Trump's negotiators had already agreed to, causing a 2 month delay in funding. It's just chaos.
I don’t put this on Donald or Stephen Miller.Oh there is plenty of blame to go around in both parties . Make no mistakes about that. Plenty to go around 

Users who are viewing this thread