What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gun Paranoia (1 Viewer)

Do you own any guns and are you concerned about confiscation?

• I am a gun owner and I am not concerned.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • I am a gun owner and I am concerned my guns will be taken away.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I am a gun owner and don't really care one way or the other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not a gun owner and I am not concerned.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • I am not a gun owner and I am concerned other people's guns will be taken away.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I am not a gun owner and don't really care one way or the other.

Votes: 14 13.9%

• Total voters
KCitons said:
Nope. I'm not a Trump guy. Or a Hillary guy. Or a Sanders guy. 

My political opinions are all over the board. I don't fit one party or candidate. By the time the primary arrives, the Dems will have a couple hundred candidates to choose from. Maybe one of them will align with my opinions. 
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Unique is a good word

Me too.

Pro gun but Anti-NRA. Me too.
Pro Life and also recognize others have the right to choose for themselves.  Me too. Except the choice is made out of medical need. Not financial or to undue a mistake.
Pro Women's Right - but also think Divorce favors women too much already. Me too. Never thought about divorce.
Pro Racial Equality - Simple really....people are just people.  Every race has dangerous and mentally ill people. Me too. I also think laws should apply equally.
Anti - Voter Suppression - people should get to vote on who leads them, Electoral College should go the way of the rest of the racist policies from 200 years ago. Maybe. Everyone deserves to be represented. 
Anti - Space Force because it's dumb. I think this is important, only from a global competition standpoint.
Anti - Citizens United - because it places corporations above people. No opinion. 
Pro Universal healthcare - because this current unique system is totally broken.  You should lose your life's work for getting sick. Me too.
Pro environment - we only get on Earth, no need to ruin it for a few more pennies on the stock. Me too. 
Pro Union because it's literally the only way for people to get any kind of equal footing with corps. Me too. Always have been.
Pro Education - because well how is anyone against this actually? Me too. 

Basically people come before money.  

We don't. See your other post. 

Until this changes, it won't matter what you ban. People will still want to hurt other people.
You are correct but as long as there are large corporations that are preventing any kind of progression towards making improvements nothing will get done.  Organizations like the NRA are damaging to our country.  They are a money before people group.

You are correct but as long as there are large corporations that are preventing any kind of progression towards making improvements nothing will get done.  Organizations like the NRA are damaging to our country.  They are a money before people group.
I'm not an NRA supporter. I've made that clear numerous times. Haven't given them a dime in decades.

But, I don't see the NRA as being that much different from the tobacco companies or even some of the pharma companies. They are money before people. 

Absolutely.  The NRA is awful.  They are a corporate shill disguised as a family organization.  Pure evil.  

I'm not an NRA supporter. I've made that clear numerous times. Haven't given them a dime in decades.

But, I don't see the NRA as being that much different from the tobacco companies or even some of the pharma companies. They are money before people. 
Well, they don't sell anything for one.  They bill themselves as a fraternity.   More akin to the Church of Scientology than Bayer.  

Well, they don't sell anything for one.  They bill themselves as a fraternity.   More akin to the Church of Scientology than Bayer.  
Yeah. The cigarette companies sell death in a convenient package that fits in your pocket. And the pharma companies make the cures so expensive that you may not be able to live with it or without it.

Neat.

I wasn't implying that you were an NRA supporter, just saying that they are an organization that gets in the way of progress.

I wasn't implying that you were an NRA supporter, just saying that they are an organization that gets in the way of progress.
I won't disagree with this statement in general. But I would also point out that there are many cities and states that have laws to go against what the NRA wants. My city is an example of that. Buying a handgun requires both a background check and registration. That seems to be completely against what the NRA would want. Yet, it's still a requirement. So, I don't think they are standing in the way of local laws. 

I also think that they stood in the way of some things, but only over the past few decades. Prior to that they were responsible for the progression. In the next 10-20 years, I think they will be important to protect us from over reaching regulation. There are more people now then at any time in the history of our country that want to ban all firearms. For me, that's an extreme position. It will take extreme opposite position of the NRA to bring things back to the middle. 

I won't disagree with this statement in general. But I would also point out that there are many cities and states that have laws to go against what the NRA wants. My city is an example of that. Buying a handgun requires both a background check and registration. That seems to be completely against what the NRA would want. Yet, it's still a requirement. So, I don't think they are standing in the way of local laws. 

I also think that they stood in the way of some things, but only over the past few decades. Prior to that they were responsible for the progression. In the next 10-20 years, I think they will be important to protect us from over reaching regulation. There are more people now then at any time in the history of our country that want to ban all firearms. For me, that's an extreme position. It will take extreme opposite position of the NRA to bring things back to the middle. 
I agree with you, that's an extreme position but I think that's a very small percentage of the population.

why did you word it as gun paranoia ? 

par·a·noi·a

/ˌperəˈnoiə/

noun

a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.

why did you word it as gun paranoia ? 

par·a·noi·a

/ˌperəˈnoiə/

noun

a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
These two come to mind when I think of certain people who think their all of their guns are going to be taken away.  The one's who think there is going to be some massive government takeover.  The ones who have doomsday shelters.  It's not a large percentage of people but they are certainly paranoid.

Why do you think that? 

I think it's growing. Especially with each mass shooting. 
I think that because I really don't know any people that seriously think that way.  I'm sure you're right that it's growing.  It makes sense that there would be more every time there is terrible event like a mass shooting.  It gets to the point where even certain gun owners change their mind on having them.

:shrug:

And others would see it as an organization that protects civil liberties.

Seems like you are defining getting “in the way of progress” as simply not doing what you want.

:shrug:

And others would see it as an organization that protects civil liberties.

Seems like you are defining getting “in the way of progress” as simply not doing what you want.
I think that's what they use to be all about.  I think they do a little of that now but I don't think they have the people's best interests as a priority.  I think they are more for protecting corporations.  There are many NRA members that quit because of how they've changed.

I was thinking more along the lines of them getting in the way of research, like collecting data on shootings.  If that's not doing what I want, then sure.

These two come to mind when I think of certain people who think their all of their guns are going to be taken away.  The one's who think there is going to be some massive government takeover.  The ones who have doomsday shelters.  It's not a large percentage of people but they are certainly paranoid.
you can go to the gun / us shootings thread and read multiple people wanting to ban all guns, ban all semi-auto guns, and some want to abolish/rewrite the 2nd Amendment

they're very real - its not delusion of paranoia ... and these new laws that are banning what are supposed to be targeted AR15 type rifles are in effect targeting way more guns that that

very real 

you can go to the gun / us shootings thread and read multiple people wanting to ban all guns, ban all semi-auto guns, and some want to abolish/rewrite the 2nd Amendment

they're very real - its not delusion of paranoia ... and these new laws that are banning what are supposed to be targeted AR15 type rifles are in effect targeting way more guns that that

very real 
Do you remember not too long ago when everybody swore up and down that Obama was going to take away everybody's guns?

What eventually happened?

Do you remember not too long ago when everybody swore up and down that Obama was going to take away everybody's guns?

laid the foundation for the laws you're now seeing in some states ....  GOP and NRA fought hard against Obama, even his Executive order on gun control lacked any real substance didn't it ?

Obama had 8 years and did he do anything to solve the core problems of the violence in the USA?  i don't think he did ............ and these recent rules and laws aimed at law abiding people won't either, until the core problem is addressed, the violence will not stop.

its not paranoia to see the gun control zealots on the left and their true goals, that's reality

FYI I'm away for the next 4 days on a bass fishing tournament - I am not ignoring just not around. 

laid the foundation for the laws you're now seeing in some states ....  GOP and NRA fought hard against Obama, even his Executive order on gun control lacked any real substance didn't it ?
So Obama, in fact, did NOT take away everybody's guns.

very real 
I think I've only seen one member on here actually admit that he would like all guns banned.  Banning specific guns is something many are for or are considering.  I don't anyone who said they want to abolish the 2nd amendment but maybe there's one.  There is nothing wrong with revising the 2nd amendment and I am one that thinks it may be a good idea.

You think it's all very real, I think it's paranoia.  

Obama had 8 years and did he do anything to solve the core problems of the violence in the USA?  i don't think he did ............ and these recent rules and laws aimed at law abiding people won't either, until the core problem is addressed, the violence will not stop.

its not paranoia to see the gun control zealots on the left and their true goals, that's reality

FYI I'm away for the next 4 days on a bass fishing tournament - I am not ignoring just not around. 
Good luck!  Where are you fishing?

So Obama, in fact, did NOT take away everybody's guns.
What's your point? We've had more talk about banning from lawmakers in the last year, than we did during Obama's eight years. 

At a minimum we are looking at an assault weapons ban. And that will overreach in some cases. 

There was a ban and it didn't work out, doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying back then.  I like the fact that changes were made and when they didn't work they were able to change it back.  Now days it's seems no one is willing to make any changes at all, as if they will be set in stone.  We have amendments for a reason, they're meant to be changed as time goes by in order to adapt with the rest of us.  I think the 2nd amendment is in some serious need of revising.
Actually it was working. We saw drops in issues related to assault weapons.  The problem is with the grandfather clause for weapons and large capacity magazines.  It was always going to take time for the full effect to kick in and ten years wasnt enough to see the full effect.

100 years ago there was a ban. Are we saying that a ban today wouldn't be handled differently?

Regardless, I was just pointing out the we've had bans on other things as well. Then reversed it, because it didn't work. The number of assault weapons that have been sold since the end of the ban in 2004 is much higher than it was in 1994. Because people want to lump all semi automatic firearms into the ban, we could be talking about a very large number of guns. They, like alcohol, aren't going to go away. 
This is really disingenuous. When alcohol was banned, it was intended to be a permanent ban. They had to undo the ban because the problems it created (unregulated alcohol production and consumption) were worse than the problem it was intended to solve (drinkers are sinners). 

The end of the semi-automatic ban was written into the law that banned it. It was a temporary ban from the start, unless it was renewed.

It ended not because it didn't work, but because law makers just let it expire. 

This is really disingenuous. When alcohol was banned, it was intended to be a permanent ban. They had to undo the ban because the problems it created (unregulated alcohol production and consumption) were worse than the problem it was intended to solve (drinkers are sinners). 

The end of the semi-automatic ban was written into the law that banned it. It was a temporary ban from the start, unless it was renewed.

It ended not because it didn't work, but because law makers just let it expire. 

Actually it was working. We saw drops in issues related to assault weapons.  The problem is with the grandfather clause for weapons and large capacity magazines.  It was always going to take time for the full effect to kick in and ten years wasnt enough to see the full effect.
How long did prohibition last? Fourteen years? 

Do you think prohibition would be handled differently today than it was 100 years ago?

Not really. All one needs to do is observe other countries who have bans right now. 
Did those other countries have the number of guns we have in the U.S.? Ban guns, people here will find ways to circumvent the system to get what they want. The gun culture is different here than any other country. Who created the bump stock? An American. Who figured out how to 3d print a gun? An American company.

How long did prohibition last? Fourteen years? 

Do you think prohibition would be handled differently today than it was 100 years ago?
We aren't talking about alcohol here. The 2 things are different. Conflating them isn't a good argument.

I am a gun owner and I am not concerned that they will take my guns....I am concerned that they want to pass laws that make it illegal to own one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referencing the ban on alcohol.  I agree that the ban on assault weapons seemed to be effective.

I am a gun owner and I am not concerned that they will take my guns....I am concerned that they want to pass laws that make it illegal to own one.
Are you worried they will make it illegal to own all guns or just specific types?

Saw Ice-T in an interview a few weeks ago and he stated he guns are not the problem "People will always find ways to kill other people with or without guns...look at the people who strap bombs to themselves and blow everybody up"   How ironic. This was before the Easter massacre.

The endless whining by gun owners makes me care less and less about the 2nd amendment.   
This is not a good post.  No one in here is whining, most gun owners that I know, myself included, are very supportive of tighter regulations, background checks, etc and are certainly not whiners.  I don't even really know what you mean, now that I am typing this, honestly.

again,.....I'm not interested in your suggestion.

I didn't say ALL gun owners in my post.....So you lumped yourself into the group.

And I will repeat myself so I am clear...Gun owners who constantly whine about their guns being taken away make me care less and less about the 2nd amendment.  Fact.   Not a personal attack there buddy, just how I feel about the issue.  Is that OK?
Who does this?  

I think I've only seen one member on here actually admit that he would like all guns banned.  Banning specific guns is something many are for or are considering.  I don't anyone who said they want to abolish the 2nd amendment but maybe there's one.  There is nothing wrong with revising the 2nd amendment and I am one that thinks it may be a good idea.

You think it's all very real, I think it's paranoia.  
While its not a majority, there have been many more than one that are interested in banning all guns.

Users who are viewing this thread