What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Felons have votes? (1 Viewer)

Should they? Regardless of violent or not

• Yes

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 19 23.2%

• Total voters
Once a felon has been released from prison, of course they should get to vote again, assuming they are a legal American of course, but while you are in the big house doing time (or under house arrest)?  No freaking way. 

Not at all.  It’s a common mindset from common folk that murderers, thieves, child molesters, terrorists, drug kingpins, rapists, etc. lost their right to vote when they committed their crimes.  

When you can’t win on the message you apparently just need to find ways to increase your base of malleable minds.  
It's also "common mindset from common folk" that the people above aren't ones who would typically be given their rights back to vote as they are in prison for their lives in most cases.  I think it's pretty clear from this thread that the qualification has been made in a majority of the posts.  

Knowing this, would you be so kind as to unpack your initial "absolutely no" in your first post?  Is it unequivocal?  Example:  Guy decides to hack into his girlfriend's computer because she's spreading lies about him and she decides to sue.  He's convicted of a third degree felony.  Are you saying he should never get to vote again?

What’s the legal basis for voting rights withheld?  This is one of those side topics that surfaces a bit every big election, but I’m largely ignorant to the ins and outs aside from knowing that some states don’t allow felons to vote.  Voting obviously isn’t an all or nothing right, as evidenced by this topic existing.  Initial reaction would be “why would this be revoked after serving the remedy prescribed them according to law (their sentencing) to atone for whatever societal ill perpetrated?”  Even if violent, they can roam free after jail/prison, but stay away from the voting booth?
I think there are only four states that even have this position anymore and one of them has been told by the electorate to cut it out.  In Florida the law was created in the 1800s.

laws shall be made by the General Assembly, to exclude from office, and from suffrage, those who shall have been or may thereafter be convicted of bribery, perjury, forgery, or other high crime, or misdemeanor

Amused to Death said:
This is what I'd like @knowledge dropper to address. Felons who have been released from prison have most of their freedoms. I don't see the downside of restoring their right to vote. Well, other than keeping the Dems from voting.
This is only brought up by Dems wanting to increase their base. In my opinion it’s part of the deterrent.  

The Commish said:
Not at all.  It’s a common mindset from common folk that murderers, thieves, child molesters, terrorists, drug kingpins, rapists, etc. lost their right to vote when they committed their crimes.  

When you can’t win on the message you apparently just need to find ways to increase your base of malleable minds.  
It's also "common mindset from common folk" that the people above aren't ones who would typically be given their rights back to vote as they are in prison for their lives in most cases.  I think it's pretty clear from this thread that the qualification has been made in a majority of the posts.  

Knowing this, would you be so kind as to unpack your initial "absolutely no" in your first post?  Is it unequivocal?  Example:  Guy decides to hack into his girlfriend's computer because she's spreading lies about him and she decides to sue.  He's convicted of a third degree felony.  Are you saying he should never get to vote again?
bump for @knowledge dropper

Sorry for not responding to your strawman quickly enough overnight. I am still recovering from eye surgery Thursday.  Sounds like the make believe hacker made some bad life choices and even worse choices with his representation. I am fine with him not voting. 
Should probably look up what a strawman is before using the term, but I appreciate the response.  What I outlined is an actual example of what happens under Florida law :shrug:  

And I only bumped the question after you were already answering others in the thread...no need for the childish snark.

Users who are viewing this thread