What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you handle poor, lazy, unlucky people? (1 Viewer)

Attach them to a woman’s uterus so we can get rid of them and it’s still ok.

sorry, thread hopping, couldn’t resist.

Serious answer, I try to help when I can. The facility is closed, but I still help people when I can. And in August,  I will start work at a Mental illness/Homeless transition house where I will be resident manager.

I leave it to others to deal with the political aspect, I work with a person at a time

I assume each is a category.

Poor - Depends how you got there. Lazy, see below. Unlucky, see below.

Lazy - ZERO sympathy. I mean absolute ZERO. I won't help you. I don't give a rats ### about you.

Unlucky - I'd help any way I could and have done so. Been there myself.

If you are all 3, it's simply your fault because of 'lazy'.

Curious how people define lazy? I think we've had a shift in 2-3 generations from how our parents or grandparents defined lazy and how it's defined by the current generation. 

Expectations vs reality has shifted greatly. 

Lazy - ZERO sympathy. I mean absolute ZERO. I won't help you. I don't give a rats ### about you.

I understand thinking lazy. There are quite a few, but a lot of the people I had considered lazy, just have lost all hope. It's sad really

Make sure they get set up with free shelter, free food and free health care.  Especially the lazy ones. Then what the heak, give em all a guaranteed basic income too. Maybe Oprah will give them all a free car. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand thinking lazy. There are quite a few, but a lot of the people I had considered lazy, just have lost all hope. It's sad really
But you should be able to identify that. If you start out lazy, you are simply a worthless loser. If they have 'lost all hope' do to being unlucky and or poor, I don't consider them lazy so to speak because if you help them, they should relatively quickly become hopeful.

When I think lazy, I think of the clown on the scooter crossing the 4 lane highway and his scooter shuts down on him 1/2 across the lanes, then he gets off the seat, picks the scooter up (yes, physically picks it up) and carries it across to the other side. THAT is a lazy loser AND a true story, just wish I had a camera rolling.

Millions are born into poor families that were never taught a work ethic or value of education. It's a vicious cycle. 

Curious how people define lazy? I think we've had a shift in 2-3 generations from how our parents or grandparents defined lazy and how it's defined by the current generation. 

Expectations vs reality has shifted greatly. 
Has it shifted? We now have media that goes back 2-3 generations that provides valid comps.

Look at a novel such as Factotum written two generations ago looking back a further generation. That's lazy in any day and age.

Look at Raskolnikov. Dostoyevsky's portrayal of lazy still rings true.

Was the Bonus Army of 1932 lazy? To me, this rings of "Kids these Days" sentiment and ignores 100+ years of history.

Weird that when someone types the word "lazy" out you just don't take them for their word and instead jump to excuses/scenarios for being lazy. Like no one is ever lazy on purpose. 

But you should be able to identify that. If you start out lazy, you are simply a worthless loser. If they have 'lost all hope' do to being unlucky and or poor, I don't consider them lazy so to speak because if you help them, they should relatively quickly become hopeful.

When I think lazy, I think of the clown on the scooter crossing the 4 lane highway and his scooter shuts down on him 1/2 across the lanes, then he gets off the seat, picks the scooter up (yes, physically picks it up) and carries it across to the other side. THAT is a lazy loser AND a true story, just wish I had a camera rolling.
Like I said, there are "con artists" and "lazy" people on the street.

Sometimes I try to help them. I have helped a couple to get back on the right path.

Has it shifted? We now have media that goes back 2-3 generations that provides valid comps.

Look at a novel such as Factotum written two generations ago looking back a further generation. That's lazy in any day and age.

Look at Raskolnikov. Dostoyevsky's portrayal of lazy still rings true.

Was the Bonus Army of 1932 lazy? To me, this rings of "Kids these Days" sentiment and ignores 100+ years of history.
This is why I asked how we are defining lazy. 

Thinking of my high school and college days, just doing homework was much more difficult. I didn't have computers to accomplish my research. Are kids today lazy because they have access to more information than I did? Probably not, but should they have more free time to improve in other areas? Are they?

Handle them like adults.

The poor. Help with continuing education or trade skills. Help with government programs. Try to move them forward and not dependence.

Lazy. Truly lazy? Nothing. The "given up". That's tougher. Family intervention. Community help. A kick in the butt.

Unlucky. Depends? If they fall into the poor, see above. Besides that, nothing.

That's not lazy. Lazy would be to wait for a tow truck!

i'm old so it comes naturally now, but it shonuff seems to me that gaming has increased the number of what i call uh-uh-uh kids who give a deadeyed shrug to every life sitch. when i think of them AND the coming drone economy, i get pretty glad that i'm in my last decade on this impatient orb.

I don't think - in a wealthy society - it makes sense to throw out anyone. Even "lazy" people. As Joe said above, there are often extenuating circumstances. 

But lets say there is someone who just doesn't care, doesn't want to work, and just wants to lay around and watch TV all day. Even if you don't think there's a moral/ethical obligation to help those people, it seems better for the country as a whole that they have their basic needs met.

There are varying types based on my work in high school. Some are truly lazy. Many others have mental health issues or have given up due to repeated failure where their efforts haven't led to positive results. 

Make sure they get set up with free shelter, free food and free health care.  Especially the lazy ones. Then what the heak, give em all a guaranteed basic income too. Maybe Oprah will give them all a free car. 
That isn't a constructive attitude. 

Also just random factoid this is relevant here, about 13% of the students in public education are certified with a disability. Now there are certainly varying forms and severities but that number is large and those kids are at an absolute disadvantage. It does not include the kids who are just lower IQ (having a low IQ only qualifies for SE if it falls under 70). So we have another 13% of students who are more than 1 SD below normal with IQs between 70 and 85. Again, people can be successful and live wonderful lives with an IQ of 75 but the gap in abilities between an IQ of 75 and 95 is MASSIVE. 

I’m still trying to figure out how this is lazy.

Agree with above - "lazy" is incredibly complex. 

Very often, I've seen people casually throw out the word lazy when there's a ton more to the story. 
Lazy is also a very subjective idea.   Is working 40 hours a week the standard for not being lazy?  If so, I'm all for lazy because I want a 30 hour week and 3 months of vacation a year.

Get off the cross. We need the wood. 

concentration camps - i'm only half-kidding. 

i come to this virtually every time i consider a future world in my writing. fence off NDakota, half of it barracks. room & board, healthcare, coaxial, beer/weed/entertainment ration book, REO Speedwagon, Miami Sound Machine, Trick Daddy concerts weekly. break the rules, you go to the other half of NDak, which is naked & afraid.

the only teacher i valued gave the same speech first day of every year (this was 50 yrs ago, but indulge me) "Who wants to learn this? (show of hands) Naw, who really wants to learn this  (half show of hands). (to the non-raisers) All y'all OK with a C? Stay out of the way of those who want to learn, i'll give you a C and you dont have to do a damn thing. Mess with us, instant F. A quarter of the class took their C, another quarter came back to the fold and the other half were able to enjoy a productive learning experience in an urban public high school. jussayin'

Ilov80s said:
Also just random factoid this is relevant here, about 13% of the students in public education are certified with a disability. Now there are certainly varying forms and severities but that number is large and those kids are at an absolute disadvantage. It does not include the kids who are just lower IQ (having a low IQ only qualifies for SE if it falls under 70). So we have another 13% of students who are more than 1 SD below normal with IQs between 70 and 85. Again, people can be successful and live wonderful lives with an IQ of 75 but the gap in abilities between an IQ of 75 and 95 is MASSIVE. 
I would put that in the unlucky category. They can still be lazy though.

I would put that in the unlucky category. They can still be lazy though.
For sure. I’m just saying their ceiling is capped and I work with lots of HS kids with disabilities/low IQs who are very lazy in school and sometimes I don’t really blame them for it. If I spent 8 years trying at something and failing repeatedly, I would probably give up to. 

Users who are viewing this thread