Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rockaction

Remember When Ronda Rousey Had Over Half This Board Believing She Could Beat Up A Male Pro UFC Fighter?

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

... 2001... UFC wasn't a blip on the radar until then

Currently orbiting one of Jupiters moons, Teila Tuli's tooth weeps quietly.  

17 hours ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Good God. This thread started out on thin ice and now there's...this.  

You guys enjoy!

Yeah I can't nope outta here fast enough. 

3 hours ago, rockaction said:

Sorry. He's been president since its sale in 2001 to his connections, which many would consider its beginning. UFC wasn't a blip on the radar until then, and that's when a journalist friend might have covered them and their tournaments overseas. 

The tournaments took place in the early days of UFC, well before Zuffa purchased the UFC.  The last tournament the UFC ever ran was during UFC 23 which was back in 1998.   This was held in Japan.  Is this what you could be referring to?

14 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The tournaments took place in the early days of UFC, well before Zuffa purchased the UFC.  The last tournament the UFC ever ran was during UFC 23 which was back in 1998.   This was held in Japan.  Is this what you could be referring to?

Dubai, 2001 or 2002.

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Dubai, 2001 or 2002.

the first UFC event in Dubai was in 2010.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

the first UFC event in Dubai was in 2010.  

to be exact, no UFC event has ever been held in the city of Dubai.  The closest was in 2010(which is what you are referring to) which was held in Abu Dhabi, which is the capital of UAE.

Also there was no tournament at this event.  As I mentioned earlier the last UFC tournament was held in 1998.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Speaking of tournaments, when I was a kid I somehow got my hands on one of the early UFC events and it was the greatest thing ever. My friends and I wore that thing out. I am pretty sure Tank Abbott killed a guy, and by the final he could barely breathe.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

to be exact, no UFC event has ever been held in the city of Dubai.  The closest was in 2010(which is what you are referring to) which was held in Abu Dhabi, which is the capital of UAE.

Also there was no tournament at this event.  As I mentioned earlier the last UFC tournament was held in 1998.

No, I'm referring to a Dana White exhibition in the United Arab Emirates in around 2002-3. But okay, I'm sure they never went over there and only sanctioned events were held on American grounds and there were never fights over in Dubai.

I could be mistaken, but this was a dear friend who also freelanced for a major cultural publication. We hung out often. Perhaps I'm confused.

I doubt it. 

On 5/13/2019 at 11:47 PM, rockaction said:

Alright I lied, I couldn't stay away. Gender Critical Feminism is the term for it nowadays, right? The ones who aren't so happy about the T. That's a interesting subreddit to peruse. 

The athletic implications have always been fascinating to me. I am thinking eventually (like after we are all dead) trans women will just compete against one another exclusively. 

1 minute ago, Moe. said:

Alright I lied, I couldn't stay away. Gender Critical Feminism is the term for it nowadays, right? The ones who aren't so happy about the T. That's a interesting subreddit to peruse

The athletic implications have always been fascinating to me. I am thinking eventually (like after we are all dead) trans women will just compete against one another exclusively. 

Well that's condescending. It actually comes from very mainstream news -- it was reported on everywhere, as you can see -- and was introduced to me by my friend and his polyamorous live-in of ten years in CT. 

Wait, what? I'm just saying the Gender Critical Feminism subreddit makes for an interesting read. They didn't come up with the term or anything, and I have no clue how long that concept has been around but it doesn't surprise me that it goes way back. I am not being dismissive in the least, sorry. 

Just now, Moe. said:

Wait, what? I'm just saying the Gender Critical Feminism subreddit makes for an interesting read. They didn't come up with the term or anything, and I have no clue how long that concept has been around but it doesn't surprise me that it goes way back. I am not being dismissive in the least, sorry. 

Oh, my bad. Totally. I got called an "incel" supporter for starting this thread in a comment that was deleted upthread by McJose. He said something like "Did they shut down the incel subreddit and everyone came here?" I answered. The comments were deleted. It was around the eighth comment in. 

Sorry for being so quick.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Speaking of tournaments, when I was a kid I somehow got my hands on one of the early UFC events and it was the greatest thing ever. My friends and I wore that thing out. I am pretty sure Tank Abbott killed a guy, and by the final he could barely breathe.

I looked this up, it was UFC 6. Tank Abbott lost to Oleg Taktarov in the finals, his 3rd match of the day. It was in Casper, Wyoming. They are seriously lucky he didn't die. 

That event definitely had the look and feel of something that could have easily been fixed. 

Just now, Moe. said:

No worries, thought we could maybe steer this thing away from Zeno into a more interesting topic.

That's a good idea and one I should be fully behind. I haven't really read enough of Gender Critical Feminism to be schooled in its outlook. i learned about it probably back in 2013 or 2014 from the friend who lives in Middletown, CT. He usually sees radical feminist critiques of things way before I do. We don't keep in touch, really, which is too bad, but we've moved, gotten older, etc.

He first pointed it out to me with some readings back when. It was then I realized that this was going to be a problem that had many dimensions.

14 minutes ago, rockaction said:

No, I'm referring to a Dana White exhibition in the United Arab Emirates in around 2002-3. But okay, I'm sure they never went over there and only sanctioned events were held on American grounds and there were never fights over in Dubai.

Sanction events have been held all over the world.  US, Canada, UAE, England, Brazil, Czech Republic, Australia, China, Argentina, Russia just to name a few.

I can't speak to exhibitions.    I don't have that depth of knowledge.

Just now, Moe. said:

I looked this up, it was UFC 6. Tank Abbott lost to Oleg Taktarov in the finals, his 3rd match of the day. It was in Casper, Wyoming. They are seriously lucky he didn't die. 

That event definitely had the look and feel of something that could have easily been fixed. 

Like I said, I could have a faulty memory of what organization put on the event. I'm pretty sure it was Dana White in the Middle East. It could have been another MMA org., given that he told me this at least a decade and a half ago. I just always remember thinking Dana White and UFC but they've done such good work with memory and the Sixth Amendment and problems that I even doubt my own. I do know the anecdotes he told me (One of them was an anecdote of an Arabian prince telling my friend he "smelled Jew on him") and that at the time he was writing for major publications with his byline, which shall remain anonymous here. 

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

Sanction events have been held all over the world.  US, Canada, UAE, England, Brazil, Czech Republic, Australia, China, Argentina, Russia just to name a few.

I can't speak to exhibitions.    I don't have that depth of knowledge.

Again, faulty memory is possible. I'm not going to die on a hill that can't be verified. I probably shouldn't have even shot my mouth off, as it's only tangentially relevant to Rousey. I'm just going on what I remember. 

30 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Huh, well I did learn something in this thread.  I didn't realize Abu Dhabi was one of the seven emirates alongside Dubai.   I  (incorrectly) thought that Abu Dhabi was a subsection of Dubai which was a subsection of UAE.   

Good info here, thanks!

• Like 1

i guess you could say I'm backpedaling from this. I'm certainly human, but am being as forthright and honest as I can and trying to share some cool inside intel for the board. It just can't be verified, and he never published it, caving to the threats of dudes hanging around outside his apartment sort of menacingly. Just decided it wasn't worth it. 

2 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Huh, well I did learn something in this thread.  I didn't realize Abu Dhabi was one of the seven emirates alongside Dubai.   I  (incorrectly) thought that Abu Dhabi was a subsection of Dubai which was a subsection of UAE.   

Good info here, thanks!

Every sperm is sacred for a reason, Ahrn. 

7 minutes ago, Moe. said:

I remember watching the early UFC events on a black box cable box (the ones which would unscramble the stations).   They were crazy events.

Moe, if you are ever interested in the early days of the UFC (and MMA history in general), I can recommend an excellent book for you.  To call those days "the wide west" is an injustice to how nuts things were :)

https://www.amazon.com/Total-MMA-Inside-Ultimate-Fighting/dp/1550228463/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2/142-5959045-8516031

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

My cardio conditioning off the charts,  Run the bleachers, skip rope, run 400's, jumping jacks.

All the guys at the airport bar say you're a regular Bill Brasky.

3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

obviously, you aren't a golfer. 

Hmmmmm?

Pacifiers

The one and only Binky® brand pacifier- soothing and calming
babies for over 50 years!