What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 PGA Championship thread *** (1 Viewer)

Nice work by the marshalls and police with Tiger.  I'm no Tiger fan, but that was ridiculous.  New Yorkers.  What a bunch of ### hats.

belljr said:
TheIronSheik said:
For people who are in pools where you pick a bunch of players, let me ask you a question.

A group of friends have been doing this for majors the past 5 years and it's great.  It's a tiered system that makes you pick some far out names.  You pick 6 and get to throw out the worst score.  But the dilemma we have is what should a score be if someone misses the cut.  Currently, you get an 80 for each round not played.  And that's cool.  Puts pressure on picking guys to make the cut.  But a lot of times by end of the day Friday, we know who the winner of the pool is because they had one less guy miss the cut.  How do most pools handle the score for someone who misses the cut or WD/DQ? 
we base it on $$
For the Masters, @The General and I did one here just for S&Gs, and we did it by position rather than score.  So if 50 guys make the cut, everyone who misses the cut ties for 51st.

If you're scoring by strokes, then you could maybe assign MC guys 1 more than the last-place guy that made the cut? Or 1 more than the worst round each day on the weekend? (Although somebody blowing up with an 88 on Saturday could really hose you that way.)

For the Masters, @The General and I did one here just for S&Gs, and we did it by position rather than score.  So if 50 guys make the cut, everyone who misses the cut ties for 51st.

If you're scoring by strokes, then you could maybe assign MC guys 1 more than the last-place guy that made the cut? Or 1 more than the worst round each day on the weekend? (Although somebody blowing up with an 88 on Saturday could really hose you that way.)
Originally, we gave the MC people the worse score for the day.  But as you pointed out, there's always someone who throws up a 90 or something crazy.  So then we capped it at 80.  But even then it's a lot.  Of course the thought is if we make it too much less, then you don't get penalized for picking people who missed the cut.  I think if we had like 30 people in it, 80 is great.  But since it's just like 8 to 15 of us, the 80's really knock you out of contention if someone has fewer people miss the cut.  Again, that's good and deserving, but it sucks when the pool is decided on Friday night.

Koepka is just playing a different game than these other guys. The length makes it possible but he just casually puts his irons on the green in scoring position. And if he misses a putt it's a tap in left 

Sarcasm aside ...that was actually a huge birdie for Tiger and CBS to get to +2 and cut line currently at +3.

I don't know why Tiger had all those back surgeries when he could have just gone to see Tommy Fleetwood and had Tommy heal him.

I don't know why Tiger had all those back surgeries when he could have just gone to see Tommy Fleetwood and had Tommy heal him.
Must be hell being Fleetwoods caddie and telling him he can't walk out and retrieve his errant shot from the water hazard.

These Tiger groupies yelling in Koepka backswing need to be kicked...in the nads and off the course.

TheIronSheik said:
For people who are in pools where you pick a bunch of players, let me ask you a question.

A group of friends have been doing this for majors the past 5 years and it's great.  It's a tiered system that makes you pick some far out names.  You pick 6 and get to throw out the worst score.  But the dilemma we have is what should a score be if someone misses the cut.  Currently, you get an 80 for each round not played.  And that's cool.  Puts pressure on picking guys to make the cut.  But a lot of times by end of the day Friday, we know who the winner of the pool is because they had one less guy miss the cut.  How do most pools handle the score for someone who misses the cut or WD/DQ? 
We tier it and end up with 12 golfers with your top 4 scores counting.  You're eliminated if you don't have 4 make the cut but most people have 6-8 players into the weekend. We pick 1 from the better tiers and 2 from lesser tiers.

Group A is pick one of

Koepka, Woods, Johnson, Mcllroy.

Group E is pick two of

A Wise

B Grace

C Smith

C Hoffman

H Li

J Kokrak

J Vegas

K Mitchell

K Kisner

L Glover

M Fitzpatrick

R Bello

R Moore

S Piercy

Not a Tiger fan at all but it's painful watching his lack of confidence in the driver. His short game has been fairly solid today.

Need 4 guys currently at +3 or better to finish +4 or worse (and have nobody currently at +4 or worse get to +3 or better) to move the cut line to +4.

I think Tiger skipping that Wednesday practice round in lieu of rest was telling. Struggling out there.

Incredible that Koepka set the 36-hole Major scoring record on this course.  I think i heard the tournament record on the Black is 273 (-7 this week).

Does anybody happen to know if there has ever been a tour player with more major wins than non-major wins?  That's the part that I have a hard time wrapping my head around.  Koepka has one win that was not a major, if I'm not mistaken.  On pace to have 80% of his tour wins be either U.S. Opens or PGA Championships.    It's obviously awesome that he steps up his game in the majors.  Just sort of perplexing that he hasn't had more success on tour outside of them.  And, by success, I'm talking strictly victories (I know he's contended plenty, lots of top 10's, 25's, etc.).  Pretty remarkable.  There have been plenty of players who have won lots of tournaments, but never a major.  He's the opposite of that.  

Note:  I am definitely not conceding/assuming that Koepka wins this, but given his track record in these situations recently (last couple of years), it sure seems likely.  

Shaun Micheel, Orville Moody
Nice.  Forgot about Micheel.  Still, as incredible as his story is/was, I'm almost finding Koepka's more hard to believe.  Unless he's just really not that interested in winning other tournaments.  I say that in jest (I'm sure he'd love to win more).  But it's just hard to explain how somebody can be so dominant in US-based majors not named the Masters, yet only have one other win in his career.  Crazy, really.  

Nice.  Forgot about Micheel.  Still, as incredible as his story is/was, I'm almost finding Koepka's more hard to believe.  Unless he's just really not that interested in winning other tournaments.  I say that in jest (I'm sure he'd love to win more).  But it's just hard to explain how somebody can be so dominant in US-based majors not named the Masters, yet only have one other win in his career.  Crazy, really.  
I might be making this up in my head, and I'm too lazy to research...but I FEEL like we've read/heard stuff from him that made it clear he only cares about majors.  The link I posted above from Bleacher Report seems clear he doesn't REALLY love the game.  I think he wants to dominate majors and make billions, but I don't think he is passionate about golf in general which would naturally trickle down to not really caring about non-majors.

Daly is the guy that comes to mind to me, but his two Majors were over 4-5 years. 

Its unprecedented surely...and the anomaly is clearly his lack of tour wins, which will change no doubt. He’s been close lately.

I watched an interview with him from this week with the barstool sports guys where he talked about how, to him, winning a major was easier than a regular event. I think he said something like half the field has absolutely no shot to begin with and then most of the rest don't have the mental toughness to compete in majors so you only have to beat around 20 guys. Let me see if I can find it.

Comparisons to the immortal Tiger ‘00 year...not only 3 Majors but also 9 wins total...Koepka won’t sniff that. Although hes probably playing closer to that level than anyone since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread