What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 PGA Championship thread *** (3 Viewers)

I watched an interview with him from this week with the barstool sports guys where he talked about how, to him, winning a major was easier than a regular event. I think he said something like half the field has absolutely no shot to begin with and then most of the rest don't have the mental toughness to compete in majors so you only have to beat around 20 guys. Let me see if I can find it.
Yeah, I've heard/read that quote a few times this week.  Jack said something similar, implying that a big chunk of the field eliminates themselves by not being prepared mentally (or able to handle the grind mentally) for the majors.  

I watched an interview with him from this week with the barstool sports guys where he talked about how, to him, winning a major was easier than a regular event. I think he said something like half the field has absolutely no shot to begin with and then most of the rest don't have the mental toughness to compete in majors so you only have to beat around 20 guys. Let me see if I can find it.
Here it is

TheIronSheik said:
What's this mean?  :confused:
We pick 4 players each major. Total prize money won is how we rank. Tie breaker is done by  selecting final winning score. 

I banked on DeChambeau as my key with Koepka, DJ, Tiger.  I’m out

Not sure of the history, but Koepka can’t be thrilled about playing w Spieth...who will probably purposely slow down.

I found the starters intro very strange--every group that I saw at #1, he said, "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.  Welcome to the 101st PGA Championship ..."  How many times does he need to welcome the crowd?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least DJ has some cool shoes...which i can't find anywhere on the web.  He was supposed to wear the usuals.

We really need a rivalry where guys threaten to win almost every major.  DJ/Spieth never went anywhere...or Spieth/Rory...how about Tiger/Koepka for a year or two at least?  Koepka/Rory is probably the longterm answer.

We really need a rivalry where guys threaten to win almost every major.  DJ/Spieth never went anywhere...or Spieth/Rory...how about Tiger/Koepka for a year or two at least?  Koepka/Rory is probably the longterm answer.
I had to look it up but we are at the 5 year point since Rory's last major. 

What's the over/under on career majors for Koepka? He just turned 29 this month and this will be his 4th (all in the last 2 years). Maybe 7? Could he hit double-digits?

I really have no idea here. Obviously you have to have some run-good to win 4 majors in 2 years. But it's not like he's dropping 30-footers left and right like Spieth was a few years back. Will be very interesting to see.

What's the over/under on career majors for Koepka? He just turned 29 this month and this will be his 4th (all in the last 2 years). Maybe 7? Could he hit double-digits?

I really have no idea here. Obviously you have to have some run-good to win 4 majors in 2 years. But it's not like he's dropping 30-footers left and right like Spieth was a few years back. Will be very interesting to see.
He can win double digits.  

Unpopular taek:  until Koepka starts winning other tournaments, his majors run remains a bit of a question mark.  Five wins in two years is good, but not all-time great level stuff.  Could be a bit of a fluke they've ~all come in majors.

:lol: .    What?
A guy who wins 4 of 8 majors would typically be a lock for an all-time great career.  (And Koepka could certainly get there.)  But in this case it might be more of a fluke thing than all-time greatness.  Because he's only won five tournaments total.  So maybe it's just a random thing that four of them have been majors.

Woods won 6 of 12 majors from 2000-2002.  But he also won 19 times in total.

Jack won 4 of 10 from 1965-1967.  But he won 13 times total in those three years.

I'm just saying that five wins in two years is at odds with 4 majors in the last 8.  And something's gotta give -- either he starts winning more tournaments or the majors thing doesn't portend GOAT* level greatness over the rest of his career the way it would otherwise.

(*Non-Tiger/Jack division)

Not liking that Nike seems to have final say in what they wear. I always figured the player made the call. These hats coordinated across most of the Nike sponsored golfers are hideous and unbecoming a Major Championship. 🤮
agreed on those hats - butt ugly.  Even the shape sucks - they look like 70s trucker hats without the mesh backs.  

Who is this Harold Varner III?  Guy looks like that one single player who gets paired up with all the groups on Saturday morning at the course.  “Just happy to be outside, fellas!”

I’m rooting for him!

Unpopular taek:  until Koepka starts winning other tournaments, his majors run remains a bit of a question mark.  Five wins in two years is good, but not all-time great level stuff.  Could be a bit of a fluke they've ~all come in majors.
Would be pretty awesome if he only wins like 15 tournaments in his career and like 12 of them are majors.   

Who is this Harold Varner III?  Guy looks like that one single player who gets paired up with all the groups on Saturday morning at the course.  “Just happy to be outside, fellas!”

I’m rooting for him!
He’s mostly known for his Air Jordan show deal, but he’s solid.

Not liking that Nike seems to have final say in what they wear. I always figured the player made the call. These hats coordinated across most of the Nike sponsored golfers are hideous and unbecoming a Major Championship. 🤮
yeah, but they all get a free bowl of soup with each hat

Maybe Koepka uses other tournaments for experimentation and tuning. Who knows. But saying winning 4 majors is possibly "not great" is an awfulbad take.

This just seems weird being played in May. 

Are they going to now start calling the British the last shot for glory?

Maybe Koepka uses other tournaments for experimentation and tuning. Who knows. But saying winning 4 majors is possibly "not great" is an awfulbad take.
I'm not saying "4 majors isn't great."

I'm saying 4 majors absent other wins might not result in Koepka's career being as great as people are currently predicting.  To hear it now, he's a lock as the next Palmer, Player, Mickelson and I just don't think we know that.

I'm saying 4 majors absent other wins might not result in Koepka's career being as great as people are currently predicting.  To hear it now, he's a lock as the next Palmer, Player, Mickelson and I just don't think we know that.
When do you even hear anybody talk about non-major wins for tiger, Jack, etc? If anything it’s just a throw away line. Majors are all that matter. 

Ftr Gary Player has 24 wins total.   He's no where near the top in wins but he has 9 majors and the grand slam

When do you even hear anybody talk about non-major wins for tiger, Jack, etc? If anything it’s just a throw away line. Majors are all that matter. 
Tiger is on the verge of breaking the all-time wins record, which is a huge deal. That’s what truly separates him from everyone else in my mind and many others. He won at an incredible pace that’ll never be matched.

Not taking away anything from Koepka...I think he’ll start winning more.

If he rolls off wins in the John Deere classic and the like in the next 10 yes I doubt anyone if going to think better if him for it. At least anyone that knows golf

He's won on every tour he's played. Multiple wins on the Challenge Tour, won on the European Tour and in Japan. He's really only been a PGA tour player for around 4 years and missed a chunk of time last season after having wrist surgery. He still has 2 other PGA tour wins during his short time on it in addition to those majors. Guy is about to win a 4th major out of the last 8 he's played (and has a runner-up in in those eight major starts) and had the wrist surgery during that stretch. In an era with a bunch of great players he's clearly the best right now.

Users who are viewing this thread