What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (2 Viewers)

I don’t think market evaluations have anything to do with political POV. A thing is or it isn’t.

It’s actually 6th out of the last 7. This is the graph that I’m sure has been posted before.
I've posted this very link and a few others about a dozen times on these boards.  IF there is a response it will be "but joe hillbilly was saying the world was going to come to an end if trump got elected...derp derp derp"  Most of the time there is no response.  The problem seems to be listening to joe hillbilly (or at minimum allowing joe hillbilly to be a reference point of any sort in framing legit discussion).  

I've posted this very link and a few others about a dozen times on these boards.  IF there is a response it will be "but joe hillbilly was saying the world was going to come to an end if trump got elected...derp derp derp"  Most of the time there is no response.  The problem seems to be listening to joe hillbilly (or at minimum allowing joe hillbilly to be a reference point of any sort in framing legit discussion).  
That’s about turning the market performance into a political talking point which yeah deserves to be looked at and corrected.

However my view on it is that in general the market’s doing fine - overall. Bush Jr was the outlier because of 9/11/01 but the real problem for him was the crash that came later, and that was caused at least partly because of deregulation and a lack of oversight that took years without anyone noticing. Really I’m fine with my portfolio at a glance, my two main concerns are 1. Instability, and 2. Incompetence in regulation, either/both of which can cause major declines down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s about turning the market performance into a political talking point which yeah deserves to be looked at and corrected.

However my view on it is that in general the market’s doing fine - overall. Bush Jr was the outlier because of 9/11/01 but the real problem for him was the crash that came later, and that was caused at least partly because of deregulation and a lack of oversight that took years without anyone noticing. Really I’m fine with my portfolio at a glance, my two main concerns are 1. Instability, and 2. Incompetence in regulation, either/both of which can cause major declines down the road.
Don't disagree...day to day can be maddening for those who rely on stability.  I'm not messing with my investment money for another 15-20 years, so what happens today doesn't really concern me.  I share your concerns, primarily #2 and current day actions and their long term implications.  The standard the economy runs on these days is "confidence".  You don't have to look any further than 2008 to tell that.  The more unstable, the more room for panic the more room for losing confidence in the market.  If that confidence goes, businesses die and a lot of people lose a lot of money.

Honestly don't know.  But the fact that both candidates were for dumping the TPP should say something about the structure of that deal.
It doesn’t. The public, like Trump, had a paranoid fear of the deal (as they do for all major trade deals.) Hillary knew better, but shamelessly reversed herself in a transparent move that did not help her at all. Had Hillary won, I believe she would have reversed again and been for it. 

It doesn’t. The public, like Trump, had a paranoid fear of the deal (as they do for all major trade deals.) Hillary knew better, but shamelessly reversed herself in a transparent move that did not help her at all. Had Hillary won, I believe she would have reversed again and been for it. 
So.... in your world its possible that trump is really for it but is afraid to stand up to those against it?

No. Trump has been consistently against international trade agreements for 40 years. It’s one of his very few consistent viewpoints. 
He seems to love them. he's trying to do them with many different countries. 

Your bias is showing with this absurd defense you've thrown out there on Hillary's behalf. 

He seems to love them. he's trying to do them with many different countries. 

Your bias is showing with this absurd defense you've thrown out there on Hillary's behalf. 
Lol. First off, if you think I'm defending Hillary you are grossly mistaken. I was extremely upset Hillary came out against TPP, it was a shameless attempt at politics, I said so at the time. It infuriates me to this day. She came out against, didn't explain it, and then never campaigned in Wisconsin or Michigan during the last month!! Incredibly dumb, lazy, and arrogant. And she deserves to have lost the election.

Second, Trump is in love with anything with his name on it. But he is in favor of bilateral agreements, not multilateral. 

Lol. First off, if you think I'm defending Hillary you are grossly mistaken. I was extremely upset Hillary came out against TPP, it was a shameless attempt at politics, I said so at the time. It infuriates me to this day. She came out against, didn't explain it, and then never campaigned in Wisconsin or Michigan during the last month!! Incredibly dumb, lazy, and arrogant. And she deserves to have lost the election.

Second, Trump is in love with anything with his name on it. But he is in favor of bilateral agreements, not multilateral. 
Agreed....and international all the same, which you said before he didn't like.  He seems to like them very much.  If the bold is what you meant, then say that.  Don't be jon or tony

Bucky86 said:
Cute graph.  Misleading and wrong, but cute.

Also of interest from that same twitter thread - "S&P 500 earnings are up 30% same time frame (26.96 per share to 35.02 per share)".  I haven't vetted that claim, but if even close that's not bad at all.  Eventually the markets will reflect that if those earnings hold up for a while.

Ask me how my Apple stock is doing; you were quick to make fun about my purchases in the past.  I hang up and wait for your response .  Only up 29 percent for the year. 👍👍👍
Pretty sure you’ve already said on this board you sold that, right? And it kept dropping quite a bit after you bought it, as I said it would?

As I recall, you bought around 175, it dropped to 142, and then went up just over 200 and you sold, and I asked you if you would count that as a 30+ point gain or a 60 point gain.  I guess I have my answer. 

GoBirds said:
Someone needs to hold them accountable for their faux hysteria. 
I was concerned, myself, but not hysteric. I didn’t see a log of hysteria but there were strong negative reactions. I was also confident that Trump doesn’t know what he is doing so the economy and the markets would suffer. The timeline was wrong, granted, but the last year or so does provide evidence that the concerns may have been justified. With low rates and tax breaks and yet we end up where we are now, no wonder that recession predictions are on the rise.

You guys do realize this is normal in a bull market right?  It happened under Obama too.  

On 10/4/10 the S&P 500 was trading at 1137 and then 1 year later on 10/3/11 it closed at 1099.

On 6/29/15 the S&P 500 closed at 2057 and then 1 year later on 6/28/16 it closed at 2036.

Were you guys crying about the stock market then too?  I suspect not and this is purely your Trump hate.  

So predictable to see the usuals flood this thread when the market is down.  Thank goodness for the patriotic Republican party.
Seems like this needed to be bumped.  @Henry Ford

Wait....now "the market" is defined only by the S&P?  :lol:

Is anyone else noticing the definitions are getting narrower and narrower as the talking points are taken away?

How many times did the yield curve invert in those years? How was copper doing? How many farms were going bankrupt? How many people were 90 days late on a car payment?
How many countries had negative yielding interest rates in those years?

Look, I am fine with arguing on data as to whether or not a recession is coming but let's stop the OMG the market is exactly the same price it was a year ago with selective data.  It is disingenious at best.

Wait....now "the market" is defined only by the S&P?  :lol:

Is anyone else noticing the definitions are getting narrower and narrower as the talking points are taken away?
Talking points?  I have no idea what you are talking about but I am sure you think you are being clever.  Yes, the S&P 500 is the metric one should reference when talking about the stock market.

How many countries had negative yielding interest rates in those years?

Look, I am fine with arguing on data as to whether or not a recession is coming but let's stop the OMG the market is exactly the same price it was a year ago with selective data.  It is disingenious at best.
"Selective"? The Dow is down for benchmarks of five days, one month, six months, and one year.  What am I selecting?

Talking points?  I have no idea what you are talking about but I am sure you think you are being clever.  Yes, the S&P 500 is the metric one should reference when talking about the stock market.
There's a lot of discussion to be had, but if you're an investor the S&P 500 is the best metric you should be looking at, absolutely.  If you're looking into the health of the economy through the stock market, there's a lot to be gleaned from talking about the Dow.

What's crazy to me is that the Stock market just stopped growing immediately after Trump's Billionaire tax cuts started.  Just stopped it in it's tracks.  Hasn't really moved since. 

I believe it was last October that I stated on this board that indicators were showing recession risk as soon as eighteen months out.  The stock market is sitting where it was in January, 2018.  The Dow has gone up 1200 points or so from that level at times and down 3500 points or so from that level.  

What's crazy to me is that the Stock market just stopped growing immediately after Trump's Billionaire tax cuts started.  Just stopped it in it's tracks.  Hasn't really moved since. 
It's almost like the ultra wealthy got that way by hoarding money not blowing it.

The assertion was made above that the S&P has gone nowhere in the last 17 months.  That was a false statement - we've gained right about 4% since then.  Damn twitter hacks using purposefully misleading data piss me off - that crap gets parroted around as it looks good and reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread