What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (1 Viewer)

You guys are like a broken record, trying to re-argue the same false claims that have already been disproven every couple weeks. The Fed propped up Obama with 0% rates and printing money....everyone paying attention knows the can was kicked down the road during his time and nothing else. 

:deadhorse:

Lmfao.

Guess we’ll have a downward trend heading into the election then after this year.  So I don’t want to hear any talk of how bigly and booming the economy is.

Fair?
Thats only because Democrats might win...so any downward action is their fault.

You guys are like a broken record, trying to re-argue the same false claims that have already been disproven every couple weeks. The Fed propped up Obama with 0% rates and printing money....everyone paying attention knows the can was kicked down the road during his time and nothing else. 

:deadhorse:
I know right.  It’s not like we just avoided a depression or anything.  The Fed just wanted to prop the Kenyan Muslim up.

Same whining, different week. Get outside and get some air. 
Uh bro, you were the one whining about the Fed propping up the Kenyan Muslim, not me.  I was just trying to explain why the Fed kept the rates so low, well other than than to prop up the Kenyan Muslim I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't Noonan said:
Typical deflection from the left.  If I don't have a valid point bring up the race card.
I believe the “valid point” is that Obama inherited the second worst US economy in history and in an age of such globalization that the world’s economy would be massively more affected than even in 1929. (Side note: here is a mental exercise—imagine how DJT would handle that same scenario had he been elected in 2008.) No one would disagree that the economy was propped up by cheap money and huge bailouts. It did work, however. Maybe there could have been a better way to dig out from the mess in 2008, that’s debatable.

Trump, on the other hand, inherited a much more healthy economy (despite his claims otherwise) and proceeded to keep the ball rolling. It’s sctually cruising along fairly similarly as it was under Obama so Trump gets credit for that, but at the same time, one can ask whether tax cuts and continued low rates are wise, considering that the state of the economy is much different than 2008. Some of us, myself included, are concerned about long-term sustainability but Trump, in my opinion, cares mostly about the short term so I feel justified to be worried about his policies. I don’t see this as a “left” or “right” issue. We all want a strong, sustainable economy.

I believe the “valid point” is that Obama inherited the second worst US economy in history and in an age of such globalization that the workd’s economy would be massively more affected than even in 1929. (Side note: here is a mental exercise—imagine how DJT would handle that same scenario had he been elected in 2008.) No one eilldrbate that the economy was propped up by cheap money and huge bailouts. It did work, however. Now maybe there could have been a better way to dig out from the mess in 2008, that’s debatable.

Trump, on the other hand, inherited a much more healthy economy (despite his claims otherwise) and proceeded to keep the ball rolling. It’s sctually cruising along fairly similarly as it was under Obama so Trump gets credit for that, but at the same time, one can ask whether tax cuts and continued low rates are wise, considering that the state of the economy is much different than 2008. Some of us, myself included, are concerned about long-term sustainability but Trump, in my opinion, cares mostly about the short term so I feel justified to be worried about his policies. I don’t see this as a “left” or “right” issue. We all want a strong, sustainable economy.
This.  And the tax cuts for the rich acted much in the same way as the zero interest rates Obama's economy functioned under.  And just to remind everyone, the current 2.5% rate is still ridiculously low and in no way whatsoever a hindrance to economic growth.  No matter what the cult master in chief would lead you to believe.

Here's my prediction for the next 18 months.  The market will likely meander around it's current range, GDP will fall to 2.5% this year, the deficit will top $1T, and Trump will demand yet another tax cut for the rich and cry that dems and the Fed are working against him while proclaiming the last three years the greatest economic expansion since man first walked the earth.

And his supporters on this bored will parrot these talking points ad nauseam. 

This.  And the tax cuts for the rich acted much in the same way as the zero interest rates Obama's economy functioned under.  And just to remind everyone, the current 2.5% rate is still ridiculously low and in no way whatsoever a hindrance to economic growth.  No matter what the cult master in chief would lead you to believe.

Here's my prediction for the next 18 months.  The market will likely meander around it's current range, GDP will fall to 2.5% this year, the deficit will top $1T, and Trump will demand yet another tax cut for the rich and cry that dems and the Fed are working against him while proclaiming the last three years the greatest economic expansion since man first walked the earth.

And his supporters on this bored will parrot these talking points ad nauseam. 
It will unfortunately be under 2.5% probably.  Think of what 1.5 trillion could have done for the crumbling infrastructure in this country. 

FWIW 

Cramer: The US economy ‘could be on the verge of a significant slowdown

It's true that the fed rates were low under Obama propping the economy. Do people not realize that continues to be true under Trump?  Just last week there was concern that they'd drop the rates again :mellow:

And to be accurate on the "two year decline under Obama"  it was the second half of 16 and the first half of 17 that exceptions the dip. 

It's true that the fed rates were low under Obama propping the economy. Do people not realize that continues to be true under Trump? 
I distinctly remember emailing a bunch of friends when mortgage rates dipped into the 4s for the first time. I’m sure I said something like “these rates are historically low—time to refinance ASAP”. That was about a decade ago, and now you can still get rates in mid- to low 4s. I honestly don’t know how this has been sustained without inflation bubbling up. 

I distinctly remember emailing a bunch of friends when mortgage rates dipped into the 4s for the first time. I’m sure I said something like “these rates are historically low—time to refinance ASAP”. That was about a decade ago, and now you can still get rates in mid- to low 4s. I honestly don’t know how this has been sustained without inflation bubbling up. 
Because inflation has bubbled up but it is just another lie that it hasn't?   

Inflation was .8% in 2014, .7% in 2015, and 2.1% in 2016 and 2017. 

It's going up. If someone is telling you it isn't they are lying. That's part of the reason cutting rates would be stupid. 

Yep.  Add in GDP at 2.9% for 2018.  Obama is the only President to never get 1 year of 3% GDP growth on his 8 years of office.  Horrific.  Trump is killing him in the main measure of the economy.
Like most things Trump - the "wins" aren't really all that they seem to be.  In regards to the 3+% GDP.  He just changed the metric for which GDP is measured. (side note:  Apples to Apples - Obama got 3.8% GDP from 1st Qtr 2014 to 1st Qtr 2015...better than Trumps 3.1% from 4th Qtr 2017 to 4th Qtr 2018)

Spinning GDP

How the Republicans Moved the Goal Post on GDP

Trump and the GOP Promised Economic Growth Better than Obama's.  That's Not What Happened.

Like most things Trump - the "wins" aren't really all that they seem to be.  In regards to the 3+% GDP.  He just changed the metric for which GDP is measured. (side note:  Apples to Apples - Obama got 3.8% GDP from 1st Qtr 2014 to 1st Qtr 2015...better than Trumps 3.1% from 4th Qtr 2017 to 4th Qtr 2018)

Spinning GDP

How the Republicans Moved the Goal Post on GDP

Trump and the GOP Promised Economic Growth Better than Obama's.  That's Not What Happened.
Thanks.  Except I have not once claimed the 3.1% number for 2018 and have said 2.9%.  Fact remains Obama failed to get 3% once it his 8 years, a historic failure that has never happened before.  If Trump fails to get 3% once in his 8 years I will be equally disappointed in him.  

About half of all Americans have $0 invested in the stock market.  The stock market at all-times highs greatly favors high net worth individuals/investor class.  To me "wins" should be beneficial to ALL Americans. 
So we are responsible for people  that are careless enough to not invest, but have money for new cars,  smokes, eating out,homes, etc.  I have several friends who have 0 in the market and state that their house is their retirement.  To me everyone is responsible for their retirement if these people choose not to invest in stocks fine, but don’t come crying when the market is up$$$$$$$.

Gopher State said:
So we are responsible for people  that are careless enough to not invest, but have money for new cars,  smokes, eating out,homes, etc.  I have several friends who have 0 in the market and state that their house is their retirement.  To me everyone is responsible for their retirement if these people choose not to invest in stocks fine, but don’t come crying when the market is up$$$$$$$.
It sucks to know that so many on the Right have such disdain for our fellow countrymen (and women).  I take the view that everyone is my brother and sister and want the best for them.  Compassion is greater than judgement.  I want "wins" to be defined by beneficial to all not just a few.

Make no mistake - the stock market at all time highs benefits just a few.  Of investors, the top 10% wealthiest own more than 80% of the stock market.  Many of us might fall into that category.  I think we should feel blessed.  Hell, I'm sitting here at work talking up you fine people on a Fantasy Football Message Board. How great is that?  But I recognize that there are many less fortunate than me.  Many working harder for less.  Many who didn't benefit from being born to the right family at the right time with access to opportunity not afforded to everyone else.  I certainly am not going to sit on my high throne and think less of anyone when I have never walked one step in their shoes.   Far too often we attribute our success to our own talent, hard work, skill, determination, and emotional intelligence and minimize the role of luck.  And fail to recognize that there are many with just as much talent, hard work, skill, determination and emotional intelligence who for whatever reason haven't been as lucky.  Haven't been afforded the same lucky chances for opportunity as us.  "Wins" to me should be when all our American brothers and sisters participate equally.  That's all I'm saying.

Kind of like how the Packers beating the Vikings might be a big win for you.  But maybe not as meaningful to a Steelers fan.  And certainly not a win for the NFL at large nor Goodell specifically. 

It sucks to know that so many on the Right have such disdain for our fellow countrymen (and women).  I take the view that everyone is my brother and sister and want the best for them.  Compassion is greater than judgement.  I want "wins" to be defined by beneficial to all not just a few.

Make no mistake - the stock market at all time highs benefits just a few.  Of investors, the top 10% wealthiest own more than 80% of the stock market.  Many of us might fall into that category.  I think we should feel blessed.  Hell, I'm sitting here at work talking up you fine people on a Fantasy Football Message Board. How great is that?  But I recognize that there are many less fortunate than me.  Many working harder for less.  Many who didn't benefit from being born to the right family at the right time with access to opportunity not afforded to everyone else.  I certainly am not going to sit on my high throne and think less of anyone when I have never walked one step in their shoes.   Far too often we attribute our success to our own talent, hard work, skill, determination, and emotional intelligence and minimize the role of luck.  And fail to recognize that there are many with just as much talent, hard work, skill, determination and emotional intelligence who for whatever reason haven't been as lucky.  Haven't been afforded the same lucky chances for opportunity as us.  "Wins" to me should be when all our American brothers and sisters participate equally.  That's all I'm saying.

Kind of like how the Packers beating the Vikings might be a big win for you.  But maybe not as meaningful to a Steelers fan.  And certainly not a win for the NFL at large nor Goodell specifically. 
:hifive:

It’s right on the edge of collapse. 

My gold stocks are shooting up, wonder why?
We may be due for a pullback after such a strong run but collapse is too strong a word.  Happy to see you post in here when the market is at all time highs instead of after it has a few rough days.  Much better time now to be bearish than at the end of May when you predicted This is it!

We may be due for a pullback after such a strong run but collapse is too strong a word.  Happy to see you post in here when the market is at all time highs instead of after it has a few rough days.  Much better time now to be bearish than at the end of May when you predicted This is it!
No one knows when for sure. It might even go higher for awhile. I have no idea why it would though. If you are bullish can you give your reasons why?

So you are saying Trump is ahead of the curve in asking the Fed to cut rates? I thought you all were bashing him for that......may want to pick a side. 
Has a president prior to Trump ever begged for a rate cut?  And do you think a 2.5% Fed rate is sustainable long term and representative of a healthy economy?

And can you answer without saying that the Fed kept rates at zero following an almost worldwide recession?

Has a president prior to Trump ever begged for a rate cut?  And do you think a 2.5% Fed rate is sustainable long term and representative of a healthy economy?

And can you answer without saying that the Fed kept rates at zero following an almost worldwide recession?
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ubs-were-one-step-away-from-global-recession-all-major-banks-at-risk-to-ease-182748762.html

Per the article linked above the rate cut would save us from recession, good to see you guys are on board with Trump's rate cut now. 

A lot of folks believe 2.5% is the new 4%.  The world is just in a lower interest rate environment.  Heck, several countries such as Germany and Japan have negative rates.  Interesting times.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ubs-were-one-step-away-from-global-recession-all-major-banks-at-risk-to-ease-182748762.html

Per the article linked above the rate cut would save us from recession, good to see you guys are on board with Trump's rate cut now. 
Im on board with what will help keep us out of any recession.

That has never appeared what Trump was trying to do (he literally appears to just complain they did it for Obama but complained that they weren't doing it during a rising economy for him)...but if that is what is recommended to do it...then fine.

So you are saying Trump is ahead of the curve in asking the Fed to cut rates? I thought you all were bashing him for that......may want to pick a side. 
The flip side to that is: Trump's terrible economic policies are leading us into a global recession requiring a rate cut.  I thought you were all praising him for that...may want to pick a side.

The flip side to that is: Trump's terrible economic policies are leading us into a global recession requiring a rate cut.  I thought you were all praising him for that...may want to pick a side.
I'm on the side that addressing China needed to at least be attempted. Looks like he's preparing for the potential downside, what side are you on with China? You probably understand it alot better than most. 

I'm on the side that addressing China needed to at least be attempted. Looks like he's preparing for the potential downside, what side are you on with China? You probably understand it alot better than most. 
China should’ve been addressed long ago instead of kicking the can along

Users who are viewing this thread