What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are your TOP 5 ALBUMS released during your senior year in High School? (1 Viewer)

92-93, in terms of what I was listening to the most back then

• Rage Against The Machine - self-titled
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  • Tool - Undertow
  • Alice In Chains - Dirt
  • Nine Inch Nails - Broken EP
I feel like '92 and '94 had more iconic albums than '93 did.  

I was 1996/1997.  I think I was still listening to a lot of Nirvana back then. Years look kind of blah.  I greatly enjoy the top three, but don't feel strongly about the bottom two:

• Radiohead - "OK Computer"
  • Bob Dylan - "Time Out of Mind"
  • Wilco - "Being There"
  • The Fugees - "The Score"
  • Weezer - "Pinkerton"
Looking at top album lists, I don't think I've ever listened to Beck's "Odelay" -- maybe I"ll pop that one onto Spotify.

ETA: Hadn't realized how much of "Odelay" I've already heard without realizing it.  Yeah, put that one in over Pinkerton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine personally, probably all albums from earlier, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Who's Next, American Beauty, maybe Zep.  My contemporaries, probably Frampton Comes Alive, Rumors, maybe Steely Dan or Bowie. 

Oh man, what a wild ride that last year of high school was (1998):

Jay-Z - Vol 2: Hard Knock Life

Kid Rock - Devil Without A Cause

Godsmack - Godsmack

Outkast - Aquemini

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

Things weren't as disposable in the 80's. 

Albums like Pyromania, 1984, Appetite for Destruction, and Master of Puppets were played extensively for 5+ years.

1990-1991....I'm going with albums I listened to before I started college in the fall of '91, so that rules out Nirvana, AIC, Pear Jam and the rest of the grunge I didn't know about until I started college and a heavy weed smoking habit.  Also ruling out albums that came out before my senior year started in 1990, so as much as I liked Blue Sky Mining from Midnight Oil, it's out of my top 5 here.

1. REM - Out of Time:  Not my favorite of theirs by a longshot, but this was the soundtrack of my senior year.  
2. Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo habitual: I really liked this album even if it got overplayed.
3.  Hoodoo Gurus - Kinky:  Man, I had a big love affair with Australian bands, see next :bag:
4.  INXS - X:  I really liked this band.  I can't stomach the music now, but back then, I thought they were the shiznit. 
5.  Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge:  Yeah, I want to punch myself in the neck for this one too.  But I was quite the fan of VH even with Hagar.  

Went based off of albums released Sept 95 through june 96

These were my best albums 

Fugees - The Score

2Pac - All Eyes on Me

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little pill

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infite Sadness

83/84    I'm posting albums I listened to that were new during the 83/84 time frame of my senior year.  

Speaking in Tongues - Talking Heads

Synchronicity - The Police

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

Learning to Crawl - The Pretenders

Reckoning - REM  - This came out at the beginning of April in '84, and  I listened to it a lot my final two months of high school. My sister had turned me on to Murmur a year earlier.

I mean,  yeah I guess not.  Thread title is pretty ambiguous here.  Hard to get a read on what OP was asking, really.
Yeah, he edited the body of his thread now to be more specific so mine definitely don't make sense anymore.  It's all good.

85/86 (going with albums released between 9/85 and 6/86)

Rain Dogs - Tom Waits

Listen Like Thieves - INXS

This Is Big Audio Dynamite - Big Audio Dynamite

Asia - Asia

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Also

The Way it Is - Bruce Hornsby & the Range

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

Pack Up the Plantation: Live! - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

2007-2008, went with what I was playing the most at 18 years old.

Viva La Vida- Coldplay

Graduation- Kanye West

Carter III- Lil Wayne

Because of the Night-Kings of Leon

Guilty Pleasure:

Taylor Swift-Taylor Swift

91/92

So many great ones.

1. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest

2. Nevermind - Nirvana

3. Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

4. Dirt - Alice in Chains

5. Steady Diet of Nothing - Fugazi

Hmm...

School year releases:

UB40 - Labour of Love

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky 

Who's Greatest hits - Compilation Album - but I still played the cassette out, and eventually got the CD, and then eventually uploaded to my itunes

Legend - Bob Marley & the Wailers - another compilation that has survived the years.

Born in the USA - Springsteen

Purple Rain* - Prince - I got this, but it was many years later that I really appreciated it.

Honorable mentions:
Footloose Soundtrack

Amore - Hooters - did not get until I was in college - suitemate was from Philly

Sports - Huey Lewis and the News - played often then, did not age well

Synchronicity - Police - came out Summer before senior year

I limited my selections to albums released from July 1991 through June 1992.  As such, here is my list, in no particular order.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

The Dirt Road (Sawyer Brown)

Wayne's World (Soundtrack)

Totally Krossed Out (Kriss Kross)

Mack Daddy (Sir Mix-A-Lot)

1995-96 senior year:

1. Radiohead - The Bends...still one of my favorites, sometimes prefer it over OK Computer & Kid A (blasphemy!!!)

2. Poor Old Lu - A Picture of the Eight Wonder...probably my favorite Christian album of all time

4. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness...28 songs with 5 absolute masterpieces

3. Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire...not my favorite of theirs, but still a good album from one of my favorite bands

5. DC Talk - Jesus Freak...title track is fantastic with a couple of other good songs sprinkled in

Godsbrother said:
My top 5 from 1977 when I graduated high school:

Aja - Steely Dan
American Stars and Bars - Neil Young
Book of Dreams - Steve Miller Band
CSN - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Slowhand - Eric Clapton

In retrospect there are some that I appreciate more now than I did back then (e.g. Rumours- Fleetwood Mac, Animals-Pink Floyd, etc)
77 was a great year in multiple genres. In addition to all the rock stuff you mentioned,  one of the best years for punk/alternative.

illustration of that year in album covers:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/1977/releases/

Anyone else surprised that Bjork released an album in 1977?

El Floppo said:
what.. WHAT?

Slap it low.

Oooooh...that first syle council- listened to that a ton.

Also Hoodoo Gurus...forget the album name, maybe Like Wow, wipeout.

General Malaise said:
1990-1991....I'm going with albums I listened to before I started college in the fall of '91, so that rules out Nirvana, AIC, Pear Jam and the rest of the grunge I didn't know about until I started college and a heavy weed smoking habit.  Also ruling out albums that came out before my senior year started in 1990, so as much as I liked Blue Sky Mining from Midnight Oil, it's out of my top 5 here.

1. REM - Out of Time:  Not my favorite of theirs by a longshot, but this was the soundtrack of my senior year.  
2. Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo habitual: I really liked this album even if it got overplayed.
3.  Hoodoo Gurus - Kinky:  Man, I had a big love affair with Australian bands, see next :bag:
4.  INXS - X:  I really liked this band.  I can't stomach the music now, but back then, I thought they were the shiznit. 
5.  Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge:  Yeah, I want to punch myself in the neck for this one too.  But I was quite the fan of VH even with Hagar.  

:hifive:

my hs band did a couple covers of theirs. big fan

At the time, I was mostly listening to older stuff - mainly 60s and early 70s - but of the albums released at the time, these were the ones I most listened to:

1. Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood = I was digging his early work when this came out.
  2. Graceland - Paul Simon = My pop bought this and turned me on to it.
  3. True Stories - Talking Heads = I got into this after watching Stop Making Sense
  4. Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys = This was our cruising track.
  5. Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses = Wow. Just wow. I was really was blown away when this came out
Oh - bonus: 

• Control - Janet Jackson = This was my gf's fav. I heard it a whole lot.

falguy said:
My top 5 from 82/83

Built For Speed - Stray Cats
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
Pyromania - Def Leppard
Eliminator - ZZ Top

HM Headhunter - Krokus :headbang:
Close, but would have to go with David Bowie - Let's Dance.

So many to choose from 5 is impossible - Of the ones I remember being big that I listened and heard a lot in 75/76 released during school year:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - dropping acid and staying up all night to this was the thing. I feel like listening to it right now - timeless record for me.

Springsteen - Born to Run (I was big Bruce fan - not a lot of us in high school then - it became popular later in year)

Frampton Comes Alive - Duh - by summer graduation it was bigger then big - every band had a talk box. Do You Feel?

Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon, Landslide - I really liked this record and I had just seen their tour of it as summer of 75 ended. Girls loved this one.

Bowie - Station to Station - TVC, Stay was big, Golden Years-followed by Changes one greatest hits. 4 years of high school with Ziggy ends on a high note

Kiss - Alive - No bigger band in St Louis at the time - they were already heroes by this point. This just allowed them to go huge - Halloween 1975 Kiel Auditorium - biggest hyped show I've ever been to. Sat in 8th row - may have lost some hair from the flames that night. Wow.

Queen - Night at Opera - Heard it a ton and up to then I loved Queen. That album was a big WTF to me at the time. Saw the tour - all of a sudden everyone wanted to be there. 

If you have seen Dazed and Confused - that was it. Foghat/Kiss/Ted all that stuff

Others that I liked as I recall - and you would hear a ton of

ELO - Face the Music

Genesis - Trick of the Tail

Rush - 2112

Jeff Beck - Wired

Tommy Bolin - Private Eyes - Post Toastee/Shake the Devil(right as school year ended)

AC/DC - TNT

Ted Nugent - smoked a lot of weed to Stranglehold

The Who by Numbers - Squeezbox was really big at parties. Mama's got a squeezebox and daddy never sleeps at night.

Presence - I remember getting when it came out and girls hated it - missed all the vibe of the other Zep records. I liked it lot 

doowain said:
My only comment after reading this thread....I applaud all you dusty old farts for figuring out how to use the internet. 
Internet? Thought I was typing this on my Radio Shack TRS-80.

When I was graduating in 1988, it was either Licensed to Ill,  Joshua Tree or Kick on cassette or one of dozens of classic rock staples from the 70s (Led Zep, Sabbath, AC/DC, Bad Co, Steve Miller Band).  I don't think I could think of 5 that I owned that came out that year.   My current rankings of stuff from 1987 to 88:

U2 – The Joshua Tree

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Morissey - Viva Hate

REM - Document

The Cult - Electric

1982-1983

Rush- Signals

Night Ranger- Midnight Madness

ZZ Top- Eliminator

Def Leppard- Pyromania

Journey- Frontiers

91-92

Nirvana-Nevermind

Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger

Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power

Kyuss-Blues For the Red Sun

My Bloody Valentine-Loveless

Alice in Chains-Dirt

Smashing Pumpkins-Gish

falguy said:
My top 5 from 82/83

Built For Speed - Stray Cats
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
Pyromania - Def Leppard
Eliminator - ZZ Top

HM Headhunter - Krokus :headbang:
Close, but would have to go with David Bowie - Let's Dance.
Not a bad year.

New Order - Power, Corruption, & Lies

R.E.M. - Murmur

U2 - WAR

Violent Femmes

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

The The - Soul Mining

Big Country - The Crossing

The Fixx - Reach the Beach

The Waterboys ... personal favorite

The Plimsouls - Everywhere at Once

Users who are viewing this thread