What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (2 Viewers)

U2- Achtung Baby (1991) 

Zoo Station 

Even Better Than the Real Thing 

One 

Until the End of the World

Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

So Cruel

The Fly 

Mysterious Ways

Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World

Ultra Violet (Light My Way) 

Acrobat

Love Is Blindness 

Earlier in this thread we reviewed The Joshua Tree, which I had always assumed was this band’s signature album (and, as a casual fan, contains most of my favorite songs from them aside from some very early stuff.) But as it turns out, many critics and fans seem to like this one from 1991 better. Brian Eno returns as producer and there are some hits here, like “One” and “Mysterious Ways”. As I wrote I’m a casual fan which means I enjoy listening to the well known material. Hopefully some of their more serious fans can chime in here and offer some commentary.
I wore out 2 cds of this in 90s.

One was/is a major - major - inspiration to me.

Until the End of the World is prolly my fav non-hit of the album.

Love Is Blindness  is just so beautiful, that it may surpass UtEotW as my fav non-hit, but....

...Jack White's version is sooooo rockin', that it accidentally lowers my surface opinion of U2's - that is wrong of me, but.... :shrug:

Give the album a big 👍👍

Joshua Tree may be their signature album (and I love, love, love that album), but this album is right there as well.

Two of my all-time faves are from this one - Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World (including one of the best lyrics - "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle". Yes, I know it's not an original saying, but it sure sounds awesome in that song) and Ultra Violet (Light My Way), as well as one of the more underrated songs in Acrobat. 

Just a great album from top to bottom.

I will take Achtung Baby over The Joshua Tree without even thinking about it.  12 songs, all of them really good/great, and the flow and vibe makes for one heckuva journey.  One and Mysterious Ways are the ones the general public know the most, and both are very good, but the true gems are in the deep cuts like Ultraviolet, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness, which is an amazing 1-2-3 punch to the end the album, and of course I have to mention my personal favorite, Until the End of the World. 

This is a top 20 all-time record in my book. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Grateful Dead- Europe ‘72 (1973) 

Cumberland Blues

He’s Gone

One More Saturday Night 

Jack Straw

You Win Again 

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Brown-Eyed Woman 

Hurts Me Too

Ramble On Rose 

Sugar Magnolia

Mr. Charlie 

Tennessee Jed

Truckin’ 

Epilogue/Prelude 

Morning Dew 

IMO, even more than the famous Dead albums American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead, this is the quintessential Grateful Dead album, because their live performances are so key to appreciating them as a band. 

This is a wonderful album to listen to: the jams on “Truckin’”, “Sugar Magnolia” and “China Cat Sunflower” are magnificent. But it’s the new material that is even better: “Brown Eyed Woman” and “Ramble On Rose” are as good as the Dead ever got. 

"Morning Dew" from '72 is what finally sold me on the Dead. Wasn't a big fan, but when I heard that version, it just blew me away and I was hooked ever since.

I can't imagine how many novice guitar players broke strings trying to get in tune with Europe '72. Glad they finally corrected the pitch.

Odd they never bothered with studio versions of Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, Brown-Eyed Women and Ramble On Rose.

Steely Dan- Pretzel Logic (1974) 

Rikki Don’t Lose That Number 

Night By Night 

Any Major Dude Will Tell You

Barrytown 

East St. Louis Toodle-Oo 

Parker’s Band 

Through With Buzz

Pretzel Logic 

With a Gun 

Charlie Freak 

Monkey in Your Soul 

Earlier in this thread we reviewed Aja, which might be the most polished album on the entire list. This one is not nearly as heavily produced, but many fans like it even more, perhaps for that reason. It was their breakthrough record, the one that gave them star status. 

Pretzel Logic is a great pick, and indeed, the title track is really something else. Gonna go give this a spin now as I work.

The Kinks- Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt.1 (1970) 

The Contenders 

Strangers 

Denmark Street

Get Back in Line

Lola 

Top of the Pops

Moneygoround 

This Time Tomorrow

A Long Way From Home 

Rats 

Apeman 

Powerman 

Got to Be Free

After much pondering I have finally decided that this is the best Kinks album. The title tracks, “Apeman”, “Get Back In Line”, “A Long Way From Home”, all brilliant. 

As a longtime listener to this band I’ve always thought of it as mainly a vehicle for Ray Davies: his music, his vision. But in recent years I’ve come to appreciate that his brother Dave has played an almost equal role with his brilliant guitar riffs- Lola is a prime example of this. 

The Kinks- Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt.1 (1970)

After much pondering I have finally decided that this is the best Kinks album. has played an almost equal role with his brilliant guitar riffs- Lola is a prime example of this. 
The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society box set I just got on vinyl and CD is vehemently disagreeing in the record rack I have. 

I was just kidding. Wasn't even gently disagreeing. Have never listened to the LP with Lola all the way through.
I still contend that this band’s one weakness, as compared to their contemporaries (and there aren’t too many of these- the Kinks’ contemporaries are The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Who) is that they didn’t make incredible albums. I love Lola and Arthur and Village Green, but they simply can’t compare to any of the bands I just listed in terms of album quality. Song quality, yes; you could take the Kinks’ 50 best songs and put them up against these other bands and they’d at least be competitive- but the albums are uneven and have more filler than the other bands IMO. 

I still contend that this band’s one weakness, as compared to their contemporaries (and there aren’t too many of these- the Kinks’ contemporaries are The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Who) is that they didn’t make incredible albums. I love Lola and Arthur and Village Green, but they simply can’t compare to any of the bands I just listed in terms of album quality. Song quality, yes; you could take the Kinks’ 50 best songs and put them up against these other bands and they’d at least be competitive- but the albums are uneven and have more filler than the other bands IMO. 
I think you encapsulated it well. Ray was a brilliant and witty songwriter, but the one downside is that he sometimes tried too hard to show it at the expense of the underlying music. But that's just a small knock - still a great band with some great albums despite the occasional filler.

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society box set I just got on vinyl and CD is vehemently disagreeing in the record rack I have. 
Yeah, I'd put Village Green #1 too.  Lola is great, and has some good songs, but I skip by a bit too much.  Village Green is just amazing from top to bottom.

Lola probably below Something Else and Arthur.  Close call with Muswell Hillbillies and Face to Face.

I firmly believe this is just schtick for timmay, 120k posts at a tsunami rate , voracious reader and music junkie . Not buying it 
I have often wondered if tim was real given that they joke about keys at som:e:where, but I personally think tim is real and just a bit manic. He's human, all too human not to be. 

Users who are viewing this thread