Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Blazers sign Carmelo Anthony in attempt to make team actively worse

10 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Toronto fans give Kawhi a "One More Year" chant, Kyle Lowry corrects them and switches them to a "5 More Years" chant. Uncle Dennis holds up the 5 as well. 

"5MoreYears" and "Uncle Dennis" both now trending in Canada :lol: 

I can't think of an athlete whose on-court and off-court personalities get such a different reaction from me. I don't particularly care for Kyle Lowry the basketball player- he's like if James Harden learned to play defense at the Coach K School of Charge-Drawing.  Off the court he's one of my favorite players in the league. He's a great interview, seems like a nice guy with a good sense of humor, and his friendship with DeRozan was adorable.

Nets don't offer Rondae Hollis -Jefferson a qualifying offer.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

I think maybe the problem is that you're looking at bookmakers as objective entities whose goal is to present accurate odds at a given moment, rather than businesses trying to limit risk exposure as much as possible while still making the odds long enough to entice bets.

:goodposting:especially with future bets. biggest risk is for people over-reacting to the Lakers signing AD, so they cushion that. Sure it will change throughout summer before Joe Public comes in and makes any plays closer to the season

2 hours ago, Deamon said:

I wouldn't say it leaked, I'd say they were just the faves to get him.  Last year Philly had like the 2nd highest championship odds at one point simply because there was talk that Lebron would either go to Philly or LA.  Poor guy would have had another title if he chose differently.

crazy to think how LeBron/Lakers have bent over to get AD, when LeBron could have played with Embiid and not sacrificed an entire roster. just crazy the ego-centrism behind LeBron

3 minutes ago, modogg said:

crazy to think how LeBron/Lakers have bent over to get AD, when LeBron could have played with Embiid and not sacrificed an entire roster. just crazy the ego-centrism behind LeBron

Ya I'm sure he would have made the difference of a few points over Toronto at the least. I do dislike the guy but I think his decision was more based on quality of life/future of his empire/etc than purely basketball. No way he'd pick the Lakers if it was purely basketball. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Ya I'm sure he would have made the difference of a few points over Toronto at the least. I do dislike the guy but I think his decision was more based on quality of life/future of his empire/etc than purely basketball. No way he'd pick the Lakers if it was purely basketball. 

Not much LeBron could do.  Ervin was Magic and just closed the deal. 🤗

side note, but one thing the NBA does leaps and bounds over other sports is "pick swaps" :wub:. I f'n love the idea of a team having the ability to swap picks with another team. It is a ton of fun rooting for, and wish more teams would utilize it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jayrod said:

I will say, that I definitely prefer the presence of tim over the likes of modogg & tjnc.

:sadbanana:why all the hate?

by the way, who are we rooting for this year, Celtics, Bucks, Raps?

• Laughing 3

19 minutes ago, modogg said:

I don’t know how to explain this to you but living in LA is way better than Philadelphia and Embiid isn’t Davis. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, Capella said:

I don’t know how to explain this to you but living in LA is way better than Philadelphia and Embiid isn’t Davis. 

I was going to object to this, but I guess things are different if you're super-rich.

13 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Hot take: Davis and James don't win one together in LA.

AD's on a team with one of very few people gonna tell him what he gotta do and where he gotta be like a li'l #####. He ain't never took that, no saying he will.

• Like 1

Mike Conley is an interesting piece to teams that lose out on the big Free Agent crop(:cough:celtics:cough:):popcorn: 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, Capella said:

That Durant injury changed everything. Somebody from the ringer is already writing up 4500 words about it and how it compares to Rounders. 

False, false false.

It was compared to Beverly Hills 90210.

13 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Mike Conley is an interesting piece to teams that lose out on the big Free Agent crop(:cough:celtics:cough:):popcorn: 

Not sure why Boston would try to obtain another non-tier I player making $67 million over the next two years and what the Grizzles would want in return.

54 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

One playoff game? I hadn't considered that but I'm intrigued.

• Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

dont think we can afford him unless we lose Al and don't know why we would if we do

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Not sure why Boston would try to obtain another non-tier I player making $67 million over the next two years and what the Grizzles would want in return.

Because no one, sans Horford and Hayward, will sign with Boston. Trading might be the only way and Conley would actually be a solid fit in their system. :shrug: 

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

dont think we can afford him unless we lose Al and don't know why we would if we do

The $ match would be challenging 

32 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Shams’s article this morning says Utah is still the front runner for him. 

1 minute ago, Kraft... said:

in the FFA mock  i had to give up Dancing Bear just to trade the 1.20 to bring Kris Dunn home to New England - which is how i think we should deal w Kyrie leaving - and even then we had to gentleman's agreement it to 7/1 to achieve total cappage, so i dunno how we're taking on a 30+ contract

1 minute ago, Kraft... said:

Because no one, sans Horford and Hayward, will sign with Boston. Trading might be the only way and Conley would actually be a solid fit in their system. :shrug: 

If Horford opts in and they trade for Conley, they would be spending almost $100 million on those two and Gordon Hayward. Talk about a colossal amount of wasted money on guys that would be 33, 32, and almost 30 and averaged 46.7 points per game last year combined. Boston would be better suited just going young and developing their younger players instead of giving starter minutes to older guys. The team they have might do o.k. in the regular season, but they wouldn't do much in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

If Horford opts in and they trade for Conley, they would be spending almost $100 million on those two and Gordon Hayward. Talk about a colossal amount of wasted money on guys that would be 33, 32, and almost 30 and averaged 46.7 points per game last year combined. Boston would be better suited just going young and developing their younger players instead of giving starter minutes to older guys. The team they have might do o.k. in the regular season, but they wouldn't do much in the playoffs.

The only hope to ascend now seems to be big leaps from Brown and Tatum :kicksrock:  I hope it happens

Still dealing with the trade hangover, the Lakers, beyond just the chance that they'll be giving away lottery picks, have also made it really, really tough for themselves to find even rotation quality players through the draft for a while. That's a tough way to keep a roster viable. You have to absolutely nail your low money free agent acquisitions - last season wasn't exactly a confidence builder in that regard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Capella said:

i'll give you living in LA might be nicer with the weather (enjoy the traffic and San Andreas fault line though). and here is Embiid vs Davis:

Joel vs AD since 17-18 season
Embiid 24pts 16rbs-Davis 14pts 8rbs
Sixers win*
Embiid 31pts 19rbs-Davis 12pts 16rbs
Sixers win*

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Leading a team to a title is tough when you're a graybeard.

And if the Lakers do win a title, I'm inb4 the inevitable:

- LeBron needed help

And the classic Kobe-hater quip:

- LeBron rides the coattails of big men

Lakers paid a high price fo AD.   But people not factoring in if things go sour in 2-3 years you can trade AD for a boatload too.

2 hours ago, Capella said:

You're right. Embiid is better.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Kraft... said:

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

in the FFA mock  i had to give up Dancing Bear just to trade the 1.20 to bring Kris Dunn home to New England - which is how i think we should deal w Kyrie leaving - and even then we had to gentleman's agreement it to 7/1 to achieve total cappage, so i dunno how we're taking on a 30+ contract

What about Conley for Hayward with the Grizzlies getting their pick back? Money matches.

6 minutes ago, Insein said:

And Towns is better than both!  :wolf:

53 minutes ago, modogg said:

i'll give you living in LA might be nicer with the weather (enjoy the traffic and San Andreas fault line though). and here is Embiid vs Davis:

Joel vs AD since 17-18 season
Embiid 24pts 16rbs-Davis 14pts 8rbs
Sixers win*
Embiid 31pts 19rbs-Davis 12pts 16rbs
Sixers win*

lol why would I care how Embiid has performed individually against Davis?

A lot of dirt being thrown on Boston already.

Assuming Kyrie leaves, there are a host of options available.  Really the only player they are "stuck" with is Hayward who will now be a full year removed from his injury.  Speculation is that Horford opts out and signs 3 year deal with them.  They have 3 1st rounders in the back half this year and some pieces available for trade, up to Rozier, Smart or even Brown.

With a core of Hayward, Tatum, & Horford, they can fill in the rest and form a very good team without getting a superstar.  Lots of secondary, non-max players that would be good fits and make them a very, very tough out under Stevens.  I don't think they can win a championship without another stud, but all of Milwaukee, Toronto & Philly have work to do as well this off-season. 

I read an article in The Athletic over the weekend about the Sixers going after Brogdon as an alternative to running it back with Harris and/or Butler. I've seen Brogdon mentioned as a possible Lakers target as well. The article speculated that the Sixers could get him with something like 80 million over four years - he's going to get way more than that, right? I think he'd be perfect with LeBron and Davis, and if it's only going to take 20/year that seems possible, but I was surprised the number wasn't much higher. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Moe. said:

I read an article in The Athletic over the weekend about the Sixers going after Brogdon as an alternative to running it back with Harris and/or Butler. I've seen Brogdon mentioned as a possible Lakers target as well. The article speculated that the Sixers could get him with something like 80 million over four years - he's going to get way more than that, right? I think he'd be perfect with LeBron and Davis, and if it's only going to take 20/year that seems possible, but I was surprised the number wasn't much higher. 

I don't know that he could even be offered much more than that based on his experience level.  I doubt that he's really worth much more than that either.

edit: I guess he could get a max starting salary of $27.25 per year, so yeah, a pretty good amount higher than 4/80.  I guess with all the money out there, someone could do it, but I don't see the value.

Edited by Long Ball Larry

1 hour ago, bananafish said:

One playoff game? I hadn't considered that but I'm intrigued.

No, one game period. 0-82.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Bangos are trying to attach a draft pick to Ilyasova or Snell to keep the (good parts of) the band together.

37 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What about Conley for Hayward with the Grizzlies getting their pick back? Money matches.

i havent seen a hint of Boston mgmt considering Hayward a liability yet, esp since Traitor Danny watched Kyrie treat Gordo like Dennis Johnson used to treat Ainge (DJ wouldnt pass him the ball directly. Danny would run around like an ijjitt and DJ might hand it to him if he ran right behind him but would usually pass it to Bird to find Danny if he worked his way open). Combine that with the Stevens/Hayward allegiance that made him being a Celt possible in the first place and i don't see him not being on the Green this year upcoming.

3 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i havent seen a hint of Boston mgmt considering Hayward a liability yet

My link.

• Like 2

That ad the Warriors took out congratulating the Raptors made no mention of a special parade bus for Kevin Durant's tattered Achilles tendon or Drake hitting on 17 year-olds, which is how you know that I had no part in writing it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

Still dealing with the trade hangover, the Lakers, beyond just the chance that they'll be giving away lottery picks, have also made it really, really tough for themselves to find even rotation quality players through the draft for a while. That's a tough way to keep a roster viable. You have to absolutely nail your low money free agent acquisitions - last season wasn't exactly a confidence builder in that regard.

this summer will be really intriguing for you guys. When does Kuzma get his next contract? have to think the window for LAL is maybe the next 2 years? so many things can happen though, so who knows. will be interesting if the Lakers don't win the title in the next 2 years how Lakers' fans will view LeBron.

Losing out on the entire future of the team is certainly a big risk. Win a title and maybe nobody cares, but if you don't..... Either way for you guys, your team is going for it. Would rather that than a team that sits back and acquires assets in hopes that things work out. Or a team that just is happy to make the playoffs. So no matter the outcome have to be a little happy that the Lakers aren't apathetic or ultra-conservative

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Before the year the athletic did a video series of Hayward titled “the comeback” like it was lebron coming back from an 18-month injury. How many people outside of Boston decided to watch that? 3?

Edited by Capella
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Insein said:

lol no 

7 minutes ago, modogg said:

this summer will be really intriguing for you guys. When does Kuzma get his next contract? have to think the window for LAL is maybe the next 2 years? so many things can happen though, so who knows. will be interesting if the Lakers don't win the title in the next 2 years how Lakers' fans will view LeBron.

Losing out on the entire future of the team is certainly a big risk. Win a title and maybe nobody cares, but if you don't..... Either way for you guys, your team is going for it. Would rather that than a team that sits back and acquires assets in hopes that things work out. Or a team that just is happy to make the playoffs. So no matter the outcome have to be a little happy that the Lakers aren't apathetic or ultra-conservative

Seems like the injuries to the Warriors' players prodded the Lakers into trying to win it all this year. I imagine they'd have pushed to do some kind of deal for Davis anyway, but it just seems like they overpaid to get it done now.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

A lot of dirt being thrown on Boston already.

Assuming Kyrie leaves, there are a host of options available.  Really the only player they are "stuck" with is Hayward who will now be a full year removed from his injury.  Speculation is that Horford opts out and signs 3 year deal with them.  They have 3 1st rounders in the back half this year and some pieces available for trade, up to Rozier, Smart or even Brown.

With a core of Hayward, Tatum, & Horford, they can fill in the rest and form a very good team without getting a superstar.  Lots of secondary, non-max players that would be good fits and make them a very, very tough out under Stevens.  I don't think they can win a championship without another stud, but all of Milwaukee, Toronto & Philly have work to do as well this off-season. 

I’d love to think otherwise but the dream is over for the foreseeable future. 

Leroux mentioned it on the Athletic, but 2022 is projected to be the supposed, mythical "Double Draft," the first year when HS players will be allowed to jump straight to the league. The Pels have the Lakers reverse top 8 protected pick in 2021 (which is wild), which converts to an unprotected pick in 2022 if they don't get it in 2021.

Just a reminder that post all-star break Karl Towns averaged 28.1 points and 13.4 rebs per game on 53/43/81 shooting. 

4 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Just a reminder that post all-star break Karl Towns averaged 28.1 points and 13.4 rebs per game on 53/43/81 shooting. 

Yep, and he carried that strong performance right into the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1