What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Republican Convention Thread for forum Republicans (1 Viewer)

The RNC announces there will be no GOP platform for the convention — just support for Trump’s second-term agenda, whatever that is.

RNC Non Platform for 2020
Why is anyone surprised by this?

The 1996 Democratic Party Platform was exactly 18,097 words that basically said:  "We think Bill Clinton has been doing a good job the last 4 years, lets keep doing the same thing"

Trump ran in '16 against flowery language, double-speak and politics as usual talk.    He promised an action orientation, not long winded policy proposals.    The 2020 Republican platform says basically the same thing with respect to Trump, but cuts out the nonsense and the formality of throwing 20,000 words together when simply re-printing the 65 page document from '16 is just as effective.   

On Day 1 of the RNC, a second term agenda outline with 10 key points was published.     Among the items emphasized, ironically, are a number of common sense items that used to central to Democratic party politics before they lost their way:

• Bring 1,000,000 manufacturing jobs back to the U.S from China
  • Stop endless wars and bring troops home
  • Establish "made in America" tax credits
And some important other items that all Americans, regardless of party, should care about:

• Dismantle human trafficking networks
  • Pass Congressional Term Limits legislation
  • Create 10M jobs in the first 10 months of 2021

The RNC announces there will be no GOP platform for the convention — just support for Trump’s second-term agenda, whatever that is.

RNC Non Platform for 2020
Why is anyone surprised by this?

The 1996 Democratic Party Platform was exactly 18,097 words that basically said:  "We think Bill Clinton has been doing a good job the last 4 years, lets keep doing the same thing"
I just read the entire platform and it turns out that you are wrong. I also counted the words and it was actually 18,108 words so you were wrong about that too.

I just read the entire platform and it turns out that you are wrong. I also counted the words and it was actually 18,108 words so you were wrong about that too.
I let Microsoft count the words for me, so I'll deflect blame to them.   

As for the '96 platform statements, those words have been on paper for 24 years, so nothing really "turned out" in the last hour.    18,000+ words saying look at what Clinton has done since '92, lets keep at it.     Maybe you should re-read it more carefully. 

Seems likely you want to call me wrong to deter others from reading the document, because, ironically, a lot of the items in the '96 platform doc which were hallmarks of Clinton's administration are now the opposite of what the 2020 Democratic Party stands for.   These are all direct quotes from the '96 Democratic platform:

• After trailing Japan for 14 years, America once again became the world's leading manufacturer of automobiles
  • Today's Democratic Party knows that the private sector is the engine of economic growth
  • Today's Democratic Party believes that all children should have the opportunity and the education to make the most of their own lives. We believe that schools should be run by teachers and principals, not by Washington
  • . . . but we do not trap business in a tangle of red tape
  • Today's Democratic Party believes the first responsibility of government is law and order
  • The Democratic Party under President Clinton is putting more police on the streets and tougher penalties on the books
It is truly amazing how far today's Democratic Party has drifted (or been pulled) away from these and other items that were front and center as recently as '96.    ☹️ 

SoBeDad said:
Which 2024 candidate has done the best job? IMO, Tim Scott was the best by far.
Scott was the headliner...I think Kristi Noem has a very bright future and is one to watch...a Scott/Noem ticket could be very formidable...Daniel Cameron made a splash and is under the microscope with the Breona Taylor situation so that will weigh heavily on his future...Nikki Haley has star power and there's a lot to like but still needs to prove to many GOPers she is not too deep in the establishment... 

Last edited by a moderator:
SoBeDad said:
Which 2024 candidate has done the best job? IMO, Tim Scott was the best by far.
Ivanka making her case.  She's been right by his side the entire time.  

This is an odd comment. There are multiple stated policy positions here. 
Yes, there are, but if you hold that document up and read the positions and hold the '92 party platform document up and read the positions, they are effectively the same.    That is the point being made.     In '96, the D party opted to publish 18,000 words to say "lets re-elect Bill Clinton because of these things that we've already said", with most of those words being an echo of what he ran on in '92

In 2020, the R party has opted for that same message "lets re-elect Donald Trump because of these things that we've already said".   The 2020 choice, however, was to literally republish the 2016 Republican party platform document with a one page resolution appended to the front of it. 

So I'm stating that these are effectively the same action, but here in 2020, we get these dramatic, hyped up statements like this:

The RNC announces there will be no GOP platform for the convention — just support for Trump’s second-term agenda, whatever that is.
both here in this board and in the media in general.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread