What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Republican Convention Thread for forum Republicans (2 Viewers)

I really don't know many of those people. I really only watch FOX and listen to Conservative radio.  

I don't think there's many pulling for Hillary these days.

Pelosi is a career politician who, I assume, is effective at her job....otherwise she wouldn't have gotten it back.

I don't really pay attention to Shumer.

Where are the Conservatives who preach a good message though?  Scott did decent last night.  Haley wasn't bad. Are there any others?  
Scott and Haley are two of my personal favorites

Was a huge Marco fan in the 2016 primaries and thought after hearing him at the 2012 RNC that he would be president one day. Rarely seen any speeches that so clearly epitomize my values:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svIxgki-AE

Kasich tried the sunny vision game in the 2016 primaries too. Didn't work for either because people were furious after 8 years of Obama

Romney/Ryan were both optimistic in their messaging in 2012--even as Democrats responded by calling them Nazis, fascists, sexists, genocidal, racists, white supremacists who wanted to put black people in chains and rip grandmas from little girls and throw them off cliffs

I am hopeful for that good message conservatism to rise to the top again but isn't it easy to see why it's on the low right now? Romney/Ryan tried it--got called all those things and lost

Trump went the opposite way and won

The optimists haven't been rewarded for it--they still get called every buzzword in the book.

If Trump loses the pendulum (hopefully) swings the other way back to good messages

Last edited by a moderator:
So the word out there is under his plan, social security will be poof in 2023 by getting rid of payroll taxes. My senior family are freaking. Any truth to this?

So the word out there is under his plan, social security will be poof in 2023 by getting rid of payroll taxes. My senior family are freaking. Any truth to this?
I believe it’s what would happen if payroll taxes were eliminated and not replaced by some other funding stream. I don’t think it’s going to happen, but 2020.

I think that was huge miss with the Democratic party and their convention who continue to not understand the American working middle class which has disdain for celebrities and career politicians.
It's been a feature of the RNC convention production that they have been featuring stock video and even foreign video to make representations about average Americans being Trump supporters.

School choice getting some attention this week...seems to be working well for some kids who were slipping thru the cracks.

Republicans repeatedly cut funding to public schools and put someone at the very top that hasn't as much as been a substitute teacher. Then they complain that schools are failing kids. It's appalling. 
That’s the issue between conservatism and progressivism (not necessarily Republican and Democrat especially nowadays). A prog sees a problem and sees no possible solution behind throwing more money at it until it fixes itself like their teacher union overlords demand.

A conservative seed that we spend substantially more than many countries with better education systems and that number has actually increased over the last four years:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/school-spending.html

and thinks of ways to improve the system through actual reforms proven to boost kids particularly in low income communities (charter school expansions, school choice, etc) with individualized options to get parents involved in their children’s education rather than more bureaucrats and union bosses—-policies that are generally popular even in communities that are decisively not Republican leaning:

https://www.mackinac.org/democratic-minority-voters-overwhelmingly-favor-school-choice

But go on throwing more money and more government at it. That always fixes everything. I know because Comrade Bernie and Liz the Cherokee Warrior said so

Joni Ernst better be careful, she's kind of making a pitch that climate change is happening in Iowa.  

Presentation wise, not fact checking either side, I think the GOP is putting on a better show.
They had some compelling speakers, especially Walker, Scott and Daniel Cameron, all POC. And Melania was good, an immigrant. All we'll remember in a week will be Biden and Trump.

Geez people.  Let them have their own place.  Maybe read and learn why they like Trump.  Plenty of other threads to bash all the stuff Trump and Rs do.  J was right that the majority here has made it hostile for the minority.
I belong to a Golf Forum with 75K members.   As with any forum the topic turned to politics.  Only different thing is that forum is 90-10 the other way than here and they drown out opposing views much like this forum does until they opposing viewers stop posting.

Not sure why people just can`t listen and talk anymore.

That’s the issue between conservatism and progressivism (not necessarily Republican and Democrat especially nowadays). A prog sees a problem and sees no possible solution behind throwing more money at it until it fixes itself like their teacher union overlords demand.

A conservative seed that we spend substantially more than many countries with better education systems and that number has actually increased over the last four years:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/school-spending.html

and thinks of ways to improve the system through actual reforms proven to boost kids particularly in low income communities (charter school expansions, school choice, etc) with individualized options to get parents involved in their children’s education rather than more bureaucrats and union bosses—-policies that are generally popular even in communities that are decisively not Republican leaning:

https://www.mackinac.org/democratic-minority-voters-overwhelmingly-favor-school-choice

But go on throwing more money and more government at it. That always fixes everything. I know because Comrade Bernie and Liz the Cherokee Warrior said so
Nowhere in that link does it state the US spends substantially more than other countries.  The US does spend more on military that the next 9 largest militaries combined though.

Nice solution putting the person in charge of the DOE to the highest bidder, regardless that she has no experience, too.  Great solution. 

Of course who are we kidding, this isn't about education but about giving more money to the richest Americans so they don't have pay for private school at the expense of low income families and public schools.  I'm sure you know that though. 

I belong to a Golf Forum with 75K members.   As with any forum the topic turned to politics.  Only different thing is that forum is 90-10 the other way than here and they drown out opposing views much like this forum does until they opposing viewers stop posting.

Not sure why people just can`t listen and talk anymore.
Sorry, I get sick of the arsonist complaining about all the fires. Particularly when they are lighting them in my neighborhood. I'll leave though. 

Nowhere in that link does it state the US spends substantially more than other countries.  The US does spend more on military that the next 9 largest militaries combined though.

Nice solution putting the person in charge of the DOE to the highest bidder, regardless that she has no experience, too.  Great solution. 

Of course who are we kidding, this isn't about education but about giving more money to the richest Americans so they don't have pay for private school at the expense of low income families and public schools.  I'm sure you know that though. 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2015/apr/21/jeb-bush/does-united-states-spend-more-student-most-countri/

https://www.insider.com/how-much-countries-around-the-world-spend-on-education-2019-8

That enough?

I have said multiple times on this forum that military spending needs to be cut significantly though. We have no need to outspend the next highest country 7 times over. If it were up to me I would halve it without second thought.

Betsy Devos was an awful pick to head the DOE--no qualms here. She mismanaged the charter school program/school choice expansion horribly in Michigan and had no business running the DOE

Note that I said Republicans are not always conservatives and vice versa, and Trump is certainly no conservative

And now the class warfare BS. Marxists are all the same

Yes: I am sure that the overwhelming majority of nonwhite Democrats are all about favoring this policy because it gives more money to "dA rIcH."

Sorry, I get sick of the arsonist complaining about all the fires. Particularly when they are lighting them in my neighborhood. I'll leave though. 
People who the policies are designed for sure seem to love them though---just the white savior Dems who hate the thought of low income and minority students succeeding through their own abilities without the power of a massive, debt ridden government being responsible for their advancement---seem to oppose them

I still doubt I am voting for him in a swing state but this is the first time in a quite a while I really think Trump might win. Still narrowly give Biden an edge but the riots destroying black communities/businesses and targeted appeals to swing states might just give him enough of a boost among black men in PA/WI/FL/NC to eek out a win--especially with Biden's less than stellar appeal to the black community and Harris's record

His chances would be even more solid imo if he had paid some lip service concern to BLM/police reform stuff rather doing what he did in Portland; but either way, Biden needs to be careful

People who the policies are designed for sure seem to love them though---just the white savior Dims who hate the thought of low income and minority students succeeding on their own without the power of a massive, debt ridden government being responsible for their advancement---seem to oppose them
And who are these people? This is a BS talking point.

My wife got kept out of her first choice of PhD programs because a minority with inferior grades was let in. Oh the horror! How could these reckless "Dims" (hoping that was a typo on your part) be privy to such injustice???!!!!!

Know what she did? Picked herself up by her bootstraps dadgummit! She worked hard, took a year off and got into a different program, having to move across country and spend two additional years in school as a result.  After all that, she has no qualms with what you're talking about. It equalizes the playing field for those who were born in the bullpen, not on third. It is not a perfect system, but the brush you're painting with is awfully friggin broad, bud.

And who are these people? This is a BS talking point.

My wife got kept out of her first choice of PhD programs because a minority with inferior grades was let in. Oh the horror! How could these reckless "Dims" (hoping that was a typo on your part) be privy to such injustice???!!!!!

Know what she did? Picked herself up by her bootstraps dadgummit! She worked hard, took a year off and got into a different program, having to move across country and spend two additional years in school as a result.  After all that, she has no qualms with what you're talking about. It equalizes the playing field for those who were born in the bullpen, not on third. It is not a perfect system, but the brush you're painting with is awfully friggin broad, bud.
It was a typo. I am trying to type properly rather than just pointing my fingers across the board and still getting used to it. Unfortunate mistake

As for your point I am not sure exactly which policy you are referring to. That post of mine was about school choice and charter schools that Democrats hate despite their nonwhite voters overwhelmingly favoring it

If you are talking about affirmative action please explain to me how dirt poor Hmong immigrants in the northwest side of the Twin Cities are "born on third" while the Sasha and Malia are born in the bullpen.

Or explain to me why me (an Asian American) am inferior and deserve to be stripped of opportunity solely because of my Indian father and Vietnamese mother (and while you're at it explain how they were born "on third"--ie in a house with garbage on the front step without indoor plumbing where he had to wait in a 30 person long line to take poop every morning and a zero bedroom apartment holding 7 people in an unstable communist country--while the children of black doctors, lawyers and businessmen growing up in the wealthy DC suburbs of Maryland are "born in the bullpen")

I am sorry you regard me as inferior for my race. Regardless I will continue to support police reform, opportunity zones, ending the war on drugs, criminal justice reform, school choice and other policies that can help black people in America and vote out racist, anti-Hispanic/Latino scumbags like Joe Arpaio---while at the same time voting for the party (with exceptions being scumbags like Arpaio, Roy Moore, etc that don't support those ideals) that fights to ensure I am judged and granted opportunity earned by the content of my character and not the color of my skin.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2015/apr/21/jeb-bush/does-united-states-spend-more-student-most-countri/

https://www.insider.com/how-much-countries-around-the-world-spend-on-education-2019-8

That enough?

I have said multiple times on this forum that military spending needs to be cut significantly though. We have no need to outspend the next highest country 7 times over. If it were up to me I would halve it without second thought.

Betsy Devos was an awful pick to head the DOE--no qualms here. She mismanaged the charter school program/school choice expansion horribly in Michigan and had no business running the DOE

Note that I said Republicans are not always conservatives and vice versa, and Trump is certainly no conservative

And now the class warfare BS. Marxists are all the same

Yes: I am sure that the overwhelming majority of nonwhite Democrats are all about favoring this policy because it gives more money to "dA rIcH."

People who the policies are designed for sure seem to love them though---just the white savior Dems who hate the thought of low income and minority students succeeding through their own abilities without the power of a massive, debt ridden government being responsible for their advancement---seem to oppose them
I'm trying to be a gentleman and leave this thread but you keep quoting me.  The fact that you are calling me one of the worst kind of people and the blatant racism in your post says a lot more about you than me. 

Good day. 

It was a typo. I am trying to type properly rather than just pointing my fingers across the board and still getting used to it. Unfortunate mistake

As for your point I am not sure exactly which policy you are referring to. That post of mine was about school choice and charter schools that Democrats hate despite their nonwhite voters overwhelmingly favoring it

If you are talking about affirmative action please explain to me how dirt poor Hmong immigrants in the northwest side of the Twin Cities are "born on third" while the Sasha and Malia are born in the bullpen.

Or explain to me why me (an Asian American) am inferior and deserve to be stripped of opportunity solely because of my Indian father and Vietnamese mother (and while you're at it explain how they were born "on third"--ie in a house with garbage on the front step without indoor plumbing where he had to wait in a 30 person long line to take poop every morning and a zero bedroom apartment holding 7 people in an unstable communist country--while the children of black doctors, lawyers and businessmen growing up in the wealthy DC suburbs of Maryland are "born in the bullpen")

I am sorry you regard me as inferior for my race. Regardless I will continue to support police reform, opportunity zones, ending the war on drugs, criminal justice reform, school choice and other policies that can help black people in America and vote out racist, anti-Hispanic/Latino scumbags like Joe Arpaio---while at the same time voting for the party (with exceptions being scumbags like Arpaio, Roy Moore, etc that don't support those ideals) that fights to ensure I am judged and granted opportunity earned by the content of my character and not the color of my skin.
There's a lot to unpack here and I'd like to respond, but don't have the time at the moment. And perhaps this would be best handled by PM, as it would muck up this thread pretty hard. Rest assured I'd love to have a discussion with you about this and I'm not avoiding you. I'm really interested in your perspective.

There's a lot to unpack here and I'd like to respond, but don't have the time at the moment. And perhaps this would be best handled by PM, as it would muck up this thread pretty hard. Rest assured I'd love to have a discussion with you about this and I'm not avoiding you. I'm really interested in your perspective.
Rather than a PM, how about a new thread.  Could be very interesting an informative.  maybe a thread where only you two post for the first day or so.

I kinda went off on a tangent there, but my opinions on choice/charter and affirmative action are intermingled. I think, like many things, that the idea of public money being used for choice and charter schools is a good one, but the execution is leaving something to be desired. And for-profit charter schools in general seem like a bad idea. Profit motive always increases the chances of graft, corruption and fraud. How is that helping our failing education system? I will admit that my knowledge of this subject is extremely lacking and my opinions may be formed with incomplete information.

Affirmative action is something I support in the abstract. The idea of giving kids a leg up that have come through extraordinary circumstances to achieve academically, even if they haven't achieved as much as some of their counterparts, feels morally correct to me, despite what my wife went through. Again, I will admit that my nuts-and-bolts knowledge of how it works is lacking. Like many things, the sentiment of the idea likely is vastly superior to the real world execution of it.

As far as much of the rest of your post goes, I think you may have misinterpreted my intentions, or I'm misunderstanding yours, or both. Sasha and Malia were born on second at least, and dirt poor Hmong immigrants (of which I know several) were closer to being born in the parking lot, not the bullpen. I'm not specifically talking about blacks in this context, I'm including basically all non-white ethnicities (Asians, Hispanics/ Latinos, Native Americans, etc.) in the born in the bullpen analogy. And obviously African Americans and every other ethnicity can and are born into wealth, and therefore born on third. I would argue that in most cases, being born white is at least a bloop single. 

You telling me I think you are inferior for your race hacked me off, honestly. I don't know if you really meant it or were being hyperbolic, but you are WAY off base with that statement. I did not know you were Asian. I start from the assumption that everyone here is a white male until finding out otherwise. It is the overwhelming demographic on this board. You seem like exactly what we need more of around here- a non-reactionary, independent-minded conservative that realizes that Donald Trump is not the answer for real conservative policy goals. I apologize if you took my posts as some sort of personal attack on you, as that is not what I meant to do. I did not appreciate your insinuation that Dems (which I vociferously am NOT, although I support much of their platform) are happy only when poor minority students are beholden to a giant government bureaucracy to get ahead. I think that is a ridiculous attitude based on RW media talking points. Like I've already said, lots of these things are great in principle and sorely lacking in execution. This is generally not how people think, at least not in my experience. We want them to be granted the same opportunities, and sometimes be given a leg-up in opportunities on a case-by-case basis. 

Sorry if this is rambling, I'm trying to get my thoughts out in a semi-coherent manner while being distracted by two young kids that are crazy and have been mostly housebound for the last six months. Feel free to PM me if you want clarification on any of this, @KChusker I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread