What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (3 Viewers)

538 has the Thunder at 40% to make the playoffs. I would prefer my team tank than make the 7 or 8 seed, but they are legitimately in the mix to make the playoffs. The top 6 seeds in the west seem like a lock, but beyond that the 7-13 seeds (the Griz and Warriors aren't going anywhere) are totally up in the air.
I think Thunder fans are wanting a tank, but the players didn't get the memo.  Esp. SGA, he's a stud.  

16 / 5 / 2

what's the current opinion of Carmelo? 

(1) he's still a ball stopping piece of trash

(2) he's only putting up those numbers because he's a ball stopping piece of trash

(3) he's a piece of trash and those numbers are trash

Last edited by a moderator:
Carmelo with 25 points, Dame with 12 assists, and the Blazers tromp the Bulls. If they're tanking, they're doing it wrong.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Houston has a dismal bench. Harden, Westbrook and Capela are going to be worn down to nubbins before the All-Star break. 
The good thing is their head coach understands how to pace his players during the regular season, limiting minutes when it makes sense, and can develop a deep bench.  Or the exact opposite.

Frostillicus said:
Pretty sure KAT > Embiid is now a fact.
KAT's offensive game has been taken to the next level this season.  His ability to hit all types of 3's (including step backs to his right at times) at high volume is crazy.  Tough to take him over Embiid with the importance of defense from the 5 in the playoffs though.

Frostillicus said:
Really enjoying the Ky Bowman era in Golden State.
It's the Eric Paschall Era. 😡 Ky doesn't get an Era mention with his hair styles this season.

Poke_4_Life said:
Thunder won last night at GSW.  Someone more experienced with tanking, can you explain how I should feel about the win?
It's frustrating that the Warriors are better than the Thunder at sucking. Paul is playing good enough for them to be competitive but not quite good enough to where he's going to draw much trade interest, Adams isn't really improving and would be tough to trade, etc. It's suspicious injury time imo. 

It's frustrating that the Warriors are better than the Thunder at sucking. Paul is playing good enough for them to be competitive but not quite good enough to where he's going to draw much trade interest, Adams isn't really improving and would be tough to trade, etc. It's suspicious injury time imo. 
I have to think the Thunder FO is torn, as they assumed this team would tank well...  but they are right in that 6-10 in the West quagmire.  At least they have a ton of picks in the next few years. 

They also have as many wins as the team in 13th and are one game up on 14th, standings haven't really congealed yet in the West imo. They aren't making the playoffs. 

Fondly looking back on the days when there was hope that GSW's top-20 protected 1st would convey to Brooklyn. :lmao:  

The Thunder have WAY more talent than GS for as long as Curry is out.

They also have as many wins as the team in 13th and are one game up on 14th, standings haven't really congealed yet in the West imo. They aren't making the playoffs. 
Who are the last two teams in? It's a total crapshoot.

True, but I like the Twolves for 7, and then for the last spot I think the Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, and Kings could all finish ahead of the Thunder. No clue what to think about the Suns but they seem better than the Thunder too. They need to make sure it happens. Trade Gallo for nothing if a contender wants him, hold Adams out for the second half of the season for load management, whatever.

Attendance has been pretty not great, so maybe they’ll decide it’s worth it to try and finish as high as possible to sustain interest and since they have so many picks who cares about where they finish this year and where their own pick lands. 

I'm enjoying the early season success, but man, the Lakers' schedule has been ridiculously soft so far.
glad you mentioned this bud. didn't want to burst any bubbles, but you could tell NBA set this up nicely to have the national media go goo-goo with the first few months with the Lakers. the big test is how they hold up over the season health wise, and can they set themselves up to be healthy playoff time

still thinking about Kawhi's whole season last year, i don't know if they could have had him better prepared for that playoff run

True, but I like the Twolves for 7, and then for the last spot I think the Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, and Kings could all finish ahead of the Thunder. No clue what to think about the Suns but they seem better than the Thunder too. They need to make sure it happens. Trade Gallo for nothing if a contender wants him, hold Adams out for the second half of the season for load management, whatever.
Twolves won't hold their early start.  They'll be starting Culver at the 1 a bit now and that doesn't bode well for almost any rookie leading a team to wins.  Plus they've gotten production from a lot of players...making it tough to project it continuing.

Suns are better simply because they have a few vets now that play the right way and to pay that forward.  Not sure Monty is anything special as a tactician, but he's a great fit to establish culture and get everyone rowing in the same direction (until ownership inevitably does something stupid).

Agreed on Gallinari, but his game may have already peaked and we're now seeing the downside.  He's always had trouble staying healthy, but now he's having difficulty getting past his defender and is really resorting to foul draw flailing to be productive.

BTW - Giannis had 50pts, 14reb, 6ast, 2stl, and 0 turnovers Monday night.  Yet we read crap about Hart apologizing to LA, Carmelo not being a total disaster for a half, and a handful of other lesser stories.  The Freak's play deserves better.

man, i think i am fine if Ben shoots like 10 3s all season if he keeps this defense up. Dude is winning games by himself with absolutely killer defense. Just funny thinking the biggest knock coming into the league was that Ben couldn't play defense because he didn't play D at LSU

man, i think i am fine if Ben shoots like 10 3s all season if he keeps this defense up. Dude is winning games by himself with absolutely killer defense. Just funny thinking the biggest knock coming into the league was that Ben couldn't play defense because he didn't play D at LSU
I think it really shows how much of defense is just trying hard.  Look at LeBron this year.  Even though he's not at peak Bron defensive levels, he's miles better than last year just because he seems to give a ####.

It's not really a huge surprise that someone as athletic as Ben has become a good defender, but it's definitely encouraging to see how much effort he's putting in.

At the Lakers/Wizards game I went to Friday I learned there's a guy named Hachimura in the league. Is he the first Japanese NBA player? Pretty awesome. He had some nice sequences in the game too.

I also learned that the Wizards are terrible. They've got 4 guys in the rotation who were Lakers cast offs from the last two years. I realize Wall isn't playing, but what happened here @TobiasFunke? How did Ish Smith become their best player by default?

Maybe the Hawks made a mistake trading Doncic away? Seems eerily reminiscent of what happened with Nowitzki.

Maybe the Hawks made a mistake trading Doncic away? Seems eerily reminiscent of what happened with Nowitzki.
Young is no slouch, but Reddish has a long ways to go to be relevant.  I'd say it is close, but they still lost the trade.  Doncic is stupid good already and his game is built to last longer than Young's game.

Gr00vus said:
At the Lakers/Wizards game I went to Friday I learned there's a guy named Hachimura in the league. Is he the first Japanese NBA player? Pretty awesome. He had some nice sequences in the game too.

I also learned that the Wizards are terrible. They've got 4 guys in the rotation who were Lakers cast offs from the last two years. I realize Wall isn't playing, but what happened here @TobiasFunke? How did Ish Smith become their best player by default?
not the first player, but the first 1st rounder.

too soon to tell, but certainly possible.  young seemed like he might have the higher upside with the way the league was going, but many thought doncic should be the number 1 pick, so no doubt it was a gamble at the time.

I think it really shows how much of defense is just trying hard.  Look at LeBron this year.  Even though he's not at peak Bron defensive levels, he's miles better than last year just because he seems to give a ####.

It's not really a huge surprise that someone as athletic as Ben has become a good defender, but it's definitely encouraging to see how much effort he's putting in.
of course effort is a part of it, but i think that you may be overestimating how much it really leads to the good outcome at the highest levels of the nba.  the guys you cite are total unicorns and for them to have the effect that they do necessitates their physical types, so no matter how hard lots of guys try, they would never be as good.

Gr00vus said:

Yuta Tabuse was first in 2004; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuta_Tabuse

Yuta Watanabe currently on the end of Memphis roster or G league.  Played in summer league.  I think that he went to GW.

When this bonehead isn't writhing on the floor, he's fouling intentionally down 7 with 5 seconds left. :lmao:  
I think I hate him almost as much as Harden.
It was pretty hilarious to watch him complain to the ref after trying to take Davis to the hoop late and just get denied.

How bad are the NBA officials? This bad.

eta: and I'm a card-carrying Harden hater.
Explanation from NBA Official:

"Alright, when the play happened [James] Harden goes in for a dunk, and then the ball appears to pop back up through the net. When that happens, that is basket interference. To have a successful field goal it must clear the net. We have since come in here and looked at the play. He dunked it so hard that the net carried it back over the rim a second time, so in fact it did clear the net and should have been a successful field goal. As to could the play have been reviewed. It is a reviewable matter, but you have a window of 30 seconds to challenge the play during that timeout that he had and while they were protesting the call, trying to get clarification of it, that window passed so therefore it elapsed and they were not able to do it."

Explanation from NBA Official:

"Alright, when the play happened [James] Harden goes in for a dunk, and then the ball appears to pop back up through the net. When that happens, that is basket interference. To have a successful field goal it must clear the net. We have since come in here and looked at the play. He dunked it so hard that the net carried it back over the rim a second time, so in fact it did clear the net and should have been a successful field goal. As to could the play have been reviewed. It is a reviewable matter, but you have a window of 30 seconds to challenge the play during that timeout that he had and while they were protesting the call, trying to get clarification of it, that window passed so therefore it elapsed and they were not able to do it."
One of the most laughable statements released by the league.  It was glaringly obvious that d'antoni and Rockets players asked for a review well within 30 seconds and were denied that by the refs. I just wish the league had enough guts to admit that they screwed things up 100% and tried not to make tangential excuses when the evidence clearly doesnt support those excuses.

There's no integrity with the officiating. I don't know why the refs have such egos when even the league admits they suck.

Almost as bad as the NBA not admitting they just messed up is the Rockets reaction as an organization.  We all would be mad that basket didn't count, but to say they should be awarded the win or the game should be replayed from that mid-4th quarter point (when they also happened to have a nice lead) is weak. 

(Hot take alert?) It's almost a mindset with the Rockets, and it's one that doesn't bode well for their mental strength.  It's the same type of thing we saw from the Chris Paul Lob City Clippers for years.  Suck it up and move on, quit playing the victims and #####ing about everything.  The Rockets are correct about the missed bucket, but how they officially went about voicing their displeasure comes across as small.

well, deciding between Green & KCP to miss the shot, D12 or JaVale to clog your spacing and when to go off-page w Rondo & Kuzma is 4D thinking, maaaan
Honestly, I had almost forgotten he was the coach. D39 and JaVale have both been plusses so far this season. Having them around has really freed up Davis and James on the defensive end and they've been good on the offensive glass. Craziest thing to me this year has been Rondo's outside shooting - he's not an automatic miss. Only took him what, 15 years?

One of the most laughable statements released by the league.  It was glaringly obvious that d'antoni and Rockets players asked for a review well within 30 seconds and were denied that by the refs. I just wish the league had enough guts to admit that they screwed things up 100% and tried not to make tangential excuses when the evidence clearly doesnt support those excuses.
Do you have a link showing d'antoni asking for a review? What the players asked for is irrelevant. 

There's no integrity with the officiating. I don't know why the refs have such egos when even the league admits they suck.
I've said it before, but apparently it bears repeating, officiating basketball is one of if not the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do.  And I just do High School.  I also do small college football and I'd say the difficulty level between the two is no comparison. Basketball is much more difficult.

Refs HAVE to have egos.  You can't survive it if you don't. If you don't have confidence in what you are doing with 100 split second decions a night, coaches, players and fans of ride you like all night long. It is mentally and emotionally exhausting to blow off everyone's comments and focus on what you're supposed to see and then make the correct judgment call. If you've never tried it I suggest you back off the "refs are horrible" crap. These guys are as good at reffing as the players are at playing.  I am sure that they're not all great all of the time and they mess up a lot, but again it's freaking hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread