Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Losing charity in all-star game sadly cancels field trip to DC

Recommended Posts

Is it just me—or does Jokic look considerably heavier this year?  I’m watching this Warriors vs Nuggets game and he just looks slower and chunkier than I remember him looking last season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only took 255 injuries to the roster but nice of Malone to let Porter Jr. finish out a game.

Cool idea to let your best players play. :thumbup:  

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Is it just me—or does Jokic look considerably heavier this year?  I’m watching this Warriors vs Nuggets game and he just looks slower and chunkier than I remember him looking last season.  

I haven't seen Jokic play much this year but I'm pretty sure I remember Zach Lowe writing about him looking out of shape earlier in the season.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Only took 255 injuries to the roster but nice of Malone to let Porter Jr. finish out a game.

Cool idea to let your best players play. :thumbup:  

 

how is his defense doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

how is his defense doing?

non-existent, to the extent that one wonders about the basketball instincts of a guy who can stand around that much

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would rather watch Matisse Thybulle than a guy like Ingram, Booker, or even Harden, any day. Dude is just so much fun to watch, but he doesn't take 30 shots a game so most NBA fans would never like him

Edited by modogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Spurs are now responsible for 20% of the Hawks' wins this season. You're welcome Atlanta.

I didn't expect the Spurs to be great this season or anything but... oof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 10:18 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

these grizzlies sure are frisky

I said it a year ago and I will keep saying, give me Ja over Zion. I have been telling mfers about him. 

On 1/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, whoknew said:

Pistons up by 9 over Boston after 3 thanks to ... 20 points so far from Air France. 

The future is here.

This is the time where every season I post about maybe there's some positive signs for the Pistons and then I have to ghost the thread. The Pistons have a long way to go. I do, however, believe in Dr. Doum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philly put 6 players on the floor and hit a 3pt. Refs didn't notice. LOL

6ers indeed.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blazers dump salary to Kings.

Kings get: Kent Bazemore, Anthony Tolliver, 2 2nd-round picks

Blazers get: Trevor Ariza, Wenyen Gabriel, Caleb Swanigan, 2 trade exceptions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

Blazers dump salary to Kings.

Kings get: Kent Bazemore, Anthony Tolliver, 2 2nd-round picks

Blazers get: Trevor Ariza, Wenyen Gabriel, Caleb Swanigan, 2 trade exceptions

If only it had been foreseeable that Ariza was washed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 6:40 PM, Joe Summer said:

Blazers dump salary to Kings.

Kings get: Kent Bazemore, Anthony Tolliver, 2 2nd-round picks

Blazers get: Trevor Ariza, Wenyen Gabriel, Caleb Swanigan, 2 trade exceptions

That is kind of weird. Are the blazers giving up?  Tolliver and bazemore seemed useful for them.

maybe not giving up, but I guess they were being realistic about the marginal value of those guys relative to the tax.

Edited by Long Ball Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royce O’Neal extension quite nice for the jazz.

just barely more than cedi is an got but Royce is a much better piece.

seems significantly less than he would have gotten as a fa given this year’s class, but i guess it’s too much guaranteed cash to pass up for a guy who’s made nothing.

Edited by Long Ball Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

That is kind of weird. Are the blazers giving up?  Tolliver and bazemore seemed useful for them.

maybe not giving up, but I guess they were being realistic about the marginal value of those guys relative to the tax.

Bazemore has been pretty horrific this year, even in a down season Ariza should be an upgrade for them.

But yeah this is probably more about them saving money than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Rockets 4th Quarter was pathetic.  I thought only Bill O'Brien could blow a lead like that (up 15 points with 7 minutes left).   Becoming more apparent that Westbrook and Harden aren't the answer.  If they keep sliding, could be an early exit for D'Antoni.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dwight Powell 's right Achilles snapped on a non-contact play versus the Clippers. The slo-motion video of his sock rippling as his heel pops... 🤢

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amare Stoudamire signs with Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Pretty amazing how closely his career mirrors with a player that drew many Amare comparisons pre-draft in Blake Griffin. Both All-NBA/All-Star types whose NBA careers fell off a cliff at 30.

 

 

 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zion debuting tonight at home vs Spurs.

Any NBA observers still thinking Williamson will never really shake off body-type related knee trouble? Not challenging anyone ... just wondering what the conventional wisdom on Zion’s prospects are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't get how this Toronto team has so many wins. The Siachim magic has seemed to fade, and outside of Van Fleet there isn't a whole lot else there. Lowry still can flop like a champ, and beyond all reason, refs still love to reward it, but there really isn't much there

Edited by modogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modogg said:

i don't get how this Toronto team has so many wins. The Siachim magic has seemed to fade, and outside of Van Fleet there isn't a whole lot else there. Lowry still can flop like a champ, and beyond all reason, refs still love to reward it, but there really isn't much there

Nurse >>>>>> Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Kansas Comet said:

Zion 🔥🔥🔥

Dude single handedly brought them back from being down double digits.  Gentry kept sending subs to the table then bringing them back.  Apparently someone was putting a lot of pressure on to get Zion out of the game as he was exceeding his minutes allotment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Kansas Comet said:

Zion 🔥🔥🔥

Only had one FG in the first half. Only played 18 minutes. Still went for 22 points and 7 boards.

Edited by Doug B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zion Williamson is the first rookie to score 17 points in a quarter in their #NBA  debut since Jake Layman (17 points, 4th quarter, 11/1/16).

  • Like 5
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Zion Williamson is the first rookie to score 17 points in a quarter in their #NBA  debut since Jake Layman (17 points, 4th quarter, 11/1/16).

It's a shame they took him out so early.   I get slowly working him back but if the kid is in the zone and the only reason you're in the game, let him continue.  

Edited by Major
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Major said:

It's a shame they took him out so early.   I get slowly working him back but if the kid is in the zone and the only reason you're in the game, let him continue.  

I'll never understand modern pro sports load management. Zion had already sat out three months for what was initially billed a 6-8 week recovery. He has been practicing for over a month, and full-practicing for at least two weeks. So at this point ... is there really a medically-discernible risk difference between playing 18 minutes and playing, say, 22 minutes?

Really, doc? Really? I don't believe it. I just don't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely shuked by the new thread title. Usually, I get the joke right away, but not this one. Being a local doesn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Absolutely shuked by the new thread title. Usually, I get the joke right away, but not this one. Being a local doesn't help.

It was a joke about how big Zion is. I don’t really love it so I’ll change it shortly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

It was a joke about how big Zion is.

Yeah but: if Zion went over there and ate a ton of beignets ... that would HELP their business and make it easier for them to retain staff :D  I could be overthinking it, though.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Yeah but: if Zion went over there and ate a ton of beignets ... that would HELP their business and make it easier for them to retain staff :D  I could be overthinking it, though.

You're overthinking it.   Now that he's playing he has less time to eat and more pressure from everyone (as a major face of the NBA) to not look like Notorious B.I.G.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, offdee said:

Now that he's playing he has less time to eat and more pressure from everyone ...

From that I can segue into the question:

Will Zion Williamson ever be the kind of player that can average 30-35 minutes a night over 78-82 games year in and year out? Or do modern load-management strategies preclude that kind of usage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Doug B said:

From that I can segue into the question:

Will Zion Williamson ever be the kind of player that can average 30-35 minutes a night over 78-82 games year in and year out? Or do modern load-management strategies preclude that kind of usage?

I think the big question isn't about load management, but more about his joints and limbs standing up to that constant beating.   The size of that man combined with the force/torque/explosive movements he puts on his body is something we haven't really seen before.   The concern is that he doesn't seem to be the type of person to be locked into his body and health and eventually that will catch up to him.   We all hope it doesn't happen sooner than later.

Edited by offdee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, offdee said:

You're overthinking it.   Now that he's playing he has less time to eat and more pressure from everyone (as a major face of the NBA) to not look like Notorious B.I.G.

 

crazy how he went from 6'9" and 275 in college to 6'6" and 310 in the pros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

load management to me is flushing intermittently while you poop so as to not clog the toilet.  otherwise, let the human blob play.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

crazy how he went from 6'9" and 275 in college to 6'6" and 310 in the pros

I had thought he was a legit 6’8”. Local reporters all say 6’6” now, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

I had thought he was a legit 6’8”. Local reporters all say 6’6” now, though.

i compared him to other players on the floor last nite - he's 6'8

favorite Zion stat - ahead of Ben Simmons in career treys

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

i compared him to other players on the floor last nite - he's 6'8

favorite Zion stat - ahead of Ben Simmons in career treys

all the NBA pundits i've heard talk about him say he's 6'5" or 6'6"  :shrug: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't really matter if Zion can do the job. Sir Charles was listed at 6'6", but was really more like 6'4".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if i was a Lakers' fan, i think that would annoy me the most would be other Lakers' fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member