What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (12 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I used to love horror as a kid/teen and then just got bored of it so I’m not well versed on horror of the last 15-20 years. I do like to watch scary movies this time of the year though I tend to watch older ones because I don’t want to genuinely be scared and I’m not big on gore. I’m an atmosphere/psychological horror guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the commitment. What is it about The Shining you like or what is it about other horror films you don’t?
TBH it's how it looks. I usually get so engrossed in just feasting my eyes on it that the plot and the scary parts kind of just wash over me.  As for other horror movies, I want to pin that on my brother, because he scared the #### out of me when I was about 5 or 6; my parents were out and I was enjoying watching TV in the basement when I heard a tap on the window behind me and my brother was wearing some sort of scary green mask that freaked me out.  I didn't know it was him and just ran upstairs and locked myself in my room.  Needless to say he had a great laugh at my expense.  Over time, I gave movies with shocking/scary moments like Jaws a chance and by now I figure I'm able to handle the shock and maybe even appreciate the work that went into achieving the effect(s).

Probably be 2 for my crappy horror picks.  ;)
i don't get horror. i want to get horror and this is a perfect format for doing so. if you can find two bloody hunks of gory junk that explain why  i should appreciate the genre,  i'll take you at your word and break my policy against pay-per-stream to see them. 

Not much into horror but will likely watch. Saw THIS from 2005 years ago and liked it. Not sure if it's on Prime or not. Would definitely watch again as I really don't remember all the details and what not. Just remember liking it.

First time seeing OP and liked it. The tone and pace of the movie synced perfectly with the tense calm performances. And than the conclusion, wow. I was expecting a mother son hug not a taxi cab. It was also refreshing that the dialogue contained no "yeah umm so..ok's"  that has taken over modern times.

Saw TSH years ago. It was better the second time around, me being 15 years older. As posted above gut wrenching. 

I assume the opposite, especially for the demographic in this thread and the yearly voting thread.  

Feels like there's only about 5-6 steady posters in the horror thread. 
Not as many are made and I think it's just harder to make a good horror film. Many I've seen are            dumb, stupid whatever you want to call it. Just my opinion, No offense to the horror lovers.  

i don't get horror. i want to get horror and this is a perfect format for doing so. if you can find two bloody hunks of gory junk that explain why  i should appreciate the genre,  i'll take you at your word and break my policy against pay-per-stream to see them. 
I'm not the guy to try to convince people that they should appreciate a genre. I can try to explain why I like it.  Sure, a bit has to do with my roots, and like metal thats what I into in the formative teen years.  For me to say with a straight face that a horror movie is great, I would say it's one of the following (or multiple of these):

1.  Its generally a well made/well acted movie.  Ie, The Shining or Hereditary 

2.  Just like any genre, use can use the movie to mine for deeper themes or allegories, and its interesting to see the fears of the culture express itself through horror movies and shows.  Ie - Night of the Living Dead or Get Out

3. It manages to scare me.  I love a well crafted scare and white knuckle sensation.  Ie - The Orphanage or The Exorcist. 

4.  Its funny.  I love the horror/comedy subgenre, especially when it manages to poke fun at the genre while being a legit horror movie.  Ie Scream or Cabin in the Woods.  

Yes, my soft soft spot for the genre means I love the cheese and dumb kills something like a Friday the 13th sequel would provide, but I wouldn't go to bat for that or suggest it for this format.  

Not as many are made and I think it's just harder to make a good horror film. Many I've seen are            dumb, stupid whatever you want to call it. Just my opinion, No offense to the horror lovers.  
Agree 100% on the bolded, but not so much on the part before it.  Felt like over 1/2 of the stock we got at the video store was horrible cheap made horror movies.  They are churned out by the 1000s because they are cheap and the horror hounds will watch just about anything. 

What the non-fans need is an honest horror fan that will wade through the crap for them and try to suggest the few they think they might like.  

Out of curiosity, what are a couple of the horror films you have liked?

Also, I know I am a broken record, but Kanopy probably has the more interesting selection for the genre, but still not a ton.     

Honestly, the choices on NF or AP are either I assume highly seen like Rosemary's Baby or pretty cheesy/bad.  

KarmaPolice said:
Also, I know I am a broken record, but Kanopy probably has the more interesting selection for the genre, but still not a ton.     

Honestly, the choices on NF or AP are either I assume highly seen like Rosemary's Baby or pretty cheesy/bad.  
I have seen Rosemarys Baby once. I would think most have seen it but it’s also from the 60s and I was surprised by how many hadn’t seen Bonnie and Clyde/ItHotN

I have seen Rosemarys Baby once. I would think most have seen it but it’s also from the 60s and I was surprised by how many hadn’t seen Bonnie and Clyde/ItHotN
I haven't seen Rosemary's Baby since the 70s :bag:  

Repulsion and The Fearless Vampire Killers are better Polanski horror movies IMO.

Ilov80s said:
Out of curiosity, what are a couple of the horror films you have liked?
Movies don't scare me,, don't get me to bypass my sensibilities. The Crawling Eye in 1960 was the last one that did. I liked Halloween for what it was and enjoyed Motel Hell & the Dr Phibes movies for camp. Didn't like any of the other series i've seen and have turned off more (Saw, Ring, Cabin in the Woods) than i've finished. I just don't connect with the process.

If you have TCM, the early horror classic The Black Cat is streaming for the next week.  It's 85 years old so there are definitely corny bits but there are also moments that are legitimately creepy still.

Movies don't scare me,, don't get me to bypass my sensibilities. The Crawling Eye in 1960 was the last one that did. I liked Halloween for what it was and enjoyed Motel Hell & the Dr Phibes movies for camp. Didn't like any of the other series i've seen and have turned off more (Saw, Ring, Cabin in the Woods) than i've finished. I just don't connect with the process.
I loved these as a kid. Still watch them when they’re on now. Motel Hell is just funny bad.

If you have TCM, the early horror classic The Black Cat is streaming for the next week.  It's 85 years old so there are definitely corny bits but there are also moments that are legitimately creepy still.
Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff pairing is definitely a must if one is into the old Universal horror films 

I tried to watch The Sweet Hereafter last night and made it about twenty-five minutes in before I realized what I thought might unfold. I think I'll stick with all of your comments about the intricacies of the film, with identikit's quote about tragedies being forefront in my mind. It seemed a bit much to bear for my disposition then. 

I tried to watch The Sweet Hereafter last night and made it about twenty-five minutes in before I realized what I thought might unfold. I think I'll stick with all of your comments about the intricacies of the film, with identikit's quote about tragedies being forefront in my mind. It seemed a bit much to bear for my disposition then. 
Interesting. I would almost say nothing happens. The accident already has happened and so basically it’s a movie where nothing happens- which I hadn’t realized until you posted this.

Interesting. I would almost say nothing happens. The accident already has happened and so basically it’s a movie where nothing happens- which I hadn’t realized until you posted this.
Yeah, I gathered. I figured it was picking up the pieces of a tragedy involving the deaths of innocent children, something I wasn't up for in terms of content, I guess. I also figured I'd cheat :) and read the thread as it had some comments from people I'm drawn to read. 

eta* Glad I was able to help you along on your journey to discovering that nothing really happens. 

Uh oh.  

One of my favorites, but will fully admit it's more of a horror movie lover's horror movie with all the nods to other tropes and horror movies.   

It looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu are streaming, but I'm not sure how many could get to watch old German silent films (I freaking love Caligari though).

It looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu are streaming, but I'm not sure how many could get to watch old German silent films (I freaking love Caligari though).
Caligari is a favorite of mine and much better than Nosferatu imo but I have bet seen Nosferatu is quite awhile so maybe I would change my opinion

Well, I am going to push it a little since I love the movie so much and think it's worth the effort.  I also like the pairing after I stared at it more and thought about the similarities.   Like we talked about at the start of this endeavor, watching both movies isn't mandatory so one of the pair is going to be on Kanopy and rental only - looks like it's only $2.99 on AP.  Looks like there is another streaming option called Magnolia Selects (no idea what this is) that somebody could do a 7 day free trial on to try to watch it.   I feel strongly enough about the pairing and movies that if somebody pays for the $2.99 and honestly hates the movie and gets 0 out of it, I will paypal them the $3.    

I will post the double feature later, but we are going old/new again and we are in the 70s and the late 00s.  Both have Metascores in the 80s and I think there are a lot of interesting themes we can mine out of the discussion.  

This is one of my favorite short stories.

Well, I am going to push it a little since I love the movie so much and think it's worth the effort.  I also like the pairing after I stared at it more and thought about the similarities.   Like we talked about at the start of this endeavor, watching both movies isn't mandatory so one of the pair is going to be on Kanopy and rental only - looks like it's only $2.99 on AP.  Looks like there is another streaming option called Magnolia Selects (no idea what this is) that somebody could do a 7 day free trial on to try to watch it.   I feel strongly enough about the pairing and movies that if somebody pays for the $2.99 and honestly hates the movie and gets 0 out of it, I will paypal them the $3.    

I will post the double feature later, but we are going old/new again and we are in the 70s and the late 00s.  Both have Metascores in the 80s and I think there are a lot of interesting themes we can mine out of the discussion.  
I'm in and I can't wait.  :popcorn:

I am not going to dig too deep into the genre for our first horror pairing, especially since it's not a fave of a lot of people in the thread.  In the end, I also didn't want to throw a couple out there that I wouldn't be 100% behind.  I would say that these 2 movies would be near the top of a list I would do of personal favorite horror movies.  Too many from the 70s and 80s don't hold up to current viewings.  Anyway, I won't discuss too much why I paired these together in case people haven't seen them, but for October we will try:

Carrie (1976) - Looks like it's on Prime and NF according to my search.   94% on RT, 7.4 on imdb

Let the Right One In (2008) - This is the one that's on Kanopy, Magnolia (can try this for a week free and watch it), or Hoopla (looks like a similar concept to Kanopy).  Also available for rent for $2.99 on Amazon, youtube, Vudu, etc.   98% on RT and a surprising 5.0 on imdb.  

My original idea was to do modern interpretations of classic Universal monsters.  The one movie I wanted was American Werewolf in London (Wolf Man), but that left all the streaming options at the end of Sept.  

....but we are going old/new again and we are in the 70s and the late 00s.  Both have Metascores in the 80s and I think there are a lot of interesting themes we can mine out of the discussion.  
Lots of great horror movies from the 70s. Burnt Offerings scared the #### out of me as a kid.

I am not going to dig too deep into the genre for our first horror pairing, especially since it's not a fave of a lot of people in the thread.  In the end, I also didn't want to throw a couple out there that I wouldn't be 100% behind.  I would say that these 2 movies would be near the top of a list I would do of personal favorite horror movies.  Too many from the 70s and 80s don't hold up to current viewings.  Anyway, I won't discuss too much why I paired these together in case people haven't seen them, but for October we will try:

Carrie (1976) - Looks like it's on Prime and NF according to my search.   94% on RT, 7.4 on imdb

Let the Right One In (2008) - This is the one that's on Kanopy, Magnolia (can try this for a week free and watch it), or Hoopla (looks like a similar concept to Kanopy).  Also available for rent for $2.99 on Amazon, youtube, Vudu, etc.   98% on RT and a surprising 5.0 on imdb.  
Meh

:lmao:    

I just realized another tie in.  How about for extra credit you do an unnecessary remake double feature staring Chloe Grace Moretz:  Let Me In and Carrie?? 

I’m excited, I haven’t seen either. I’ll update the thread when the booze wears off ;)

Users who are viewing this thread