What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (8 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I just watched LW as part of my Christmas movie collection in December so it’s out for another viewing and while I did grab BB the other day, it’s doubtful that I’ll actually watch it. 

I just watched LW as part of my Christmas movie collection in December so it’s out for another viewing and while I did grab BB the other day, it’s doubtful that I’ll actually watch it. 
May I ask why you bought Bad Boys but won't watch it? 

April Double Feature: Buddy Cop Standoff

Lethal Weapon vs Bad Boys

Both are available on Netflix. Due 4/27. 

People seemed to want to keep it light given the current state of the world so I figured some nostalgic action comedies might be the movie version of comfort food.
Lethal Weapon is a movie classic, it created standards in a number of ways. BB is fun with great comedic actors but... it's not in the same class IMO.

Bad Boys was watched last night.  :oldunsure:

Quickest I've gotten to a movie club pairing yet. 

Was going to watch Potrait of a Lady on Fire this am, but knew 0 about it, including that it's a foreign language movie, so I had to abandon that one.  Might pick it up during the 5yos nap time.  I assume that one @krista4 has seen.  
On my list but haven't made it to that one yet!  Will be interested in your thoughts if you take it up again.

Somehow every time I see the word Party capitalized I think of The Beach Boys' exciting album Party! with an exclamation point.

Bad boys was even worse than I remembered. I get angry watching it.

I do like Lethal Weapon and I will watch that again soon. It has probably been 1-2 years since I have seen it.

Bad boys was even worse than I remembered. I get angry watching it.

I do like Lethal Weapon and I will watch that again soon. It has probably been 1-2 years since I have seen it.

Lethal Weapon is a masterpiece. 

This is the first time I watched both movies in the same day. 
I am curious to watch these two. I’m surprised opinions are so far apart on them. However, it’s been 20 ye at a since I’ve seen either.

Discuss more later, but Bad Boys was exactly what I expected and remembered. However, Lethal Weapon wasn't quite as good as I remember.  IMO, though not bad, it's a 2nd or 3rd tier 80s action movie.   Not to the level as heavy hitters like Die Hard, Aliens, Beverly Hills Cop, but we aren't talking Van Damme or worse either.  

Discuss more later, but Bad Boys was exactly what I expected and remembered. However, Lethal Weapon wasn't quite as good as I remember.  IMO, though not bad, it's a 2nd or 3rd tier 80s action movie.   Not to the level as heavy hitters like Die Hard, Aliens, Beverly Hills Cop, but we aren't talking Van Damme or worse either.  
I would put it Lethal Weapon the same tier as Die Hard.

I would put it Lethal Weapon the same tier as Die Hard.
This goes along with my longer post earlier- I just don't think it holds up as well as the top tier ones, especially Riggs. 

The 80s were such a mishmash of movies, and it's hard to compare directly Lethal Weapon to other action movies. I am guessing it wouldn't land in my top 10 though if I sat down and tried a list.  

This goes along with my longer post earlier- I just don't think it holds up as well as the top tier ones, especially Riggs. 

The 80s were such a mishmash of movies, and it's hard to compare directly Lethal Weapon to other action movies. I am guessing it wouldn't land in my top 10 though if I sat down and tried a list.  
I would disagree. I do feel it holds up. 

I will say the one thing that bothered me in a funny way on this viewing was the realization that I am now older than Murtaugh. Everytime he said "I'm to old for this ####" it hurt me a little. 

I would disagree. I do feel it holds up. 
Cool.  Right up there with the others that I listed?  I am starting on a list right now out of curiosity.  

I got that you and I won't agree since you said you'd have it right with Die Hard, and I think Die Hard is about as good as action movies get.  

Here's what I came up with real quick during lunch.  I am fully aware that there is going to be some disagreement with what is "action" as we dip into sci-fi territory.   Again, I am just talking 80s for reference to LW.  

Tier 1:  Die Hard, The Terminator, Blade Runner, Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Top Gun.  

These are ones that I would have 0 hesitation recommending to people and just think they are great movies, period.  

Tier 2:  Predator, Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2, 48 Hours, Robocop, Return of the Jedi

This would be the personal tier of stuff that I think is damn good and holds up

Tier 3:   Running Man, They Live, Commando,  Red Dawn, Tango and Cash, First Blood, Batman, Escape from NY,  Superman 2

Now we are getting into some 80s cheese, but a lot of these I really like the concept for and would probably put in before LW if I had to watch something.  

Below that would be some funny 80s cheese that I have soft spot for, but realize they aren't good like Bloodsport or Road House.   So for me, LW would be in that 3rd tiers somewhere, so in the top 15-20 range.   These don't include war movies like Full Metal Jacket and Platoon either.   If you don't consider some of these action movies, then I could see it creeping towards the top 10.   I guess buddy cop movies aren't huge on this list, but I would definitely rather have Eddie Murphy on screen vs. Mel Gibson.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool.  Right up there with the others that I listed?  I am starting on a list right now out of curiosity.  

I got that you and I won't agree since you said you'd have it right with Die Hard, and I think Die Hard is about as good as action movies get.  
yes on beverly hills cop

no to Aliens (I would put this a tier above and a different genre)

Here's what I came up with real quick during lunch.  I am fully aware that there is going to be some disagreement with what is "action" as we dip into sci-fi territory.   Again, I am just talking 80s for reference to LW.  

Tier 1:  Die Hard, The Terminator, Blade Runner, Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Top Gun.  

These are ones that I would have 0 hesitation recommending to people and just think they are great movies, period.  

Tier 2:  Predator, Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2, 48 Hours, Robocop, Return of the Jedi

This would be the personal tier of stuff that I think is damn good and holds up

Tier 3:   Running Man, They Live, Commando,  Red Dawn, Tango and Cash, First Blood, Batman, Escape from NY,  Superman 2

Now we are getting into some 80s cheese, but a lot of these I really like the concept for and would probably put in before LW if I had to watch something.  

Below that would be some funny 80s cheese that I have soft spot for, but realize they aren't good like Bloodsport or Road House.   So for me, LW would be in that 3rd tiers somewhere, so in the top 15-20 range.   These don't include war movies like Full Metal Jacket and Platoon either.   If you don't consider some of these action movies, then I could see it creeping towards the top 10.   I guess buddy cop movies aren't huge on this list, but I would definitely rather have Eddie Murphy on screen vs. Mel Gibson.  
Splitting into to many genres for me.

As far as cops and robbers movies it is my opinion LW belongs in top tier.

Edit to add that bad boys does not deserve to be tiered.

Splitting into to many genres for me.

As far as cops and robbers movies it is my opinion LW belongs in top tier.

Edit to add that bad boys does not deserve to be tiered.
Fair.  I was thinking how it ranks for 80s action movies.  If we are narrowing it to cops and robbers, there's not a ton of those to begin with that are good, so by default it would be up there.  

Outside of Halloween, I’ve never been too into John Carpenter movies. I finally saw Escape from New York a few days ago and it wasn’t very good. I loved the cast but the movie was so silly. Give me my Bad Boys over Snake Pilsen.

Outside of Halloween, I’ve never been too into John Carpenter movies. I finally saw Escape from New York a few days ago and it wasn’t very good. I loved the cast but the movie was so silly. Give me my Bad Boys over Snake Pilsen.
That’s Plissken

Oh No you didn't

How dare you ! The Insolence!! The Audacity!!! The Unmitigated gall!! (grinch voice)

bad boys couldn't hold Snake's jock strap.

What about:

Big Trouble in Little China I liked it as a kid but haven’t seen it since I was probably 10

Christine Haven’t seen

The Thing (A classic in my opinion) Probably his best 80s movie but I wouldn’t call it a classic, a good updating of the original though 

Star man Don’t know that this is 

The Fog Solid movie

Village of the Damned I assume this is some kind of remake of the very good 60s movie

Starman is one of those movies I loved as a kid. I am not sure if it holds up or not and I am afraid to find out. Jeff Bridges plays an alien who of course teaches humans about goodness. It is probably over the top sappy but at the time I loved it.

You are correct about Village of the Damned starring Christopher Reeve and Kirstie Alley

What about:

Big Trouble in Little China I liked it as a kid but haven’t seen it since I was probably 10

Christine Haven’t seen

The Thing (A classic in my opinion) Probably his best 80s movie but I wouldn’t call it a classic, a good updating of the original though 

Star man Don’t know that this is 

The Fog Solid movie

Village of the Damned I assume this is some kind of remake of the very good 60s movie
You’ve never seen Christine? Wow 

Starman is one of those movies I loved as a kid. I am not sure if it holds up or not and I am afraid to find out. Jeff Bridges plays an alien who of course teaches humans about goodness. It is probably over the top sappy but at the time I loved it.

You are correct about Village of the Damned starring Christopher Reeve and Kirstie Alley
That made me laugh 

and Mother. I watched both yesterday. They were much better than the 2 we had for February. I especially liked Mother. 
Nice- I didn't see Mother on there.  

Agree- these 2 and Memories of murder are better than our double feature.  Imo mother is better than Parasite too.  Been awhile since I've seen The Host, so not sure there but plan to rewatch soon.  

and Mother. I watched both yesterday. They were much better than the 2 we had for February. I especially liked Mother. 
didnt finish. i wasnt connecting and, halfway thru, i asked myself if it ever paid off to watch an Aronofsky that didnt grab me by the face from the start and stopped when i got the answer

didnt finish. i wasnt connecting and, halfway thru, i asked myself if it ever paid off to watch an Aronofsky that didnt grab me by the face from the start and stopped when i got the answer
Different Mother- this is the Korean one about a cognitively impaired young adult who is charged with murder and his mother's quest to prove his innocence. 

It wasn't until about a year ago that I realized that the bad boys still ride because Marcus pulls off a one in a million shot at the end of every movie.

Users who are viewing this thread