What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (7 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I was in the mood for something dumb last night and the Great Escape II was too long so I found an episode of Hogan's Heroes on Dailymotion.  I vaguely remember one of the local stations showing late night reruns when I was in college but I didn't recall how terribly unfunny it was. 

Bob Crane's Hogan character has some similarities to Sefton and the Germans are more cartoonish versions of the German antagonists in Stalag 17.  I'm amazed that the creators of Hogan's Heroes were able to milk the lame setup for six seasons of stories.  The show ran on CBS for almost as long as the real World War II.
i had a roommate when i first moved down to Albq in '79 named Srinivasan who was doing graduate work in mathematics @ UNM (he ended up being a prof there for most of his career and became a good friend). we'd really not had much to say to each other except transactionally. part of my workweek routine was having my lunch to an hour of syndicated television - Hogan's Heroes and Mary Tyler Moore. after a few days, i'd notice Srini lurking outside the door and invited him in to watch. from then on, he'd come to the door @ 5, enter the room to my welcoming nod, sit wordlessly but laugh & howl like a jackal throughout all the Hogan escapades, then stand, bow & exit at its conclusion. i'll never forget that. we became friends much later, but neither of us ever mentioned those sessions.

Was Stalag 17 the first time we really saw that kind of frat house meets war style?
That's a good question.  Jails and military barracks had been used as settings for movies since the silent era but I don't remember seeing the French equivalent of the Bowery Boys in La Grande Illusion.

That's a good question.  Jails and military barracks had been used as settings for movies since the silent era but I don't remember seeing the French equivalent of the Bowery Boys in La Grande Illusion.
Right, Stalag clearly was inspired by Grand Illusion. That has some comedy in it (guy dressing up like a girl for example) but I don’t recall it being anywhere close to S17 which seems wholly committed to being funny. This is even before Catch 22 which I had considered to be the godfather of war comedy. I’m rethinking that now. 

Right, Stalag clearly was inspired by Grand Illusion. That has some comedy in it (guy dressing up like a girl for example) but I don’t recall it being anywhere close to S17 which seems wholly committed to being funny. This is even before Catch 22 which I had considered to be the godfather of war comedy. I’m rethinking that now. 
Aristophanes probably wrote something set in an Athenian military camp during the Peloponnesian War.

Certainly some war comedies before like Chaplin’s Shoulder Arms.  

Certainly some war comedies before like Chaplin’s Shoulder Arms.  
Haven’t seen that. No doubt, war comedy wasn’t invented with S17. Though there is a vibe that I doubt the CC movie had. Honestly, MASH and S17 almost have more in common with Animal House than they do most war movies. In many ways, the the children of those characters from S17 will have kids and when those kids reach young adulthood, instead of going to the war, they go to college. Instead of living in barracks, it’s a frat house. Same energy though.

Haven’t seen that. No doubt, war comedy wasn’t invented with S17. Though there is a vibe that I doubt the CC movie had. Honestly, MASH and S17 almost have more in common with Animal House than they do most war movies. In many ways, the the children of those characters from S17 will have kids and when those kids reach young adulthood, instead of going to the war, they go to college. Instead of living in barracks, it’s a frat house. Same energy though.
Yeah, I see what you are saying there. There was a Jack Benny WW2 movie (To Be or Not to Be), that may be closer — but I haven’t seen that one.

Yeah, I see what you are saying there. There was a Jack Benny WW2 movie (To Be or Not to Be), that may be closer — but I haven’t seen that one.
Abbott & Costello's first movie hit was Buck Privates in 1941.

To Be or Not to Be is great Lubitsch comedy.  It comes up on TCM pretty often and is well worth a viewing.  The comedy holds up better than Stalag 17 and Benny as "the great great Polish actor Joseph Tura" is hilarious.

ETA:  It's set during the beginning of WWII but 2BoN2B isn't really a war movie any more than Ninotchka is about Marxism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abbott & Costello's first movie hit was Buck Privates in 1941.

To Be or Not to Be is great Lubitsch comedy.  It comes up on TCM pretty often and is well worth a viewing.  The comedy holds up better than Stalag 17 and Benny as "the great great Polish actor Joseph Tura" is hilarious.

ETA:  It's set during the beginning of WWII but 2BoN2B isn't really a war movie any more than Ninotchka is about Marxism.
So, they call me Concentration Camp Erhardt, eh?

You really should check it out next time TCM plays it. One of the best 40s comedies on par with Philadelphia Story or  Preston Sturges stuff. 

While I'm complimenting good Germans, I should mention that Werner Klemperer as Colonel Klink was one of the highlights of Hogan's Heroes.  Richard Dawson also livened up every scene in appeared in.

I guess I’m really feeling these old school group of guy movies. Now I’m watching The Wild Bunch. I’ve seen it before but I think I was kind of buzzed and didn’t really pay that close attention. I’m really loving it so far.

Sorry again for dropping the ball on these movies.  Plan to make it up next month.   I watched 4 movies over last weekend, but 3 ended up being docs and one was Private Ryan with the son.   I think @Ilov80s and I need to converse about what the next pair is as we head into year 2.  

Sorry again for dropping the ball on these movies.  Plan to make it up next month.   I watched 4 movies over last weekend, but 3 ended up being docs and one was Private Ryan with the son.   I think @Ilov80s and I need to converse about what the next pair is as we head into year 2.  
No worries. I’ll message you but DQ made some suggestions and I think we worked out the next pairing. 

Sorry again for dropping the ball on these movies.  Plan to make it up next month.  
Me too. I didn't really participate 2 months in a row. Sports draft (judged two cats), Covid, work busy, and in the case of this month, the movies didn't interest me (typically don't like older war films). I remember not really liking the Great Escape much, and had no desire to see it again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
While the conversation for the last couple movie pairings has slowed down, we want to keep this going. I was actually considering a hiatus but @Don Quixote sent me a PM and was enthusiastic about setting up this week’s pairing. He’s our guest programmer for the month. 

So in honor of Juneteenth, we will be looking at Black Americans and the justice system. 

13th (2016): explores the history of racial inequality in the legal system of the United States, available on Netflix 

Just Mercy (2019): World-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson works to free a wrongly condemned death row prisoner. Available on Prime

Due 7/13

While the conversation for the last couple movie pairings has slowed down, we want to keep this going. I was actually considering a hiatus but @Don Quixote sent me a PM and was enthusiastic about setting up this week’s pairing. He’s our guest programmer for the month. 

So in honor of Juneteenth, we will be looking at Black Americans and the justice system. 

13th (2016): explores the history of racial inequality in the legal system of the United States, available on Netflix 

Just Mercy (2019): World-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson works to free a wrongly condemned death row prisoner. Available on Prime

Due 7/13
Both fantastic choices.  I have not watched Just Mercy, but read the book.

Due 7/13
I'm afraid 13th will make my head explode.

I've seen Just Mercy and will hold my thoughts until the time comes. I will admit to a man-crush on Michael B Jordan.

Both fantastic choices.  I have not watched Just Mercy, but read the book.
I need to read the book. Interested to read it after watching the movie.

I haven’t seen “I am Not Your Negro.” Going to go for the extra credit — but I was always a teacher’s pet.

Thanks for the link. Quite impressive how some of Wilder’s work has held up. Ace in the Hole is as cynical as anything made today. I would expect a 1959 movie about cross dressing to be really offensive in 2020 but it’s actually quite open minded and resists all of the easy jokes. 
Well, maybe not all but nobody's perfect.

I thought the suspense elements of Stalag 17 held up a lot better than the comedy.  The opening escape scene threw the audience right into the story.  Few old movies begin with an action sequence, at least compared to today.  It also did a great job with the build up and reveal of the mole.  I'm curious whether the light cord and chess piece were holdovers from the play.  Regardless, both props were used very effectively.

Due 7/13
Hiatus?

Don't you do it!! I got nowhere else to go!! I got nothin else.

I'm afraid 13th will make my head explode.

I've seen Just Mercy and will hold my thoughts until the time comes. I will admit to a man-crush on Michael B Jordan.
My mom keeps pressing me to watch Just Mercy, even though I've told her I'd rather focus on other movies since I've read that book.  Her latest argument was that you get to see Michael B. Jordan shirtless or naked (I can't remember which she said) and that makes it better than the book.  :lmao:  

My mom keeps pressing me to watch Just Mercy, even though I've told her I'd rather focus on other movies since I've read that book.  Her latest argument was that you get to see Michael B. Jordan shirtless or naked (I can't remember which she said) and that makes it better than the book.  :lmao:  
Well, I hope she said naked. 

:popcorn:

She's not wrong.

:lol:

I'm assuming she hasn't seen the Creed movies

I watched Just Mercy last night. While I do believe it is an important story to get out there and I am glad they did. I felt like the acting was lacking. All kidding aside I really do like Michael B Jordan with or without a shirt but he just did not get to the spot I wanted for this movie to have the emotional impact I wanted. I will add that as much as I like  MIchael B Jordan, Jamie Fox is very hit and miss with me and its more miss. I feel like he really missed on this film. I found that I kept wishing Denzel Washington would have been so much better although he may be getting long in the tooth for these roles now. 

I will still give this movie a good rating but it wont be for the acting.

I think Hurricane is a much better film that is about the same subject matter.

I watched the 13th today. I will definitely watch the extra credit movie but I am going to wait for a few days or week. Starting to feel overloaded on some of this.

The 13th was ok. I had heard of much of that before. I do like that there was criticism for both political parties. That will always make me take you more seriously. 

Both of this months movies were new to me and I am glad I was introduced to them. I guess the connection is pretty easy to see.

prosopis said:
I watched Just Mercy last night. While I do believe it is an important story to get out there and I am glad they did. I felt like the acting was lacking. All kidding aside I really do like Michael B Jordan with or without a shirt but he just did not get to the spot I wanted for this movie to have the emotional impact I wanted. I will add that as much as I like  MIchael B Jordan, Jamie Fox is very hit and miss with me and its more miss. I feel like he really missed on this film. I found that I kept wishing Denzel Washington would have been so much better although he may be getting long in the tooth for these roles now. 

I will still give this movie a good rating but it wont be for the acting.

I think Hurricane is a much better film that is about the same subject matter.
It has been awhile since I watched Hurricane, but I liked Just Mercy more than I remembered liking Hurricane. I think I read too much about the inaccuracies in Hurricane that detracted too much from the movie for me.

And Just Mercy had the added element of the attorney also overcoming racism in his own right (maybe the legal element appealed to me a bit more as an attorney).

Users who are viewing this thread