Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: The Last Black Man in San Francisco vs American Factory due 2/3

How would you rate Last Black Man in San Francisco?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Eephus said:

In accordance with rule #1, TCM is showing Seven Samurai tonight. It's better than Hateful Eight.  Check your local listings.

In my zone, it follows:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

It begins at 10:30 pm eastern whatever zone. I think I'll watch them both.

• Like 1

Just now, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

In my zone, it follows:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

It begins at 10:30 pm eastern whatever zone. I think I'll watch them both.

Was a hell of a lineup today. Wednesday’s this month on TCM have been peak cinema.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Was a hell of a lineup today. Wednesday’s this month on TCM have been peak cinema.

I am awful about remembering to check TCM. As I said above, I don't have cable; so I have to use my parents Spectrum online account for remote viewing. I don't think they even know such a thing exists.

Anyways, I watched The Trial and Chimes at Midnight a few months ago (wikkid recs) and have not logged in since. I need to bookmark the schedule page and keep an eye open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

In accordance with rule #1, TCM is showing Seven Samurai tonight. It's better than Hateful Eight.  Check your local listings.

:penalty:

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I caught about half of that documentary about great cinematographers.  I need to watch the rest before it goes off.

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Forgot this. Club Cornhole in Vegas?

12 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Good Fight Club discussion here.

I'm not up to date on the "generation" aspect. I was born '68. I think I saw it in '00 - when I was 32 or so. At the time, I was 8 years into a job that had become a major psychological burden on me. I hated it, but was addicted to the adrenaline it produced & the $ was good. Very conflicted. It also was a family biz, so I felt compelled to "see things through". (Note: Finally left job in 2009 and have been semi-retired since - things are much better now.)

When I saw the Narrator and his lack of fulfillment, I got it. Further, I really empathized with the "anti-consumerism". I spent so much time working, that I never spent the $. The house I lived in (and still do) was kinda like the dilapidated pile that Durden squatted in. (Note: House is fixed up now.) The point being, I was fed up with what was being fed to dudes my age, irt to life goals, work fulfillment, etc., & I got a kick out of the FU aspects.

Having said that, I never "bought into" the Durden philosophy; rather, I viewed it as a satire/metaphor/venting process. I have no clue if that was the intent of the makers, but it was funny to me - over the top - hyperbole. Catch-22 kinda hit me the same way.

I'll think more on it; I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

This is how I saw it. I was 33 when it came out, and I didn't think much of any message - just an over-the-top satire on "men aren't men anymore". Fun movie, good twist, little silly in some places. Weird / squirmy ending. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Forgot this. Club Cornhole in Vegas?

Fun fact for ya: Did you know in the original script he was supposed to say Dallas instead of Vegas?  Since this came out so close to JFK's assassination, they changed it.

13 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

yes - thank you for hyping it to us last week. it's a TCM celebration of cinematography (because they have a new doc on early DPs - worthy too) which continues next Wednesday beginning @ 6am w Doctor Zhivago, Bergman's Fanny & Alexander, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Cabaret, Cool Hand Luke, McCabe & Mrs Miller, Klute, The Last Picture Show and The Wild Bunch

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

yes - thank you for hyping it to us last week. it's a TCM celebration of cinematography (because they have a new doc on early DPs - worthy too) which continues next Wednesday beginning @ 6am w Doctor Zhivago, Bergman's Fanny & Alexander, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Cabaret, Cool Hand Luke, McCabe & Mrs Miller, Klute, The Last Picture Show and The Wild Bunch

That's another good lineup.

Tuesdays have been great this month too with Bette Davis as the Star of the Month.  

Just now, Don Quixote said:

Tuesdays have been great this month too with Bette Davis as the Star of the Month.  

Used to love her but, for some reason, can't abide watching her these days. When i was a kid, the only old movies i got to watch was the Dialing For Dollars movie at noon every day and my local station must have had a deal with Warner Bros cuz that was all we got. I loved it cuz that meant Bogie & Cagney & Eddie G & Garfield and Miss Davis, lotsa Bette Davis. She was just more adventurous/scandalous than the other actresses and i've always loved a goer. For some reason, though, all i see now is the pop-eyed histrionics and it bonks me out anymore. Damn shame - i loved all her going blind, loving tragically & finding herself in weird places.

14 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Used to love her but, for some reason, can't abide watching her these days. When i was a kid, the only old movies i got to watch was the Dialing For Dollars movie at noon every day and my local station must have had a deal with Warner Bros cuz that was all we got. I loved it cuz that meant Bogie & Cagney & Eddie G & Garfield and Miss Davis, lotsa Bette Davis. She was just more adventurous/scandalous than the other actresses and i've always loved a goer. For some reason, though, all i see now is the pop-eyed histrionics and it bonks me out anymore. Damn shame - i loved all her going blind, loving tragically & finding herself in weird places.

I've probably had the opposite, and come to appreciate her more over the years. She does not quite have the elite films of the other top stars (besides All About Eve, which is just about perfect as films go), but a pretty deep collection of good films.  Few actresses could pull off the conniving figure quite like her.  

1 minute ago, Don Quixote said:

I've probably had the opposite, and come to appreciate her more over the years. She does not quite have the elite films of the other top stars (besides All About Eve, which is just about perfect as films go), but a pretty deep collection of good films.  Few actresses could pull off the conniving figure quite like her.  

yes, i'm aware that most of my impatience w things that used to engage me is the tunnelizing effect of old age. won't be long before i'm down to griping only about disrupted syndication episode orders for Law & Order and Blue Bloods....

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Fun fact for ya: Did you know in the original script he was supposed to say Dallas instead of Vegas?  Since this came out so close to JFK's assassination, they changed it.

I did not know that, but it makes sense from a character perspective - as Slim did not seem as much a Vegas type.

I’m more of a Joan Crawford guy if we have to take sides 

10 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

yes, i'm aware that most of my impatience w things that used to engage me is the tunnelizing effect of old age. won't be long before i'm down to griping only about disrupted syndication episode orders for Law & Order and Blue Bloods....

Don't get me started on Law & Order! 🤬

20 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

You guys and your hoity toity TCM movies.   I'm going to fire up some Marvel movies on my Disney+ app!! 

Martin Scorsese reacted to this

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

2 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Kate Hepburn here.

No doubt. She’s the best.

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m more of a Joan Crawford guy if we have to take sides 

Reminds me that I thought the "Feud" miniseries that FX did a year or two ago was pretty dang good.  

38 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Reminds me that I thought the "Feud" miniseries that FX did a year or two ago was pretty dang good.  

I’m surprised I next watched that, it’s right up my alley.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:00 PM, The Man With No Name said:

The Anderson Tapes-

Was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices

The Anderson Tapes is showing tonight on TCM.

Check your local listings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eephus said:

The Anderson Tapes is showing tonight on TCM.

Check your local listings.

Sean Connery is one of my favs. I love his accent in TAT ...  Sean Connery - Master of Accents

Dog Day Afternoon precedes it. I hope to catch the double feature tonight. 👍

Bad news on the homefront. It seems that I can't login to my parents Spectrum account to watch TCM (or anything else). I just get an error page.

I think the Feds are on to my questionable activity.

I'm now going to bar all my doors and windows in case the FBI raids.

Wish me luck.

Edit: No. I really don't think the Feds are coming, rockaction. ;)

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow

On 11/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, rockaction said:

Grace Kelly by far and away...

Natalie Wood.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:04 PM, rockaction said:

Grace Kelly by far and away...

13 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

Natalie Wood.

Both are gorgeous but lacking a bit in the personality department IMO. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Both are gorgeous but lacking a bit in the personality department IMO. 

80s ... you know your ####, but ... WHIFF!!!!!

*Sorry. I am drinking an Irish Coffee. First alcohol for me since Derby eve. I was honoring my boy Sean. Now, I have to drink without him. :(

Wait!

I got more!

You mean to tell me that the dude famous for hookin' up with robot women is actually accusing these fine ladies of "lacking a bit in the personality department"?!?!?

WTF man?!?!

• Laughing 1

44 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

80s ... you know your ####, but ... WHIFF!!!!!

*Sorry. I am drinking an Irish Coffee. First alcohol for me since Derby eve. I was honoring my boy Sean. Now, I have to drink without him. :(

38 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Wait!

I got more!

You mean to tell me that the dude famous for hookin' up with robot women is actually accusing these fine ladies of "lacking a bit in the personality department"?!?!?

WTF man?!?!

I stand by it. Natalie Wood and Grace Kelly were quite bland, didn't have the chops when compared to the likes of Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I stand by it. Natalie Wood and Grace Kelley were quite bland, didn't have the chops when compared to the likes of Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis. 

Well .. if you couch in these terms - relative comparisons ok - but what about the robots?!

21 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Well .. if you couch in these terms - relative comparisons ok - but what about the robots?!

I didn't hook up with robot women, I hooked up with women who I met when I was helping the Mexican robot makers get out of Canada.

23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I stand by it. Natalie Wood and Grace Kelley were quite bland, didn't have the chops when compared to the likes of Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis. 

Looks, personality and acting chops with no mention of Lucille Ball. SMH.

• Like 2

and personality wise, they were standard drunk 19 year olds. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Looks, personality and acting chops with no mention of Lucille Ball. SMH.

Looks like we've got a nomination. I do believe I saw a Lucille Ball noir as well- was with George Saunders and Charles Coburn if I remember correctly. 

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I didn't hook up with robot women, I hooked up with women who I met when I was helping the Mexican robot makers get out of Canada.

:whoosh:

You expect me to believe that? Smuggling Mexican Robot Makers across the border? That's quite a noir you pitch!

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

and personality wise, they were standard drunk 19 year olds. 

Hmmm. The robots sounds better than in my day. We didn't even have heads on em yet.

Kudos to you!

11 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Looks like we've got a nomination. I do believe I saw a Lucille Ball noir as well- was with George Saunders and Charles Coburn if I remember correctly. 

Haven't seen that. I have seen The Dark Corner, multiple times. It's good

1 minute ago, The Man With No Name said:

Haven't seen that. I have seen The Dark Corner, multiple times. It's good

Looked it up- Lured. Also stars Boris Karloff and is oddly enough directed by Douglas Sirk. 

Never saw A Simple Plan, but I have watched 4 seasons of The Killing.  I’d put the first two seasons of that show up against anything as far as thrillers/dramas go.  You can pretty much skip the third and 4th seasons; they move on to a wholly different narrative and it’s just not the same.

It’s a shame they didn’t just continue onward with the indian reservation plot line, I thought that would have been a cool direction to go instead of abandoning the characters they’d developed.  

But that ending to season 2, I don’t think I’ve ever been as crushed by a tv show as I was by that.  I mean BB is up there, always was and will be an all-time great, but that 2-season storyline is phenomenal.  

4 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Never saw A Simple Plan, but I have watched 4 seasons of The Killing.  I’d put the first two seasons of that show up against anything as far as thrillers/dramas go.  You can pretty much skip the third and 4th seasons; they move on to a wholly different narrative and it’s just not the same.

It’s a shame they didn’t just continue onward with the indian reservation plot line, I thought that would have been a cool direction to go instead of abandoning the characters they’d developed.  

But that ending to season 2, I don’t think I’ve ever been as crushed by a tv show as I was by that.  I mean BB is up there, always was and will be an all-time great, but that 2-season storyline is phenomenal.  

Appreciate the thoughts but that's not The Killing to which we are referring. We are talking about the Stanley Kubrick movie.

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Appreciate the thoughts but that's not The Killing to which we are referring. We are talking about the Stanley Kubrick movie.

Yeah I knew that.  Just testing you all to make sure you were talking about the right one!  

• Like 1

Throwing this out for discussion... your Top Ten film noirs?  I’m going to put some thought into this one today/tonight.

• Like 2

wikkid's Top Ten Noirs

1. Chinatown - closest to perfect of any movie ever made

2. The Maltese Falcon - Huston set the tone for the form and no one's improved on it

3. The Long Goodbye - i should just shut up already about how much i love this film so i will

4. Double Indemnity - I grew up on Fred McMurray being the goofy dad, so watching him do this to a tee brings glee to me. and Billy Wilder's sense of dramedy is ideal for the form

5. Lady From Shanghai - the Welles camera angles fit the genre like they were the original idea

6. Body Heat - nothing i don't love about this film

7. Farewell My Lovely (1975) - Hot take: Bob Mitchum is a better Marlowe than Bogie. He's about 10 years too old in this to be perfect, but his voice fits Chandler's words like Stephen Fry's fits J.K.Rowling's.

8. The Third Man - greatest nightful dreamscape

9. Out of the Past - next to County Mayo Ireland, Bridgeport and the East Walker River country is my favorite place on earth and is just such a lovely sorbet between the heaping courses of sinfulness in this classic.

10. Laura - la da da dee da daaaa da dum

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 4