What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you care who the VP is on the Presidential Ticket? (1 Viewer)

Does the VP candidate matter to you on the Presidential ticket?

• Yes

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters
Is the VP practically irrelevant today?  Is the addition of a particular politician the the Presidential ticket make you more likely to vote for the Presidential candidate?  Like if you weren't sure about Trump, but because he added Mike Pence as his VP you'll vote for him, or conversely you weren't sure about Trump but because he added Mike Pence as his VP you won't vote for him.

Maybe this should go in the Politics thread, apologies if the mods think so.  I was putting it out here because I think there is a broader audience.

I can't imagine a scenario where the VP choice would convince me to vote for a candidate I was skeptical of.

But it could absolutely be the nail the coffin for a candidate that I was just lukewarm about.
So in this situation are you assuming you are lukewarm on all the candidates and then the VP would be the "swing vote" that would push you to one or the other?  At the time the VP is announce the candidates have already won their party's nomination so there is a very narrow field already.

So in this situation are you assuming you are lukewarm on all the candidates and then the VP would be the "swing vote" that would push you to one or the other?  At the time the VP is announce the candidates have already won their party's nomination so there is a very narrow field already.
If it's Trump vs. a Democrat that I'm skeptical of the VP pick could push me to vote third party.

Deepster said:
I didn't vote Republican in 2008 because I couldn't risk Sarah Palin potentially running our country.
This applies to me as well.  I don't vote by party but find that I most often align with the Republican candidate - not that time.

Yes, not so much from a succession standpoint, but from a skill/experience value-add.

We live in a time where medical science and health care advancements removes a lot of the issues we saw where VPs filled in for dying presidents. And by "a lot" it's happened, what, 3 times? We won't see deaths from pneumonia (Harrison), eating fruit and milk and developing "illness" (Taylor), even the heart attacks and cerebral hemorrhages we saw strike down Harding and Roosevelt are somewhat mitigated in today's day and age with general awareness, preventive care, and much better reactive medicine.

All other instances of the VP stepping in had to do with assassination and resignation.

So rather than worry about a president being over 70, I worry more about whether the VP has a solid track record and expertise that compliments the President's, or adds a level of knowledge and skill that the President may not necessarily have.

Biden, for example, didn't add much in my mind to what Obama brought to the table, but didn't detract so didn't give a hoot. Cheney clearly did add value and skill that GWB sorely lacked so could see why him being a VP provided a good underlying additional skill set. I really thought McCain was a really qualified candidate but Palin with her faltering record as Alaskan governor, inexperience at a national/international stage, and often coming across as unpolished, almost detracted from McCain's strengths.

The only time it has made me change my vote was 2008.  I was leaning pretty strongly towards McCain until he selected Palin.   That was a deal-killer.

As an independent, if there was a candidate I really liked who didn't win the nomination, I would be more likely to vote for the ticket that did carry that person. It wouldn't be the only thing I would take into consideration, but it would certainly have some weight.

If I was one of these people who feels certain that my party is the correct one and the other party is the wrong one, it wouldn't influence me in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread