What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where does Cinderella rank in greatest "hair band" rock groups of all time? (1 Viewer)

I agree strongly with this. "Hair band" implies some "glam."  That rules out Van Halen, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard.
Not sure how you can watch their early videos and not see glam.  Style wise they moved away from it, and were able to survive (popularly).  But some of the top bands being listed sure fall into the "pop rock" sound if you ignore their looks, so I can't see how Bon Jovi doesn't qualify.

Not sure how you can watch their early videos and not see glam.  Style wise they moved away from it, and were able to survive (popularly).  But some of the top bands being listed sure fall into the "pop rock" sound if you ignore their looks, so I can't see how Bon Jovi doesn't qualify.
Yeah, I think I have to stand corrected on Bon Jovi.

top 5

1.  Def Leppard 

2.  Ratt

3.  Motley Crue

4.  Tesla

5.  Cinderella
:no:  

IMO Tesla was by far the best band to come out of the late 80's, but they shouldn't be considered a hair band.  

Think it was the Psychotic Supper tour, all these other hair bands had these elaborate stage entrances at the time... curtain drops, lights, pyro, etc., and Tesla just walked out on stage in their jeans  and t-shirts while the house lights were still up, waved to the crowd, plugged in, and just started tearing it up. Always loved that. 

Great band, but not a hair band. 

Wearing a tuxedo doesn't make me James Bond.

Bon Jovi can dress up in glam wear, but they're not glam attitude. 

And glam had a little element of androgyny too - Nikki Sixx, Bobby Doll, Taime Down...Richie Sambora?

What an awesomely silly discussion! :headbang:

Two more reactions to things said upthread: Faster #####cat has some good stuff. And Rolling Stone magazine is the worst.

Don't Change That Song

Bathroom Wall

Shooting You Down

House of Pain

IvanKaramazov said:
I agree strongly with this. "Hair band" implies some "glam."  That rules out Van Halen, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard.
I think there are a few bands (Crue, VH, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc) who had their "phase" of going glam, but their true nature is not glam.  Hell, Aerosmith even had that brief phase of doing the glam thing in the 80s.  But they sure as hell aren't a hair band.

Wearing a tuxedo doesn't make me James Bond.

Bon Jovi can dress up in glam wear, but they're not glam attitude. 

And glam had a little element of androgyny too - Nikki Sixx, Bobby Doll, Taime Down...Richie Sambora?

What an awesomely silly discussion! :headbang:

Two more reactions to things said upthread: Faster #####cat has some good stuff. And Rolling Stone magazine is the worst.

Don't Change That Song

Bathroom Wall

Shooting You Down

House of Pain
This is key here, it is silly to try to split these hairs (see what I did there?).

Obviously Wikipedia isn't the be all end all source, but i think their summary is pretty good:

"Glam metal (also known pejoratively as hair metal and often used synonymously with pop metal) is a subgenre of heavy metal, which features pop-influenced hooks and guitar riffs, and borrows from the fashion of 1970s glam rock."

They list Bon Jovi as belonging to this genre.

Think about this, what other genre of music is there that people argue if they belong to it not because of the music they play, but what they wore?  Comparing some of the bands musically, there are some with similar music, but people argue if they actually belong to the same genre (I would argue that Poison and Bon Jovi's late 80s  library are strikingly similar).

I think there are a few bands (Crue, VH, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc) who had their "phase" of going glam, but their true nature is not glam.  Hell, Aerosmith even had that brief phase of doing the glam thing in the 80s.  But they sure as hell aren't a hair band.
Any metal band (that wasn’t thrash or death or other hardcore metal) went through a “glam” phase in the 80s.  It was what was selling. 

The bands we seem to be labeling as hair metal are those that only had a hit record (yes I said record) during that 80s hair band metal era.  

Motley Crue, Bob Jovi and Van Halen all teased out their hair and did whatever they had to in order to sell records.  Once that died down a bit, they bought less Aquanet and moved on to their music.  Bands like Skid Row, Poison and Warrant aren’t in the spotlight any more so all we remember is the big hair and makeup.  

hair band rules:

some or all have to look like chicks

they must have a rock ballad, usually depressing and super cliche

drummer needs to be like animal from muppetts

at least one member is/was a heroin junkie

lots of treble in the production mix

must have been featured on MTV  in the 80's   If you weren't on MTV in the 80's you aren't a hair band.  You are nothing

hair band rules:

some or all have to look like chicks

they must have a rock ballad, usually depressing and super cliche

drummer needs to be like animal from muppetts

at least one member is/was a heroin junkie

lots of treble in the production mix

must have been featured on MTV  in the 80's   If you weren't on MTV in the 80's you aren't a hair band.  You are nothing
Interesting criteria. Although, Ozzy qualifies on all those criteria.  Exhibit A is the Mama I’m Coming Home video then check out “‘Thank God for the Bomb’ Live 1986” for the hair.  They all did it in the 80s.  

The second criteria means Great White is the greatest hair band in history.  

Not sure where to put G n R in all this.  

What about them?

Twisted Sister is hard Rock.

Whitesnake is rooted in it's Deep Purple past.

Warrant is just terrible.

Quiet Riot is heavy metal.

Bon Jovi.... Close but too pop.

Calling Def Leppard a hair band is a disservice to them and the term. They were an awesome rock band until they went pop with Hysteria (a great album nonetheless).
None of those are hair bands???  But Motley Crue IS a hair band?  doesn't compute.    Seems like defining what constitutes a "hair band" is far too subjective to really have the discussion.

I'd argue that Bon Jovi is the quintessential hair band of the 80s.

None of those are hair bands???  But Motley Crue IS a hair band?  doesn't compute.    Seems like defining what constitutes a "hair band" is far too subjective to really have the discussion.

You'd be wrong.  Poison has that title.  Not saying they are the best but they are the perfect example of what a hair band was. 

You'd be wrong.  Poison has that title.  Not saying they are the best but they are the perfect example of what a hair band was. 
I'd actually say Warrant for one reason.  A very select  few of Poison's songs could be argued as decent artistically.  Warrant's entire catalogue was complete schlock, another signature of the ultimate hair band.

Interesting criteria. Although, Ozzy qualifies on all those criteria.  Exhibit A is the Mama I’m Coming Home video then check out “‘Thank God for the Bomb’ Live 1986” for the hair.  They all did it in the 80s.  

The second criteria means Great White is the greatest hair band in history.  

Not sure where to put G n R in all this.  
i would say we could easily add to the list.  one thing i personally left off is the idea that to qualify as a hair band, you had to start or peak in the 80's.   that would eliminate 60's, 70's bands from the discussion, ie aerosmith, ozzy, van halen. 

another side note here on this very topic, those of us that grew up in the 70's and 80's (current 50 yr olds+) would have a very different opinion of who is a "hair band" vs those that are younger that didn't grow up during this era.   I'm more in line with Andy Dufresne way of thinking here than some of the others.   Def Leppard is a great example.   They for sure would not qualify in my book as a hair band simply because that's not how they started out.  They were a stadium rock band.

Bon Jovi i would put in a similar subcategory of NOT hair band, but pop/rock band instead.   They were a top 40 band but they weren't trying to sell themselves the way the hair bands did.  At the time MTV was heavily airing most Bon Jovi stuff, and they were selling out stadiums.

the hair band scene came along right after Motley Crue went big.  I would argue they were the first HAIR BAND, but imo they are the Led Zeppelin of hair bands.   The others that came along after i feel like they were largely copying a format that Motley Crue created.   And then poof, about 5 years later it was all gone.

great time to be a kid though

I'd actually say Warrant for one reason.  A very select  few of Poison's songs could be argued as decent artistically.  Warrant's entire catalogue was complete schlock, another signature of the ultimate hair band.
I dunno. “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” isn’t the worst song from that era/genre 

someone in my office just made the comment that KISS started the hair rock scene.

interesting thought,  anyone?

I acquiesced to MC being a hair band because it's close enough to not argue over. But press me and I'd say they're NOT.

The universe of hair bands is a lot smaller than people think, because it really wasn't all that mainstream. Only very few hit it big but a lot of big name bands stole elements of hair bandery.

And you should know that I'm the self proclaimed arbiter of the arbitrary. 

I acquiesced to MC being a hair band because it's close enough to not argue over. But press me and I'd say they're NOT.

The universe of hair bands is a lot smaller than people think, because it really wasn't all that mainstream. Only very few hit it big but a lot of big name bands stole elements of hair bandery.

And you should know that I'm the self proclaimed arbiter of the arbitrary. 
Dokken?

Kix?

Babaylon A.D.?

Bang Tango? 

Steelheart? 

i would say we could easily add to the list.  one thing i personally left off is the idea that to qualify as a hair band, you had to start or peak in the 80's.   that would eliminate 60's, 70's bands from the discussion, ie aerosmith, ozzy, van halen. 

another side note here on this very topic, those of us that grew up in the 70's and 80's (current 50 yr olds+) would have a very different opinion of who is a "hair band" vs those that are younger that didn't grow up during this era.   I'm more in line with Andy Dufresne way of thinking here than some of the others.   Def Leppard is a great example.   They for sure would not qualify in my book as a hair band simply because that's not how they started out.  They were a stadium rock band.

Bon Jovi i would put in a similar subcategory of NOT hair band, but pop/rock band instead.   They were a top 40 band but they weren't trying to sell themselves the way the hair bands did.  At the time MTV was heavily airing most Bon Jovi stuff, and they were selling out stadiums.

the hair band scene came along right after Motley Crue went big.  I would argue they were the first HAIR BAND, but imo they are the Led Zeppelin of hair bands.   The others that came along after i feel like they were largely copying a format that Motley Crue created.   And then poof, about 5 years later it was all gone.

great time to be a kid though
Wait, so Bon Jovi wasn't a hair band because they got big MTV airplay and was selling out stadiums, but Motley Crue is a hair band? :crazy:  

THIS. 

the vids of their concerts, featuring all types of onstage female fan debauchery, prove it in spades. 
They are so great that I cannot even post single video on this board, as a TimeOut would follow immediately. 

They are so great that I cannot even post single video on this board, as a TimeOut would follow immediately. 
there's a reddit sub by the name of GGWO (GirlsGoneWildOnstage) -  i believe Steel Panther concert clips are 8 of the top 10 most upvoted ...

:popcorn:

Trixter - almost hair, Give It To Me Good
Any poor soul that had to ride in my car around '90 heard this song far too much.  Loved it in a "should be a guilty pleasure but don't feel guilty about it" kinda way.  I bought the cassette single, and Trixter was so hard up for material, there was no B side.  So, I taped "High Enough" (by Damn Yankees) onto the blank side.  The two songs kept playing on a constant loop. That taped played over and over in my car ad naseum more times than I can count.

Skipdog77 said:
:no:  

IMO Tesla was by far the best band to come out of the late 80's, but they shouldn't be considered a hair band.  

Think it was the Psychotic Supper tour, all these other hair bands had these elaborate stage entrances at the time... curtain drops, lights, pyro, etc., and Tesla just walked out on stage in their jeans  and t-shirts while the house lights were still up, waved to the crowd, plugged in, and just started tearing it up. Always loved that. 

Great band, but not a hair band. 
Agreed; a very stripped down sound. Their albums always stated, "no machines". :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread