What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Damion Willis, Bengals (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Bengals WR Damion Willis will start at X while A.J. Green (ankle) is sidelined.

Willis will at least be on the field when the Bengals deploy three-receiver sets, but he could even be out there in two-wide formations, too. It's a role that has some fantasy relevance, though it's safe to call Willis a total projection as an undrafted free agent out of Troy. Willis does check some boxes as a prospect with his size (6'3/201), speed (4.51 forty), and senior year production (876 yards and 10 touchdowns).

SOURCE: Bengals.com

Aug 25, 2019, 3:43 PM ET

I logged 19 draft lists 25-deep prior to the NFL draft.  Willis wasn't on any of the lists.

Preston Williams and Jakobi Meyers both showed up a fair amount - Meyers got an 8th place spot, Williams's highest was 12th.

I'm putting in minimal bids, but I don't expect anything.

I got him in all my deep dynasty leagues for barely any faab.  Everyone is sleeping on this guy if he vaulted to the top of the depth chart so quickly. A rookie beating out vets before the 3rd preseason game even happens is impressive to me.

Anyone who gets a shot to start for his team, especially in that X reciever role, is worth rostering to see what he does with the opportunity.  There is a new coach and new offensive scheme as well, so opportunites for regular targets should be up for grabs for those who earn them.  I'm going to grab Malone and Ross where I can too and just see what happens with this. 

Something I keep in mind is why dominator rating and breakout age work as predictors.  Those are basically statistical measures of coaches' opinions.  Coach puts you in over older more experienced players and gives you the ball a lot?  You're probably good.  Who would know better than the coach who has been at every practice?  The same thing applies here if he's already being declared the starter after being a rookie UDFA. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got him in all my deep dynasty leagues for barely any faab.  Everyone is sleeping on this guy if he vaulted to the top of the depth chart so quickly. A rookie beating out vets before the 3rd preseason game even happens is impressive to me.

Anyone who gets a shot to start for his team, especially in that X reciever role, is worth rostering to see what he does with the opportunity.  There is a new coach and new offensive scheme as well, so opportunites for regular targets should be up for grabs for those who earn them.  I'm going to grab Malone and Ross where I can too and just see what happens with this. 

Something I keep in mind is why dominator rating and breakout age work as predictors.  Those are basically statistical measures of coaches' opinions.  Coach puts you in over older more experienced players and gives you the ball a lot?  You're probably good.  Who would know better than the coach who has been at every practice?  The same thing applies here if he's already being declared the starter after being a rookie UDFA. 
This is an ideal situation. We'll get a good look at Willis which helps vet him.

Right now, I like him in the same realm as Preston Williams & KeeSean Johnson.

Willis was very impressive this preseason. This cat has some skills.

This is an ideal situation. We'll get a good look at Willis which helps vet him.

Right now, I like him in the same realm as Preston Williams & KeeSean Johnson.

Willis was very impressive this preseason. This cat has some skills.
Agreed.  It's always nice when these guys get an early opportunity so we have a good idea of what we have. 

Winning the camp battle is an excellent start.  Willis seems particularly impressive in that he must have beaten out their entire depth chart except for presumably Boyd, who they probably wanted to stay in his role, as an undrafted rookie.  The Bengals have not been amazing talent evaluators, but with a new staff I'm withholding judgment there. 

Agreed.  It's always nice when these guys get an early opportunity so we have a good idea of what we have. 

Winning the camp battle is an excellent start.  Willis seems particularly impressive in that he must have beaten out their entire depth chart except for presumably Boyd, who they probably wanted to stay in his role, as an undrafted rookie.  The Bengals have not been amazing talent evaluators, but with a new staff I'm withholding judgment there. 
Willis could very well be the starting X in 2020 if they don't resign AJ (not to mention the future X).

If Willis shows well while AJ is out, he then becomes a legit dynasty asset.

I took a flier on this guy but he barely showed up and has now disappeared. Safe to cut bait I assume?

Yeah I'm tossing him back into the FA pool.  He was definitely worth the flier after winning that job out of camp - too bad he didnt do anything with it.

Week 5:  4 receptions 38 yards.  60% of snaps and 4 targets. 

9 for 82 on 13 targets for the season. Low ypr. 

Users who are viewing this thread