What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Top 22 Rookies for 2013 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

2010: 65 receptions, 792 yards, 12.2 6 TD

2011: 111 receptions, 1,292, yards, 11.6 15 TD

2012: 73 receptions, 813 yards, 11.1 11 TD

Comparison: Lance Moore

Notes:

-Got demoted to the #2 option when Marqise Lee emerged late in 2011.

Analysis:

Woods has a small frame, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends measuring under 6'0” at the NFL Combine. Great hands catcher, rarely drops passes. Very quick player, possesses elite quickness. Only average speed when compared to his quickness (perhaps a 4.48/40 type of a player). Not a great YAC player. Sometimes he makes defenders miss and sometimes he goes down very easily versus a college DB. Not a very physical player, can get manhandled. Ran many short routes and gimmick type plays at USC.

FF wise:

-Woods has some flaws to his game and he might be limited to slot duty in the NFL. However, some WRs have excelled at the next level in the slot. If he can gain strength he might be able to play outside. In a perfect scenario, WR2 in FF; more than likely a WR3 at best. I would probably look elsewhere in your rookie drafts.
Woods had a very disappointing combine. While I didn't agree with others that thought he was very athletic, I expected him to be quicker.Woods: 6-0 3/8 201, 4.51, 33.5 vertical, 4.4 short shuttle, 7.15 3 cone, 9'9 broad jump
Honestly not as bad as I thought it might be. His game isn't built on speed so 4.51 is decent for him, but the SS and 3 cone were terrible.FWIW, Golden Tate has a similarly disappointing combine - 4.42, 7.12, 4.34, 35" vertical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woods looked good when it came time to actually run some routes and catch the football. IIRC he was a 46 second guy in the 400m as a high school kid, so he's not lacking for speed. He's just more of a glider than a power sprinter, which is more what the 40 is all about. Stylistically, I think he's kind of similar to guys like Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Bernard Berrian, Reggie Wayne Rueben Randle, and Chad Johnson. Leaner outside WR who runs smooth routes. Woods isn't as explosive as the players I listed and I don't think he's as good laterally as guys like Randle and Wayne. I'm not sky high on him, but he has a chance to be an effective player if he isn't relied on to be a Brandon Marshall-like target hog. He's a classic jack-of-all-trades #2 WR.

Woods looked good when it came time to actually run some routes and catch the football. IIRC he was a 46 second guy in the 400m as a high school kid, so he's not lacking for speed. He's just more of a glider than a power sprinter, which is more what the 40 is all about. Stylistically, I think he's kind of similar to guys like Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Bernard Berrian, Reggie Wayne Rueben Randle, and Chad Johnson. Leaner outside WR who runs smooth routes. Woods isn't as explosive as the players I listed and I don't think he's as good laterally as guys like Randle and Wayne. I'm not sky high on him, but he has a chance to be an effective player if he isn't relied on to be a Brandon Marshall-like target hog. He's a classic jack-of-all-trades #2 WR.
Agreed on the #2 WR projection, I just wonder if he's going to be a slot guy too. If we're looking for #2 NFL WRs...i'd rather have DeAndre Hopkins than Robert Woods.

What is he? 6' 190? That is outside WR size. Not everyone is going to be 6'3" or run a 4.3. With 32 teams and roughly 64 starting receivers, there is room in the league for a guy like this to carve out a productive niche. I'd say the same for a guy like Patton or Wheaton. They aren't going to be your dominant #1 WR, but they can still have good careers.

What is he? 6' 190? That is outside WR size. Not everyone is going to be 6'3" or run a 4.3. With 32 teams and roughly 64 starting receivers, there is room in the league for a guy like this to carve out a productive niche. I'd say the same for a guy like Patton or Wheaton. They aren't going to be your dominant #1 WR, but they can still have good careers.
Never said you have to be 6'3 or run a 4.3 to play on the outside, but you better be able to beat press coverage. As a total package, I have concerns of Woods being successful enough in the NFL to be a factor in FF.

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

Woods has a small frame, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends measuring under 6'0” at the NFL Combine. Great hands catcher, rarely drops passes. Very quick player, possesses elite quickness. Only average speed when compared to his quickness (perhaps a 4.48/40 type of a player). Not a great YAC player. Sometimes he makes defenders miss and sometimes he goes down very easily versus a college DB. Not a very physical player, can get manhandled. Ran many short routes and gimmick type plays at USC.

FF wise:

-Woods has some flaws to his game and he might be limited to slot duty in the NFL. However, some WRs have excelled at the next level in the slot. If he can gain strength he might be able to play outside. In a perfect scenario, WR2 in FF; more than likely a WR3 at best. I would probably look elsewhere in your rookie drafts.
Woods had a very disappointing combine. While I didn't agree with others that thought he was very athletic, I expected him to be quicker.Woods: 6-0 3/8 201, 4.51, 33.5 vertical, 4.4 short shuttle, 7.15 3 cone, 9'9 broad jump
Honestly not as bad as I thought it might be. His game isn't built on speed so 4.51 is decent for him, but the SS and 3 cone were terrible.FWIW, Golden Tate has a similarly disappointing combine - 4.42, 7.12, 4.34, 35" vertical.
Plenty of WRs who did poorly in the 3 cone drill went on to be good NFL WRs recently, Roddy White (7.12), Miles Austin (7.09), Dez Bryant (7.10), Sidney Rice (7.09), Justin Blackmon (7.13); and there's a similar list for those who did poor on the SS drill, Dez Bryant (4.46), Kenny Britt (4.47), Marques Colston (4.44). I'm not convinced doing poorly on either of those drills means much at all.

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

FF wise:

Plenty of WRs who did poorly in the 3 cone drill went on to be good NFL WRs recently, Roddy White (7.12), Miles Austin (7.09), Dez Bryant (7.10), Sidney Rice (7.09), Justin Blackmon (7.13); and there's a similar list for those who did poor on the SS drill, Dez Bryant (4.46), Kenny Britt (4.47), Marques Colston (4.44). I'm not convinced doing poorly on either of those drills means much at all.
I don't think it's healthy to jump to many conclusions based on the underwear olympics. However, when I have concerns about a player and it's backed up by a poor combine, it's a red flag. I'll be shocked if Robert Woods is anything better than a WR3 in FF.

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

FF wise:

I don't think it's healthy to jump to many conclusions based on the underwear olympics. However, when I have concerns about a player and it's backed up by a poor combine, it's a red flag. I'll be shocked if Robert Woods is anything better than a WR3 in FF.
I think it safe to safe he doesn't have a very high ceiling, but I also think he's going to make it in the NFL as a #2. For fantasy purposes he's not that exciting but as a late 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick it's safe choice.

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

FF wise:

Every last one of these guys is physical beast that can manhandle dbs when the ball is thrown their way. That isn't woods' game.

Three cone drill and short shuttle have no relationship with NFL success for WRs. When I looked at the data (going back to the 1999 draft), if anything the correlation was in the wrong direction.

9) Marquess Wilson WR Washington State

6-4 183

2010: 55 receptions, 1006 yards, 18.3 6 TD

2011: 82 receptions, 1388 yards, 16.9 12 TD

2012: 52 receptions, 813 yards, 15.6 5 TD

Comparison: Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson

Notes:

-Quit the team with 3 games left in 2012, due to problems with HC Mike Leach.

Analysis:

Long frame, but also skinny (6-4 183). Great natural hands catcher, but will drop some easy passes at times. Good ability to high point the football and battle a DB, has a "my ball" mentality. 4.4ish type speed and has burst with the football in his hands. Great sideline awareness to keep his feet in bounds and make lot of plays in tight areas. Will make spectacular receptions very few players can make, reminds me of Brandon Lloyd in that fashion. Good route runner that can set up defenders. Great technique to get off the LOS, uses his hands and pad level well. Wilson needs to add muscle to his long frame if he wants to take his game to the next level. He's more of a technician than physical specimen, but he’s a good athlete. Has a good natural instinct for the WR position.

FF wise:

- Very little to dislike about his game, just unsure of how his off the field decisions will affect his draft status. Wilson can be a WR2 in the NFL and in FF if he improves his attitude.

10) Da’Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech

6-3 205

2010: 11 receptions, 167 yards, 15.1 2 TDs

2011: 67 receptions, 1040 yards, 15.5 9 TDs

2012: 61 receptions, 893 yards, 14.6 10 TD

Comparison: Terrell Owens

Notes:

-Kicked off of University of Tennessee football team and transferred to Tennessee Tech.

Analysis:

Big strong WR that can overpower/bully defenders, uses his frame to box out defenders. Good athlete; Rogers is a high 4.4's to low 4.5's type of WR, but speed isn't his game (he isn't slow by any means, just not a blazer). Difficult to bring down in the open field due to his strength; he will run through and drag defenders for extra yardage. Good body control and is enough aware of the sideline to get his feet down. Good hands, but body catches too much. Led SEC in receiving as a true sophomore.

FF wise: Da’Rick Rodgers physically belongs in the NFL. If he gets his head on straight, he can be an NFL #1 WR and FF factor. How good? Depends on his attitude because he has a WR1/2 ceiling in FF.
These are two players that are coming in off the radar and performed well today.Da'Rick Rogers: 6-2 217, 4.52(official), 39.5 vertical, 11 foot broad jump, 6.71 3 cone, 4.06 Short Shuttle. Only area he struggled was bench press 10 reps.

-Rogers will be under the radar because of character concerns. The good news is that he's a great buy low and your FF locker room doesn't care about his character.

Marquess Wilson: 6-3 194, 4.51(official), 34.5 vertical, 10 feet 1 inch broad jump, 6.65 3 cone, 4.33 Short Shuttle

Wilson was never going to be one of the best WR athletes at the combine, but he showed he wasn't far off. He's one of the more natural WRs in this class and looked great in a gauntlet. He quit the team with 3 games to go, which allows him to be a buy low as well.
I've had Wilson stashed in a dynasty league for a year. I agree, I thought he looked good today. I was concerned he would be rusty having sat out for a while and not being part of a team. Athletically he was about where I thought he would be. Better yet, he was in shape. In the positional drills I thought he looked like one of the most fluid guys there. Woods was another that stood out IMO. I think Wilson should go in the 3rd round or so in the draft.

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

FF wise:

How many of those players were only 6-0, 200 and poorly in both?

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

FF wise:

How many of those players were only 6-0, 200 and poorly in both?
Justin Blackmon's combine numbers are pretty similar to Woods' across the board :shrug: But really, there's only a handful of players that come close to resembling Woods' height/weight/SS/3C numbers, so probably not the best way to make any conclusions.

'ZWK said:
Three cone drill and short shuttle have no relationship with NFL success for WRs. When I looked at the data (going back to the 1999 draft), if anything the correlation was in the wrong direction.
When looked at in a individually, probably not. Taller WRs won't be successful in 3 cone or SS, it's difficult for them to get low to the ground and change direction. I think these tests are more important for shorter WRs because they need to be more precise route runners to gain separation. I use 3 cone and SS when my eyes tell me something is wrong with a player succeeding at the next level.

Post combine update:

1) Keenan Allen WR Cal (same)

2) Eddie Lacy RB Alabama (same)

3) Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee (same)

4) Tavon Austin WR West Virginia (+2)

5) DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson (-1)

6) Gio Bernard RB North Carolina (-1)

7) Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame (same)

8) Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech (+2)

9) Marquess Wilson WR Washington State (same)

10) Justin Hunter WR Tennessee (+1)

11) Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas (-3)

12) Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State (same)

13) Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina (+1)

14) Leveon Bell RB Michigan State (-1)

15) Robert Woods WR USC (+1)

16) Stedman Bailey WR West Virginia (+2)

17) Montee Ball RB Wisconsin (same)

18) Terrance Williams WR Baylor (+1)

19) Geno Smith QB West Virginia (+1)

20) Zac Stacy RB Vandy (+1)

21) Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford (-6)

22) Quinton Patton WR Louisiana Tech (NR)

23) Christine Michael RB Texas A&M (NR)

24) Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA (NR)

Post combine update:

wont even rank Knile Davis? just curious as to your thinking there

He was considered an udfa up until this weekend, now people have him in the 1st round of their rookie drafts.

Post combine update:

wont even rank Knile Davis? just curious as to your thinking there
He ran fast in the underwear olympics, but I had concerns about his game way back in 2010 and they continued over the years. 1) Injuries: Broke his left ankle his senior year of HS, reinjured it his freshman season(but rehabbed it enough to get some carries), Junior year broken left ankle. He's also broken two collarbones. 2) Production: Knile Davis had an excellent 2010, but the rest of his college career is underwhelming. He looked pretty bad in 2012 and got benched for Dennis Johnson(a non-invite to the combine). 3) Game: Davis is big and fast. His lateral agility is poor, he has to stop his feet to make people miss. When he does this, it takes too long to get going again and pursuit tackles him. He has a bad fumbling problem and I didn't see great vision.

16) Robert Woods WR USC

6-1 190

Notes:

Analysis:

FF wise:

I think it safe to safe he doesn't have a very high ceiling, but I also think he's going to make it in the NFL as a #2. For fantasy purposes he's not that exciting but as a late 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick it's safe choice.
Just broke down 4 more games(outside of my original for this piece) and my concerns of Woods being manhandled are only getting bigger. He's a finesse WR that got shut down on lots of routes by college CB's, when he faces NFL CBs I have even great concerns. He doesn't make many defenders miss either. He has good hands though and is pretty smooth.

Just broke down 4 more games(outside of my original for this piece) and my concerns of Woods being manhandled are only getting bigger. He's a finesse WR that got shut down on lots of routes by college CB's, when he faces NFL CBs I have even great concerns. He doesn't make many defenders miss either. He has good hands though and is pretty smooth.
What NFL caliber CBs shut down Woods? He was playing injured last year and should we totally blow off 2011 where he produced 1300 yds and 15 tds? Pretend as if it never happened? USC /Barkley/ said himself they went away from Woods too much in 2012 and tried to force it to Lee more than they should have. USC became one-dimensional in the passing game. I know you (AC) are in love with Keenan Allen and has it in for Woods (from our league), but I believe you have blinders on when it comes to both these players.

'JohnnyU said:
'tdmills said:
What NFL caliber CBs shut down Woods? He was playing injured last year and should we totally blow off 2011 where he produced 1300 yds and 15 tds? Pretend as if it never happened? USC /Barkley/ said himself they went away from Woods too much in 2012 and tried to force it to Lee more than they should have. USC became one-dimensional in the passing game. I know you (AC) are in love with Keenan Allen and has it in for Woods (from our league), but I believe you have blinders on when it comes to both these players.
When NCAA CBs take him into the sidelines because he can't fight them off, you think it's easier when he gets to the NFL? When NCAA players regularly tackle Woods in one on one matchups, is he going to all of a sudden break lots of tackles when he gets to the NFL?My analysis goes deeper than one dynasty league. I'm in many leagues and don't let it cloud my judgement. I could still draft Woods/Allen/Bernard/etc, why would my rankings be skewed due to one league?Woods has some major flaws to this game, i'm not the only person that's recognized this.

'JohnnyU said:
'tdmills said:
When NCAA CBs take him into the sidelines because he can't fight them off, you think it's easier when he gets to the NFL? When NCAA players regularly tackle Woods in one on one matchups, is he going to all of a sudden break lots of tackles when he gets to the NFL?My analysis goes deeper than one dynasty league. I'm in many leagues and don't let it cloud my judgement. I could still draft Woods/Allen/Bernard/etc, why would my rankings be skewed due to one league?Woods has some major flaws to this game, i'm not the only person that's recognized this.
:goodposting:

Woods has some major flaws to this game, i'm not the only person that's recognized this.
You could say the same thing about Allen. Like I said, you can't just ignore Woods' 2011 season as if it never happened.

I appreciate the write up, but I have to disagree on this one: "1) Keenan Allen WR Cal6-3 2102010: 46 receptions, 490 yards, 10.7 5 TD2011: 98 receptions, 1343 yards, 13.7 6 TD2012: 61 receptions, 737 yards, 12.1 6 TD-Also has one passing, two rushing, and one return TD at Cal.Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald"I think Allen can be a good NFL player, but think comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald is maybe a little to optomistic. Fitzgerald was a top 10 pick, Allen will need to run under a 4.5 at his pro day to be a 1st rd pick. I really thin they are 2 completly different type of receivers also. Allen didnt run many vertical routes at Cal, I personally feel Allen could be more of a Colston type of player,

My top 2 is the same guys. At this point I feel pretty comfortable saying that Lacy and Allen will be the two names in my first tier. They're the only guys in this draft that have the right combination of reasonable upside and zero bust risk. Beyond that things get really ugly. I am probably in the minority here, but I really don't see a massive gap between the 1.03 and the 1.12 this year. That could change if someone like Bernard or Taylor lights up the combine and lands in a great spot on draft day, but overall there's a lack of distinction amongst these guys. Just a whole bunch of mediocrity, which actually makes it a fun challenge for us drafters.
Now after the combine I completely agree with this, will be interesting to see if any PRO Days drastically change these rankings

I appreciate the write up, but I have to disagree on this one: "1) Keenan Allen WR Cal6-3 2102010: 46 receptions, 490 yards, 10.7 5 TD2011: 98 receptions, 1343 yards, 13.7 6 TD2012: 61 receptions, 737 yards, 12.1 6 TD-Also has one passing, two rushing, and one return TD at Cal.Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald"I think Allen can be a good NFL player, but think comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald is maybe a little to optomistic. Fitzgerald was a top 10 pick, Allen will need to run under a 4.5 at his pro day to be a 1st rd pick. I really thin they are 2 completly different type of receivers also. Allen didnt run many vertical routes at Cal, I personally feel Allen could be more of a Colston type of player,
The comparisons aren't meant to mean this is the player they will become. Allen won't match Fitz career, not at all. I just see similar body types and game. Colston isn't a bad one either, however I think Allen is more explosive and has more wiggle.

Woods has some major flaws to this game, i'm not the only person that's recognized this.
You could say the same thing about Allen. Like I said, you can't just ignore Woods' 2011 season as if it never happened.
Woods had the same issues in 2011.Allen isn't perfect, nobody said he was :shrug:
Ok then, I'll take those issues if he can produce 1300 yds and 15 tds.
College stats don't mean everything.

Woods had the same issues in 2011.Allen isn't perfect, nobody said he was :shrug:
Sure they do. It shows what he can do in a competitive environment. I'd much rather have a "football player" than a physical specimen and even a workout freak.

Sure they do. It shows what he can do in a competitive environment. I'd much rather have a "football player" than a physical specimen and even a workout freak.
So Timmy Chang was your boy? Terrance Williams is the best WR in this draft?I watch a handful of games before I jump to conclusions like Woods can get pushed around regularly, even his 2011 season.

So Timmy Chang was your boy? Terrance Williams is the best WR in this draft?I watch a handful of games before I jump to conclusions like Woods can get pushed around regularly, even his 2011 season.
We could go back and forth on this all night. IMO the games they have played do matter more than the combine and BMI. If you don't think Woods will be a productive pro and more importantly a viable fantasy WR, that's your business, but to close your eyes on him is foolish. You worry too much about height and weight.

We could go back and forth on this all night. IMO the games they have played do matter more than the combine and BMI. If you don't think Woods will be a productive pro and more importantly a viable fantasy WR, that's your business, but to close your eyes on him is foolish. You worry too much about height and weight.
You're putting words in my mouth and I wish this could've been more productive. My original post had concerns from the games they played(what you value most). Then the combine backed up my concerns and I just watched 4 more games on Woods. That's three different times i've focused on Woods and came away with "this guy won't be elite at the next level." Can he be an NFL WR2, yes. I also didn't mention anything about BMI, that's an EBF thing.

At what point do you think about bumping Marquess Wilson down? He crashed out of Washington State and didn't exactly light up the combine. Extremely skinny. Weighed 7 pounds less than Woods despite being two inches taller. Didn't run fast or jump well. Weak on the bench press. Draft Scout has him as the #27 WR right now. I think that's way too harsh and I see some of the same positives you do, but I've moved him down in recent weeks. Lots of red flags to go along with the positives. Could be a nice gamble in the 2nd round of rookie drafts, but not a guy I would consider in the top 10 at the moment.

At what point do you think about bumping Marquess Wilson down? He crashed out of Washington State and didn't exactly light up the combine. Extremely skinny. Weighed 7 pounds less than Woods despite being two inches taller. Didn't run fast or jump well. Weak on the bench press. Draft Scout has him as the #27 WR right now. I think that's way too harsh and I see some of the same positives you do, but I've moved him down in recent weeks. Lots of red flags to go along with the positives. Could be a nice gamble in the 2nd round of rookie drafts, but not a guy I would consider in the top 10 at the moment.
I can see moving him down. If it's the end of first round of a rookie draft, I'd rather gamble on a guy with big time potential like Wilson or lattimore or your Marcus Davis. Wilson has 4 inches on Woods and has the same speed. I think they do have similar good route running though. Wilson also makes the spectacular catches. I will probably end up moving him down.ETA: I referenced Davis because he's the guy you like due to sheer big time potential, just for comparison sake. I don't view him as a late first or even a second round pick.

I can see moving him down. If it's the end of first round of a rookie draft, I'd rather gamble on a guy with big time potential like Wilson or lattimore or your Marcus Davis. Wilson has 4 inches on Woods and has the same speed. I think they do have similar good route running though. Wilson also makes the spectacular catches. I will probably end up moving him down.
I've bumped Wilson up after the combine. He looked very strong catching the ball and in all the drills. His athleticism is right where I expected it from watching his game footage. I have no idea how you could justify bumping him down from the combine. He was at an all time low prior to it due to the WSU incident.

I've bumped Wilson up after the combine. He looked very strong catching the ball and in all the drills. His athleticism is right where I expected it from watching his game footage. I have no idea how you could justify bumping him down from the combine. He was at an all time low prior to it due to the WSU incident.
He did well in the receiving drills. He's got good hands and instincts. He's also tall. Those are his main assets. In terms of the other stuff, there are plenty of holes. He's extremely thin. About the same as DeSean Jackson in terms of body mass. Jackson compensates for his lack of size and strength with elite speed. Wilson ran a 4.51. That's not a bad time in a vacuum, but it's not a good time for such a thin WR. He didn't jump all that well either. 34.5" in the vert is average or slightly below average. 10'2" in the broad jump is not terrible, but it's not particularly good either for a guy who's 6'2"+. He's just an average athlete in terms of speed and burst. Below average when you compare him to the likely high pick WRs like Patterson, Rogers, Wheaton, Woods, Hunter, and Austin. I don't doubt Wilson's football skills and I think he's fast enough to be effective. He's not really an explosive athlete though. The biggest question is how he'll cope with the physicality of NFL corners. He's tall and stringy. Out of last year's top 20 FF WRs, none of them had a BMI below 26. Wilson's is 24.6. Will he get bullied? Will he be able to take a hit? I think those are the biggest question. If you want to look at skinny guys who have thrived at the position, he's a bit like Sidney Rice or a lesser AJ Green. I think he has a chance to be successful, but he certainly didn't hit it out of the park at the combine. He might have done well in the positional drills, but that's only half the equation. From a tape measure standpoint he was underwhelming. Guys like Rogers, Patterson, and Boyce clearly outshined him there. I'd put Wilson in the same category as Hopkins and Woods. Good football player. Not a special athletic specimen. Ideally, you'd want a prospect who's both.

I understand why you put such an emphasis on bmi and athletic ability, but think you have tunnel vision for it. Yes, elite players have those elements, but there is a laundry list of busts on that list too. Seems as though you're trending more and more towards measureables and further away from tape. Big mistake.

He did well in the receiving drills. He's got good hands and instincts. He's also tall. Those are his main assets. In terms of the other stuff, there are plenty of holes. He's extremely thin. About the same as DeSean Jackson in terms of body mass. Jackson compensates for his lack of size and strength with elite speed. Wilson ran a 4.51. That's not a bad time in a vacuum, but it's not a good time for such a thin WR. He didn't jump all that well either. 34.5" in the vert is average or slightly below average. 10'2" in the broad jump is not terrible, but it's not particularly good either for a guy who's 6'2"+. He's just an average athlete in terms of speed and burst. Below average when you compare him to the likely high pick WRs like Patterson, Rogers, Wheaton, Woods, Hunter, and Austin. I don't doubt Wilson's football skills and I think he's fast enough to be effective. He's not really an explosive athlete though. The biggest question is how he'll cope with the physicality of NFL corners. He's tall and stringy. Out of last year's top 20 FF WRs, none of them had a BMI below 26. Wilson's is 24.6. Will he get bullied? Will he be able to take a hit? I think those are the biggest question. If you want to look at skinny guys who have thrived at the position, he's a bit like Sidney Rice or a lesser AJ Green. I think he has a chance to be successful, but he certainly didn't hit it out of the park at the combine. He might have done well in the positional drills, but that's only half the equation. From a tape measure standpoint he was underwhelming. Guys like Rogers, Patterson, and Boyce clearly outshined him there. I'd put Wilson in the same category as Hopkins and Woods. Good football player. Not a special athletic specimen. Ideally, you'd want a prospect who's both.
Sidney Rice is the comp I've been using for Wilson. One thing Wilson did that impressed me was his 6.65 3 cone, very good for a guy his size.The downsides with him is the character issue and his weight. Since he's so skinny I don't expect him to have much impact right away. He only did 7 reps so he'll need to get a lot stronger to be effective. He's a guy you have to plan on tying up a roster spot with no payoff for a couple of years, but in the long-term I think he could be worth it. Not a 1st round rookie pick but in the 2nd I think he's worth the risk.

I wouldn't say that. Every time I talk about something like draft position, college production, or BMI, people start to take the argument to the absolute extreme like it's the only thing I look at. And that's definitely not the case. Workout numbers aren't the only thing. On the other hand, they're not nothing.

The safest prospects are the guys who have everything. Production. Workout numbers. Ideal dimensions. A high draft slot. Those are the Calvins and the Julios of the world.

But the reality is that most prospects are deficient in some way or another. So you're left to pick between players who have just bits and pieces of what you want. Wilson is a guy who has great hands and innate receiving ability. Contrast that to a guy like Marcus Davis, who has a prototypical #1 WR build, but is a lot more suspect when it comes to running routes and catching the ball. This is where the decisions become difficult. There is no magic formula. You make an educated guess weighing all the variables.

I wouldn't say that. Every time I talk about something like draft position, college production, or BMI, people start to take the argument to the absolute extreme like it's the only thing I look at. And that's definitely not the case. Workout numbers aren't the only thing. On the other hand, they're not nothing.

The safest prospects are the guys who have everything. Production. Workout numbers. Ideal dimensions. A high draft slot. Those are the Calvins and the Julios of the world.

But the reality is that most prospects are deficient in some way or another. So you're left to pick between players who have just bits and pieces of what you want. Wilson is a guy who has great hands and innate receiving ability. Contrast that to a guy like Marcus Davis, who has a prototypical #1 WR build, but is a lot more suspect when it comes to running routes and catching the ball. This is where the decisions become difficult. There is no magic formula. You make an educated guess weighing all the variables.
... You can't teach a guy to want to play football and put in the work to be great doing it. Legitimate concerns about this being an issue with davis and rodgers... To a lesser degree Patterson. No reason to believe it's an issue with woods, wilson, austin, allen, etc

Sidney Rice is the comp I've been using for Wilson. One thing Wilson did that impressed me was his 6.65 3 cone, very good for a guy his size.The downsides with him is the character issue and his weight. Since he's so skinny I don't expect him to have much impact right away. He only did 7 reps so he'll need to get a lot stronger to be effective. He's a guy you have to plan on tying up a roster spot with no payoff for a couple of years, but in the long-term I think he could be worth it. Not a 1st round rookie pick but in the 2nd I think he's worth the risk.
:goodposting: I agree that Wilson needs some development, especially with work ethic/strength/weight. However, I do believe he's a very natural WR and has a complete game. I think Wilson possesses game speed, even though he didn't test well.Below is one reason why I'm not as worried about DB's physically dominating him.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOiSfpEHUgTechnique: 38 seconds in. I really like his press break technique(it's what I teach players). Low chest(gives less area for DB's to hit), stem inside(gives a 2 way break and puts the defender in a bind/less aggressive), uses his hands to knock down the DB's hands.

Post combine update:1) Keenan Allen WR Cal (same)
Why are you giving Keenan Allen a free pass when he came to the combine 1" shorter and several pounds lighter than advertised? He is now considered a huge medical red flag since his recover time has been slow. In my opinion, he now has 2 strikes against him. If he runs a slow 40, there will be little justification for picking him in the 1st round.

Post combine update:

Why are you giving Keenan Allen a free pass when he came to the combine 1" shorter and several pounds lighter than advertised? He is now considered a huge medical red flag since his recover time has been slow. In my opinion, he now has 2 strikes against him. If he runs a slow 40, there will be little justification for picking him in the 1st round.
according to who? some people heal faster than others. no need to risk re-injury in the underwear olympics. he went and met with teams and did the interviews which is probably the most important thing to NFL teams at the combine.

Post combine update:1) Keenan Allen WR Cal (same)
Free pass vs whom?6'2 + change is plenty tall enough, he's a little light, however I don't think that's the end of the world like other posters. It's not like he's Todd Pinkston. Huge medical red flag? He hurt his knee later in the year and didn't run at the combine, both Ginn/Crabtree didn't run at all pre draft.

Any updates on this list now that we've gone through most of the combine and pro days? I'll be honest, I'm looking to trade out of the first in my league. In a start 2QB I just offered Carson Palmer and the 1.7 for Ryan Tannehill. I don't view any picks beyond the top 3 as having much value at all.

Having said that I now fully expect this class to be looked back on as the best in NFL history because that's just how #### goes most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread