What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees is trending on Twitter and it is not about Football (1 Viewer)

Not good.  But I disagree with the analogy. Westboro is a small group of extreme haters. Focus on the Family is a large group that represents millions of people. I strongly doubt that they’re all in lockstep regarding homosexuality. In fact I personally know some evangelical Christians who disagree with Focus about gay conversion therapy, yet give money to that group because they agree with them about abortion, Christian rights, etc. 
I'm just curious where the line falls... what would your view be of a celebrity who appeared in a campaign ad for the Nazi party (which represented millions of people) because, while disagreeing with the party's anti-semitism, agreed with their views on economics and militarization?

stlrams said:
Does it really matter to you?  Please step back and separate his personal beliefs from the athlete.  
Yes...if he is endorsing this...it matters and he should be called out for it.

Bottom line, we all know brees is a good guy.  He has done a lot of good things for the community, charities etc.  I think we should all give him a pass for his beliefs as a conservative Christian.  The good far outweighs the bad...please see the big picture.

[scooter] said:
You seem to be the one hung up on his particular beliefs.

Again, I don't care what he believes. I just don't want any more children to be traumatized. And I don't think it's appropriate for anyone in a position of power or influence to contribute to that, even if it's just slightly.
Also I’m not sure how to separate the beliefs from the athlete.  If one of them was openly a white supremacist or beat their children or breed fighting dogs or, or...  I have a really hard time rooting for them.  I know we don’t personally know these athletes, but I still want the one I’m rooting for to be a decent human being.  

I dunno guys. I have very close gay friends, and I have some very close Christian friends who believe that homosexuality is a sin. Obviously I strongly disagree with them but I’m not going to end my friendship with them over it. 
That’s because you’re tolerable of good people with different beliefs.  These guys will shame anyone with different beliefs than them. 

[scooter] said:
You seem to be the one hung up on his particular beliefs.

Again, I don't care what he believes. I just don't want any more children to be traumatized. And I don't think it's appropriate for anyone in a position of power or influence to contribute to that, even if it's just slightly.
See my post to sho nuff...

I'm in.

Feel free to name another celebrity jerk that is affiliated with a rabidly homophobic organization.
To start, anyone that is Mormon, church of Latter Day Saints, Scientology, Muslim etc.  ever seen any movies with Tom cruise or John travota?

Bottom line, we all know brees is a good guy.  He has done a lot of good things for the community, charities etc.  I think we should all give him a pass for his beliefs as a conservative Christian.  The good far outweighs the bad...please see the big picture.
Yeah.... but Advocare.... really?!?

Yep...what an #######, the 2006 NFL Man of the Year is.  All that Katrina work he did coupled with all his work he does helping kids with cancer. 

http://www.drewbrees.com/

Then there's this:

Drew Brees is the founder of the Dream Foundation, a charity that partnered with Operation Kids after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. 

The foundations worked to rebuild schools and athletic facilities in New Orleans as well as provide after-school mentor programs for children with learning needs.

Brees has also been a part of other campaigns, including raising awareness on gay teen suicides, and he helped with recovery for the BP Oil Spill.
Effing jerk.  Boooooooooo.

I agree he has done good things...that does not give him a pass or excuse this.

Have you ever made a mistake in life?
Have you ever responded to a mistake by blaming the person who brought it up, denying it, and not owning up to it?

There was a super easy response to this.  "You know, I wasn't aware of this portion of this organization's message, and I should have been.  In the future I will not be engaging with that organization."

Not "What they say is lies, the reporter made it up, I love everybody and if you hear differently it's wrong."

Have you ever made a mistake in life?
Sure...what does that have to do with the conversation?

Im not saying black list the guy and boycott him.  Just that there is no getting a pass for that of its something he supports.

Adrian Peterson could donate a million dollars to the community and he'd still be dead to me.

Now imagine a homosexual person, who has done all kinds of great things, forcing their straight child into a program to convince them being straight is wrong. 

Sure...what does that have to do with the conversation?

Im not saying black list the guy and boycott him.  Just that there is no getting a pass for that of its something he supports.
Maybe brees made a mistake and should forgiven just like when you, i and everyone else makes a mistake.  He gets a pass just like everyone else here.  Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw rocks.

Now imagine a homosexual person, who has done all kinds of great things, forcing their straight Christian child into a program to convince them being straight and Christian is wrong.

Have you ever responded to a mistake by blaming the person who brought it up, denying it, and not owning up to it?

There was a super easy response to this.  "You know, I wasn't aware of this portion of this organization's message, and I should have been.  In the future I will not be engaging with that organization."

Not "What they say is lies, the reporter made it up, I love everybody and if you hear differently it's wrong."
Maybe he does believe it like millions of others but it’s not a popular position so he deflects....

Maybe brees made a mistake and should forgiven just like when you, i and everyone else makes a mistake.  He gets a pass just like everyone else here.  Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw rocks.
What are you even talking about?  Seriously?  Why is it not fair to criticize him for this?  Does that mean i wouldn’t forgive him of he asked or apologized?  Where did you get that from?  Thus far...has he done so? 

Maybe he does believe it like millions of others but it’s not a popular position so he deflects....
Millions of others believing something doesn't make it right.  Or worth just giving a pass...and this also seems to show it would be odd to “forgive “ someone who doesn’t apologize and continues the behavior.  Being good in other aspects of life doesn't remove criticism from other things.

I'm just curious where the line falls... what would your view be of a celebrity who appeared in a campaign ad for the Nazi party (which represented millions of people) because, while disagreeing with the party's anti-semitism, agreed with their views on economics and militarization?
Great question. 

Yeah I would have a problem with somebody who was associated with the Nazis...today. But I would have less problem with someone who was associated with the Nazis in 1933, because there were many people who weren’t anti-Semitic then, who didn’t know what Hitler was truly about, who liked how he “made Germany great again”. Some of those people I forgive. 

I agree with those who say that anyone who endorses gay conversion therapy should be condemned. But Brees has to actually endorse it. Lending one’s name to a different cause is not endorsing something. 

Also on this point: a real life answer to this question was Ingrid Bergman, who was a member of Hitler Youth as a teenager. 

Are you entitled to enforce it on others with electric shocks?
Obviously the answer is no. 

But I have some additional questions: 

1. Is one entitled to force ones children to attend religious school where they will be indoctrinated in certain beliefs, some of them which we would judge to be intolerant?

2. If you don’t like what public school is teaching your kids about homosexuality and other issues, should you be allowed to home school your children and impose your own religious beliefs on them?  

Obviously the answer is no. 

But I have some additional questions: 

1. Is one entitled to force ones children to attend religious school where they will be indoctrinated in certain beliefs, some of them which we would judge to be intolerant?

2. If you don’t like what public school is teaching your kids about homosexuality and other issues, should you be allowed to home school your children and impose your own religious beliefs on them?  
1. Are electric shocks involved? Waterboarding? Other indoctrination techniques? Or are the participants allowed to make up their own minds over time? As a related anecdote, my daughters went through catholic first communion training. They are now both atheists.

2. Same questions apply.

If that’s the case I don’t have much rethinking to do.  It’s not like I think he should be cast out, he just goes from being one of my favorites if not my actual favorite player of all time to a great QB for the Saints. 

Lending one’s name to a different cause is not endorsing something. 
Speaking of which...

Exactly what good would come from a "bring your bible to school" cause?    I'm not saying it should be disallowed or any kind of state imposed limitation on free speech or expression of religion, but asking how is this helpful in any way, shape, or form to a school day?  How is it helpful to the kids involved?   I guess maybe in a "safety in numbers" kind of way of making one feel better about their beliefs - but while I probably could be sold on the idea at the moment it seems like a stretch.  But mostly it seems like some form of move to stir up trouble more than anything else.

Speaking of which...

Exactly what good would come from a "bring your bible to school" cause?    I'm not saying it should be disallowed or any kind of state imposed limitation on free speech or expression of religion, but asking how is this helpful in any way, shape, or form to a school day?  How is it helpful to the kids involved?   I guess maybe in a "safety in numbers" kind of way of making one feel better about their beliefs - but while I probably could be sold on the idea at the moment it seems like a stretch.  But mostly it seems like some form of move to stir up trouble more than anything else.
Brees is a born again Christian.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he believes there’s a war on Christianity by secularism. 

Bringing bibles to school doesn’t hurt anyone.  As long as little Omar gets to bring his Koran, it shouldn’t bother anyone much. 

Just so I’m clear, are we forgiving Brees for making a mistake by promoting a video made by bigots or are we being tolerant of him standing with the belief shared by bigots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry Ford said:
Brees is a born again Christian.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he believes there’s a war on Christianity by secularism. 

Bringing bibles to school doesn’t hurt anyone.  As long as little Omar gets to bring his Koran, it shouldn’t bother anyone much. 
Just have a digital version on your phone. I mean in today's day and age there's no reason to haul it around in book form... unless you plan on thumping people with it. 

Henry Ford said:
If someone did a promo for a pancake breakfast hosted by the Westboro Baptist Church, how would you feel about that?
Carbs like pancakes and Westboro are both spawns of Satan.  Hard pass.

Henry Ford said:
They're the same organization, tim.  Which is kind of the point.

If Jeffrey Dahmer were still alive and trying to start a gofundme for kids to lose weight on a paleo diet, I still wouldn't do a promo video for him.
Is human flesh considered Paleo?

Also, I always knew there was a reason I hated Brees - VINDICATION!

timschochet said:
I dunno guys. I have very close gay friends, and I have some very close Christian friends who believe that homosexuality is a sin. Obviously I strongly disagree with them but I’m not going to end my friendship with them over it. 
But you know those guys personally. 

I don't know Drew Brees at all other than he's from Westlake, is a good QB, and hates gays (under this hypothetical). That's certainly enough for me not to root for him.

But you know those guys personally. 

I don't know Drew Brees at all other than he's from Westlake, is a good QB, and hates gays (under this hypothetical). That's certainly enough for me not to root for him.
No reason or fact has been offered here for me to believe that Drew Brees hates gays. 

No reason or fact has been offered here for me to believe that Drew Brees hates gays. 
I was referring to the hypothetical line of questioning you started. Not what he's actually done.

Though I would guess that doing a promo for a group that supports gay conversion therapy doesn't exactly make me think he's pro-gay.

Users who are viewing this thread