What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter and Elon Musk (1 Viewer)

If you ran Twitter, what would you do?

• Total voters
Neck and neck with Putin for strategist of the year:
  • Tears down Twitter.
  • Forces Twitter into a sale.
  • Signs legal documents buying Twitter at $54 a share.
  • Says he's not buying Twitter.
  • Spends six months trashing Twitter.
  • Gets no satisfaction from Twitter on any of his complaints.
  • Realizes he'll going to lose court case.
  • Goes through with the deal at $54 a share.
  • In the end owns company that he spent six months trashing.
Great summary.

Musk has ultimate **** you money so It doesn’t matter really, but man he looks like dope here.
Oh this hurts him. He's possibly going to pay more than double what the company is worth. That's billions wasted and isn't chump change for anyone.
He definitely screwed this up royally and we all got to see it. He does get to find solace in that he only has like 150 billion and his own wrecked social network to post memes on :lol:
Your post sounds like a nervous laugh. Almost as if you're trying to convince yourself. Did it work?

Your side of the aisle is absolutely losing their s*** right now because he bought it. Sounds like he did the right thing.
He can buy every social media outlet and shut them down to post his favorite recipes and Garfield cartoons. I think 95% of my viewing is watching golf, surfing, and hiking vids, and lessons of people stretching.

I do think it’s a bit funny that he screwed it up so badly and we got to watch it all unfold like a dumb version of Succession where Elon played every character.

But as I pointed out he has more **** you money than he could ever blow through so it’s not like it really matters.

The Guardian with some thoughts -- I'd been thinking how pleased shareholders must be with Twitter's board and this echoes that...
Buying Twitter “is an accelerant to creating X, the everything app”, said Elon Musk, by way of non-explanation of why he is now prepared to do the deal he was desperately trying to escape. One must conclude he judged his legal case to be doomed before it had even reached a Delaware courtroom.

That assumes, of course, that the latest plot-twist is not another wheeze to play for time. Twitter’s board sensibly signalled that it wants to nail down every detail of Musk’s latest offer to proceed on April’s agreed $44bn terms. Quite right: don’t leave an inch of wriggle room.

But, if this is the end of the saga, the right side has won the dispute. Musk’s bleats about fake bots may or may not have had substance, but they became irrelevant once he committed to pay $54.20 a share for Twitter. At that point, it was up to him to prove that a “material adverse change” had occurred – a test where courts have rightly applied a high hurdle in the past. Few legal experts could see how the claim could possibly stack up.

Given what’s happened to tech and social media companies’ valuations since April, Musk is probably paying at least twice what a standalone Twitter is worth. That’s life. Deals are struck at a moment in time. The same applies to the banks who provided financing for the adventure and may now struggle to off-load the debt on to other investors at April’s prices. Nobody forced them to volunteer.

Twitter’s board deserves credit for sticking to its guns. It was given the runaround by Musk in the early weeks, but now looks set to deliver the result it promised its shareholders. In the process, it has defended the excellent principle that bidders should do what they’ve agreed to do. Whether Musk will be a good owner of Twitter is an entirely different matter. But the next billionaire with a bad case of buyer’s remorse will find it harder to flee; that is definitely welcome.

Musk filed a Motion today asking the Court to stay the trial "Pending Closing of Transaction" - https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23126626/musk-01-motion-to-stay-w-cos.pdf

More than a few bizarre allegations by Musk in this and it has a strong stench of desperation. They say nothing drives a settlement like a trial date. The Court issued a statement yesterday that it would not adjourn the trial without a stipulation from the parties. This isn't a stipulation. Seems odd, but the likely explanation is the trust gap is wide and Twitter is not satisfied with whatever assurances it is getting from the banks and Musk. Trial is only 11 days away; trial briefs are due Oct 12 and 13. Approximately zero percent chance she adjourns the trial based on this motion. My totally uninformed and ignorant guess is that Musk is going to end up owning this thing by the end of this month but there will be more lawsuits and this is far from over. Looking forward to docket-watching over the next week or so.

Maybe Twitter gives some concessions to Musk just to get this over with?
I suspect the fastest way to get it over with is to not give any concessions since the concession Musk is asking for is a delay.

Its a strange situation because one result of delay is mounting costs as a large team of silk-stocking lawyers prepare for trial. If the result is that Musk owns the company at the end of this, he's effectively paying Twitter's lawyers as well as his own. Shareholders have no reason to compromise on the purchase price - maybe a small concession just to get it done without further delay if that is truly possible.

Contrary to my prediction, the commish has indeed stayed the trial but she put them on a very short leash --> https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1578137807625031686/photo/1
Consistent with my prediction, it does seem likely he will own the company by the end of this month. So my dartboard crystal ball is 1-1 this week.

They now have until 5:00 p.m. Oct 28 to close the transaction, or go to trial in November. Musk's motion did indeed buy him some time. At this point, there's really no way he can go to trial in this case and it seems highly unlikely there is anything left to negotiate.

Going to be pretty interesting to see what Twitter trades at in the immediate aftermath of this deal going through.
If the deal goes through, it will trade very tight to the deal price until it closes. Current discount is ~10%. The discount should almost entirely disappear once the deal is formally completed.

If the deal goes through, it will trade very tight to the deal price until it closes. Current discount is ~10%. The discount should almost entirely disappear once the deal is formally completed.
At some point Twitter is worth what it's worth again though, right? Like $30-35 maybe?

At some point Twitter is worth what it's worth again though, right? Like $30-35 maybe?
Well yes, that's likely it's real market value. But it doesn't matter because it will be private. For all the public holders, $54.20 is what they get (if it closes).

I'm 99% sure this deal would already have closed had Twitter's comparable peers (and the entire market) not taken a dump right after Musk jumped into his Twitter position.
All the hay Musk has made over bots et. al. was simply his way to try not to have to pay $54/share in my opinion. If you remember, when the deal was initially floated most voices were saying $54.20 was too LOW since Twitter had traded nearly $70/share 4-5 months prior. That narrative flipped quickly once the rest of the market tanked and it became obvious $54.20 was a rich price for Twitter.
Really just a case of poor timing for Elon, but he can afford it.
Also: I'm of the opinion that Twitter has always been under-monetized. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Musk take it private for 5 years and then IPO again at 5X the price he paid for it. Not only do I think Musk is smart enough to unlock the value (he is), but I think the value has been there all along and the company has simply lacked the leadership willing to monetize it fully. I think Jack Dorsey is kind of a weird dude and he likely lost interest. I like Dorsey overall, but there have been countless times over the past decade I have been disappointed in the leadership at Twitter, from him and others.

Musk reportedly informed prospective investors he plans to cut Twitter's workforce from 7,500 to around 2,000.

Twitter already has plans to cut around a quarter of its workforce in the now unlikely event Musk’s $44 billion takeover falls through, as the company plans to slash its payroll by $800 million by the end of 2023, according to the Post, citing corporate documents and people familiar with internal discussions.

The company’s planned cuts reportedly include critical infrastructure like data centers and will likely make it more difficult to police information and defend against security risks for the more than 200 million daily active users Twitter claims to have.
Musk has a stated goal of “authenticating all humans” and significantly cutting down on spam accounts on the platform. It’s unclear how laying off 75% of the workforce plays into achieving that.

Musk is wasting no time in getting rid of the garbage that turned Twitter into the biggest cancer on humanity (censorship/manipulation and spam/bots).

:bow:

Musk reportedly informed prospective investors he plans to cut Twitter's workforce from 7,500 to around 2,000.

Twitter already has plans to cut around a quarter of its workforce in the now unlikely event Musk’s $44 billion takeover falls through, as the company plans to slash its payroll by $800 million by the end of 2023, according to the Post, citing corporate documents and people familiar with internal discussions.

The company’s planned cuts reportedly include critical infrastructure like data centers and will likely make it more difficult to police information and defend against security risks for the more than 200 million daily active users Twitter claims to have.
Musk has a stated goal of “authenticating all humans” and significantly cutting down on spam accounts on the platform. It’s unclear how laying off 75% of the workforce plays into achieving that.

Musk is wasting no time in getting rid of the garbage that turned Twitter into the biggest cancer on humanity (censorship/manipulation and spam/bots).

:bow:

That would make TikTok the bubonic plague.

Celebrating 5500 people getting laid off. I guess its just a different mindset.
When those employees hack the accounts of news outlets they disagree with and post things like:

"We must *********** AOC for America"

"I will **** and batter Hochul's sorry *** *****"

"Eric Adams is NYC's fried chicken eating monkey"

Gov Abbot: "I will order Border Patrol to start slaughtering illegals"

"We must destroy and imprison Union teachers"

"We must ****** Joe and Hunter Biden"

Yes, firing them is a good first step.

* for any government bots scraping this website the above quotes are not my statements but the statements of a disgruntled Twitter employee.

Users who are viewing this thread