What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bank error in your favor. Spend it, Pass Go and go directly to Jail (1 Viewer)

I think the couple probably had the same initial thought everyone in that position would have which is, "Whoa...do you think we'd be able to keep this and they don't find out?"  Unfortunately, they were too stupid to answer that question with, "No."  

Cover what?  
Cover the deposit or just remove it and notify the patrons. Certainly do not count on good faith. What if they got all bank receipts garnisheed? Why should the couple have to explain away $120,000 to any creditors or persons of the law.

This sounds like another way for banks to #### up and pass the duty onto consumers. Our legislators should be embarrassed that this can happen. 

if they were smart they could have waited a couple three years, then closed their accounts and transferred it all to a new bank.   Doubtful it ever would have been caught.

my guess is their daily spending went up so much it created a red flag situation that then alerted the bank to investigate.

My buddy had a couple of interesting thoughts on this.  

1.  What amount would have to be erroneously deposited in your account before it's not considered a felony.  If you saw $20 go in your account and didn't say anything, is that a felony?  $500?  $2,500?

2.  Ethics aside, how much would you have to have mistakenly deposited in your account to take it and expatriate yourself from this country? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that when you sign up to get the account in the first place, you promise not to spend any money that is erroneously deposited into the account. So, they were definitely in violation of their contract.

Also, they made a mistake by admitting that they knew that the money wasn't theirs. They should have lawyered up immediately.

1.  What amount would have to be erroneously deposited in your account before it's not considered a felony.  If you saw $20 go in your account and didn't say anything, is that a felony?  $500?  $2,500?

2.  Ethics aside, how much would you have to have mistakenly deposited in your account to take it and live in exile outside of the country? 
1. No idea. This is why the banks should be responsible for this.

2. I think you mean to expatriate one's self. Exile is a political punishment. 

2.  Ethics aside, how much would you have to have mistakenly deposited in your account to take it and live in exile outside of the country? 
1. If the amount stolen is over $2,000, or the property stolen is a vehicle, vessel or airplane of any kind the charge is a second degree felony. If the stolen property is a firearm, it is a first degree felony. If the amount involved was $50 to less than $200, the charge is a third degree misdemeanor.

Pennsylvania Theft / Larceny Law - FindLaw

2. $250K,

if they were smart they could have waited a couple three years, then closed their accounts and transferred it all to a new bank.   Doubtful it ever would have been caught.

my guess is their daily spending went up so much it created a red flag situation that then alerted the bank to investigate.
The article mentions this.  They discovered the error when researching the missing money from the rightful depositor's account.

Last edited by a moderator:
currently dealing with this situation as part of my job. party who erroneously received the funds (much less than $120k) emptied the account and is refusing to acknowledge the bank's attempts to contact them for permission (yes, permission) to return funds that are not theirs in the first place.

going on a month with no response

:popcorn:

1. No idea. This is why the banks should be responsible for this.
I don't agree but I have a hypothetical for you...

Let's say they discovered the error one day after making the deposit.  The money is still in the wrong account.  Do you think they should have to leave it there?  Is it only when someone spends it that they should be able to keep it?

currently dealing with this situation as part of my job. party who erroneously received the funds (much less than $120k) emptied the account and is refusing to acknowledge the bank's attempts to contact them for permission (yes, permission) to return funds that are not theirs in the first place.

going on a month with no response

:popcorn:
Explains why the police were called.

If the couple had just responded and worked with the bank, would there be a criminal complaint? 

Small amount erroneously deposited? I might just let it sit there, but with any large amount you know the bank will discover it eventually.

2.  Ethics aside, how much would you have to have mistakenly deposited in your account to take it and expatriate yourself from this country? 
The answer to this is super jurisdiction dependent, but in my jurisdiction it would have to be for over a particular sum of money (I believe > $1k).  

Regardless, it's still very likely some form of theft to knowingly spend money that you knew or should have known was errantly given to you.

I don't agree but I have a hypothetical for you...

Let's say they discovered the error one day after making the deposit.  The money is still in the wrong account.  Do you think they should have to leave it there?  Is it only when someone spends it that they should be able to keep it?
I guess my frustration stems not from a logical source, but a nebulous dislike for the ways and methods by which modern banking seeks to be more fluid in its movement and transfer of funds. It seems that amounts significant enough to invoke a penalty of a felony should be safeguarded to a greater extent than they are.

It's like the police would say if you made an error about a mistake in law. You're responsible for your mistaken knowledge of the law and if you can't do the crime (stomach the loss) don't do the time (use a faulty banking system.)

Explains why the police were called.

If the couple had just responded and worked with the bank, would there be a criminal complaint? 
Based on their behavior, I strongly doubt they were in a financial position to pay that much back.

The answer to this is super jurisdiction dependent, but in my jurisdiction it would have to be for over a particular sum of money (I believe > $1k).  

Regardless, it's still very likely some form of theft to knowingly spend money that you knew or should have known was errantly given to you.
This is such a nice way of placing the one's burden on the innocent.

Too bad. Buck up little campers, and get your systems right. 

This should come out of their insurance policy. 

This should come out of their insurance policy. 
If it routinely comes out of insurance policies, bank's premiums increase.  They then can pass that increased expense onto their customers though worse rates and fees.  

I'd rather have people not spend money that isn't theirs.

To be totally honest I probably wouldn't even notice an extra $500 or $120,000 in my statement.

You think it's innocent to spend $120k that you know isn't yours?
I think shifting the burden of restraint and compliance mixed with the force of law onto innocent customers of the bank is absolute bull####, yes. 

If it routinely comes out of insurance policies, bank's premiums increase.  They then can pass that increased expense onto their customers though worse rates and fees.  

I'd rather have people not spend money that isn't theirs.
I'd rather banks use their privilege and position to get the withdrawals and deposits correct.

I say that the policies would really get locked down if the burden wasn't passed onto the consumer, much like investing in harebrained investments wouldn't have happened if they didn't know they were getting bailed out.

They learned nothing from that. Not sure where they'll learn anything but the feeling that they're in the right for ####### up a basic deposit, and it sounds like they have people on their side. #### that. Spend it. Their fault, they owe the money. 

We already apparently have a privately-run, publicly subsidized system of banking anyway.

As they'd say it in Olde English...Publickly Subsidised, Privately Profitable

I'd rather banks use their privilege and position to get the withdrawals and deposits correct.

I say that the policies would really get locked down if the burden wasn't passed onto the consumer, much like investing in harebrained investments wouldn't have happened if they didn't know they were getting bailed out.

They learned nothing from that. Not sure where they'll learn anything but the feeling that they're in the right for ####### up a basic deposit, and it sounds like they have people on their side. #### that. Spend it. Their fault, they owe the money. 
I like the relative ease of transferring funds without the bank taking weeks to confirm. 

I like the relative ease of transferring funds without the bank taking weeks to confirm. 
So the onus of getting it right is diffused onto everybody, up to and around a grand or two. No way. Everyone in it together, and merry ho for responsibility. Uh uh. I personally don't like it that way. Funds in that amount should take a week or so to process. 

I've easily had checks at times constituting over thousands of dollars that I had no idea where they were -- what account, what area, in my bedroom, cashed, deposited, etc.

I led a hectic life when I was busy and it was not my responsibility to do the bank's banking for them. 

I think shifting the burden of restraint and compliance mixed with the force of law onto innocent customers of the bank is absolute bull####, yes. 
Nobody is suggesting it's a crime to be the recipient of money that isn't yours. 

It is, however, a crime to knowingly spend money that isn't yours that you knew shouldn't have been given to you. 

I really don't understand why this is controversial for you. 

We already apparently have a privately-run, publicly subsidized system of banking anyway.

As they'd say it in Olde English...Publickly Subsidised, Privately Profitable
I acknowledge your distrust and disdain of the big banks.  Do you feel the same about smaller local community banks and credit unions?  Should they not be able to reverse errors either?

I've easily had checks at times constituting over thousands of dollars that I had no idea where they were -- what account, what area, in my bedroom, cashed, deposited, etc.

I led a hectic life when I was busy and it was not my responsibility to do the bank's banking for them. 
Nobody is suggesting that it is. 

However, it seems unreasonable to suggest that these people either didn't know or shouldn't have known that they were mistakenly given $120k and then spent it. 

Had they only been given $120 by mistake then it seems totally reasonable they didn't even realize it and innocently spent it.  But, unless this account was like the main Amazon business account, it seems unreasonable to think that the recipient wouldn't notice and wonder about an additional $120k. 

Nobody is suggesting it's a crime to be the recipient of money that isn't yours. 

It is, however, a crime to knowingly spend money that isn't yours that you knew shouldn't have been given to you.

I really don't understand why this is controversial for you. 
Because the amount one can either be charged with a felony for or considered to owe is such an easy threshold.

It's controversial for me in the same way using the force of law over a mistake should be completely controversial to you. 

I acknowledge your distrust and disdain of the big banks.  Do you feel the same about smaller local community banks and credit unions?  Should they not be able to reverse errors either?
Not quite the same in emotive intent, and consumers can make that choice to join those types of banks of unions while bearing the burden of their practices, both positively and negatively. Plus, laws can be adjusted for banks at certain thresholds of cash inputs and outlays. 

Did you ever see some large amount in your account and simply say "Christmas came early, let's spend it all immediately!!!"

The couple isn't criminal for spending money they thought was theirs. They clearly knew it wasn't, spent it anyway. 

Nobody is suggesting that it is. 

However, it seems unreasonable to suggest that these people either didn't know or shouldn't have known that they were mistakenly given $120k and then spent it. 

Had they only been given $120 by mistake then it seems totally reasonable they didn't even realize it and innocently spent it.  But, unless this account was like the main Amazon business account, it seems unreasonable to think that the recipient wouldn't notice and wonder about an additional $120k. 
This is where bad facts make bad law. What's the threshold for noticing. If it's anywhere close to $2,500 for a felony level, then a not-so-subtle burden has been indeed passed onto the consumer.

Did you ever see some large amount in your account and simply say "Christmas came early, let's spend it all immediately!!!"

The couple isn't criminal for spending money they thought was theirs. They clearly knew it wasn't, spent it anyway. 
Not 120K, that's for sure. But I'm sure there are people that deal with a lot of banking that have hit felony thresholds innocently and have wound up having to pay the banks back for it. 

Because the amount one can either be charged with a felony for or considered to owe is such an easy threshold.

It's controversial for me in the same way using the force of law over a mistake should be completely controversial to you. 
The "mistake" of knowingly spending money that isn't yours, then ignoring the bank as it apparently is trying to work with you to correct their mistake?  

Not 120K, that's for sure. But I'm sure there are people that deal with a lot of banking that have hit felony thresholds innocently and have wound up having to pay the banks back for it. 
I'd be shocked if someone was actually charged with a felony unless they've taken active steps to keep the funds. 

This is where bad facts make bad law. What's the threshold for noticing. If it's anywhere close to $2,500 for a felony level, then a not-so-subtle burden has been indeed passed onto the consumer.
Obviously each situation is fact specific and investigators presumable would use discretion. And the government still has the burden of proof. 

I'd be shocked if someone was actually charged with a felony unless they've taken active steps to keep the funds. 
Actively charged with a felony and hitting the threshold is a matter of one ambitious prosecutor away. I'd rather keep it away from an ambitious prosecutor. 

By the way, if there's suspicion that I'm coming at this from a drug dealing angle, I most certainly am. 

Obviously each situation is fact specific and investigators presumable would use discretion. And the government still has the burden of proof. 
You're not thinking hard enough about the criminal aspect of drug dealing then. Those are your clients. Are you kidding? Bank errors in cash favoring the client. Easy peasy, you got it. 

Same here - especially if that same party then didn't communicate and try in good faith to resolve the error.

And it's basically my job to be critical of prosecutorial overcharging. 

Actively charged with a felony and hitting the threshold is a matter of one ambitious prosecutor away. I'd rather keep it away from an ambitious prosecutor. 

By the way, if there's suspicion that I'm coming at this from a drug dealing angle, I most certainly am. 
I'm going to guess you haven't worked as a prosecutor. Or judge. Or on a jury.

Users who are viewing this thread