What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game theory and War, knowing your game, infinite versus finite games (1 Viewer)

msommer

Footballguy
Thought provoking TED talk by Simon Sinek on the games we have played and that we play

Is the US playing the right game?

Personally I think he hits on a lot of points here, and unfortunately it seems the US has been playing the wrong type of game, and that the current leadership is possibly incapable of recognizing this

Notsure what it says about Obama's play, was he trying to transition to an infinite game?

There's a ton in that clip and oddly enough, we've talked about many of those things in these threads in the past.  The two things that pop out for me are :

1.  The US being that "beacon on the hill".
2.  The difference between the finite and infinite game.

#1 no longer exists because we don't understand #2 or at best we can't agree on #2.  There was a time where the majority agreed on what it meant to be an American.  That's no longer true.  I am not confident we have EVER understood the difference between the finite and infinite games, but perhaps we did at one point.  Clearly, since I've been alive we have NOT understood or if we did we made poor decisions in execution of our plans muddling the two together.  Current day, China and the Middle East tensions are shining examples of our "enemy" understanding the infinite game and us taking the finite approach.  There's a lot here to talk about, so I'll shut up for a bit and mull over some more thoughts while others chime in.

This has the potential to be a REALLY good thread...well done msommer :thumbup:  

Well - he hit on it a little in the talk - one of the reasons why Trump is particularly bad at being president (and why many people do not even realize this) - is he is a businessman.  He thinks in short-term wins/losses and has no grasp of long-term objectives.

He talks about "Make America Great" but he never talks about what makes America great.  And, when you listen to him, and his supporters - you hear things like "Stock Market" or "Building a Wall" or "Trade Wars - that can be won (or in our case, lost)."

There is no mention of promoting democratic values.  There is no mention of promoting American ingenuity (lets assume that exists).  There is no road map for winning the future - everything is built around "wins" in the moment.  And, no matter his political leanings, this is a very poor way of approaching governmental leadership.  (Not coincidentally, this is also a concern I have about Biden - yes he may move in a direction I prefer, but I don't sense that he has long-term goals in mind either).

And, I think, with our allies, at least, Obama did pursue polices that promoted American values.  And you can go back to W - he may have been the one who really strayed off the beaten path - with his war on terrorism.  Striking back at bin Laden and al queda - I think was a long-term move - telling those that oppose us that we will stand up, and strike back.  But, then we did get bogged down into "short-term"  goals in Iraq and Afghanistan among other places. 

Fast-forward to today and there are very few policies that Trump undertakes to promote American values.  We don't become pals with countries that don't share our philosophies - we make them earn our friendship.  We don't alienate our friends who do share our values.  We don't close our borders to people who want to live, work and contribute to this country.

Great talk, can’t watch with sound on but hopefully the subtitles are right. 

As for “is the US playing the right game?”

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: Noooooooooooooo.

Well - he hit on it a little in the talk - one of the reasons why Trump is particularly bad at being president (and why many people do not even realize this) - is he is a businessman.  He thinks in short-term wins/losses and has no grasp of long-term objectives.

He talks about "Make America Great" but he never talks about what makes America great.  And, when you listen to him, and his supporters - you hear things like "Stock Market" or "Building a Wall" or "Trade Wars - that can be won (or in our case, lost)."

There is no mention of promoting democratic values.  There is no mention of promoting American ingenuity (lets assume that exists).  There is no road map for winning the future - everything is built around "wins" in the moment.  And, no matter his political leanings, this is a very poor way of approaching governmental leadership.  (Not coincidentally, this is also a concern I have about Biden - yes he may move in a direction I prefer, but I don't sense that he has long-term goals in mind either).

And, I think, with our allies, at least, Obama did pursue polices that promoted American values.  And you can go back to W - he may have been the one who really strayed off the beaten path - with his war on terrorism.  Striking back at bin Laden and al queda - I think was a long-term move - telling those that oppose us that we will stand up, and strike back.  But, then we did get bogged down into "short-term"  goals in Iraq and Afghanistan among other places. 

Fast-forward to today and there are very few policies that Trump undertakes to promote American values.  We don't become pals with countries that don't share our philosophies - we make them earn our friendship.  We don't alienate our friends who do share our values.  We don't close our borders to people who want to live, work and contribute to this country.
Absolutely. In order to be President you have to understand and support the idea that old men have to plant trees whose shade they will never sit in. That concept has just disappeared in our foreign policy recently and domestic policy in the past couple of decades. 

Specifically regarding Trump I agree with all of this. It seems he (Trump) is fixed on the finite game, this is most clearly seen in the trade war he started with China - and it seems painfully obvious that China is playing the infinite game rather than Trump's win or lose game. What I don't know is why. Although, in this context the why is not particularly important to those that feel the pain of being outplayed.

Pronably my best case interpretation of Obama was that he played the finite game for immediate political gain, but saw the infinite game going on and wanting to transition to it. The Iran nuclear deal a clear example of that transition, keepping the game going until something better could come along.

Absolutely. In order to be President you have to understand and support the idea that old men have to plant trees whose shade they will never sit in. That concept has just disappeared in our foreign policy recently and domestic policy in the past couple of decades. 
This is a good description of the infinite game, IMHO. Honestly I'm not sure who in the US governments over the years actually grasped this (if not Obama) as Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II all seemed to embrace the rhetoric at least of the finite game. Obama seems a bit of a special case as he on one hand celebrated the killing of OBL and on the other pursued (if unsuccesfully) a disengagement of physical boots on the ground combat in the Middle East

I’ll check out the link when I have some time. But Trump clearly does not understand the idea of a non-zero sum game. He (or we) cannot win unless someone else loses. It’s how a child thinks, unsurprisingly.

It looks like this guy was on the cal fussman podcast.  I want to listen to that before commenting further, but my initial thoughts are:

-yes, I think that we currently have problems with being able to maintain our alliances

i am unsure whether we are really at a disadvantage relative to our enemies specifically because we are trying to play the wrong game.

- I think our enemies who are playing the infinite game do so out of their interests, not their values, which means that the game we play could be irrelevant.

-previous (and likely future) administrations were fairly different than the current administration and I am I clear if this is a commentary strictly on the current admin or not.

-certainly short term thinking is more important in America than long term thinking for the most part.

-this kind of feels like what was going on with hinkie vs the nba...

I’ll try to listen to it tomorrow. The posts so far are quite interesting. I haven’t really considered our foreign policy in terms of game theory. Perhaps I should. But first we would have to agree what “winning” means. 

I’ll try to listen to it tomorrow. The posts so far are quite interesting. I haven’t really considered our foreign policy in terms of game theory. Perhaps I should. But first we would have to agree what “winning” means. 
Or not - you'll understand when you see the video

This was a frustrating clip to watch.  What Sinek is trying to contrast is "short term thinking" vs. "long term thinking," but he (mis)uses terminology drawn from game theory and ends up with a really confused talk.  I'd have to re-watch it to make sure, but I don't think anything Sinek is saying has anything whatsoever to do with game theory.

You definitely need to watch it purely based on your last sentence.

This was a frustrating clip to watch.  What Sinek is trying to contrast is "short term thinking" vs. "long term thinking," but he (mis)uses terminology drawn from game theory and ends up with a really confused talk.  I'd have to re-watch it to make sure, but I don't think anything Sinek is saying has anything whatsoever to do with game theory.
Not sure I understand the distinction you're seeing.  Seem like an appropriate use of terms, but I am not an expert on game theory.  The larger point here seems to be being in it for the long haul as a society and being in it for short term perceived successes.  Whatever you want to call that, I'm fine with, but that seems to be the point.  Seems like our politicians are normally falling in the short term category and end up throwing good money after bad making short term decisions to get the "right now" fix while ignoring the fact that we are slowly dying on the vine.

ETA:  So taking middle east stability...the difference between thinking we can "defeat" group X vs understanding the best we can do is really "contain" group X and that containment, while not specifically a W or a L is the best option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought provoking TED talk by Simon Sinek on the games we have played and that we play

Is the US playing the right game?

Personally I think he hits on a lot of points here, and unfortunately it seems the US has been playing the wrong type of game, and that the current leadership is possibly incapable of recognizing this

Notsure what it says about Obama's play, was he trying to transition to an infinite game?
Thanks for posting and for contributing a new interesting thread.

I see three elements:

• Post cold war behavior. 
  • Acting in our national interest case by case as geopolitical policy vs a values based approach.
  • Whether we are in a currently in the same cold war.
It won't be surprising I guess to hear that I think we have blown the post cold war, just as Sinek says. I think what worked was the system of alliances based in principle on democracy and common values. Key pushpoints here were to my mind Kuwait, Serbia, the Russian elections of 2000, and the global war on terror, but also the approach to the withdrawal from mideast military and policy involvement and the current trade war and military jostling with China in the Pacific. To me it's a continuum, so Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama. - Trump is either a vast accelerant or an aberration, it remains to be seen.

He isn't explicit about Obama but to my mind the "infinite" game is America's role or practice since post Civil War. The problem was undoing the Gordian Knot that Bush put us in. The major problems that Bush caused were: 1. breaking the multilateral rules based international system, and 2. igniting nationalism abroad and in the US as a consequences of his military decisions. If Obama made a mistake it was in not seeing that those forces were continuing and even exacerbated by simply "undoing" what Bush did. I don't know if there is a way out of that. Observing it's happening is/was not really a criticism of Obama either. I'll add I'm very concerned that yes the 'finite' game has left us weakened in terms of a continual expending of different resources over 20 years.

I absolutely agree on the second point. I'm of the mind that acting in the interests of allies before our own or in common with our own is in fact in our national interest, and Sinek is extremely clear on that. Couldn't agree more. What that means in practice is difficult. For instance Pakistan was ruled by military authoritarian dictators for years. Our inability to "fix" that in the midst of policy towards Afghanistan, India and the rest of the mideast led to AQ Khan who helped create the nuclear threat in North Korea and the terrorist threat in Afghanistan. What would have been the right values based policy there? I have no idea, god help the men who make those decisions.

My view of the third point is a little different. IMO it looks like the Cold War, but it's not really. To me Putin has consciously been putting great effort into recreating the actual cold war between the US and Russia. However to my mind the problem was the end of history after 1990 was not a real thing. What we saw was the lid taken off of tensions that existed pre-Cold War. Yugoslavia was the first glimpse of this. I have zero doubt based on the horrors of history that Sinek's point about values based multilateral policy is the right cure. Unfortunately my concern is that the linchpin of it, the USA, is in extreme flux. That point towards the end where he talks about policy objectives and initiatives wildly pointing all over the map is absolutely true. It's extremely weakening and dangerous to us and very helpful and enabling to enemies of democracy who very much want the reimposition of the old, dangerous Great Game rubric.

#My only caveat is about Ivan's point, I don't know much about game theory, so I have no idea if Sinek is right or wrong there.​

I finally had a chance to watch it. Excellent stuff, very thoughtful. My only criticism is that, like so many people trying to express a concept, he tries to fit every example he can think of into it. For instance he made the comment that the USA was trying to win the Vietnam War and the Viet Cong was trying to survive. Neither statement is correct IMO. Had we wanted to “win” we would have invaded North Vietnam. Our flawed strategy in Vietnam, from 1965 on,  was not to win but to protect the South Vietnam regime and wear out the north in order to make them reach a settlement. The Viet Cong, meanwhile, were trying to win; their goal, which they achieved was for the North to conquer the south. So that doesn’t fit in to his theory. 

Despite that though, it was a great talk and his comments about US mistakes at the end of the Cold War are striking. 

Sinek is one of the great online explainers of stuff (why are Canadians so good at that?) and i've learned a lot about culture i'm too old for from him, but he's cherry-picking here. We were drawn into the role of World Cop immediately after the Wall came down because of the general laziness of our allies and that our adolescent position in the world kept us grabbing dinner checks for them so everybody would think we were The Cheese, In addition, the military-industrial complex perpetuated the game for their own interests long after any declarations of victory might have been made. We are in the Middle East now mostly because the MIC  was hearing noise about "peacetime dividends' in the early 90s and saw that the tribalism of that area created 'perpetual war' conditions for them to take their percentages from.

Sinek is one of the great online explainers of stuff (why are Canadians so good at that?) and i've learned a lot about culture i'm too old for from him, but he's cherry-picking here. We were drawn into the role of World Cop immediately after the Wall came down because of the general laziness of our allies and that our adolescent position in the world kept us grabbing dinner checks for them so everybody would think we were The Cheese, In addition, the military-industrial complex perpetuated the game for their own interests long after any declarations of victory might have been made. We are in the Middle East now mostly because the MIC  was hearing noise about "peacetime dividends' in the early 90s and saw that the tribalism of that area created 'perpetual war' conditions for them to take their percentages from.
We had the ability to set the terms under which we engaged.  Ultimately the terms are ours to own, no?  Whether we wanted to be the "hey, let me get the bill...no really, it's on me" guy or not was/is our decision.

We had the ability to set the terms under which we engaged.  Ultimately the terms are ours to own, no?  Whether we wanted to be the "hey, let me get the bill...no really, it's on me" guy or not was/is our decision.
Yeah, agree with that. IIRC much of the world policing, certainly in and around the European theatre was joint with NATO (e.g. Yugoslavia, Chemical weapons in Syria, Libya), the Middle East (Afghanistan, Iraq not so much although there were contributions from NATO member states). So not sure if the laziness comment was directed there.

Of course. My point was that we didn't stop, barely paused, playing the game as we always had except that, because we "won" - largely because we forced Soviet defense spending to an untenable 31% of GNP - a lot of orphaned supplicant countries started call us "daddy" instead of the USSR and that was the level upon which we were playing until the MIC righted our course, so to speak, and gave us the gift of geopolitical polarity again.

My impression is that we didn’t have any kind of strategy after the Cold War ended. We pretty much just reacted to events (which is basically what we always seem to do anyhow.) We allowed a bunch of nations to join NATO because our airplane companies made huge profits selling them weapons. 

My impression is that we didn’t have any kind of strategy after the Cold War ended. We pretty much just reacted to events (which is basically what we always seem to do anyhow.) We allowed a bunch of nations to join NATO because our airplane companies made huge profits selling them weapons. 
The end of the cold war was a huge sea change for pretty much the entire world.  It was especially a huge sea change for the US, which was suddenly thrust into the role of global hegemon.  There was always going to be an adjustment period as we went from a bi-polar to uni-polar to multi-polar world.  I think one of the weaker parts of Sinek's talk is his lack of appreciation for how big a deal this was and his apparent longing for the comparatively-simple world of the cold war vs. the messy and complicated world that we've had since the 1990s.

won't be surprising I guess to hear that I think we have blown the post cold war, just as Sinek says. I think what worked was the system of alliances based in principle on democracy and common values. Key pushpoints here were to my mind Kuwait, Serbia, the Russian elections of 2000, and the global war on terror, but also the approach to the withdrawal from mideast military and policy involvement and the current trade war and military jostling with China in the Pacific. To me it's a continuum, so Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama. - Trump is either a vast accelerant or an aberration, it remains to be seen.
I think we have seen how GWOT was a tremendous failure. In terms of what alternatives there were available I'm not sure maby would have been other than political suicide (with the exception of Iraq). 

Bush Sr had Kuwait and an international coalition. The Saudis were ####ting bricks and Saddam (a fickle ally, at times) had just taken 20% of the world's reserves. Not sure the Saudis could have taken him on with only GCC states help. So I don't see muvh choice there. Unfortunately staying at the bases in Saudi afterwards had nasty downstream consequences. That's probably on Clinton.

Clintons foray into Somalia was a huge mistake though. There has been no improvement the past 25 years and frankly it is hard to see if it even could have been worse without the intervention

A better outcome was the Post Yugoslavia inyervention. It seems to have spawned many good democracies even if the baggage from close to a thousand years of hatred is still around here and there.

Taking down the Taleban unfortunately exposed what a quagmire that country is. It might benefit from being divided into smaller pieces, but not sure how to do that and who should. Not striking back (lashing out?) after 9/11 was not an option though. 

Iraq was an unmitigated disaster with so many unforeseen consequences that it was probably the biggest US blunder in the past century, if not since your independence.

Libya was also a mistake, that primarily the Libyans and Europeans ate paying for still almost a decade on, except for in the ongoing radicalization of young muslims, that one is felt by the world.

So, yeah, it's not a Trump thing at all. He isn't helping, though

SaintsInDome2006 said:
My view of the third point is a little different. IMO it looks like the Cold War, but it's not really. To me Putin has consciously been putting great effort into recreating the actual cold war between the US and Russia. However to my mind the problem was the end of history after 1990 was not a real thing. What we saw was the lid taken off of tensions that existed pre-Cold War. Yugoslavia was the first glimpse of this. I have zero doubt based on the horrors of history that Sinek's point about values based multilateral policy is the right cure. Unfortunately my concern is that the linchpin of it, the USA, is in extreme flux. That point towards the end where he talks about policy objectives and initiatives wildly pointing all over the map is absolutely true. It's extremely weakening and dangerous to us and very helpful and enabling to enemies of democracy who very much want the reimposition of the old, dangerous Great Game rubric.
I think there us a lot to this. Yugoslavia was an artificial construct, held together and repressed by Tito's iron fist and security apparatus. Libya, Iraq, Syria (and Turkey for that matter) all suffer from Sykes-Piquot line drawing joining what shouldn't be joined and separating what should. 

Putin is to some extent fanning the flames whereever he can to stay relevant, domestcally and internationally. Yeltsin made Russia a joke with it's free for almost all kleptocracy, and Putin is doing his best to restore the pride in Russia (at least internally). I'm concerned what will happens when he one day is no longer the leader, will Russia revert to it's Yeltsinesque bumbling weak central power with all the isdues that would create. Obviously Putin has kept the kleptocracy going with most of the population hoodwinked on the nationalism angle.

That aside, on the spectrum of post cold war actions, that has led to the present situation, not sure to what extent other actions could have been taken, except in the case of Libya, and that would require acceoting pictures on nightly news of civilians being mowed down by helicopter gunships.

Contrast that with Iraq that absolutely could and should have been avoided, though, particularly after the Taliban fell in Afghanistan. IMHO the pressure for action as retaliation for 9/11 was off GWB so the aggression was extraneous. Not sure what was at the root of wanting to topple Saddam, Cheney or GWB wanting to finish the job after Kuwait for domestic purposes?

It was a huge mistake and the occupation radicalized the youth and served as a recruitment for the various terrorist organizations.

Was it a finite game ("winning over Saddam") that triggered an infinite one?

I think that one challenge with this clip may be that it is a condensed version of his talk (?)  i am not a huge fan of using binaries for something this complex, but it is possible that he goes into more nuance.

I actually find the idea of the three tensions centralized during the cold war (nuclear, ideological, economic) now being dispersed and filled by a variety of actors more interesting.

Anyway, reading this op-ed from the times last week made me think about this topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/opinion/sunday/endless-war-america.html?searchResultPosition=1https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/opinion/sunday/endless-war-america.html?searchResultPosition=1

I know I shouldn't really post paywall content, but it's hard to pick out the best quotes without the full context.

“We have got to put an end to endless war,” declared Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., during the Democratic presidential primary debate on Thursday. It was a surefire applause line: Many people consider “endless war” to be the central problem for American foreign policy.

Even President Trump, the target of Mr. Buttigieg’s attack, seems to agree. “Great nations do not fight endless wars,” he announced in his latest State of the Union.

But vowing to end America’s interminable military adventures doesn’t make it so. Four years ago, President Barack Obama denounced “the idea of endless war” even as he announced that ground troops would remain in Afghanistan. In his last year in office, the United States dropped an estimated 26,172 bombs on seven countries.

President Trump, despite criticizing Middle East wars, has intensified existing interventions and threatened to start new ones. He has abetted the Saudi-led war in Yemen, in defiance of Congress. He has put America perpetually on the brink with Iran. And he has lavished billions extra on a Pentagon that already outspends the world’s seven next largest militaries combined.

What would it mean to actually bring endless war to a close?

Like the demand to tame the 1 percent, or the insistence that black lives matter, ending endless war sounds commonsensical but its implications are transformational. It requires more than bringing ground troops home from Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. American war-making will persist so long as the United States continues to seek military dominance across the globe. Dominance, assumed to ensure peace, in fact guarantees war. To get serious about stopping endless war, American leaders must do what they most resist: end America’s commitment to armed supremacy and embrace a world of pluralism and peace.

In theory, armed supremacy could foster peace. Facing overwhelming force, who would dare to defy American wishes?

In May, Vice President Mike Pence told graduating cadets at West Point: “It is a virtual certainty that you will fight on a battlefield for America at some point in your life. You will lead soldiers in combat. It will happen.” Mr. Pence enumerated the potential fronts: the greater Middle East, the Indo-Pacific, Europe, the Western Hemisphere. He had a point. So long as the United States seeks military domination everywhere, it will fight somewhere.

In theory, armed supremacy could foster peace. Facing overwhelming force, who would dare to defy American wishes? That was the hope of Pentagon planners in 1992; they reacted to the collapse of America’s Cold War adversary not by pulling back but by pursuing even greater military pre-eminence. But the quarter-century that followed showed the opposite to prevail in practice. Freed from one big enemy, the United States found many smaller enemies: It has launched far more military interventions since the Cold War than during the “twilight struggle” itself. Of all its interventions since 1946, roughly 80 percent have taken place after 1991.

Why have interventions proliferated as challengers have shrunk? The basic cause is America’s infatuation with military force. Its political class imagines that force will advance any aim, limiting debate to what that aim should be. Continued gains by the Taliban, 18 years after the United States initially toppled it, suggest a different principle: The profligate deployment of force creates new and unnecessary objectives more than it realizes existing and worthy ones.

In the Middle East, endless war began when the United States first stationed troops permanently in the region after winning the Persian Gulf war in 1991. A circular logic took hold. The United States created its own dependence on allies that hosted and assisted American forces. It provoked states, terrorists and militias that opposed its presence. Among the results: The United States has bombed Iraq almost every year since 1991 and spent an estimated $6 trillion on post-9/11 wars.

An even deadlier phase may be dawning. Because the United States pursues armed dominance as a self-evident good, the establishment feels threatened by a rising China and an assertive Russia. “Some of you will join the fight on the Korean Peninsula and in the Indo-Pacific,” Mr. Pence told the cadets, noting that “an increasingly militarized China challenges our presence in the region.” But China’s rise invalidates primacy’s rationale of deterrence, and shows that other powers have ambitions of their own. Addressing the rise of China responsibly will require abandoning nostalgia for the pre-eminence that America enjoyed during the 1990s.

Despite Mr. Trump’s rhetoric about ending endless wars, the president insists that “our military dominance must be unquestioned” — even though no one believes he has a strategy to use power or a theory to bring peace. Armed domination has become an end in itself. Which means Americans face a choice: Either they should openly espouse endless war, or they should chart a new course.

As an American and an internationalist, I choose the latter. Rather than chase an illusory dominance, the United States should pursue the safety and welfare of its people while respecting the rights and dignity of all. In the 21st century, finally rid of colonial empires and Cold War antagonism, America has the opportunity to practice responsible statecraft, directed toward the promotion of peace. Responsible statecraft will oppose the war-making of others, but it will make sure, first and foremost, that America is not fueling violence.

Shrinking the military’s footprint will deprive presidents of the temptation to answer every problem with a military solution.

On its own initiative, the United States can proudly bring home many of its soldiers currently serving in 800 bases ringing the globe, leaving small forces to protect commercial sea lanes. It can reorient its military, prioritizing deterrence and defense over power projection. It can stop the obscenity that America sends more weapons into the world than does any other country. It can reserve armed intervention, and warlike sanctions, for purposes that are essential, legal and rare.

Shrinking the military’s footprint will deprive presidents of the temptation to answer every problem with a violent solution. It will enable genuine engagement in the world, making diplomacy more effective, not less. As the United States stops being a party to every conflict, it can start being a party to resolving conflicts. President Obama’s nuclear agreement with Iran and, to a lesser extent, President Trump’s opening with North Korea suggest that historical enmities can be overcome. Still, these steps have not gone far enough to normalize relations and allow us to get on with living together in a world whose chief dangers — climate change, disease, deprivation — cross borders and require cooperation.

Hawks will retort that lowering America’s military profile will plunge the world into a hostile power’s arms. They are projecting, assuming that one rival will covet and attain the kind of armed domination that has served America poorly. Russia, with an economy the size of Italy’s, cannot rule Europe, whatever it desires. China bears watching but has so far focused its military on denying access to its coasts and mainland. It is a long way from undertaking a costly bid for primacy in East Asia, let alone the world.

In any case, local states are likely to step up if the American military pulls back. The world conjured by the Washington establishment is an empty space, a “power vacuum,” waiting passively to be led. The real world is full of people ready to safeguard their freedom. Today a world with less American militarism is likely to have less militarism in general.

Hawks also warn that restraint will produce chaos, dooming the “rules-based,” “liberal international order.” Ambassador James F. Jeffrey, President Trump’s envoy for Syria, recently told a version of this tale when he pounded the table in anger at Americans’ objections to “endless war.” “Literally scores and scores of American military operations,” he said, “undergird this global security regime and thus undergird the American and Western and U.N. values system.”

But there’s a reason no one can connect the dots from unceasing interventions to a system of law and order. After decades of unilateral actions, crowned by the aggressive invasion of Iraq, it is U.S. military power that threatens international law and order. Rules should strengthen through cooperation, not wither through imposition.

In truth, the largest obstacle to ending endless war is self-imposed. Long told that the United States is the world’s “indispensable nation,” the American people have been denied a choice and have almost stopped demanding one. A global superpower — waging endless war — is just “who we are.”

But it is for the people to decide who we are, guided by the best of what we have been. America “goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy,” Secretary of State John Quincy Adams said in 1821. “She might become the dictatress of the world. She would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.”

Two centuries later, in the age of Trump, endless war has come home. Cease this folly, and America can begin to take responsibility in the world and reclaim its civic peace.

Contrast that with Iraq that absolutely could and should have been avoided, though, particularly after the Taliban fell in Afghanistan. IMHO the pressure for action as retaliation for 9/11 was off GWB so the aggression was extraneous. Not sure what was at the root of wanting to topple Saddam, Cheney or GWB wanting to finish the job after Kuwait for domestic purposes?

It was a huge mistake and the occupation radicalized the youth and served as a recruitment for the various terrorist organizations.
Fwiw, I think there are other things going on here that are/were not obvious:

• The radicalization led to civil war not just in Iraq, post invasion, but in Syria.
  • The refugee problem that resulted, especially from Syria, pushed into Europe.
  • The immigration influx in Europe led to greater nationalism in the EU. The UK is one place where this reverberated but also France, Germany, Italy, Eastern Europe.
  • The tradition of the US leading the way in hemming in foreign adventurism via insistence on international norms, law and organizations was torn up, inviting nations like Russia and China to also act beyond the bounds.
  • Because Iraq were so weakened Iran moved east, exerting influence in Iraq and actually moving into Syria physically. This has caused a sense of encirclement in Saudi Arabia, which as we know always causes increased reaction within authoritarian nations, hence the current lashing out in Yemen and saber rattling in the Gulf.
  • Arguably Iraq also helped reawaken a nascent nativist and nationalist tradition in the US. america is not immune to pre Cold War historical currents.

Yugoslavia was an artificial construct, held together and repressed by Tito's iron fist and security apparatus. Libya, Iraq, Syria (and Turkey for that matter) all suffer from Sykes-Piquot line drawing joining what shouldn't be joined and separating what should. 
This is just a couple examples of what I'm talking about. Post Cold War, the world did not reach the end of history, it just restarted old pathways.

- In Yugoslavia, though yes I agree in principle with the actions of Nato (like I do about Kuwait), Russia, which had just emerged from its Soviet period and was making moves seemingly towards joining the west and a democratic future, felt outrage towards the treatment of their Serbian cousins. This is the stuff of the tsarist era and WW1, but it arguably helped support the rise of Putin and his brand of nationalism.

- In the mideast, we can say yeah Churchill, Lawrence and Bell did exactly that, seemingly randomly drawing lines in the sand leading to brutal authoritarianism, but think of the impact of a Shiite led Iraq and a fractured Syria, the impact on the Arabs, and my guess is that was exactly what they were trying to prevent. Of course they were looking at near history, as opposed to the west in 2003. Here in 2019 we're seeing what likely concerned those minds in 1919 come to fruition. That is, what had once been centuries of Persian-Shia/Arab-Sunni conflict that the Ottomans had managed to suppress using similar boundary drawing and suppression. 

Fwiw, I think there are other things going on here that are/were not obvious:

• The radicalization led to civil war not just in Iraq, post invasion, but in Syria.
  • The refugee problem that resulted, especially from Syria, pushed into Europe.
  • The immigration influx in Europe led to greater nationalism in the EU. The UK is one place where this reverberated but also France, Germany, Italy, Eastern Europe.
  • The tradition of the US leading the way in hemming in foreign adventurism via insistence on international norms, law and organizations was torn up, inviting nations like Russia and China to also act beyond the bounds.
  • Because Iraq were so weakened Iran moved east, exerting influence in Iraq and actually moving into Syria physically. This has caused a sense of encirclement in Saudi Arabia, which as we know always causes increased reaction within authoritarian nations, hence the current lashing out in Yemen and saber rattling in the Gulf.
  • Arguably Iraq also helped reawaken a nascent nativist and nationalist tradition in the US. america is not immune to pre Cold War historical currents.

This is just a couple examples of what I'm talking about. Post Cold War, the world did not reach the end of history, it just restarted old pathways.

- In Yugoslavia, though yes I agree in principle with the actions of Nato (like I do about Kuwait), Russia, which had just emerged from its Soviet period and was making moves seemingly towards joining the west and a democratic future, felt outrage towards the treatment of their Serbian cousins. This is the stuff of the tsarist era and WW1, but it arguably helped support the rise of Putin and his brand of nationalism.

- In the mideast, we can say yeah Churchill, Lawrence and Bell did exactly that, seemingly randomly drawing lines in the sand leading to brutal authoritarianism, but think of the impact of a Shiite led Iraq and a fractured Syria, the impact on the Arabs, and my guess is that was exactly what they were trying to prevent. Of course they were looking at near history, as opposed to the west in 2003. Here in 2019 we're seeing what likely concerned those minds in 1919 come to fruition. That is, what had once been centuries of Persian-Shia/Arab-Sunni conflict that the Ottomans had managed to suppress using similar boundary drawing and suppression. 
It might be that they were trying to prevent it but it has resurfaced nonetheless with the weaker central goverment(s). It may have been better to draw more natural borders and have faith in the instirutions of smaller entities of ethnically uniform societies.

That would however have been very forward thinking for the epoch ( and non arrogant for colonial powers).

I do think his commentary here is interesting.  Growing up the post-cold war period it definitely felt like a lot of these "games" were over.

His overall stuff around leadership and empathy using the infinite game concept is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread