What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Kings "The Outsider", a 10 episode HBO series coming January. Trailer just released (1 Viewer)

I agree with this.. My wife and I were watching it, but I found myself actually drifting off during the last episode or so. This one kind of brought us back and hit the gas. 
This has been said a lot. Everyones entitled tot heir opinion, but remember, in investigative dramas, the clues are supposed to be just as important and exciting to look for. 

The lame scenes seem to have a lot of clues in them. That walk in the cemetery to have the photo of the back of his neck, was important, though not exciting. 

Enjoying this show.  Do they drop the new ones on demand before Sunday typically? 

On a side note, I used to have dreams with a guy that didn't really talk loud yelling at me kinda like the good hoodie.  Weird.

I’m still enjoying it, maybe because I read the book

My wife has lost almost all interest 
I enjoyed all the mystery of the first half of the book revolving around Maitland much more than the second half. For some reason the show boiled that down to two episodes and has spent more time on what I thought was less compelling. 

This episode was probably the weakest of the series.  I was glad that Holly didn’t get taken out.  From the previews it looked like she was goner.  I think the private investigator won’t last too much longer.

Kevrunner said:
This episode was probably the weakest of the series.  I was glad that Holly didn’t get taken out.  From the previews it looked like she was goner.  I think the private investigator won’t last too much longer.
I am sticking with it but this past episode was pretty boring.  I wish they would have just followed the book to the letter.  The pacing was much better IMO

I didn't read the book and I am not looking for a spoiler, but I don't trust the former cop who is in love with Holly.  The fact that he tracked her down, followed her to the detective's house and is offering to work on the case seems funny to me.  I guess that might be apparent, but I hadn't seen anyone else here mention it...

I am sticking with it but this past episode was pretty boring.  I wish they would have just followed the book to the letter.  The pacing was much better IMO
I thought the middle of the book dragged when they stopped bouncing around interviewing people and it got more linear with Holly doing her thing.  

Last night's episode was probably the best of the season.  Too bad last weeks was the worst.  They should have done a better job not making last week suxor with everything they threw at us last night. 

I'm curious if he's gonna attempt to double back on that specific kid or if he moves on.  The masks were FREAKY. They showed all that in the trailers last week so we should be safe. Looking forward to next week.

Not sure what most of you are talking about. This show started so strong and has gone downhill fast. The past few episodes have not been good at all.

My wife is pretty much out and I'm only barely holding on just to see how this ends. Since Bateman left it's been average at best. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what most of you are talking about. This show started so strong and has gone downhill fast. The past few episodes have not been good at all.

My wife is pretty much out and I'm only barely holding on just to see how this ends. Since Bateman left it's been average at best. 
If you're not into the supernatural aspect of this, it's really easy to have this impression of the show. It's understandable because those Bateman episodes set it up as a different kind of show, IMO, especially if you didn't know it was based on a King book. 

I was kind of there at first but embraced it. 

If you're not into the supernatural aspect of this, it's really easy to have this impression of the show. It's understandable because those Bateman episodes set it up as a different kind of show, IMO, especially if you didn't know it was based on a King book. 

I was kind of there at first but embraced it. 
100% correct. My wife and I have really enjoyed this and we embrace the entire supernatural story. It is Stephen King. If you like King you like this. If you are not into fantasy/supernatural you checked out a while ago.

So next week is the finale? I thought this week was just ok anyways, didn’t really accomplish anything but set up the final battle location.  

Thought this episode was an improvement.  I am not sure why they decided to write out Claude's mother and substitute a brother.   I thought the mother was a pretty strong character in the book.

100% correct. My wife and I have really enjoyed this and we embrace the entire supernatural story. It is Stephen King. If you like King you like this. If you are not into fantasy/supernatural you checked out a while ago.
My wife and I are still enjoying it even though we really liked the first episode and mistakenly thought it was a whodunnit crime drama. I hadn’t read the book so the supernatural twist surprised us a bit (although it shouldn’t have too much b/c it’s King). Didn’t dissuade us at all though even if I think the best episode is still the first one. 

Zow said:
I’m worried that the shots and stuff wind up being a Glenn under the dumpster sort of scene. 
Agree. One death.....the one we saw. So I noticed it said season finale. So are we getting a season 2? The story is not over? Or is episode 10 the final one and we are done.

Agree. One death.....the one we saw. So I noticed it said season finale. So are we getting a season 2? The story is not over? Or is episode 10 the final one and we are done.
Of course it was the sorry dude who wasn’t going to come and showed up late. He should have listened to his gut. 

looked around online and next week should be it and we are done. 

I'm trying not to get too deep into the holes of the show, but if the monster needs to eat, where was all the collateral damage from his earlier travels when he was manifesting to take shape? Surely dead animals or other people would have been killed in the other cities where he was transforming. [/spoiler}

I'm into the supernatural stuff and after a strong start have found the show to be really drawn out and average at best.  It's been a struggle for me to get through the last 4 or 5 episodes. The writing and acting needs improvement.  I was hoping for True Detective and got Walking Dead.  

I'm into the supernatural stuff and after a strong start have found the show to be really drawn out and average at best.  It's been a struggle for me to get through the last 4 or 5 episodes. The writing and acting needs improvement.  I was hoping for True Detective and got Walking Dead.  
Welp...tonight is the finale. Hope it’s good. I don’t disagree the show lost some major steam. The first few episodes were outstanding. The rest has been ok. I like the story. Let’s see how it ends tonight. 

How was the ending different than the book?
That’s a looooong post. 

Cliffs Notes:

Holly’s BF wasn’t a thing in the book at all, nor was dude’s brother for that matter (it was his mom). 

They go to the caves they kill El Cuco, that’s it.

Some die, some live but it’s done. 

The book spent a lot of time on the investigation of the first murder and Jason Batemans character. It was the best part by far. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not like how they changed Holly or the ending.

I probably would have liked this better if I had not read the book.

That’s a looooong post. 

Cliffs Notes:

Holly’s BF wasn’t a thing in the book at all, nor was dude’s brother for that matter (it was his mom). 

They go to the caves they kill El Cuco, that’s it.

Some die, some live but it’s done. 

The book spent a lot of time on the investigation of the first murder and Jason Batemans character. It was the best part by far. 
So basically the ending to It. 

Also I thought this was goofy...

Holly “are there more of you?”

El Cuco “I’ve sensed mor...

Ralph “SHUT UP!!”

Holly “Why do you eat?”

El Cuco “I eat to surv...”

Ralph “SHUT UP!!!”

Holly just wants some answers.

The book was okay.  I enjoyed it but not as much as most Stephen King books.  

The TV show:   a big meh.   It started out strong but quickly ran out of gas.  None of the changes from the book were an improvement IMO.   

Users who are viewing this thread