What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Local league situation-WWYD? (1 Viewer)

jomar

Footballguy
one of my leagues is an old neighborhood league thats probably been around 7-8 years.  it's filled with a handful of ex-neighbors and a handful of their kids, ages 16-18.  We throw in $40 each, winner gets $360, runner up $120.  the fact that its not big money and has kids in it has me wondering what i should do.

one of my friends is commish and his 17 year old son has a team.  this week I was playing the 17 yo, and he started Cousins and Rudolph against me.  Except today I go in to check on my game and I see he now has Wentz and Goedert in his lineup.  I check the league site to see that the commish switched out Cousins/Wentz friday night and dropped Rudolph outright for Goedert, who he then put in his lineup.  when I asked the commish about it, I told him that the site shows he did it, but realize it's possible that his kid may have logged in under him.  he says his kid must've done it 'xxxxing kids!' was his response to me.   he texts his kid who claims he switched the players out at the last minute.  Apparently he isn't aware that there is a time-stamped transaction log that says otherwise.  So commish says he will switch back the players.  his only response again was 'xxxxing kids!'

My question is: what else, if anything, should happen here?  its still conceivable I could lose this week and that doesn't seem right.  but it is still just a kid for the most part, and its not a big money league.  on the other hand, he did try to cheat and then lied about it after confronted about it.  seems like he should learn a lesson of some sorts.  but I have no idea how to approach that with his dad, a friend of mine...  the kids team is 3-4 and I'm 4-3, both right around the playoff line.  this cheating could have had some big consequences if things turned out right and it wasn't noticed.

Dad cheated and got caught. Way to set a great example! 

Probably has been going on for years but no one's noticed. 

xxxxing kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let dad handle it and hopefully he's upfront with the rest of the league. He should resign as commissioner. My question is, why does his kid have access to commissioner privileges?

1. If he's reversing everything to the way it should have been, I think commish has done the minimum required.   Awarding you a win even if you lose against his original lineup is not a remedy I would offer if I was commish (which it sounds like what you're looking for, if not, then disregard).  Giving you a "free win" impacts the whole league.  And while I agree that it is reasonable that he face consequences, I would favor different ones. 

2. Beyond that, I'd probably post a league wide message detailing the situation to alert other owners to be on the lookout.  Also I would do it to gently initiate a conversation on what the consequences will be should it happen again.   A good commish will do this automatically, but it doesn't sound like you can count on it.   So if he doesn't, then you should at the least make sure everyone is aware. 

I think if you word it delicately, no one will think you're being anything but reasonable. 

1. If he's reversing everything to the way it should have been, I think commish has done the minimum required.   Awarding you a win even if you lose against his original lineup is not a remedy I would offer if I was commish (which it sounds like what you're looking for, if not, then disregard).  Giving you a "free win" impacts the whole league.  And while I agree that it is reasonable that he face consequences, I would favor different ones. 

2. Beyond that, I'd probably post a league wide message detailing the situation to alert other owners to be on the lookout.  Also I would do it to gently initiate a conversation on what the consequences will be should it happen again.   A good commish will do this automatically, but it doesn't sound like you can count on it.   So if he doesn't, then you should at the least make sure everyone is aware. 

I think if you word it delicately, no one will think you're being anything but reasonable. 
1. which ones would you favor?

2. how do you word delicately that the kid tried to cheat in FF and got caught? 

Seems like since everything was switched back id just leave well enough alone. That's why the time stamps exist. 
so somebody cheats, gets caught, lies about it, you just put back in the players he had before he cheated and move on like nothing happened? 

I'm thinking the kid should be banned from the playoffs this year.  My feeling is that the dad will want to keep this quiet and not let everyone know his kid is a cheater.  but i don't see how that can happen and then somehow this kid makes the playoffs and wins money.  

How are you able to switch players who already played? Once my game starts, the players are out and can't be switched out. In fact they can't be moved until the claim period starts which is the following Tuesday.

Call out the cheaters and demand a refund for everyone. 

Teach the kids a lesson that stealing & lieing will not be tolerated. :thumbup:  

Edit: What I would have done is checking the history of the lneup transaction log. This is very very unlikely to be the first time it's happened.

If you aren't cheating you aren't trying. Kid is 17. Make sure the commish sets it back to the way it's suppose to be and let them know that next time it'll be a serious issue.

If he was swapping in Brady, you let it go.

But he was swapping in Wentz, who hasn't been in the league long enough to get away with that, so throw the flag and have him suspended!

Call out the cheaters and demand a refund for everyone. 

Teach the kids a lesson that stealing & lieing will not be tolerated. :thumbup:  

Edit: What I would have done is checking the history of the lneup transaction log. This is very very unlikely to be the first time it's happened.
I did check back a few weeks but couldn't find anything else

so somebody cheats, gets caught, lies about it, you just put back in the players he had before he cheated and move on like nothing happened? 

I'm thinking the kid should be banned from the playoffs this year.  My feeling is that the dad will want to keep this quiet and not let everyone know his kid is a cheater.  but i don't see how that can happen and then somehow this kid makes the playoffs and wins money.  
If you wanna remain friends with the guy over a $40 league? Yes

one of my leagues is an old neighborhood league thats probably been around 7-8 years.  it's filled with a handful of ex-neighbors and a handful of their kids, ages 16-18.  We throw in $40 each, winner gets $360, runner up $120.  the fact that its not big money and has kids in it has me wondering what i should do.

one of my friends is commish and his 17 year old son has a team.  this week I was playing the 17 yo, and he started Cousins and Rudolph against me.  Except today I go in to check on my game and I see he now has Wentz and Goedert in his lineup.  I check the league site to see that the commish switched out Cousins/Wentz friday night and dropped Rudolph outright for Goedert, who he then put in his lineup.  when I asked the commish about it, I told him that the site shows he did it, but realize it's possible that his kid may have logged in under him.  he says his kid must've done it 'xxxxing kids!' was his response to me.   he texts his kid who claims he switched the players out at the last minute.  Apparently he isn't aware that there is a time-stamped transaction log that says otherwise.  So commish says he will switch back the players.  his only response again was 'xxxxing kids!'

My question is: what else, if anything, should happen here?  its still conceivable I could lose this week and that doesn't seem right.  but it is still just a kid for the most part, and its not a big money league.  on the other hand, he did try to cheat and then lied about it after confronted about it.  seems like he should learn a lesson of some sorts.  but I have no idea how to approach that with his dad, a friend of mine...  the kids team is 3-4 and I'm 4-3, both right around the playoff line.  this cheating could have had some big consequences if things turned out right and it wasn't noticed.
Tough when it's people you know because unfortunately when you point something out like this a lot of people get mad at you, not the ones who cheated. I'd take a real close look back at old logs because there's a solid chance this has happened a few times over the years. And I wouldn't just check the kids team. If you can't find more things, I'd let it go but if you want to say something say it to the father. The worst idea above is going and talking to everyone else in the league behind the backs of the father/dad. Good way to start a big fight.

Lastly, I'd leave the league after this year and not trust either the father or dad with anything ever.

1. which ones would you favor?

2. how do you word delicately that the kid tried to cheat in FF and got caught? 
1. I think the proper thing to do if you don't want to give him another chance, is removal from the league and forfeiture of the entry fees.  Then you find a new owner for his team.  It should be easy to find someone who is willing to manage a team for a free shot at some prize money.   If you want, you can auction off the team to the highest bidder and get extra money into the pot. 

2. Well, I'm not going to write it for you.  Exactly how you do it depends on the dynamics of your league.  But I'm sure you can imagine that there are more hostile and less hostile ways to communicate the problem.  Just do the latter the best you can. 

Who cares?  It's a $40 league.  Kids do stupid stuff.  If you enter a league with 6 high school kids in it, something like this is bound to happen.  Just put the original players back in.  No harm, no foul.  The embarrassment of getting caught cheating should be enough punishment.  Hopefully, this is a learning experience for him.

Who cares?  It's a $40 league.  Kids do stupid stuff.  If you enter a league with 6 high school kids in it, something like this is bound to happen.  Just put the original players back in.  No harm, no foul.  The embarrassment of getting caught cheating should be enough punishment.  Hopefully, this is a learning experience for him.
My thoughts, as well. Making a big deal out of it has a very high chance of ending poorly for the league and the friendships (not just you and commish). Screen shot it, note what happened, be vigilant, and be ready to make a bigger deal out of it if/when there's another issue. 

I would at least suggest that the commissioner write a simple statement to the league stating what happened and how it was fixed. There should be 100% transparency when something like this happens. I am willing to bet someone else in the league might have noticed too, and if they go back and look they will have questions.  Also, have him include any future consequences that might occur if it happens again. Something like this needs to be known by the league, as well as lets the kids know he can't just get away with it. 

Sounds more like a parenting issue than a fantasy football issue.

What would you say to the dad if you witnessed the kid putting a couple Snickers in his pocket at the local grocery store?

When my brother was 14 he got busted stealing a putter from the local golf course.  My mom drove him up there and made him go come clean, and they made him work the entire summer to pay for the putter.  I later traded for that putter and have it to this day.

That kid would be mowing my lawn free for all of 2020 if I were involved.

It makes it difficult since it is a "local / friendly" league where mostly the banter & trash talk is involved, and not high stakes $$. 

However, this is not an acceptable behavior for a commissioner to allow or to tolerate.  Maybe a new commissioner is needed.  

There needs to be some form of consequences for the kid...  playoff suspension this year is an excellent idea, but there needs to be action taken by the commissioner. 

You have few options...  the best suggestion I have is to just offer the commissioner a simple proposal of a Poll...  and have the league vote on the penalty.  But all options are some form of penalty since they are friends and most might not want to see anything happen.... then you step away from the league.  It is not being run well and it will only go downhill from here.  If the commissioner / parent won't do anything, there is no reason for you to waste your time being involved with such a league.  You don't have to call him out or get into any ugly slander with the league and you can just drop your interest in that whole business.  

Don Hutson said:
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY....  they need to learn from their mistakes... not have them brushed under the rug, ignored or whitewashed by daddy! 

It makes it difficult since it is a "local / friendly" league where mostly the banter & trash talk is involved, and not high stakes $$. 

However, this is not an acceptable behavior for a commissioner to allow or to tolerate.  Maybe a new commissioner is needed.  

There needs to be some form of consequences for the kid...  playoff suspension this year is an excellent idea, but there needs to be action taken by the commissioner. 

You have few options...  the best suggestion I have is to just offer the commissioner a simple proposal of a Poll...  and have the league vote on the penalty.  But all options are some form of penalty since they are friends and most might not want to see anything happen.... then you step away from the league.  It is not being run well and it will only go downhill from here.  If the commissioner / parent won't do anything, there is no reason for you to waste your time being involved with such a league.  You don't have to call him out or get into any ugly slander with the league and you can just drop your interest in that whole business.  
None of what you said is consistent with the "local / friendly" nature of the league.  OP should point out the cheating (already done), let the dad/commissioner do whatever he's going to do about it (maybe nothing), and then move on.

Fire the commissioner?  Set off a big leaguewide kerfuffle? Quit the league altogether?  Do any of that and now the OP is "way too serious" guy.  Nobody likes "way too serious" guy.

40 bucks a team entry is basically peanuts so I would just let it go unless you want to do battle.  I have seen lifelong friends part ways over FF disputes.

None of what you said is consistent with the "local / friendly" nature of the league.  OP should point out the cheating (already done), let the dad/commissioner do whatever he's going to do about it (maybe nothing), and then move on.

Fire the commissioner?  Set off a big leaguewide kerfuffle? Quit the league altogether?  Do any of that and now the OP is "way too serious" guy.  Nobody likes "way too serious" guy.
Fair enuf...  but where do you draw the line on Friendly or $$ Leagues?  If money is involved, there is a certain competitive nature present. 

I did not say Fire the Commissioner... "Maybe a new commissioner is needed" since he is not providing leadership in that role and giving lip service. 

I would send a note or talk to the commish to have him post a simple explanation of what happened.  Post what was done about it and what will happen if something like that happens in the future.  This will alert people to check lineups and be aware of something like this happening (which should prevent it from being missed if it happens in the future).  That should be the end of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread