What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

% Chance Cam Newton's On A NFL Roster Week 1 Of 2020 (1 Viewer)

% Chance Cam Newton's On A NFL Roster Week 1 Of 2020

• 91-100% He's On A Roster

Votes: 121 76.6%
  • 81-90% He's On A Roster

Votes: 18 11.4%
  • 71-80% He's On A Roster

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 61-70% He's On A Roster

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 51-60% He's On A Roster

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 41-50% He's On A Roster

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 31-40% He's On A Roster

• 21-30% He's On A Roster

• 11-20% He's On A Roster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0-10% He's On A Roster

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Tough news for Cam Newton as his season is over. I hear some people speculating he could retire. What % chance do you think he's on a roster Week 1 of 2020?

He just has next year left on his contract. He'll try and play it out. If he gets hurt again or the team stinks next year, I think he'll hang em up.

If he wants to play, there's no shortage of teams that would sign him.  But he's made about 100M to this point, which is enough money to leave behind a job that risks turning your brain into jello.

He's scheduled to make 20M next year with only a 2M Dead Cap hit, so (IMO) he looks like an easy cut for the Panthers.

I think he plays one more season, but the Andrew Luck thing might be a trend

On a roster.... Yes. High 90% range. 

Starting .... whole different story ... ~40%

Panthers Org/ Owner is a pure businessman. He will not pay out the $20M for him to not be QB1 and will not sign $100+M contract unless certain he is healthy. I just don’t see it happening. He will be in another town. Miami, Wash, Jax, or even Cleveland!!  I project Miami as FA

I voted 81-90% to account for the possibility that the Panthers cut him at the end of training camp and he signs with another team after Week 1.

But I am 100% certain that he'll be on an NFL roster next season.

imo his injury seems like a serious one and may not have him on an active roster week 1. 

only costs 2 mil to move on. I expect carolina to do so

For the sake of my dynasty team (superflex) that has him under contract for one more year;  I hope he gets healthy and looks good so I can trade him away quickly in preseason next year. 

I hope you're not expecting much.
nope.  just want to get rid of the contract.   QB's are hard to come by and there are some QB needy teams.  A good report or two and someone might be willing to take a chance for the cheap....fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can think of at least 6-7 teams who would happily give 25+ million a year to have him as a starter, as long as he is healthy. I'd love to have him in Chicago, and they make a lot of sense, as they don't have a 1st round pick, and one would have to think the Trubisky experiment is nearing its end. He's the worst starting QB in the NFL, and is honestly making me miss Cutler.

I can think of at least 6-7 teams who would happily give 25+ million a year to have him as a starter, as long as he is healthy. I'd love to have him in Chicago, and they make a lot of sense, as they don't have a 1st round pick, and one would have to think the Trubisky experiment is nearing its end. He's the worst starting QB in the NFL, and is honestly making me miss Cutler.
Let's not get crazy, now!    

I think trubiwky is better than he shows because he HAS shown that he can be better but it certainly does damper any outlook we had of him being a really good franchise QB.

Let's not get crazy, now!    

I think trubiwky is better than he shows because he HAS shown that he can be better but it certainly does damper any outlook we had of him being a really good franchise QB.
I hope he's better than he's shown, because what he's shown is an inability to do anything positive on a consistent basis. They'd probably have 2 more wins with Chase Daniel starting, let alone a good QB. 

My issue with Trubisky is he looks like the exact same player he was in start #1 of his rookie season, like he hasn't improved at all. Jameis Winston is the same way, but he started at a much higher level than Trubisky and obviously has better WR's. 

Even when the stats looked nice in 2018, it was very clear Trubisky wasn't playing well. He'd make a decent throw, then have the same read, and same throw, and not even come close to completing it. Last year was mostly great play design and RAC. Teams adjusted, or figured out Nagy's scheme(or Trubisky's limitations) and those RAC plays aren't there anymore.

Either way, I'd happily welcome Cam Newton to town, or Marcus Mariota even. Mariota also hasn't really improved, but at least he doesn't turn it over much. Andy Dalton, anybody else really. I've seen enough of Trubisky to not consider him a starting NFL QB. He's Blake Bortles with a weaker arm.

Crossing threads a bit, but Trubisky is a shining example of why teams with high draft picks, shouldn't just draft a QB because they need one. The Bears have a Super Bowl contending team, and are in last place in their division, almost entirely because of the QB. I'd be seriously disappointed if the Bears don't do something this offseason at QB, and while Cam may be a pipe dream, and likely to have several suitors(if he even is available) a guy like Dalton would be enough. 

He is absolutely on a roster.  Taking a year off may help his body heal 
Man what a steal a healthy, rested Newton could be in redraft next year. maybe a buy-low in dynasty now too. 

Coming into this season his arm looked like it was stronger than it had been - there was some buzz about that. 

At least worthy of a gamble as a late QB2. 

@Joe Bryant your question isn't really whether or not Cam will be on a roster, it's whether or not Cam will retire.

Look at the QB rosters of every NFL team. If Cam does not retire it is a mortal certainty that he will be on an NFL roster. 

I know you get my point, which is why I wonder why you made your poll unnecessarily complicated. It's a Yes/No question.

I also have little doubt that he'll be cut by the Panthers and he'll be starting for someone else next year. I doubt he wants to go out like this assuming he's healthy enough.

The interesting thing will be how successful he can be, assuming he'll have to morph into more of a pocket passer if his speed/explosiveness is no longer there. And pocket passing was never a strength of us. Doesn't sound too different from Daunte Culpepper, who wasn't as good as Cam is, but still couldn't adjust.

@Joe Bryant your question isn't really whether or not Cam will be on a roster, it's whether or not Cam will retire.

Look at the QB rosters of every NFL team. If Cam does not retire it is a mortal certainty that he will be on an NFL roster. 

I know you get my point, which is why I wonder why you made your poll unnecessarily complicated. It's a Yes/No question.
Exactly this. There is a 0.0000000% chance that even a hobbled Cam seeking employment in the 2020 off season will not have multiple suitors. 

I think it's almost a lock he is on an NFL roster because I don't think he is ready to retire so he will have a home. That being said an early retirement is possible. These guys make a ton of money and take a beating. On top of that I know it's hard for us to believe but some of these guys maybe don't even like football that much but the money is good. Once they have made the big money some guys just say screw it, I want my health and I have made enough to live a comfortable life. 

Give an elite, 30 year old athlete like Cam an entire year to heal up and rehab.... I think he will be back with some team and I think his play will be noteworthy.

I voted 81-90% to account for the possibility that the Panthers cut him at the end of training camp and he signs with another team after Week 1.

But I am 100% certain that he'll be on an NFL roster next season.

Is there something higher than 100%? 

he’ll be on a roster. 
I'd have agreed, but we've seen Andrew Luck and others retire despite probably being okay to play.

Above 50%, but beyond that I don't know. 

Does this question assume he is healthy in Week 1 of 2020?

If so, I can't see how this would be anything but 100%.

But Luck factor causes some variability. Still voted 91-100%.

I said it after his last game on the field. He looked like he was done. Not just physically...but emotionally. He lost that swagger and energy he played with. When your as banged up and knocked around as much as he has been since his Super Bowl appearance.....it happens. His game was predicated on his physical dominance at the position. The dominance is a distant memory due to injury.

He was great. Now......I think he hangs up his cleats. Just my opinion. I can hear that line from Rocky 4 "That's not us anymore Apollo we can't do that anymore, we have become civilized."

I think Cam will weigh his options and say to himself. I don't need this anymore. He has made an incredible amount of money. He can leave the game rich and walking straight and have his marbles in place between his ears.

I said it after his last game on the field. He looked like he was done. Not just physically...but emotionally. He lost that swagger and energy he played with. When your as banged up and knocked around as much as he has been since his Super Bowl appearance.....it happens. His game was predicated on his physical dominance at the position. The dominance is a distant memory due to injury.

He was great. Now......I think he hangs up his cleats. Just my opinion. I can hear that line from Rocky 4 "That's not us anymore Apollo we can't do that anymore, we have become civilized."

I think Cam will weigh his options and say to himself. I don't need this anymore. He has made an incredible amount of money. He can leave the game rich and walking straight and have his marbles in place between his ears.
I think his lack of emotion and swagger was because of his foot injury.  He knew he couldn't play the way he wanted to with that injury.  I think what we saw was frustration. 

If he gets that healthy to where he can move around I don't have any doubt the swagger comes back.  The question is will he get healthy or is the foot injury a bigger deal than it seems.  He will basically be resting for almost a full year so he should be healthy. 

If he wants to play, there's no shortage of teams that would sign him.  But he's made about 100M to this point, which is enough money to leave behind a job that risks turning your brain into jello.

He's scheduled to make 20M next year with only a 2M Dead Cap hit, so (IMO) he looks like an easy cut for the Panthers.

I think he plays one more season, but the Andrew Luck thing might be a trend
Andrew Luck is the only one to do it, so not even close to being a trend.

I don't think I've ever seen a poll this lopsided.

Also don't get the sentiment that he's going to get cut.  20 mil is nothing for a franchise QB and he's huge in the community.  Teams would kill for a franchise QB.  Worth the risk to spend 20 mil and see what he's got.  Beyond that, why cut him if someone will send you a draft choice for him?

I think his lack of emotion and swagger was because of his foot injury.  He knew he couldn't play the way he wanted to with that injury.  I think what we saw was frustration. 

If he gets that healthy to where he can move around I don't have any doubt the swagger comes back.  The question is will he get healthy or is the foot injury a bigger deal than it seems.  He will basically be resting for almost a full year so he should be healthy. 
I don’t think he has played the way he has wanted for a few seasons now. So it may be wearing on him.

seahawk 17 said:
Andrew Luck is the only one to do it, so not even close to being a trend.
Calvin Johnson, Gronk, Patrick Willis, Chris Borland, Andrew Luck, tiki barber (although that was a while ago)....

Todem said:
I don’t think he has played the way he has wanted for a few seasons now. So it may be wearing on him.
Maybe, although he was pretty good last year. Not as dominant as 15 of course.  I think Ron was trying to get him to run a bit less but that never really worked out. 

91-100% is a pretty wide range for this sort of question. It is rare for 30-year-old quarterbacks to be the starter one year and out of a job the next.

Over the last 20 years (1999-2018), there were 91 quarterbacks who threw for 3000+ yards at age 29-31. 89 of the 91 (97.8%) were on a roster the next year; Elvis Grbac and Andrew Luck retired. I don't have an easy way to check if all 89 were on the week 1 roster, but I did check a few of the shakiest guys and it looks like they all were (e.g. Rex Grossman was demoted to 3rd string in 2012 but still stuck on the WAS roster.)

So if you think that Cam Newton is 4x as likely to retire as the average for this group of 91 QBs (because of injuries, loss of motivation, decline in talent, or whatever), that would still leave him at 91.2% likely to stick around.

Joe Summer said:
He will be the starting quarterback for the Chicago Bears in 2020.
As a Bears fan this was my first thought when I saw this thread.  There is a 0% chance he can beat out the great Mitchell Trubisky. 

Unless there is further risk of permanent damage i agree with the 0% chance of retirement.  He seems to have a tremendous competitive nature about him from everything I have seen in his career. 

91% chance he is on a roster
3% chance he retires on his own
6% chance he decides to become a fashion mogul and market men's rompers, headscarves, and capri pants

Nope. Clearly:

No player has ever retired before they could no longer perform on the field. 
I just think Luck was the first one to be brutally honest. Newton will not be the same. I honestly wanted to blow you up because I thought you were being confrontational. However, I also like Pina Coladas in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread