What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Walls are Oozing (1 Viewer)

I have no good update. I'm a bit pissed off. Have a couple of things to do but will post a complete update later.

Bottom line, the bee guy that was supposed to be coming was actually Terminix who thought he was coming over to do a "routine exterior pest control" because that was what they put on the service call. They also signed me up for some sort of contract - no clue how this happened. He didn't have any bee investigatory equipment and didn't really seem like an expert on this topic. He personally didn't think it was bees but he called one of his associates who is apparently an expert for back up who said it seemed like it was probably bees.  

He suggested we cut a hole in the wall to see what is back there, which as others have mentioned seems like a really freaking bad idea if I'm not 100% sure there aren't multiple 8' x 4' hives in my walls. 

Blackdot.

Was it your wife that signed a contract while you were at work?  That would totally be a thing my wife would do.

OK so here's a real update. I called a local bee guy who had 24x7 service on their website on Saturday and explained the situation and his response was that it sounded like it was probably honey bees (I was on the phone with him for about a half an hour) and they didn't do that, but he would get me in contact with his honey bee guy and then he conferenced me into a call with another company who took down all my info. That company was apparently Terminix and put in a service call for routine exterior pest control and apparently signed me up for some kind of recurring contract. So the guy who showed up today thought he was spraying around the outside of my house and he didn't really seem like an authority on bees. 

So after talking to him and showing him some of the areas that still had stains on the walls, he said he doesn't think it's bees for the following reasons:

• He said if we had hives that were producing that much honey to leak through multiple walls in that many places, there would be 10s of 1000s of bees in the wall and it would sound like a freight train in my living room
  • He doesn't think it is likely that they would have spread to two different walls on opposite sides of the room
  • He says we would have noticed "activity" all summer around the outside of the house
But then he said he was going to call an expert and called his buddy and had him on speaker phone who apparently is a bee guy and that guy said it sounded like it was bees. He also said it may be wasps because even though they don't make honey, they have a "mess."

The guy said to just wait and see if it happens again and if so don't clean up the mystery substance and call him. He also suggested cutting a hole in the wall. 😲

So I don't even know if we just leave it and assume it was some weird condensation/leeching and move on or get a real bee person here with appropriate investigative equipment. 

New update as I am typing: I mentioned this earlier in the story, while I was investigating the ooze, there was a "bee" flying around my living room that I thought came out of the curtains which is what set us down the bee path in the first place. Well when I was telling my wife what the guy said,  she said that the bee that was in the house was actually a wasp (she opened the door and it flew outside). And my response was - well that was in the curtains and could have just been a coincidence. She then told me that she actually saw it crawl out of the recessed lighting in the ceiling before it went into the curtains. 😪

So this guy today had me convinced that it was just a weird freak ooze and there was nothing to worry about and I'm doing a 180 again. I have to get a real bee guy out here. 

OK so here's a real update. I called a local bee guy who had 24x7 service on their website on Saturday and explained the situation and his response was that it sounded like it was probably honey bees (I was on the phone with him for about a half an hour) and they didn't do that, but he would get me in contact with his honey bee guy and then he conferenced me into a call with another company who took down all my info. That company was apparently Terminix and put in a service call for routine exterior pest control and apparently signed me up for some kind of recurring contract. So the guy who showed up today thought he was spraying around the outside of my house and he didn't really seem like an authority on bees. 

So after talking to him and showing him some of the areas that still had stains on the walls, he said he doesn't think it's bees for the following reasons:

• He said if we had hives that were producing that much honey to leak through multiple walls in that many places, there would be 10s of 1000s of bees in the wall and it would sound like a freight train in my living room
  • He doesn't think it is likely that they would have spread to two different walls on opposite sides of the room
  • He says we would have noticed "activity" all summer around the outside of the house
But then he said he was going to call an expert and called his buddy and had him on speaker phone who apparently is a bee guy and that guy said it sounded like it was bees. He also said it may be wasps because even though they don't make honey, they have a "mess."

The guy said to just wait and see if it happens again and if so don't clean up the mystery substance and call him. He also suggested cutting a hole in the wall. 😲

So I don't even know if we just leave it and assume it was some weird condensation/leeching and move on or get a real bee person here with appropriate investigative equipment. 

New update as I am typing: I mentioned this earlier in the story, while I was investigating the ooze, there was a "bee" flying around my living room that I thought came out of the curtains which is what set us down the bee path in the first place. Well when I was telling my wife what the guy said,  she said that the bee that was in the house was actually a wasp (she opened the door and it flew outside). And my response was - well that was in the curtains and could have just been a coincidence. She then told me that she actually saw it crawl out of the recessed lighting in the ceiling before it went into the curtains. 😪

So this guy today had me convinced that it was just a weird freak ooze and there was nothing to worry about and I'm doing a 180 again. I have to get a real bee guy out here. 
I have thought of one other possibility besides bees/wasps or surfactant leaching.

I have seen instances where metal used in the inner structure rusts from condensation or other sources of water & results in a liquid similar to leaching. Other structure materials can also deteriorate and act similarly. 

Most all of my experience is with older houses, so I am not sure how often this occurs in newer structures.

In this case, stopping the leaking/condensation and applying a strain blocker under any new paint can help prevent new stains from appearing.  However, if the damage is bad, it may take multiple layers of stain blockers and paint over time.

On the whole, I still think this is better than an insect problem. And, to note again, I don't know enough to rule out insects - just adding some other possibilities.

I have thought of one other possibility besides bees/wasps or surfactant leaching.

I have seen instances where metal used in the inner structure rusts from condensation or other sources of water & results in a liquid similar to leaching. Other structure materials can also deteriorate and act similarly. 

Most all of my experience is with older houses, so I am not sure how often this occurs in newer structures.

In this case, stopping the leaking/condensation and applying a strain blocker under any new paint can help prevent new stains from appearing.  However, if the damage is bad, it may take multiple layers of stain blockers and paint over time.

On the whole, I still think this is better than an insect problem. And, to note again, I don't know enough to rule out insects - just adding some other possibilities.
Oh I agree I would much rather have this be some sort of condensation or leaching. Let me ask a question though - would the fluid be thick and sticky if it was old structure rusting?

Oh I agree I would much rather have this be some sort of condensation or leaching. Let me ask a question though - would the fluid be thick and sticky if it was old structure rusting?
It depends on the material that the fluid has to travel through before appearing on your side of the wall.

Drywall/sheetrock/adobe/etc and wall paper (glue) can all add solids to the mixture and produce some pretty thick paste.

I'll think some more.

OK so here's a real update. I called a local bee guy who had 24x7 service on their website on Saturday and explained the situation and his response was that it sounded like it was probably honey bees (I was on the phone with him for about a half an hour) and they didn't do that, but he would get me in contact with his honey bee guy and then he conferenced me into a call with another company who took down all my info.
Nice try, @Rick Harrison

Was your wife ever planning to tell you that a wasp climbed out of the recessed lighting?  

Can you imagine millions of Wasps living in your walls!!!  I’d rather have bees.  What kind of ‘mess’ do wasps make?  I could not sleep in your house.  Nope. 

Was your wife ever planning to tell you that a wasp climbed out of the recessed lighting?  
Apparently not....  :wall:  The problem is that she is convinced it is bees (she saw something on Discovery Channel or something about giant hives in walls) that it's a foregone conclusion for her and isn't participating heavily in the investigative aspect of this.

Users who are viewing this thread