What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

This was going to be one of my picks today! I think we do pick two. I am leaving town later on today, and will be gone until Sunday. I am not sure if Eephus wants me to make 6 picks today or make up four on Sunday.
I've been going to see Cary Ann and Michael play for like 15 years.  Cary Ann's old band was called Gun Street Girls and Michael was in a band called the Films.

Now they host their own music festival here called Highwater.

I've been going to see Cary Ann and Michael play for like 15 years.  Cary Ann's old band was called Gun Street Girls and Michael was in a band called the Films.

Now they host their own music festival here called Highwater.
I may have to come see that festival some time. I'm only about 4 1/2 hours away from Charleston.

Since I seem to be specializing in prolific musicians who put out a lot of music.....

14.06 Jack White - Blunderbuss - 2012

This is a terrific album from an artist who can be hit and miss for me; mostly hit though.  I put this one up near the top of his work and listening to it now, have forgotten how much I loved this and played it when it came out.  He experimented quite a bit with different instruments and techniques and on this album, it works beautifully.  

Album kicks off with Missing Pieces, which is a great opening track.  

Sixteen Saltines and the next track Freedom at 21 are short songs that rock your face off from the jump with Jack just shredding.

The album's highlight for me is Hypocritical Kiss, which seems to be an argument between Jack and Meg with Jack singing from the point of view of both them, changing positions midway from Jack to Meg's vantage point.  It's brilliant.  This is sung from Meg's POV and man, is it cutting!

You're the boy that talks but says nothin'
A big game to the ones that you think'll believe you, yeah
But you don't know how to read
The look on my face when it says, "Yeah, I've read that book too"
And who the hell's impressed by you?
I want names of the people that we know that are fallin' for this
You would sell your own mother out
And then betray your dead brother with another hypocritical kiss

Last edited by a moderator:
Been sitting on this one, figure now is the time.....

15.06 - War on Drugs - Slave Ambient - 2011

Feel like this is a band most of us in here enjoy.  I know my GB @Tiger Fan likes these guys quite a bit.  Before they really perfected their craft and sound, they were putting out some pretty awesome music for guys like me who enjoy longer running tunes with more music than vocals.  Slave Ambient fits the bill perfectly for me.  A bit boring for some, but on long walks (or jogs when I wasn't such a slug) this is the sort of music I gravitate towards.

Best Night is the albums opener and portends what's to follow on subsequent tracks.  Soothing for me.

Brothers follows as the next song and again, just a nice, mellow tune to shadow your day.

I Was There more of the same and you know what?  That's more than okay.

20.xx - United We Swing: Best of the Jazz at Lincoln Theater Galas by Wynton Marsalis Septet (2018)

I hope my last pick flys with Sheriff Eephus. The album consist of songs that were recorded between 2003 and 2007. The songs are various artists performing with Wynton and his Septet, and the songs were never released before. All the proceeds from the album go towards the jazz at the Lincoln Center's education programs, and introduce children to the world of jazz.  I like all the songs on the album except for one that I don't hate, but I skip it sometimes. 

I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town - Featuring Ray Charles

Milk Cow Blues - Featuring Willie Nelson

I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to Be Free - Featuring Tedeschi Trucks Band

Rd 14 Present Tense by Wild Beasts (2014)

genre: synth rock, dream pop 

Lucky for us, there’s no one else like them and on Present Tense, their success has allowed Wild Beasts to be even more like themselves. - Pitchfork

it's their most human – a mesmeric bundle of contradictions, indignities and pleasures. A sobering look at the world we all share, but willing to laugh, cry and gasp along with us - Pretty Much Amazing

Wanderlust

Mecca

Sweet Spot

Rd 15 Sunbather by Deafheaven (2013)

genre: blackgaze, post metal

it has the ability to capture the attention of people who don't normally listen to heavy music. - Pitchfork 

Deafheaven’s music isn’t about making things as heavy as possible. Instead, its approach is akin to a painter-understanding that much of art’s beauty lies in the blank space on the canvas that makes the flashes of color that much more awe-inspiring. -A.V. Club

Dream House

Sunbather

The Pecan Tree

Trimming down to the last 5 is going to be haaaard. I haven’t listened to the playlist yet but if nothing else this draft has reminded me of so many great albums I loved this decade, some great times I’ve had and all that BS. Thanks for putting it on.

Rd 15 Sunbather by Deafheaven (2013)
My friend loves this album. Adores it. The cover's washed out artwork is done by the guitarist by this band, Nick Steinhardt, whose involvement in his own band's artistic requirements is nearly unparalleled in rock.

16.12 - Touché Amoré - 10 Years/1000 Shows - Live at the Regent Theater - 2018

This is my island right, not an intro? I hope. A quarter or so of these lyrics are given to us via audience participation, requiring a knowledge of the songs before the shows. I've seen them live. There's no contrivance taken on this record. This is simply the best of from the best (arguably) punk/hardcore act of the teens in their live element, a band that exists in the true spirit of the teens (their debut is 2008). Anyway, starting with a few harmonics, the band launches into a set that spans the time and distance between Parting The Sea Between Brightness And Me, Is Survived By, To The Beat Of A Dead Horse, Touche Amore, and Stage Four.

~

Flowers and You

The Great Repetition

Is Survived By

My friend loves this album. Adores it. The cover's washed out artwork is done by the guitarist by this band, Nick Steinhardt, whose involvement in his own band's artistic requirements is nearly unparalleled in rock.
I also love it and would have taken it much earlier but I know this isn’t a metal heavy crowd so I figured it would last. I couldn’t even name another metal album this decade that I sort of liked. Sunbather is a unicorn. 

I also love it and would have taken it much earlier but I know this isn’t a metal heavy crowd so I figured it would last. I couldn’t even name another metal album this decade that I sort of liked. Sunbather is a unicorn. 
I used to listen to a reasonable amount of metal and this, while not the heaviest ever, brings the heavy to certain elements that haven't really been explored. My first thought was "too heavy," actually and I haven't revisited it. It just might beg that chance. 

I used to listen to a reasonable amount of metal and this, while not the heaviest ever, brings the heavy to certain elements that haven't really been explored. My first thought was "too heavy," actually and I haven't revisited it. It just might beg that chance. 
When it’s heavy, it’s very heavy but it has dynamics and some texture that I don’t think I’ve heard much in metal.

Trimming down to the last 5 is going to be haaaard. I haven’t listened to the playlist yet but if nothing else this draft has reminded me of so many great albums I loved this decade, some great times I’ve had and all that BS. Thanks for putting it on.
x 2 here.  Some great discoveries already.  And you're right, I do like U.F.O.F.  

Also buying my dad a Beth Hart CD (he still values the CD and at 75, he ain't budging off this).  Honestly think it's been 10 years easily since I bought a CD and it might have been at Borders Books. :lmao:

14.xx - Hinds - I Don't Run (2018)

I've hemmed and hawed at which of their two LPs I wanted.  This is the only band that hit #1 in my NV AOTY polls twice this decade, I believe.

They're a quartet from Spain with a pretty unique sound - two lead singers who trade vocals often mid-verse, ranging from being in complete harmony to sounding like a cat screeching while singing over each other.  First album was decidedly more surf-pop-ish, but this album made more of a decisive move toward a lo-fi garage rock sound.  Most of their live shows and music videos just consist of them drinking beer and smoking cigarettes, because why not? 

"The Club" (Live on KEXP)

"Finally Floating"

"Soberland" (Live on KEXP)

"Tester"

Rd 14 Present Tense by Wild Beasts (2014)

genre: synth rock, dream pop 

Lucky for us, there’s no one else like them and on Present Tense, their success has allowed Wild Beasts to be even more like themselves. - Pitchfork

it's their most human – a mesmeric bundle of contradictions, indignities and pleasures. A sobering look at the world we all share, but willing to laugh, cry and gasp along with us - Pretty Much Amazing

Wanderlust

Mecca

Sweet Spot
Love this one. Did not expect to see it here.

14.xx - Hinds - I Don't Run (2018)

I've hemmed and hawed at which of their two LPs I wanted.  This is the only band that his #1 in my NV AOTY polls twice this decade, I believe.

They're a quartet from Spain with a pretty unique sound - two lead singers who trade vocals often mid-verse, ranging from being in complete harmony to sounding like a cat screeching while singing over each other.  First album was decidedly more surf-pop-ish, but this album made more of a decisive move toward a lo-fi garage rock sound.  Most of their live shows and music videos just consist of them drinking beer and smoking cigarettes, because why not? 

"The Club" (Live on KEXP)

"Finally Floating"

"Soberland" (Live on KEXP)

"Tester"
There are Hinds themed beer cans up here now from Collective Arts. I thought about stashing a couple away to bring to Bonnaroo for you but the beer inside is a just okay lager now, I'm not sure five months aging is going to do much for it.

There are Hinds themed beer cans up here now from Collective Arts. I thought about stashing a couple away to bring to Bonnaroo for you but the beer inside is a just okay lager now, I'm not sure five months aging is going to do much for it.
What's it called?  I wonder if it's on the shelves here and I haven't noticed it.  I don't buy their cans much, kinda pricey.

I will zig a little bit with these two, as soundtracks don't usually get taken, but....

15.08:  TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS - THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)

In Motion

Intriguing Possibilities 

Hand Covers Bruise

16.08:  JONNY GREENWOOD - PHANTOM THREAD (2018)
Alma

Sandalwood I
Nice work with both. Both were lauded and The Social Network's score was wonderful in its pacing within the movie. Very Sorkin-esque in that it is frenetic yet clipped, like the dialogue. Maybe clipped isn't the term of art, but Sorkin tends to write really concise, emotive, frenetic emotional dialogue and the music, while ethereal, seemed to match the pacing. 

The Greenwood was nominated for an Oscar, wasn't it? Or was that a Grammy? 

Nice work with both. Both were lauded and The Social Network's score was wonderful in its pacing within the movie. Very Sorkin-esque in that it is frenetic yet clipped, like the dialogue. Maybe clipped isn't the term of art, but Sorkin tends to write really concise, emotive, frenetic emotional dialogue and the music, while ethereal, seemed to match the pacing. 

The Greenwood was nominated for an Oscar, wasn't it? Or was that a Grammy? 
Nominated for an Oscar for PT, but lost to Shape of Water's score.  

Oh dear God. I'm sorry. I forgot that it was spotlighting. My apologies. When I wrote that, it was a fun way to get Jaysus involved.

:bag:

I've got a personal foul. 
I'll share my list at the end of the draft for giggles... well, also to complain about 3 big snubs on my list that have not been drafted yet ;)

15.e - Collapse Into Now - R.E.M.  (2011)

Collapse Into Now is the only path for one of my all-time bands onto the island.  Their swan song is probably my favorite of their 21st century studio albums.  Second-tier R.E.M. is better than first-tier albums from most artists.

Mine Smell Like Honey

Walk It Back

ÜBerlin
I was listening to Life's Rich Pageant on my way into work thinking that these guys became an "afterthought" rather quickly - meaning they've become overlooked in a historical sense. I remember reading articles calling them the greatest American band of all-time during their heyday but now it's almost as if they never even existed to some extent.  

I was listening to Life's Rich Pageant on my way into work thinking that these guys became an "afterthought" rather quickly - meaning they've become overlooked in a historical sense. I remember reading articles calling them the greatest American band of all-time during their heyday but now it's almost as if they never even existed to some extent.  
That's actually kinda right. And dolts like me cheap shot them in the GOAT thread. Seriously never got R.E.M. But there are too many people whose music tastes are similar to mine like them for me not to. And I think the singles are just fine. In fact, "Orange Crush" will pop into my head at random, as will "Man On The Moon." Those are actually earworms. So I'm not talking smack about them anymore, it's just that, I dunno, I'm just not going to sit with precious time and listen to them normally. That may be way as much on me as on the band, just sort of sussing out why you say what you say is, because R.E.M. seems to have fallen off a cliff in pop culture, really. 

16...  Spoon - Hot Thoughts (2017)
This album came out as a surprise and was a pleasant one. I like this album way more upon repeated listens than I did at first blush. Saw them tour on this album twice here out West -- and I've seen them a bunch before -- and they were never finer than the time they played Santa Ana. Britt Daniel had one of those old school curly cords (I'm a dilettante -- what are they called?) and he just rocked to full effect. They put on a good old fashioned rock attack with three guys hooked up on guitar. Spoon sounded downright arena-ready in this club.

Hooo baby. Them and Mogwai for best rock show I've ever seen. 

Alright, I'm going to roll with it and make this pick, not sure if this is the one @Jaysus had in mind, both are excellent IMO.  My discovery of this band was the perfect example of always go see the opener. The first time I saw these guys was on January 27, 2017 in my little town of Peterborough as the opening act in front of my 5th round pick, Tokyo Police Club. Tiny venue (300 capacity I believe), small town and for some reason this band from New York has come along for the ride to open a small series of shows for TPC. And they ####### killed it. Already familiar with them, I saw them again on March 31, 2017, this time in Toronto at The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, one of the oldest and still best venues in the city. This time they were opening for Dan Boeckner/Operators (slight spotlighting but we've mentioned/drafted him a bunch of time in here already. 

This album came out April 13, 2017, so having seen them by chance twice in the preceding ten week window, I was probably destined to love this album, but also it ####### rules.

14.11 - Charly Bliss - Guppy (2017)

Glitter

Percolator

Black Hole

16...  Spoon - Hot Thoughts (2017)

One of my favorite bands.  And my favorite album that qualifies for this draft.

Hot Thoughts

WhisperI'lllistentohearit

Do I Have To Talk You Into It

Can I Sit Next To You
I probably should have taken this at some point, they're still my favourite band but they're so reliably great from one album to the next, I almost take them for granted. And then at the end of the year, theyr're all my most played songs of the year. Glad you have WhisperI'lllistentohearit on here, it emerged as my long term favourite from this album.

Northern Voice said:
I missed these guys at Wayhome in the worst festival conflict I think I've ever had to deal with. The one I went to is probably in my top 5 shows ever, so no foul but I still haven't seen this band.
Screw it, I'll just take this one next. There's a fine line to be walked in making a big mainstream rock album that gets major radio airplay, still rocks very hard and doesn't represent a band selling their soul to sound like what's current or changing who they are. This one and particularly the two main singles nail it.

15.11 - Foals - What Went Down (2016)

What Went Down (live at Wayhome) <- definitely my most replayed Youtube video, I was standing just to the right of this guy. I've told this before but I lost my sandals and maybe my sunglasses? in the madness you see in that video and some kind gentleman scooped them up for me and tracked me down and gave them to me when the set was finished.

Mountain at My Gates

Albatross

There's a fine line to be walked in making a big mainstream rock album that gets major radio airplay, still rocks very hard and doesn't represent a band selling their soul to sound like what's current or changing who they are. 
Another one in this vein, walking that tightrope between orchestral indie, butt-rock, emo, alternative and just great guitar based rock music, but they do it well. Some quotes from GB, @Pitchfork

16.11 - Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface (2017)

The Gold

The Silence

The Moth

They work best in that fertile terrain between commercial emo and adult contemporary indie: “The Moth” is their self-actualization, throwing ca. 2006 Band of Horses and Brand New in a The Fly-type teleportation machine, coming out 11 years later with dazzling arena-ready emo with biblical overtones and a southern accent but zero twang. Even with its rock-em, sock-em percussion, “The Wolf” is not all that far off from the Mumford & Sons song of the same name.

But there is so much production here—more vocal processing and overdubs than just about any chart pop album you can name. And for the most part, it’s awesome to behold; lord knows how they’ll perform the Pixies-gone-Megatron arrangement of “Lead, SD,” or the 12-sided harmonies that lunge out of “The Moth.” But when A Black Mile should be intimate, the same CGI leaves Hull as an overmatched lead in a Marvel Universe flick, drowned out by the sound effects and saddled with dialogue that’s too mordantly literal or subject to unconscious humor. There’s no way of proving Hull actually cribbed the melody from “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)” almost verbatim in “The Mistake”, but there’s also no way to unhear it.

Younger acts like Sorority Noise and Julien Baker have been vocal about Hull’s influence on their work, but this new record reveals something more. There’s a hole in the “rock is dead” argument that can’t be filled by merely rattling off the buzziest indie bands of the moment, or reclassifying pop acts like One Direction or Twenty One Pilots. The dream of the ’90s lives when Manchester Orchestra is on—a time when the Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam lorded over MTV and radio with emotionally conflicted, undeniably hooky, and loud rock. If Manchester Orchestra haven’t quite reached that level after A Black Mile to the Surface, it’s not for lack of trying.

The Gold

The Silence

The Moth 

Another one in this vein, walking that tightrope between orchestral indie, butt-rock, emo, alternative and just great guitar based rock music, but they do it well. Some quotes from GB, @Pitchfork

The Gold

The Silence

The Moth

Reveal hidden contents
They work best in that fertile terrain between commercial emo and adult contemporary indie: “The Moth” is their self-actualization, throwing ca. 2006 Band of Horses and Brand New in a The Fly-type teleportation machine, coming out 11 years later with dazzling arena-ready emo with biblical overtones and a southern accent but zero twang. Even with its rock-em, sock-em percussion, “The Wolf” is not all that far off from the Mumford & Sons song of the same name.

But there is so much production here—more vocal processing and overdubs than just about any chart pop album you can name. And for the most part, it’s awesome to behold; lord knows how they’ll perform the Pixies-gone-Megatron arrangement of “Lead, SD,” or the 12-sided harmonies that lunge out of “The Moth.” But when A Black Mile should be intimate, the same CGI leaves Hull as an overmatched lead in a Marvel Universe flick, drowned out by the sound effects and saddled with dialogue that’s too mordantly literal or subject to unconscious humor. There’s no way of proving Hull actually cribbed the melody from “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)” almost verbatim in “The Mistake”, but there’s also no way to unhear it.

Younger acts like Sorority Noise and Julien Baker have been vocal about Hull’s influence on their work, but this new record reveals something more. There’s a hole in the “rock is dead” argument that can’t be filled by merely rattling off the buzziest indie bands of the moment, or reclassifying pop acts like One Direction or Twenty One Pilots. The dream of the ’90s lives when Manchester Orchestra is on—a time when the Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam lorded over MTV and radio with emotionally conflicted, undeniably hooky, and loud rock. If Manchester Orchestra haven’t quite reached that level after A Black Mile to the Surface, it’s not for lack of trying.

The Gold

The Silence

The Moth 
There's a hole in the "rock is dead" argument followed by a list of bands that almost never charted top 40. GB, Pitchfork. 

:lmao:

Back to the pick. I was dead set on taking Mean Everything to Nothing until I found out it was 2009. So close. I'll really have to give this a listen. 

Shake It Out still gives me chills because of its raw emotion. 

17.05 - Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. - 2017

All caps and a period? Man, this guy must be serious. And from the teens. But flerk that. The periods were also the prescient aughts and there's always been a few caps along the way. Anyway, I selected this not only for the wonderful album moments, but also purely on the strength of DNA's drop from rap to bass that even a great subwoofer can't handle unless done perfectly and with enough um, POWER. Lamar's frenetic rap afterwards taking on all press, all comers, is something to behold, and bests just about everything Lamar has ever, ever done. Hairs on arms and chills. Check. 

DNA (time edit) (NSFW)

DNA (the sub drop) (NSFW)

HUMBLE (NSFW)

18.10 - Title Fight - Floral Green - 2012

What to do when you've put out the perfect hardcore album? Fade into obscurity with shoegaze and break up. That's what these guys from Eastern/Central PA did after this album, really a perfect genre mash up that realized hardcore doesn't need just one pedal, but throw in a few and give different dynamics, and you'll wind up with an album of depth heretofore unheard save for one hardcore guitarist prior. It was a curveball for the then-hardcore revivalism floating around with Earth Crisis, Judge, and the like. They were reestablishing their popularity and touring on it -- it was total purist hardcore. And then here was Title Fight zigging and zagging, making Title Fight's post-hardcore roots that much more discernible and powerful of a statement within the traditional SxE hardcore scene. Floral Green is just that manifestation then, mixing shoegaze with alternative to go with their Youth Of Today forebears. Lauded by many as a top hundred album of the decade, it's a steal here, unheard unfortunately, but wonderfully done. 

Numb, But I Still Feel It

Leaf

Like A Ritual

Secret Society

Round 17

Album: The King Is Dead

Artist: The Decemberists

Release Year: 2011

Calamity Song

January Hymn

Down By the Water

Speaking of R.E.M. these guys kind of remind me of them with their jangly guitars, countryesque indie sound and quirky poetic lyrics. Their fans likely consider their earlier records their peak, but this one would be my choice even without the decade constraint. 

Users who are viewing this thread