What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Jadeveon Clowney be suspended vs Green Bay? Entire Playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Would you suspend Clowney if you were the NFL Commish

• Yes

Votes: 56 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 98 51.9%
  • "I think you got bananas in your pancakes" MOP

Votes: 35 18.5%

• Total voters
https://streamable.com/fzb9z

Now, if Clowney's hit looked like this, people might have a point. Way worse hit, where is the outrage? Oh Lamar didn't get hurt, so no one is going to say anything. 
I agree.  Guy should have been flagged and tossed.  No comment on it because there was no thread specifically asking opinions on the hit. 🤔 

The fact that the NFL officiating crew missed another blatant cheap shot isn’t news.  He won’t get fined or suspended either.  Doesn’t change the fact that Clowney cheap shotted Wentz.  

I agree.  Guy should have been flagged and tossed.  No comment on it because there was no thread specifically asking opinions on the hit. 🤔 

The fact that the NFL officiating crew missed another blatant cheap shot isn’t news.  He won’t get fined or suspended either.  Doesn’t change the fact that Clowney cheap shotted Wentz.  
Didn't watch the game either and didn't look at the play so I can't comment.  

Simmons is a punk. Cheap shot on Lamar. Allegedly spat in the faces of a couple linemen. Talked the talk about learning and growing from his off-field incident in college. Well the early returns suggest he’s got a lot more growing left to do. Really good player though.

Not just a fine -- a $28K fine.  

Even if that block was technically illegal in a letter-of-the-law sense, and I'm not sure whether that's actually the case or not, no reasonable observer could possibly see a threat to player safety here that warrants a fine, let alone one of that magnitude.  There was absolutely nothing dangerous, vicious, or cheap-shotty about this play.  At the absolute worst, it is poor technique by Ford because he's arguably violating the strict letter of a poorly-written rule and giving the officials an opportunity to influence the game.

Not just a fine -- a $28K fine.  

Even if that block was technically illegal in a letter-of-the-law sense, and I'm not sure whether that's actually the case or not, no reasonable observer could possibly see a threat to player safety here that warrants a fine, let alone one of that magnitude.  There was absolutely nothing dangerous, vicious, or cheap-shotty about this play.  At the absolute worst, it is poor technique by Ford because he's arguably violating the strict letter of a poorly-written rule and giving the officials an opportunity to influence the game.
I'm not sure the message being sent here by the NFL. Head shots on a QB going to or already on the ground are ok and won't be fined if not called a penalty on the field. But if you block someone and they stumble a bit, you better be prepared to lose money.

I'm not sure the message being sent here by the NFL. Head shots on a QB going to or already on the ground are ok and won't be fined if not called a penalty on the field. But if you block someone and they stumble a bit, you better be prepared to lose money.
NFL is a enigma for sure

Hit a QB in the back of the head with your helmet while he is on the ground, causing a concussion. No fine or suspension.  

Throw a ball into the stands in celebration. $7000 fine!  That will teach him. 

NFL is a enigma for sure

Hit a QB in the back of the head with your helmet while he is on the ground, causing a concussion. No fine or suspension.  

Throw a ball into the stands in celebration. $7000 fine!  That will teach him. 
And I think that's what most of us want is consistency and common sense. If safety is the goal, call the game that way. Use some common sense in how a game is called and call the game the same each week/play. One week Wentz's knee is down going to the endzone but is untouched, he's ruled down and gave himself up. Now he was a runner and has no protection? On the Bills game, technically it's a penalty, but how is he supposed to play that. Stand still and hope the defender goes to him? Move away and let the QB be hit from behind? As a fan it's frustrating to see and rarely makes sense.

And I think that's what most of us want is consistency and common sense. If safety is the goal, call the game that way. Use some common sense in how a game is called and call the game the same each week/play. One week Wentz's knee is down going to the endzone but is untouched, he's ruled down and gave himself up. Now he was a runner and has no protection? On the Bills game, technically it's a penalty, but how is he supposed to play that. Stand still and hope the defender goes to him? Move away and let the QB be hit from behind? As a fan it's frustrating to see and rarely makes sense.
I agree on the consistency and common sense part of it.  I think the defense is hand cuffed too much with running QBs.  Once they get past the line of scrimmage, they shouldn't be allowed to slide.  Kind of a cost of running with the ball IMO.  If they can make a mad dash to the sidelines and get out of bounds, fine, but they should be treated like any other runner once they take off.  

But it is what it is, so the league needs to be consistent with the rule interpretation.   

Die hard life long Eagles fan. It was a foul, and should have been called.

BUT...it wasn't an egregious one. Calls like that get missed all the time. It wasn't fine worthy, let alone suspension worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread