What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (10 Viewers)

:lmao:

I trust the Steelers' evaluations of WRs over my own. I'm not complaining here. Mims and Claypool are VERY similar players, big, top-end speed, good body control, good hands, great blockers, not twitchy or YAC guys. I just don't know that I saw a single evaluation that ranked Claypool higher. Clearly theirs did. 
They have a track record for wide receivers, I'll give you that. Usually the go with the opposite type tho.

Jets take him.

I had read that Mims was great on screens and a majority of his production was from passes close to the LoS, more than anyone else in fbs.  

I know nothing about him but the highlights they just showed were pretty impressive and many against high-end competition.
I like the player just think he would have been there at 124. Steelers obviously disagree.

in my mock on page three of this thread I had him at pick 124

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers selected Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool with the No. 49 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

A three-year starter for The Fighting Irish, Claypool (6’4/238) played nearly every position en route to finishing top-10 in school history with 19 touchdown receptions. Unpolished at the position due to his start in basketball, Claypool didn't turn heads until posting career-highs in receptions (66), yards (1,037), and touchdowns (13) on a 28 percent target share as a senior, further flying up draft boards with a sterling showing of elite speed (99th-percentile 4.42 40) and hops (40.5-inch vertical) at Indy's Combine. On tape, he was a difficult tackle on underneath targets — PFF charted him with 27 broken tackles on 151 career catches — and buoyed his elite body control and size into 16 catches 20-plus yards downfield in '19. Claypool will provide a mismatch on offense at the next level, sticking on any roster across the league given his play on coverage teams in all four years at Notre Dame. Few prospects among this year's class sniff his upside. 

Apr 24, 2020, 8:23 PM ET

:lmao:

I trust the Steelers' evaluations of WRs over my own. I'm not complaining here. Mims and Claypool are VERY similar players, big, top-end speed, good body control, good hands, great blockers, not twitchy or YAC guys. I just don't know that I saw a single evaluation that ranked Claypool higher. Clearly theirs did. 
Hi Ray.  I'd have taken your evaluation over Artie Burns.  🤨  Yes. Hindsight is 20/20, but even at the time, who didn't think Burns was the biggest reach in all of Reachdom.  Obviously, I'm still bitter.  Gonna take my ball and go home. 

Seriously, Claypool makes a ton of sense. He can convert to a TE who can split out wide. Ben's Christmas wish is a BIG target who can blow the top off a D.  Merry Christmas Ben!  

I think they might be done at the skill positions already unless they fall in love with AJ Dillon. I don't think they're drafting a QB. 

QB - Roethlisberger / Rudolph / Hodges or Lynch

RB - Conner / Samuels / Snell / Watt (FB) 

WR - JuJu / Diontae / Washington / Claypool / Cain

TE - McDonald / Ebron / Gentry

May focus the rest of the draft on defensive and OL depth. 
Do these first three rounds help entrench Conner as the guy, at least in 2020? I don’t see him getting surpassed by a rd 4+ talent with possibly limited time in camps.

Do these first three rounds help entrench Conner as the guy, at least in 2020? I don’t see him getting surpassed by a rd 4+ talent with possibly limited time in camps.
Conner is a RB1 in the 'show me' year of his contract at a bargain rate. Question is will Tomlin rotate Samuels and Snell more frequently due to the injury history.

He can be but needs to stay healthy. I agree with @Grid71 that the big question is how many snaps will the other guys get

Ourlads 

Four-year starter, Plaquemine, LA. Consensus first-team All-America and three years All-Sun Belt Conference mention including first team the past two years. Shows exceptional power and hand placement in the run game. Physically tough and is a strong finisher to drive opponents to the ground. Big and long arms for the guard position. Light feet in pass protection. Can show and mirror any inside pass rusher up the field or drive them over the pile. Good initial move, contact, and follow through as a puller.

McFarland had better get a lesson on how to protect the football better. Surprising he didn't wait another year to improve his draft stock. 

On the bright side, his running style fits the Steelers blocking scheme perfectly.  Kid has good vision and burst to the next level.  Decisive running to daylight and stacking defenders. Playing speed is impressive.   

Seems like a reach at every pick. Claypool has potential and is the big target ben always loves, but man there were some good rbs there. Doesn’t help that Dobbins ends up in Baltimore (who somehow have 100 picks?). 

Read McFarland is a headcase. Not sure that a small rb works in Pittsburgh either.

And the olineman wasn’t even invited to the combine ....

Users who are viewing this thread