Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

21 minutes ago, Marmalade said:

High school Baseball trip to Florida cancelled.   Tournament director just sent out the notice.   Hotels are not wanting to refund the parent's money.   Good times. 

Which hotel?  I cancelled four hotel reservations today.  None of those, however, were made as non-refundable reservations.  I also received an email from IHG (Holiday Inn) saying they were waiving all cancellation fees for existing and new bookings for all IHG hotels globally.

From and ER doctor. No political objective 

Friends and family, I just wanted to say thank you again for all the support. Media is a new thing for me, and I'm learning along the way. I just want to express some concerns. First, as you all have seen tonight from Trump, the NBA, NCAA, University closings, and Tom Hanks even, that things are getting more serious in America.  Those of us living and breathing this pandemic 24 hours a day have foreseen these events for weeks, so we are not surprised, and it is going to get worse. Today is one of the inflection points we will look back on because this is historical time. You will remember this pandemic for the rest of your lives. Expect all sports and the Olympics to cancel or postpone. Expect graduations to be canceled. Expect businesses to close. I am preparing for those things. I am not an alarmist, and I am not a sunshine-pumper. I am an academic guided by the evidence and an oath-sworne physician. Everyone needs to take this situation very seriously. 

First, on the medical side of things, a lot of older, sicker folks are going to get very ill. Many will die despite our best efforts. This is a fact. It has started, and the virus will continue to spread. Stay home if you can and do not overwhelm the healthcare system. 

Second, there are serious societal effects that you all are starting to see. These will accelerate dramatically over the next week, and I think American society will be very different very soon. Temporarily. Again, the mortality rate of this virus is probably around 1-2 percent, as the oft shared Fox News interview I provided highlights (based on the Chinese data).  Please be careful if you only get your news there, I think what they are doing is dangerous. I will not return to the channel again because the physicians on their staff are irresponsible, to say the least. However, in addition to writing, I will be on CNN a lot more over the coming months.  Half of you will never watch it due to political beliefs. I get it. There are much better sources for medical insight and information than cable news anyway. 

But if you do watch, I promise that I will never lie to you, I will avoid politics whenever possible, and I will do my best to keep you all safe. If you are not a CNN watcher, I totally understand. If you are looking for a reliable physician source, please listen to every word that comes out of Dr. Fauci's mouth. I do. But please be wary of what President Trump is telling you, the measures he is taking during this pandemic, and the untruths about antivirals and vaccines coming. They are not. Physicians know this. Shutting down European travel will not keep you safe, the virus is already spreading in your state. 

Instead, prepare to hunker down for a few weeks, but do not hoard. Bring your parents home from the nursing home for a bit if you can, things are going to get very bad there. I apologize if this post gives some of you anxiety, but I don't care because you need to hear it from someone you trust. This is not the flu, there is no reason to believe it will go away soon, and a very large number of vulnerable people will probably die around the world. You need to be prepared that this will change your lifestyle. Schools will close. You will be off work. Try not to be scared for your health, be prepared and preventive. From a societal standpoint, things are going to get rocky for a while, and you need to be prepared so you are not caught off guard. 

Your life is important to me and I want to educate you on how to stay safe through this. Do not minimize this event, and do not panic. Listen to physicians, not politicians and pundits.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Oh sure, but given the other option of dismissive people, I prefer the people who are concerned. 

I find this to be the weirdest part.

We are dismissive of 99% of all other infectious diseases that are and have been a part of our daily lives.

Weird that a cold/flu symptom illness is the one we cower in fear at.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Which hotel?  I cancelled four hotel reservations today.  None of those, however, were made as non-refundable reservations.  I also received an email from IHG (Holiday Inn) saying they were waiving all cancellation fees for existing and new bookings for all IHG hotels globally.

Was in Pensacola.   Wife just said that the hotel is going to give back money.   Guess parent and future lost trip revenue pressure got to them?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was getting pretty tired of all the individual posts about "my kid's lacrosse tournament was postponed" or whatever, but I just received word that my favorite winery's tasting room is closed because they can't accommodate social distancing.  Now I understand.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 19
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

From and ER doctor. No political objective 

Friends and family, I just wanted to say thank you again for all the support. Media is a new thing for me, and I'm learning along the way. I just want to express some concerns. First, as you all have seen tonight from Trump, the NBA, NCAA, University closings, and Tom Hanks even, that things are getting more serious in America.  Those of us living and breathing this pandemic 24 hours a day have foreseen these events for weeks, so we are not surprised, and it is going to get worse. Today is one of the inflection points we will look back on because this is historical time. You will remember this pandemic for the rest of your lives. Expect all sports and the Olympics to cancel or postpone. Expect graduations to be canceled. Expect businesses to close. I am preparing for those things. I am not an alarmist, and I am not a sunshine-pumper. I am an academic guided by the evidence and an oath-sworne physician. Everyone needs to take this situation very seriously. 

First, on the medical side of things, a lot of older, sicker folks are going to get very ill. Many will die despite our best efforts. This is a fact. It has started, and the virus will continue to spread. Stay home if you can and do not overwhelm the healthcare system. 

Second, there are serious societal effects that you all are starting to see. These will accelerate dramatically over the next week, and I think American society will be very different very soon. Temporarily. Again, the mortality rate of this virus is probably around 1-2 percent, as the oft shared Fox News interview I provided highlights (based on the Chinese data).  Please be careful if you only get your news there, I think what they are doing is dangerous. I will not return to the channel again because the physicians on their staff are irresponsible, to say the least. However, in addition to writing, I will be on CNN a lot more over the coming months.  Half of you will never watch it due to political beliefs. I get it. There are much better sources for medical insight and information than cable news anyway. 

But if you do watch, I promise that I will never lie to you, I will avoid politics whenever possible, and I will do my best to keep you all safe. If you are not a CNN watcher, I totally understand. If you are looking for a reliable physician source, please listen to every word that comes out of Dr. Fauci's mouth. I do. But please be wary of what President Trump is telling you, the measures he is taking during this pandemic, and the untruths about antivirals and vaccines coming. They are not. Physicians know this. Shutting down European travel will not keep you safe, the virus is already spreading in your state. 

Instead, prepare to hunker down for a few weeks, but do not hoard. Bring your parents home from the nursing home for a bit if you can, things are going to get very bad there. I apologize if this post gives some of you anxiety, but I don't care because you need to hear it from someone you trust. This is not the flu, there is no reason to believe it will go away soon, and a very large number of vulnerable people will probably die around the world. You need to be prepared that this will change your lifestyle. Schools will close. You will be off work. Try not to be scared for your health, be prepared and preventive. From a societal standpoint, things are going to get rocky for a while, and you need to be prepared so you are not caught off guard. 

Your life is important to me and I want to educate you on how to stay safe through this. Do not minimize this event, and do not panic. Listen to physicians, not politicians and pundits.

Which doctor?

@Daniel_Rapaport: BREAKING: Players have just received a text saying the Players Championship has been cancelled.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, matuski said:

We are dismissive of 99% of all other infectious diseases that are and have been a part of our daily lives.

It's because we've been conditioned to be dismissive our whole lives. Watch that HistoryCh doc. This is getting pear shaped right in front of our eyes. I feel great sipping Woodfords and listening to Wilco right now but #### is getting real.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Day 4 of social isolation here at home. Been trying to get family used to eating rice and beans, but we’re still stocked on meats, veg and cheeses. Good practice to get the family used to eating food for calories and nutrients, and not taste. So far, rice goes over fine, but I’m the only one who will eat pinto beans. Have to work on that one. 

Tonight was smoked baby backs and grilled asparagus. We really have yet to test scarcity. 

Try NICARAGUAN GALLO PINTO ( RICE AND BEANS) Or try a Cuban flavor with rice and QUICK AND DELICIOSO CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEANS or, my favorite, an Indian flavor, basmati rice and  Spicy Vegan Lentil Dahl. The rest of the world has been eating flavorful rice and beans for centuries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, tonydead said:

:lmao:. Totally, dont get the let's practice all we have is rice and beans bit. 

i would be aiming to eat as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible while available. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS

GOOD NEWS: High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19

BAD NEWS: "high temperature and high relative humidity reduce the transmission of COVID-19 with a significance level of 1% and 5%, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0266 and 0.0106, respectively"

Meaning: Increasing the temp from 69 to 95 will reduce the Ro by 0.39. A 30% increase in RH will add .3 bringing the Ro reduction to about 0.7. 

Not ineffective but it takes a big change to make a measurable difference. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Day 4 of social isolation here at home. Been trying to get family used to eating rice and beans, but we’re still stocked on meats, veg and cheeses. Good practice to get the family used to eating food for calories and nutrients, and not taste. So far, rice goes over fine, but I’m the only one who will eat pinto beans. Have to work on that one. 

Tonight was smoked baby backs and grilled asparagus. We really have yet to test scarcity. 

I only see every 6th or 7th page of this thread and don't know the background to most posts. But every once in a while, I come across one like this and just think... wow.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Try NICARAGUAN GALLO PINTO ( RICE AND BEANS) Or try a Cuban flavor with rice and QUICK AND DELICIOSO CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEANS or, my favorite, an Indian flavor, basmati rice and  Spicy Vegan Lentil Dahl. The rest of the world has been eating flavorful rice and beans for centuries.

The deliciousness of Nicaraguan gallo pinto cannot be overstated.  Thanks for linking all of this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I couldn't do it guys. I couldn't deny handshakes/hugs when people are balling their eyes out. See you boys on the other side.

Edited by Weebs210
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, tuffnutt said:

I am at the High School state basketball touney here in Kansas. We play in semifinals tomorrow night. As of now everything is still a go. girls games tonight. I did hear that over in Missouri they have limited each school a 150 maximum of fans allowed in stadium.

Just cancelled state tournament. Prob the right call, but we had a shot at winning the dang thing

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, tuffnutt said:

Just cancelled state tournament. Prob the right call, but we had a shot at winning the dang thing

Virginia boys basketball championship was canceled. Was supposed to be this weekend. My kids’ HS was in the championship for the first time. The school was going to bus students down to Richmond. The school was really excited. 

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I only see every 6th or 7th page of this thread and don't know the background to most posts. But every once in a while, I come across one like this and just think... wow.

Friends thought we were a bit loopy Monday, when we made the decision to take the kids out of school a week before Spring Break. Now most of our friends tell us they intend to hunker down starting this weekend. We were just a week ahead. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

The deliciousness of Nicaraguan gallo pinto cannot be overstated.  Thanks for linking all of this.

Well now I'm curious! Just saved it for this weekend 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

Buddy of mine who’s a wicked smaht stats type said he thinks peak freak out will be in the next few weeks. Predicts once healthy people get it and find out its bad but not terrible people will be a little less fearful. 

I own 2 businesses. Already gaming out how long I can keep my 9 employees paid (or semi-paid) in the case of significantly decreased sales (we can B/E at a 20% reduction in revenue @ current staffing levels for a month or two). 

If that is the case, why is China still locking down cities hundreds of miles from Wuhan with only a handful of cases. This is what is concerning to me.

:source: commissioner of one of my dynasty leagues, detroit native that now lives in Panzhihua.

Edited by MTskibum
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

By the way, I expect that my family and I will get this. I just don’t want us to have it when healthcare resources are taxed. Strategy is to avoid getting it at least before June.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Leave it to my state to come up with an alternative to the sports viewing conundrum. My son's high school basketball team is still alive in their state tournament. With everyplace bailing out on just about any sporting event, we thought for sure the rest of the tournament would be cancelled. They didn't cancel, nor did they opt to play without any spectators. Instead, their work around is to give each player 4 tickets, which are intended for family use only (not other students). With 15 kids on each team, that would mean a max of 120 people in attendance. At least that is the plan, but they still have 2 days to back out.

Dear Diary,

We got hit today with the Corona at work. Sick person was at work, shutting down for deep cleaning next 2 days - even for those who couldn’t WFH. Complete closure. They say back on Monday for people who can’t work from home. We’ll see.

Just opened our best bottle of Stag’s Leap. Gonna let it breath for an hour while the wife and I make a good dinner with the food she has been collecting over past week at my urging due to my pals freaking me out on the FFA.

Best wishes to you all. Be safe.

-The General 

• Like 16
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, [icon] said:

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS

GOOD NEWS: High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19

BAD NEWS: "high temperature and high relative humidity reduce the transmission of COVID-19 with a significance level of 1% and 5%, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0266 and 0.0106, respectively"

Meaning: Increasing the temp from 69 to 95 will reduce the Ro by 0.39. A 30% increase in RH will add .3 bringing the Ro reduction to about 0.7. 

Not ineffective but it takes a big change to make a measurable difference. 

That’s assuming it’s a linear relationship.  In most cases, these types of associations are far more complicated than just being linear.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Here's a spice blend I use in tons of stuff.  It will ramp up the flavor in a pot o' beans, and rice too.

Deep Undertones (mix all in a spice mill) - from this guy

• 1 T cumin seeds
  • 2 t course salt
  • 1.75 t instant coffee 
  • 1.5 t dried basil (prefereably Thai basil)
  • 1.25 t dry mustard
  • 1 t whole black peppercorns
  • 0.75 t dried sage
  • 0.5 t paprika
  • 0.25 t coriander seeds

This guy's recipes tend to lean heavy on the cumin.  Halve the 1 T if you think it fits your taste.

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, shader said:

Disney World is closed

Sorry folks, Park's closed!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4

14 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Friends thought we were a bit loopy Monday, when we made the decision to take the kids out of school a week before Spring Break. Now most of our friends tell us they intend to hunker down starting this weekend. We were just a week ahead. 

How is the vegetable garden coming along?

I bought 2 bunches of asparagus on Sunday.  I put one in a jar with an inch of water to see how long it can keep outside the fridge.  The stalks stay perfectly fresh so far and have grown 2-3 inches taller!!

Silver lining?  How many of these jobs that are going to temporary WFH will become permanent WFH or part-time WFH?  I guess it will depend on the productivity numbers.  I'm sure some will take advantage of the situation.

Just now, WDIK2 said:

Silver lining?  How many of these jobs that are going to temporary WFH will become permanent WFH or part-time WFH?  I guess it will depend on the productivity numbers.  I'm sure some will take advantage of the situation.

I would love this!

6 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Sorry folks, Park's closed!

One of my favourite movies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got my first personal story of someone who was exposed to a known coronavirus case, got sick, and was refused testing (in TX) last week. They went to the ER, got a test for flu (negative), were turned down for not meeting testing criteria, and were sent home with some drugs. They were not instructed to quarantine or anything else, but did so on their own. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Herb said:
12 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

I was going to post this earlier, but got sidetracked. Is that your local news?

It's good news, but my understanding is that there are many tests that have been developed privately, however, the FDA/CDC is requiring that they be approved and there's a multi-week process for that. I think it was covered in that NYT article that talked about the Seattle flu researchers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, matuski said:

The ER doc post right above your post explains it well.

Edited by NotSmart

2 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Got my first personal story of someone who was exposed to a known coronavirus case, got sick, and was refused testing (in TX) last week. They went to the ER, got a test for flu (negative), were turned down for not meeting testing criteria, and were sent home with some drugs. They were not instructed to quarantine or anything else, but did so on their own. 

Where at in Texas?

1 minute ago, MTskibum said:

Where at in Texas?

Austin

40 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

I couldn't do it guys. I couldn't deny handshakes/hugs when people are balling their eyes out. See you boys on the other side.

I was at a funeral last weekend.

Ditto, I understand.

so I have some good news.  Business is booming for us right now.  Things are looking up for us production wise.

All of our China suppliers have been up and running since Feb 9 when they got back from their extended CNY.  We have asked them to pump up production and maintain roughly 2x stock they normally would to absorb any bumps in the road before it gets to us, so we have the ability to continue to build at full production.

That being said, we have been getting some really large orders from some major retailers (including major internet direct sales) lately.  I think that may be due to them doing the same to us that we did to our suppliers, or it may be due to a recent successful product launchl.  Either way, it means we have little appetite for shutting down right now.

We are taking precautions.  I'm not privy to what is going on with the assembly lines - I assume hand sanitizer and gloves; I hope a lenient absent policy to care for loved ones as well.  For the office staff, we are doing our dry run for WFH on Monday.  That will be fun.  We had a big company meeting scheduled yesterday that got cancelled - instead it will be tomorrow, but everyone is supposed to remove-view from their offices or conference rooms.  It's funny - apparently the presentation hardware (software?) can only handle 50 people viewing at a time, so they asked us to get together with officemates or conference rooms.  Apparently they figure lots of small groups are better than one large one. 

If it came to it, I'd prefer to go into the office vs WFH.  I have my own office with a door I can close.  I don't rely on public transportation to get to and fro, and I could, in theory, go all day without talking to anyone.  Anything I can do from home, I can do easier at work.  Also, work has toilet paper and hand sanitizer so...

Our business is not one that is subject to any of this mess - I think we will be ok.

Just wanted to post something that seems to be working out OK for a change.

• Like 10

Mayo Clinic develops test to detect COVID-19 infection

Mayo Clinic has developed a test that can detect the SARS-CoV-2 virus in clinical samples. The SARS-CoV-2 virus causes COVID-19.

The test, "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS CoV-2), Molecular Detection" has been fully validated. Data from this test will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration for review and emergency use authorization.

"This test should help ease some of the burden that is currently being felt at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state public health laboratories," says William Morice II, M.D., Ph.D., president of Mayo Clinic Laboratories. "We are doing everything we can to help relieve the burden during this time to provide answers for patients here in Rochester and around the world."

The real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test can identify SARS-CoV-2 from a variety of clinical samples. It has been validated to test respiratory samples collected from suspected COVID-19 patients. The samples can be collected using nasopharyngeal swabs, sputum, throat swabs, bronchoalveolar lavages, and bronchial washings.

Mayo Clinic will follow CDC's recommended guidelines for SARS-CoV-2 testing, allowing U.S. health care providers to send testing directly to Mayo Clinic. For existing Mayo Clinic Laboratories clients, the SARS-CoV-2 assay will be offered in the U.S. and abroad.

Faster turnaround time for SARS-CoV-2 result

"An individual can now receive his or her result for SARS-CoV-2 within 24 hours," says Matthew Binnicker, Ph.D., Clinical Microbiology, who is director of the Clinical Virology Laboratory at Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

Through collaborations with clinicians at Mayo Clinic and health care providers around the world, Mayo Clinic's sub-specialized laboratories are a critical component to patient care.

Mayo Clinic has been in close contact with officials from the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"We have the expertise to create tests such as this one, and we felt it was our obligation to help ease the burden that the CDC and public health laboratories are feeling at this time," Dr. Binnicker says.

All positive samples will be sent to the Minnesota Department of Health or CDC for appropriate follow-up testing and confirmation. Then test results will be communicated with public health officials, per their respective guidelines.

Sorry, can't link this, but the bolded addresses the fact that this will be fast-tracked (hopefully) by the FDA. I do not know what sort of time frame is involved normally, but am hopeful that emergency use authorization means ASAP.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

By the way, I expect that my family and I will get this. I just don’t want us to have it when healthcare resources are taxed. Strategy is to avoid getting it at least before June.

My dentist reminded me of my appointment on Tuesday.  Maybe it is worth the risk... who does not want to die with clean teeth?

Edited by bradyfan
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, FBG26 said:

Rice and beans can produce a lot of natural gas, which can then be used to heat the house. Natural gas also tends to keep people away, and nobody wants intruders. 

Simethicone : $7/100 

:) 

6 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Austin

Not surprised. I’m here, and it’s why I’m socially distancing to see where things shake out.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Conversely, you could get in early before the resources are taxed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Austin

no wonder we don't have any confirmed cases

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, FBG26 said:

Rice and beans can produce a lot of natural gas, which can then be used to heat the house. Natural gas also tends to keep people away, and nobody wants intruders. 

Only the beans because they contain a sugar that our body can not break down.  Rice is the only grain that does not cause gas because it is fully digested in the small intestines.

• Thanks 1

Another joke I stole...

Experts are recommending that the guideline for social distancing be to keep 3-6 feet from each other.

Minnesotans collectively replied, "We can't possibly get that close to each other."

• Like 6
  • Laughing 5