What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

Testing question:

If you get tested for Covid-19, and have already had the virus in the past, do you get that info provided to you in the test results?
If you test positive it means that you have been infected with the virus, but the test results can't tell you when that happened.

Well.  It does seem that you can test positive two weeks after being symptomatic.  Not sure if that is your exact question
I was more wondering if someone had already had the virus and recovered from it and was symptom free now, would the test show that, and would the patient be told that info?

Read this.   Then read this, particularly the part about the estimate on how many infections we currently have in the US.

We look to be past the point of containment.  Social distancing may well crunch the curve, but we'll still end up with about half the population exposed.   Our best hope  is that we warm up quick and end up on the warm country line instead of the regular exponential line.
From your first article:

40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. 

I will wager any amount of money that anyone would like that we don’t hit 150 million cases of this.

As of a few days ago there was almost zero testing. No chance in hell they were using a valuable test on a dead body. Zero chance. 
You really think there are a significant number of people that have died from this that we haven’t counted? Really?

From your first article:

40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. 

I will wager any amount of money that anyone would like that we don’t hit 150 million cases of this.
No one on earth had immunity to this - a significant percentage of the world's population will get it.

It's literally a pandemic.

Here are some of the relevant numbers:

There are ~950k hospital beds in the US.  At any time, 600k-650k of them are taken up by chronically ill people.  That means there are 300k-350k beds available for COVID-19 victims without overwhelming the system.  This is why it's so important that we spread the victims over time and not have a spike.  

No thanks, because it doesn't seem like an appropriate thing to wager on.

Besides, a significant number of infected people will never be tested and confirmed - in the end the generally accepted statistical numbers will be estimates based on extrapolating data.
We could donate the winnings to COVID19 charities.

But I do agree it will be tough to track. 

I was more wondering if someone had already had the virus and recovered from it and was symptom free now, would the test show that, and would the patient be told that info?
I need to dig up a cite when I’m not in bed ... but there is a test for the antibodies that the immune system creates to fight off COVID. A recovered COVID patient would test positive for the antibodies, but negative (or very low) for viral load.

EDIT: Good layman’s article regarding the various methods of testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Just going with what we have now.

I assume you also agree that the reported cases are WAY low?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Assuming this site is kinda, sorta, accurate - the mortality rate is more around 7%. If you look at #deaths/(#recovered + #deaths) and if you think the numbers coming out of China are accurate then the death rate is going to be much, much higher than any seasonal flu. If you exclude China the #deaths/(#recovered + #deaths) = 25% - which is insane under any circumstances. I don't know what the actual rate is going to be but I think 2% (what was initially claimed) is really a best case scenario.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277

2/12 - 490

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/1 -    9,039 reported cases - 133 dead - USA 76 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/10 - 38,453 reported cases - 1,132 dead - USA 975 cases - 30 dead

3/11 - 45,386 reported cases - 1443 dead - USA 1,168 cases - 36 dead

3/12 - 53,763 reported cases - 1802 dead - USA 1,716 cases - 41 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/14 - 75,916 reported cases - 2,640 dead - USA 2,995 cases - 60 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Assuming this site is kinda, sorta, accurate - the mortality rate is more around 7%. If you look at #deaths/(#recovered + #deaths) and if you think the numbers coming out of China are accurate then the death rate is going to be much, much higher than any seasonal flu. If you exclude China the #deaths/(#recovered + #deaths) = 25% - which is insane under any circumstances. I don't know what the actual rate is going to be but I think 2% (what was initially claimed) is really a best case scenario.
how do you explain S. Korea's 0.7% mortality rate? if anything I would see that is a reliable number due to the sheer amount of testing they have done. Keep in mind, I am talking about the true mortality rate, not the mortality rate which may be increased (as in Italy) due to health care shortages.

Dr Fauci says probably around 1%. Need to remember all these stats are missing undiagnosed cases in the denominator. I think it's true however that we don't really know the numerator either. At that rate, still 10 times deadlier than the flu.

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you explain S. Korea's 0.7% mortality rate? if anything I would see that is a reliable number due to the sheer amount of testing they have done. Keep in mind, I am talking about the true mortality rate, not the mortality rate which may be increased (as in Italy) due to health care shortages.
It isn't .7% because the illness is ongoing. Ultimately, mortality rate is going to be #deaths/#infected but *right now* it is better to look at #deaths/(#deaths + #recovered). Suppose I infected the entire world tonight with COVID19... the mortality rate isn't really going to be anywhere close to 5K/7.7B because there would be about 7.7B cases where we don't know the outcome. S. Korea, when looking at deaths vs. recoveries has a mortality rate of 8%.

Dr Fauci says probably around 1%. Need to remember all these stats are missing undiagnosed cases in the denominator. I think it's true however that we don't really know the denominator either. At that rate, still 10 times deadlier than the flu.
Right, there are a lot of unknowns but the point is no one should be thinking this is anything close to a bad flu season or that the threat risk is being overstated.

We were warned in this 2017 documentary that we were due for a pandemic but instead CDC received cuts. Now it's costing so much more to get a handle on it than it would have had we been prepared. Scary stuff.

It isn't .7% because the illness is ongoing. Ultimately, mortality rate is going to be #deaths/#infected but *right now* it is better to look at #deaths/(#deaths + #recovered). Suppose I infected the entire world tonight with COVID19... the mortality rate isn't really going to be anywhere close to 5K/7.7B because there would be about 7.7B cases where we don't know the outcome. S. Korea, when looking at deaths vs. recoveries has a mortality rate of 8%.
So even though 92% of open cases worldwide are considered mild, you want to cause even more panic by using inflated numbers that have zero chance of occurring?

So even though 92% of open cases worldwide are considered mild, you want to cause even more panic by using inflated numbers that have zero chance of occurring?
Where did I say anything like that? All I am trying to say is that the numbers are nothing close to the flu. Also, who cares if 92% of the cases are mild? No one is concerned about mild cases except in regards to infecting others.

Where did I say anything like that? All I am trying to say is that the numbers are nothing close to the flu. Also, who cares if 92% of the cases are mild? No one is concerned about mild cases except in regards to infecting others.
Huh? Maybe I missed something.

Your equation for determining the death rate doesn’t take into account that the vast majority of people who have the disease are not going to die. So it artificially inflates the death rate.

Maybe I missed something in your post?

Never knew your were in Fairfax County.  :hifive:

Sorry for the high five. You need to wash your hands now. 
I’ve also in the county, within walking distance of the high school you referred to in an earlier post having their championship game cancelled. 

If 30k people die a year from the flu, and the death rate is 0.1%, that means we have 30 million flu cases each year. China has had 80 thousand cases of Corona, and they completely botched things early.

Just putting some numbers out there.
No they didn't. And they locked down an entire area then country to an extent we will never see here. 

If not for their strict isolation, those numbers would be tremendously higher.

So, I have a family member who began to show symptoms on Tuesday, and was confirmed to have it yesterday. They have been quartined. He will be fine, but a scan from Tuesday to Friday shows signifant lung scarring. They will have another scan Tuesday. They have two family members who were tested, and then told to self quarantine in seperate locations. This is the part that blows my mind. They could have it and are getting parted out to other areas, and could possibly spread it.

I voted a 6 in the other thread. In the last 24 hrs my work and kids school are closed for 2 weeks, grocery store had nothing, and family member is diagnosed. This is rapid.
That sucks bad.  I hope your family member fights through this and comes out well.  Mind me asking you what their age is?

As a board member of my Chamber of Commerce, we are going on the offensive trying to keep local businesses supported. So I figure I'd post some things here too for your own communities. 

• Gift cards: even if you dont want to dine out, go buy a few gift cards now for you local fav restaurants so they have some income, and then go dine once this blows over and things are back to normal. Some of our restaurants are offering bonus GC's if you buy one right now. 

• Look for businesses that deliver, or at least offer curbside delivery. Some bagels stores are offering call ahead ordering with curbside p/u. Pharmacies too are deliverig your meds curbside if they dont have a drive up window

• If you are on "work from home" status, now is a great time to do those car repairs you were putting off b/c you couldn't be without your ride. 

• Many smaller locations may still have supplies that the larger big box stores have long run out of

• Back to restaurants, some have removed tables to add extra 'social distance' between patrons. 

Any other examples you are seeing in your business communities? 
There's a COVID tent with 40 extra "beds" set up outside the hospital in which I work. Unfortunately, business is booming.

My brother and sister in law both work at the hospital (he's a radiology tech, she's an RN) - he tells me the medical community in general feel like it's already been here and has infected millions since Dec. Tons of people who thought they had the flu may very well have had this. 
That is probably true and isn’t necessarily bad. People may have some immunity now. 

I am pretty tired of every medical worker now thinking they are an expert and having to weigh in. 

Look I get it, you are a physical therapist that is active on social media, but you arent getting your information from classes you are taking, you are just reading the same articles everybody else is. 
Sorry 🤷‍♂️

Italy started locking things down on 3/8.  They had 7,375 cases that day, or 12.2 cases per 100k.  Today, Washington State has 569 cases, or 7.6 cases per 100k - almost 1/2 the total number of per capita cases that Italy did.  My home state of South Carolina is locking things down with 13 cases , or 0.26 per 100k.
I loved your post but wanted to address this: 

Comparing us to Italy and saying we are better off because we had fewer confirmed cases is fallacious IMO. 

We have been criminally negligent in testing. True estimates on cases right now range from tens of thousands to half a million. 

IMO that metric is wayyyyyyyy too far off to consider viable for comparison. 

Users who are viewing this thread